Groups

Were thinking of switching energy supplier (pre-payment meter)

Hey folks,
    Were thinking of changing energy supplier from Scottish and Southern only eletricity
    were on a pre-payment meter and can't change to normal direct debit (which I know will be cheaper) as we rent the place,
    our tariff is as follows:

H = Electricity is 14.60 pence per Kwh

N = Heating 7.91 pence per Kwh

Does anyone think this is high and do any of you have better tariffs or recommendations ?

36 Comments

Indeed pre-payment ones are higher,so i can;t help as i pay DD.

DD with Npower it's 3.258/3.421 per unit with a quarterly standing charge of 15 quid for Gas

Electric is 8.59/9.020 with a 12.50 standing charge,

Banned

have yo tried the uswitch sites, tariffs are area dependant

Original Poster

Hey Sassie

thing is I have tried Uswitch and energyhelpline.com which are both stated from "money saving expert" to be able to compare....

I can't find the selection when comparing in the drop down list for pre payment ??

Banned

i switched from scottish to southern for electric and gas and have noticed a vast saving on our pre payment meters, Also there is no standing charges so you only pay for what you use :thumbsup:

Banned

pre payment meter is there for me on uswitch and energy helpline

Original Poster

Energy helpline:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/saxo_appeal/elec.png

Banned

stick in british gas, if you know how much your tariff is now, then you can at least see other tariffs

Banned

you need to put prepayment in your tariff thats why, you have got standard, standard tariff is not a pre payment hun

Original Poster

EDIT: Was meant to be Scottish Hydro

Original Poster

were with Scottish Hydro and on THTC tariff (total heating total control)

Banned

just stick in any tariff then, just dont look at the savings made as they wont be right, but you can click on each one and see their tariff

Original Poster

Yeh called them up Sassie,

apparently as where we are and it's under Scottish and southern, were classed as:

Scottish Hydro Electric

Banned

saxo_appeal;7504551

Yeh called them up Sassie, apparently as where we are and it's under … Yeh called them up Sassie, apparently as where we are and it's under Scottish and southern, were classed as:Scottish Hydro Electric

so you can search now, always still check the tariff prices anyway, mine said i would be better off with another two companies, on checking their tariffs and discounts i wasnt, so not all is good on there

Original Poster

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/saxo_appeal/elec2.jpg

Hmmmm EDF energy, never heard of them

hmmm i'll get it bigger

Banned

you need to go into them and check the tariffs and any discounts against your own

doh im a thick beech, pre payment meters dont have them

Original Poster

Thanks Sassie, will do

Banned

edf havie a standing charge, does yours?

i too am having this problem as i am on prepayment meters

Surely your landlord cannot dictate the method of payment you use. ??

i wanted my meters taken out when i moved in they said i could pay 300 pounds to remove them

saxo_appeal;7504382

yeh sorry that was meant to say Southern ElectricHmmm, Southern electric … yeh sorry that was meant to say Southern ElectricHmmm, Southern electric doesn't do pre payment yet i'm sure were on scottish and southern

I'm with Southern Electric and on pre payment meter. I hated getting bills I struggled to pay so pre payment (for both gas + electric) suits me fine

Original Poster

Yeh were keeping our pre payment meter, im having a look on "energyhelpline.com"
    EDF say they can't take over an THTC meter but i'm sure Scottish power can and that would save me "127 per year. Not a big saving but worth it none the less.

Scrabbers try putting your details in with that company. although to note were not with southern electric in scotland were with Scottish Hydro

Banned

saxo_appeal;7505369

Yeh were keeping our pre payment meter, im having a look on … Yeh were keeping our pre payment meter, im having a look on "energyhelpline.com" EDF say they can't take over an THTC meter but i'm sure Scottish power can and that would save me "127 per year. Not a big saving but worth it none the less.Scrabbers try putting your details in with that company. although to note were not with southern electric in scotland were with Scottish Hydro

so what is their tariff per unit compared to yours?

Original Poster

it was 10.44 elec
    and 5.40

nothing was said about standing charges

Banned

did you click on more info, cause when i did it stated the standard charge per day, is this just electric, sorry dont know what your H and N means

Original Poster

Ah yes sorry Sassie the standing charge is 34. something

Banned

saxo what is the H and N? is that day and night tariffs or something?

Original Poster

The H is the normal daily rate, for plugs etc
    and the N is the night rate for like the storage heaters and water heater etc

Banned

so both of those rates are cheaper then, so just need to add on your daily charge to those rates

Original Poster

EDF Energy are getting back to me tho, they say as it's an THTC meter they might not be able to supply us

they will be phoning me back at some point

I think in the long run the EDF will be the cheapest

Banned

oh well, good luck hope you get sorted xx

Original Poster

thanks for the help

saxo_appeal;7505539

The H is the normal daily rate, for plugs etcand the N is the night rate … The H is the normal daily rate, for plugs etcand the N is the night rate for like the storage heaters and water heater etc

Do you have your washing machine set to use night rate?, that can save some money.

Original Poster

I have neighbours downstairs lol

I'm sure they would hate to hear a rumbling at 3am

saxo_appeal;7505933

I have neighbours downstairs lolI'm sure they would hate to hear a … I have neighbours downstairs lolI'm sure they would hate to hear a rumbling at 3am

Desperate times call for desperate measures!

saxo_appeal;7505933

I have neighbours downstairs lolI'm sure they would hate to hear a … I have neighbours downstairs lolI'm sure they would hate to hear a rumbling at 3am

Doesn't need to be at 3.00 am, my night rate doesn't go off until about 9.00 am in the winter ( 10.00 am in the Summer ).
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047101
      2. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941344
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767216
      4. Nintendo Ships Every Switch With a Hidden NES Emulator35

See more discussions