West Ham fans..... are you happy hammers?

Banned 22
Found 10th Feb 2011

West Ham fans..... are you happy hammers with the news that your owners have successfully won the bid for the Olympic Stadium?

As a Spurs fan I'm disappointed but not in the least surprised. Tearing down and rebuilding without the track was always a gamble for the bid. That said, with the running track in place, I wouldn't have supported the bid. That said, the build was always said to just be temporary, so its only really been scuppered because they want to keep an athletics track, which lets be honest, no one will use in great numbers so a bit pointless IMHO.

The nice thing about Upton Park was the closeness to the pitch. Fans behind the goal could reach out and touch the netting. That netting will now be on the equivalent of the half way line!

The owners will also rightly point out that increased ground capacity will increase season ticket sales. I actually think the reverse is more likely. Forgetting those who "will move over their dead bodies", if you know you'll be able to get a ticket because you'll never sell out, why would you bother spending more instead of being able to be more selective! Obviously to die hards, the above isnt applicable - but it will be for those new sales Golds, Sullivan and Brady are hoping for.

Anyway......... Hammers fans..... apart from being happy that youve stopped Spurs find a new home in your back yard and tap into the Essex Market, are you really happy at the prospects of this Athletics Stadium you are going to be moving to? Are you concerned about the view pitfalls and the owners quest for cash over substance? Will you be going (and regularly) once the stadium is ready? Do you think the Upton Park atmosphere will be lost?

Despite West Ham fans having a huge dislike of Spurs, I've always had a lot of time for the club, mostly down to the core support turning up week in week out despite some dire recent seasons. I firmly think this will be a big test for the hard core support and so far have only heard negative comments on the move from season ticket holders......

Over to you guys!

22 Comments

Banned

nothing worse than a stadium with the fans 10-20 metres from the pitch!

Barry Hearn on the radio this morning contemplating legal action as both Premier League and Fottball League rules state that no club may move to a ground less than 5 miles from another.

Are the hammers ever happy?

Banned

greg_68

Barry Hearn on the radio this morning contemplating legal action as both … Barry Hearn on the radio this morning contemplating legal action as both Premier League and Fottball League rules state that no club may move to a ground less than 5 miles from another.

how did Man city manage it then?

csiman

Large brown paper bag...

Original Poster Banned

greg_68

Barry Hearn on the radio this morning contemplating legal action as both … Barry Hearn on the radio this morning contemplating legal action as both Premier League and Fottball League rules state that no club may move to a ground less than 5 miles from another.

It would make me chuckle if he succeeded. Not for what might appear to be sour groups, but purely because I can see that Golds, Sullivan and Brady are not nice people.

Hammers fans...... whats your view on your owners?

Banned

Didn't someone post a thread on this last night?

Original Poster Banned

master_chief

Didn't someone post a thread on this last night?

No. There was no post last night asking if West Ham fans were happy about the decision.

Banned

guv

No. There was no post last night asking if West Ham fans were happy about … No. There was no post last night asking if West Ham fans were happy about the decision.

Same subject though Guv...

I think it's the right decision, nobody cares about WH anyway.

Sloth/Mod

At least once they finish paying off Sheffield United they will be able to start paying off Leyton Orient. X)

Original Poster Banned

master_chief

Same subject though Guv...I think it's the right decision, nobody cares … Same subject though Guv...I think it's the right decision, nobody cares about WH anyway.

The topic is the stadium, but the question is to West Ham Fans. Part of me expects to hear they are happy to have stopped Spurs and part that they dont want the stadium themselves. The thread is to gauge that opinion from the horses mouths (so to speak).

Syzable

At least once they finish paying off Sheffield United they will be able … At least once they finish paying off Sheffield United they will be able to start paying off Leyton Orient. X)

And the Icelandic banks! X)

Banned

Don't think you're going to find a huge amount of WH fans on here to get a good sized response. Aren't there any WH supporter forums to ask on?

Original Poster Banned

master_chief

Don't think you're going to find a huge amount of WH fans on here to get … Don't think you're going to find a huge amount of WH fans on here to get a good sized response. Aren't there any WH supporter forums to ask on?

There seem to be more West Ham fans than Gooners tbh. Besides it wasnt a scientific experiment! It was the response from fi5h_f4ce (or whatever it is) that prompted the question. I doubt his views are isolated. As a footie fan, I feel quite sorry for the fans in this situation.

Sloth/Mod

I can think of 4 or 5 Hammers fans on here off the top of my head but they have not made an appearance yet.

I think what csiman said is a valid point. After being used to virtually sitting on the pitch at Upton Park you will almost need binoculars to properly watch the game now so truth is i am 50/50 at the moment.

Original Poster Banned

darren9030

I think what csiman said is a valid point. After being used to virtually … I think what csiman said is a valid point. After being used to virtually sitting on the pitch at Upton Park you will almost need binoculars to properly watch the game now so truth is i am 50/50 at the moment.

TBH, I think Brady and Co have probably just pulled the wool over everyones eys. There is no way in hell the fans will be happy especially behind the goals. I expect about 2 years after the games, with a couple of athletic meets attracting 1000 spectators, the suggestion will come foward that the fans are not happy and that Athletics just isnt working.

Of this I am certain.... So much for the "legacy vote and peoples choice"....... and Coe sucked it all up LOL!

guv

TBH, I think Brady and Co have probably just pulled the wool over … TBH, I think Brady and Co have probably just pulled the wool over everyones eys. There is no way in hell the fans will be happy especially behind the goals. I expect about 2 years after the games, with a couple of athletic meets attracting 1000 spectators, the suggestion will come foward that the fans are not happy and that Athletics just isnt working.Of this I am certain.... So much for the "legacy vote and peoples choice"....... and Coe sucked it all up LOL!

Spot on yes.

csiman

It's 5.2 miles between.

transit

It's 5.2 miles between.

Surely Sunderland & Swansea moved to grounds less than 5 miles from their old grounds & indeed Coventry. Probably loads more.

darren9030

Surely Sunderland & Swansea moved to grounds less than 5 miles from their … Surely Sunderland & Swansea moved to grounds less than 5 miles from their old grounds & indeed Coventry. Probably loads more.

Doesnt it mean 5 miles from another team ground, not their own old one!?

Original Poster Banned

transit

It's 5.2 miles between.

I think you're light years apart to be honest.

Meireles to bury West Ham on Sunday*

* This post is in no way connected to my Fantasy League Team.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7771880
    2. PlayStation VR is the number 1 selling product on Amazon right now1636
    3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19548046
    4. Just saw justice league *mimor spoiler*44

See more discussions