Groups

We're off to new york, we need all your advice on where to visit and what to see

Hi guys, were off to the big apple in just over a week and want to know if the new york pass is good value, does the queue jump thing really work?
    I would also love to do a helicopter ride, any advice there?
    Ooooh and maybe a show too, what the word on the street boys and girls?

All help will be greatly appreciated

Cheers

42 Comments

Give the Mexican restaurants a skip :whistling:

I cant answer the important questions, your guess is as good as mine...

but have a lovely time x x

Banned

yeh lol take masks with you!

I've never been, but broadway would be a must for me, as would Macys, no idea why except they're the icons I associate with NY along with the norm liberty, empire etc etc.

Once in a lifetime trip (or even if it isn't, treat it like it is) and keep a camera on you at all times-I've heard all the celebs like it there lol

You must go and see the Lion King at the New Amsterdam theatre. If you go to the theatre at about 4pm you can wait in a line for retuned tickets. we waited 30mins and got the 3rd row stalls for $50 a piece. Best show I've ever seen...

Banned

I would definitely recommend the NY Pass. We went this time last year and saved a lot with it. It covers all the main attractions and gives you money to spend in Planet Hollywood each day. It also includes 'The Beast' which is a speed-boat ride which takes you out past the Statue of Liberty- i'd highly recommend this. We liked the fact that it meant you could just visit attractions for a short time without feeling the need to spend hours to get value out of your ticket. The queues weren't all that big so I didn't notice much of a difference with that.
    :-D

We dont bother with th New York passes......been in February twice and once in October and cant say we have ever really had to queue for anything.
    Went to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang on Broadway......amazing.
    Must place to shop is Century21 right next to ground zero.....lots of last seasons designer clothing and shoes at rock bottom prices......a big store so give yourself plenty of time to browse through the thousands of racks!
    Use the subway as your main form of transport as cabs spend most of their time stuck in traffic. I loved the subway and felt very safe as lots of police presence.
    How about a visit to Madison Square Gardens for a tour.....interesting for sports fans.
    Take the free Statten Island ferry for great views of Manhatten, Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.

Grand Central Station is breathtaking and pop downstairs for the famous New York cheesecake at Juniors.......mmmmmmm I can taste it now!

But above all, have a fantastic time and savour every minute..........we are going back next year

what time of year u going?

Original Poster

H_K;5119525

yeh lol take masks with you!I've never been, but broadway would be a must … yeh lol take masks with you!I've never been, but broadway would be a must for me, as would Macys, no idea why except they're the icons I associate with NY along with the norm liberty, empire etc etc.Once in a lifetime trip (or even if it isn't, treat it like it is) and keep a camera on you at all times-I've heard all the celebs like it there lol

maybe not once in a lifetime if we like it, my missus has been a few times but its my first visit, got my dslr a compact and bought myself a sweet new hd camcorder, so family and friends will be bored to tears of pictures and stuff hahaha

we will see celebs, were staying in a swanky hotel so its kind of a guaranteed, hope they dont mob me for my piccie haha

Original Poster

dinglebin;5119602

You must go and see the Lion King at the New Amsterdam theatre. If you … You must go and see the Lion King at the New Amsterdam theatre. If you go to the theatre at about 4pm you can wait in a line for retuned tickets. we waited 30mins and got the 3rd row stalls for $50 a piece. Best show I've ever seen...

massive baragain!!! thanks for the nod, will bear that in mind

Original Poster

dinglebin;5119661

what time of year u going?

next week!!! left it while last minute i know, lol

empire state building at sun set and wait for the city lights to come on. That's cool

Original Poster

claire89;5119654

I would definitely recommend the NY Pass. We went this time last year and … I would definitely recommend the NY Pass. We went this time last year and saved a lot with it. It covers all the main attractions and gives you money to spend in Planet Hollywood each day. It also includes 'The Beast' which is a speed-boat ride which takes you out past the Statue of Liberty- i'd highly recommend this. We liked the fact that it meant you could just visit attractions for a short time without feeling the need to spend hours to get value out of your ticket. The queues weren't all that big so I didn't notice much of a difference with that.:-D

thats great advice cheers, the beast sounds ace!!!

Original Poster

dinglebin;5119689

empire state building at sun set and wait for the city lights to come on. … empire state building at sun set and wait for the city lights to come on. That's cool

i was gonna do the rockafeller for this to see the empire at night, woul dreally like to do a heli flight at dusk but seems they dont do night flights

Banned

Forgot to mention, there are half-price tickets for show available from TKTS booths. There's a booth at Times Square and also South Street Sea-Port. We went to the Sea-Port one as it opens before the Times Square one so had lots of availability and a short queue.
    You just turn up and they tell you which shows have tickets available for that night. We went to 'Phantom of the Opera' and 'Hairspray'.

Original Poster

bitseylango;5119658

We dont bother with th New York passes......been in February twice and … We dont bother with th New York passes......been in February twice and once in October and cant say we have ever really had to queue for anything. Went to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang on Broadway......amazing. Must place to shop is Century21 right next to ground zero.....lots of last seasons designer clothing and shoes at rock bottom prices......a big store so give yourself plenty of time to browse through the thousands of racks! Use the subway as your main form of transport as cabs spend most of their time stuck in traffic. I loved the subway and felt very safe as lots of police presence. How about a visit to Madison Square Gardens for a tour.....interesting for sports fans. Take the free Statten Island ferry for great views of Manhatten, Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.Grand Central Station is breathtaking and pop downstairs for the famous New York cheesecake at Juniors.......mmmmmmm I can taste it now! But above all, have a fantastic time and savour every minute..........we are going back next year

thanks, but is it because you have been and seen most of the things as to why you dont get the pass now? my good lady's eyes lit up when she heard about the cheesecake!!! typical!!!!
    not going to spend ages in the shops, went to dubai a few months since and everyone said we had to go to the malls, we went in one and it was like bleedin meadowhell!!! plus it wasnt that cheap, i wanted a new watch and they were still a few hundred quid dearer than deals over here

any other tips then? more cheesecake spots would be good so im told!!!

Original Poster

claire89;5119750

Forgot to mention, there are half-price tickets for show available from … Forgot to mention, there are half-price tickets for show available from TKTS booths. There's a booth at Times Square and also South Street Sea-Port. We went to the Sea-Port one as it opens before the Times Square one so had lots of availability and a short queue. You just turn up and they tell you which shows have tickets available for that night. We went to 'Phantom of the Opera' and 'Hairspray'.

ooooh i fancy phantom, woul dbe so nice to see it in ny

lots of great information there _ the helicopter rides are about $99 per person and are for 1/2 hr

markhodges1975;5119764

thanks, but is it because you have been and seen most of the things as to … thanks, but is it because you have been and seen most of the things as to why you dont get the pass now? my good lady's eyes lit up when she heard about the cheesecake!!! typical!!!! not going to spend ages in the shops, went to dubai a few months since and everyone said we had to go to the malls, we went in one and it was like bleedin meadowhell!!! plus it wasnt that cheap, i wanted a new watch and they were still a few hundred quid dearer than deals over hereany other tips then? more cheesecake spots would be good so im told!!!

The Brooklyn Diner on 57th street is very nice.....huge portions that are impossible to finish

The first time my OH took me we went for a walk through Central Park and watched Nicole Kidman filming "Birth" got lots of photos :-D
    Also saw Simon Pegg filming in the police museum the second time we went, left my bloody camera in the hotel that day :roll:

markhodges1975;5119764

thanks, but is it because you have been and seen most of the things as to … thanks, but is it because you have been and seen most of the things as to why you dont get the pass now? my good lady's eyes lit up when she heard about the cheesecake!!! typical!!!! not going to spend ages in the shops, went to dubai a few months since and everyone said we had to go to the malls, we went in one and it was like bleedin meadowhell!!! plus it wasnt that cheap, i wanted a new watch and they were still a few hundred quid dearer than deals over hereany other tips then? more cheesecake spots would be good so im told!!!

They did a great cheescake at the restaurant overlooking the ice rink at the rockafella center (notice the yank spelling)

bitseylango;5119840

Also saw Simon Pegg filming in the police museum the second time we went, … Also saw Simon Pegg filming in the police museum the second time we went, left my bloody camera in the hotel that day :roll:

When I was there a few years ago they were filming an episode of Law and Order Criminal Intent in Times Sq. Me and my mate were stood in the shot. One of the staff said to stay where we were but to 'look natural'.
    Waits for years looking at every episode to see if it was the one 'we were in'.
    So it turns up last year and I'm watching it like a hawk to see if I could see us. It took me 2 hours with Sky+ to track us down. We were in the shot for 1 frame (I kid you not) when a big bus drove in front of us. By the time the bus had gone the shot had changed!
    I saved it anyway for a while but deleted it by accident when tidying my planner up!

Ooh, I'm so jealous! You'll have a fab time!!

I've been 3 times now & everytime has been different than the last.

First up, I would recommend the views from the Rockerfella (top of the rock) over the Empire State. With the Rockerfella, you get the views of Central Park & the Empire State. With the Empire State, you get a view of the Rockerfella!!

I asked a New Yorker the one thing he'd recommend over everything else in the city. He said Juniors cheesecake. So there you go, you must take your wife!

Take a Staten Island Ferry, it's FREE! Takes about half an hour each way but you get great views of the city.

Walk the Brooklyn Bridge. If you go left at the end & head through the cobbled streets, you get an amazing view. Brooklyn Bridge on your left & the Manhattan Bridge to your right. It's pretty cool!

Have fun & keep your eyes peeled for them famous people :thumbsup:

Rockefeller +1.
    Great view of the Empire State + Central Park.

NY Pass +1

Helicopter ride - brilliant.

If you're taking young children there's a children's museum on Statten Island which was great. Also Coney island (short tube ride) for the boardwalk, aquarium, funfair & Cyclone roller coaster.

Get cheaper tickets here before you go: attraction-tickets-direct.co.uk/new…htm

Admin

We were in NY a couple of weeks ago, definitely go to Chinatown for something a bit different. Try the bars in East Village as opposed to Midtown, really funky and not as expensive. Recommend ThreeofCups for yummy stonebaked Pizza and The Blind Pig for an All American Burger and Beer!
    If you go shopping in Macy's, take your passport to the mezzanine floor above ground floor and you'll be given a discount card.
    Try not to get hustled, there are guys everywhere trying to sell tickets, cds etc, just keep walking.

The Subway is an awesome way of avoiding the gridlocked traffic, not difficult to use and handy if you want to head for battery park (Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island etc)

Original Poster

octobergirl;5119826

lots of great information there _ the helicopter rides are about $99 per … lots of great information there _ the helicopter rides are about $99 per person and are for 1/2 hr

what information? where? there was no link or site address

cheers

Original Poster

juliet_bravo;5122229

We were in NY a couple of weeks ago, definitely go to Chinatown for … We were in NY a couple of weeks ago, definitely go to Chinatown for something a bit different. Try the bars in East Village as opposed to Midtown, really funky and not as expensive. Recommend ThreeofCups for yummy stonebaked Pizza and The Blind Pig for an All American Burger and Beer!If you go shopping in Macy's, take your passport to the mezzanine floor above ground floor and you'll be given a discount card.Try not to get hustled, there are guys everywhere trying to sell tickets, cds etc, just keep walking.The Subway is an awesome way of avoiding the gridlocked traffic, not difficult to use and handy if you want to head for battery park (Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island etc)

my g/f is scared sill of going on the subway, did you feel safe enough on it?

the blind pig for me!!!! yum yum

brink me back some devils food cheesecake from juniors will you?

Original Poster

beatrixkiddo79;5120539

Ooh, I'm so jealous! You'll have a fab time!!I've been 3 times now & … Ooh, I'm so jealous! You'll have a fab time!!I've been 3 times now & everytime has been different than the last.First up, I would recommend the views from the Rockerfella (top of the rock) over the Empire State. With the Rockerfella, you get the views of Central Park & the Empire State. With the Empire State, you get a view of the Rockerfella!!I asked a New Yorker the one thing he'd recommend over everything else in the city. He said Juniors cheesecake. So there you go, you must take your wife!Take a Staten Island Ferry, it's FREE! Takes about half an hour each way but you get great views of the city.Walk the Brooklyn Bridge. If you go left at the end & head through the cobbled streets, you get an amazing view. Brooklyn Bridge on your left & the Manhattan Bridge to your right. It's pretty cool!Have fun & keep your eyes peeled for them famous people :thumbsup:

juniors is a must, ive heard it twice on this single thread now, i dont think we are staying too far from grand central so will pop down to that one for some yummy cheesecake, mmmmmmm

Original Poster

MinstrelMan;5122676

brink me back some devils food cheesecake from juniors will you?

whats devils food?

markhodges1975;5122686

whats devils food?

chocolate and a hell of a lot off it :thumbsup:

I've bee given my orders to go back to NY, just for that.

markhodges1975;5122684

juniors is a must, ive heard it twice on this single thread now, i dont … juniors is a must, ive heard it twice on this single thread now, i dont think we are staying too far from grand central so will pop down to that one for some yummy cheesecake, mmmmmmm

there is the stall in grand central, but theres also a shop and restaraunt just off times square.

Original Poster

MinstrelMan;5122703

there is the stall in grand central, but theres also a shop and … there is the stall in grand central, but theres also a shop and restaraunt just off times square.

oh i thought it was a cafe type thing in grand central, so you reckon hit the restaurant eh? winner

Original Poster

MinstrelMan;5122694

chocolate and a hell of a lot off it :thumbsup:I've bee given my orders … chocolate and a hell of a lot off it :thumbsup:I've bee given my orders to go back to NY, just for that.

ah, im after a good old new york vanilla one, yum yum

markhodges1975;5122732

oh i thought it was a cafe type thing in grand central, so you reckon hit … oh i thought it was a cafe type thing in grand central, so you reckon hit the restaurant eh? winner

Its just a small stall and its hammered, theres a few tables around it, but I'd deffo head to the restaraunt as the bakery is next door you can even buy a juniors cookbook

Its just down ]This Street Google Street view wont let you navigate down there, but if you go to ]Satalitte View just where it says viacom, above it you'll see 2 small dark orange structures, thats the restaraunt there.

markhodges1975;5122675

my g/f is scared sill of going on the subway, did you feel safe enough on … my g/f is scared sill of going on the subway, did you feel safe enough on it?

It sounds daft but genuinely I I feel safer in New York, than what I do in Leeds on a friday night, there are loads of cops present, and the subways are very safe, those that say it isnt safe probably visited NY in the 70s and early 80s when it was a dangerous place to visit.

DKLS;5122835

It sounds daft but genuinely I I feel safer in New York, than what I do … It sounds daft but genuinely I I feel safer in New York, than what I do in Leeds on a friday night, there are loads of cops present, and the subways are very safe, those that say it isnt safe probably visited NY in the 70s and early 80s when it was a dangerous place to visit.

+1

I thought it'd be like it is in the movies, dont go out at night or you might get dragged down some dark ally to be mugged at gunpoint for your trainers :lol: this is certainly not the case.

Same with the people .We flew with US airways and from departure take off too arrival home landing it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience, yank customer services is amazing in comparrison to what you get over here.

Original Poster

MinstrelMan;5122904

+1I thought it'd be like it is in the movies, dont go out at night or you … +1I thought it'd be like it is in the movies, dont go out at night or you might get dragged down some dark ally to be mugged at gunpoint for your trainers :lol: this is certainly not the case.Same with the people .We flew with US airways and from departure take off too arrival home landing it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience, yank customer services is amazing in comparrison to what you get over here.

ah were off with air france, so looks like garlic onions for the inflight meal, yeeeeuk!!

at least we wont get swine flu, the stench and acidity of their BO will kill that off hahahaha

Original Poster

DKLS;5122835

It sounds daft but genuinely I I feel safer in New York, than what I do … It sounds daft but genuinely I I feel safer in New York, than what I do in Leeds on a friday night, there are loads of cops present, and the subways are very safe, those that say it isnt safe probably visited NY in the 70s and early 80s when it was a dangerous place to visit.

hey we live near leeds too, i really want to go on the subway but she is a big scaredy cat lol

[QUOTE=DKLS;5122835]It sounds daft but genuinely I I feel safer in New York, than what I do in Leeds on a friday night, there are loads of cops present, and the subways are very safe.QUOTE]

+1 - every 10th persons in NY seems to be a cop or in a security uniform.

Original Poster

Cotterpin;5123839

[QUOTE=DKLS;5122835]It sounds daft but genuinely I I feel safer in New … [QUOTE=DKLS;5122835]It sounds daft but genuinely I I feel safer in New York, than what I do in Leeds on a friday night, there are loads of cops present, and the subways are very safe.QUOTE]+1 - every 10th persons in NY seems to be a cop or in a security uniform.

excellent, thanks for the help

If you're interested in the helicopter flights, check out the link I posted earlier. They were discounted (when I bought them), and the office to buy them in NY on spec was chaotic when they were busy (very long queues). Buy tickets before you go and you can confirm a flight slot before you go (if on a short break) or when you get there (if on a long break). If you do it when you are there you can pick your day according to the weather forecast, but they were very busy - they needed a couple of days notice IIRC.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …115257
      2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread415714096
      3. No preseason sky sports offers1218
      4. New Nintendo 3DS XL – SNES Edition available in UK from October717

See more discussions