Groups

What a complete liar & crook Michel Roux Jr is & again he gets a slap on the hand.

Just another story about a millionaire stealing from the poorer people.

Chefs were receiving pay as low as £5.5 ($6.96), when the British minimum wage is £7.20 ($9.13), and were often working from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m., with little over an hour off the Guardian reports. Speaking to the paper, Roux says that basically, some chefs were total keeners who would obsessively come in early even when asked not to, in order to keep hours in check.

Here is the full story: eater.com/201…efs

31 Comments

I didn't read about this but every time I see that guy on TV I can't help but think he comes across as a complete and utter scumbag, so this doesn't really surprise me in the slightest.

worked with a globally recognised chef and building a career, here is how I am feeling for these chefs...(btw workers on a below minimum wage is not related to whether the business owner is a millionaire, check your local restaurants with workers who cant speak English????)

http://singlewomanchronicles.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Miserably-Single.jpg
    Edited by: "davewave" 14th Dec 2016

He is not singly accountable, the British culture is full of people like him, they like to exploit people as they always did, "... like a person with plenty of cash telling an unpaid intern that exposure is more important than money", quote from that link. And in the old days it was , "...like a person with plenty of cash telling an unpaid Commonwealth worker that exposure to British employer is more important than money."
    In contrast to Scandinavian countries which have no exploitation of low waged workers.
    One of my neighbours' daughter had worked for a year and a half in Leeds for a news media company as an unpaid intern after graduation. Parent had to trump up money every month for her to survive.

Edited by: "splender" 14th Dec 2016

Banned

Not a touch on Philip Green robbing his workers of over £500m

Original Poster

davewave

worked with a globally recognised chef and building a career, here is how … worked with a globally recognised chef and building a career, here is how I am feeling for these chefs...(btw workers on a below minimum wage is not related to whether the business owner is a millionaire, check your local restaurants with workers who cant speak English????)

Being a millionaire & scamming the staff by given them less than NMW makes it a harder pill to swallow.
    And then to try & get out of it by telling so much lies is just as bad.
    A magician in the kitchen who can't do simple maths hmmm.

The pay issue is indefensible but the hours issue is slightly trickier. Fact is that it's a highly competitive industry at that end of the market and people will work without breaks to get ahead.

i quite like the guy but have an issue with his fondness of eating balls and stuff

Original Poster

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

The pay issue is indefensible but the hours issue is slightly trickier. … The pay issue is indefensible but the hours issue is slightly trickier. Fact is that it's a highly competitive industry at that end of the market and people will work without breaks to get ahead.

You mean people will be forced to work without breaks so that owners can get ahead :-/

WheresMeNuts

You mean people will be forced to work without breaks so that owners can … You mean people will be forced to work without breaks so that owners can get ahead :-/

No I'm saying that in competitive industries people will skip breaks in order to stand out or simply get more work done.

happens in all the well known kitchens, minimum wage means squat in comparison to the experience and the bit on your CV that say you worked there.

a lot of people would work for free in these places just for that, it would literally set your career up for life.

many people are salaried in many job s and go above and beyond in regards to hours worked, why single out this particular person? it happens across all sectors of society and commerce.

WheresMeNuts

You mean people will be forced to work without breaks so that owners can … You mean people will be forced to work without breaks so that owners can get ahead :-/

as a chef of almost 2 decades, I can't even think of the last time I took a scheduled / timed break, and that's been my own decision.

splender

He is not singly accountable, the British culture is full of people like … He is not singly accountable, the British culture is full of people like him, they like to exploit people as they always did, "... like a person with plenty of cash telling an unpaid intern that exposure is more important than money", quote from that link. And in the old days it was , "...like a person with plenty of cash telling an unpaid Commonwealth worker that exposure to British employer is more important than money.".In contrast to Scandinavian countries which have no exploitation of low waged workers..One of my neighbours' daughter had worked for a year and a half in Leeds for a news media company as an unpaid intern after graduation. Parent had to trump up money every month for her to survive.

so basically your friends daughter was an unemployable tard that nobody would take on.

Just like many graduates leaving uni with their meaningless piece of paper and large student debt and personal debt

the parent had to stump up squat, they could have told their precious little princess to get in to the real world and earn her money.
    Edited by: "eset12345" 14th Dec 2016

eset12345

happens in all the well known kitchens, minimum wage means squat in … happens in all the well known kitchens, minimum wage means squat in comparison to the experience and the bit on your CV that say you worked there.a lot of people would work for free in these places just for that, it would literally set your career up for life.many people are salaried in many job s and go above and beyond in regards to hours worked, why single out this particular person? it happens across all sectors of society and commerce.

Michel, is that you?

Original Poster

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

No I'm saying that in competitive industries people will skip breaks in … No I'm saying that in competitive industries people will skip breaks in order to stand out or simply get more work done.

Chef's only don't take breaks due to the workload they have on.It's forced on them to not take a break.
    Doing 12-14 hour shifts when I was younger, I & other chefs wanted a break but could not get near a seat due to having so much work on.
    It's understaffed & underpaid.I would forecast in the next 20 years Britain will have a massive shortage of chefs.

djbenny1

Michel, is that you?

you need to get back in to the real world.

Original Poster

eset12345

as a chef of almost 2 decades, I can't even think of the last time I took … as a chef of almost 2 decades, I can't even think of the last time I took a scheduled / timed break, and that's been my own decision.

It's maybe your own decision & a stupid one at that :-/
    Lots of chefs don't have a say !!

WheresMeNuts

It's maybe your own decision & a stupid one at that :-/Lots of chefs … It's maybe your own decision & a stupid one at that :-/Lots of chefs don't have a say !!

of course they have a say in it, you're not working every second of every day in a kitchen.

there's plenty of time to grab 5 minutes or a bite to eat should you so wish.

you do stop for a coffee, you stop for meetings, you stop for a cigarette, you stop for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

they just aren't scheduled or timed, you grab 5 minutes when you can.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

The pay issue is indefensible but the hours issue is slightly trickier. … The pay issue is indefensible but the hours issue is slightly trickier. Fact is that it's a highly competitive industry at that end of the market and people will work without breaks to get ahead.

It actually isn't a highly competitive industry, there is a huge shortage of chefs.

The prestige of working with a chef like MRJ would be too much for many to pass up on and the opportunity to progress to a CDP, Sous or even Head Chef in one of his kitchens would give them huge opportunity, hence the hours they put in working for him, without complaint.

riverman

It actually isn't a highly competitive industry, there is a huge shortage … It actually isn't a highly competitive industry, there is a huge shortage of chefs. The prestige of working with a chef like MRJ would be too much for many to pass up on and the opportunity to progress to a CDP, Sous or even Head Chef in one of his kitchens would give them huge opportunity, hence the hours they put in working for him, without complaint.

It's not competitive 'at that end of the market'?

eset12345

so basically your friends daughter was an unemployable tard that nobody … so basically your friends daughter was an unemployable tard that nobody would take on.Just like many graduates leaving uni with their meaningless piece of paper and large student debt and personal debtthe parent had to stump up squat, they could have told their precious little princess to get in to the real world and earn her money.

Charming, say bye bye to your real world, and bring back control, unpaid uninternship, time it is outlawed alongside zero hour contract. If a business cannot run without zero cost hours, it needn't be in business at all as it is not sustainable. Why, just use common sense, the entire UK work force with zero hour contracts or unpaid unpaid internship for everyone, bye bye. If it is not good for all and is pervasive, why would it be good only for some, as all public services need steady tax revenue to fund them.

Original Poster

eset12345

of course they have a say in it, you're not working every second of every … of course they have a say in it, you're not working every second of every day in a kitchen.there's plenty of time to grab 5 minutes or a bite to eat should you so wish.you do stop for a coffee, you stop for meetings, you stop for a cigarette, you stop for breakfast, lunch and dinner.they just aren't scheduled or timed, you grab 5 minutes when you can.

The law clearly states your supposed to sit down uninterrupted for a minimum of 30 minutes,but you know as I do that that does not happen in lots of kitchens.

splender

Charming, say bye bye to your real world, and bring back control, unpaid … Charming, say bye bye to your real world, and bring back control, unpaid uninternship, time it is outlawed alongside zero hour contract. If a business cannot run without zero cost hours, it needn't be in business at all as it is not sustainable. Why, just use common sense, the entire UK work force with zero hour contracts or unpaid unpaid internship for everyone, bye bye. If it is not good for all and is pervasive, why would it be good only for some, as all public services need steady tax revenue to fund them.

X)

https://img0.etsystatic.com/067/0/7623131/il_570xN.793929596_kdha.jpg

WheresMeNuts

The law clearly states your supposed to sit down uninterrupted for a … The law clearly states your supposed to sit down uninterrupted for a minimum of 30 minutes,but you know as I do that that does not happen in lots of kitchens.

This happens at John Lewis Partnerships kitchens, it truly does.

WheresMeNuts

The law clearly states your supposed to sit down uninterrupted for a … The law clearly states your supposed to sit down uninterrupted for a minimum of 30 minutes,but you know as I do that that does not happen in lots of kitchens.

says 20 mins and nothing about sitting down

WheresMeNuts

It does in my kitchen

splender

This happens at John Lewis Partnerships kitchens, it truly does.

Slight difference between John Lewis kitchens and Le Gavroche isn't there?

X)

Original Poster

brilly

says 20 mins and nothing about sitting down

It's a rest break & so if your on your feet for a 10-12 hour shift,your hardly going to stand are you lol.And yes 20 mins,my bad.

Original Poster

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Slight difference between John Lewis kitchens and Le Gavroche isn't … Slight difference between John Lewis kitchens and Le Gavroche isn't there? X)

They do a great baked potato in John Lewis lol.

WheresMeNuts

They do a great baked potato in John Lewis lol.

At John Lewis they can afford 30 mins break for staff cooking £5 baked potatoes, and Le Gavroche,for cooking £50 pomme frites , no break. John Lewis, end of year staff partnership share ~ deux mille livres sterling , Le Gavoche, merci bien, c'est la vie!

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Slight difference between John Lewis kitchens and Le Gavroche isn't … Slight difference between John Lewis kitchens and Le Gavroche isn't there? X)

What is this "slight difference" that you are alluding to about the relevance of this thread which is about the need to have regard to the law on employee rights and working conditions and additionally on ethics and apology as in the OP's link?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. sky q is it a good deal?55
      2. Speccing a gaming pc37
      3. help: windows 10 wifi issue55
      4. Best IPTV Paid service?1721

See more discussions