Wesbite/Ecommerce site advice wanted

6 replies
Found 2nd Nov 2010
Hi

I am looking to setup a ecommerce website and was wondering if anyone could help to me advise me what I need/costs involved

Not sure whether I want to have a bespoke website designed or to use Wordpress/Shopify and make my own. Would appreciate some feedback as to the pros and cons of both etc

Also wanted some info. on taking payments etc, I would like it to look professional and be secure for customers. I dont like using Paypal so Im guessing that I would need a Internet Merchant Account and Payment Gateway. Is this right? Can anyone recommend any providers for the above

TIA

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
6 Comments

1) Go for a full ecommerce package, no reason for custom as there are loads of paid and free solutions (a popular one is ekmpowershop at a monthly rate, they handle all the hosting etc).

2) Sagepay or worldpay are the biggest payment gateways, you will need a bank account and an merchant account, best one I have heard of is HSBC (they also run their own payment gateway).

If you want anymore advice send me a PM as I have done a few e-shops for my "job".

Original Poster

faevilangel

1) Go for a full ecommerce package, no reason for custom as there are … 1) Go for a full ecommerce package, no reason for custom as there are loads of paid and free solutions (a popular one is ekmpowershop at a monthly rate, they handle all the hosting etc).2) Sagepay or worldpay are the biggest payment gateways, you will need a bank account and an merchant account, best one I have heard of is HSBC (they also run their own payment gateway).If you want anymore advice send me a PM as I have done a few e-shops for my "job".

Thanks for the reply and information, will have a look at ekmpowershop in more detail the morning and thanks for the offer about more advice, Im sure i'll be touch as Im a bit lost at the moment lol

Thanks again

Banned

faevilangel

1) Go for a full ecommerce package, no reason for custom as there are … 1) Go for a full ecommerce package, no reason for custom as there are loads of paid and free solutions (a popular one is ekmpowershop at a monthly rate, they handle all the hosting etc).2) Sagepay or worldpay are the biggest payment gateways, you will need a bank account and an merchant account, best one I have heard of is HSBC (they also run their own payment gateway).If you want anymore advice send me a PM as I have done a few e-shops for my "job".

£20 a month for a shop?
What does it have over cubecart or oscommerce thats woirth £240 a year?

Banned

Prestashop.

I've done a few for some clients and the charm is they can now use the control panel well enough to update as and when.

Banned

Treble....visit the e commerce section on uk business forums.

lots of topics about which shop is best and other topics like payment systems ect.

ukbusinessforums.co.uk/for…=59

colinsunderland

£20 a month for a shop?What does it have over cubecart or oscommerce … £20 a month for a shop?What does it have over cubecart or oscommerce thats woirth £240 a year?

They run the hosting so you don't have too, they do all updates and you get support. Basically it's aimed at those who don't have the knowledge to run a website.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland3283
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769408
    3. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…47104
    4. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604807

See more discussions