WHAT A CON!!!

Found 30th Jan 2009
Am just bookng my Ryanair flight for the summer woo hoo. 1 p flight it says. Now I aint stoopid and I know about the taxes etc.. but they're taking the P!! They charge me almost £30 for a suitcase, then £19 to check the kids in - WITHOUT a suitcase and NOW they're charging me £40 just to pay!!! handling fee - surely they can't get away with that??!!! So this 1p flight they're offering me is now costing us £300!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Misc
  2. Ryanair
38 Comments

Ryanair. lol.

dont fly with ryanair then....... they're ***** anyway

where you going from/to?

Original Poster

Stansted to Gerona, Spain. I fly with them every year, and every year they add more and more - don't know how they get away with it!! :x

when and for how many?

Original Poster

15 July - 5th August for me and two kids 3 and 5. and 22nd July - 5th August for 1 adult
Only thing was my parents are going on 15th (booked) and was hoping to go with them to help with luggage and kids. Saying that, if it was much cheaper anywhere else I'd do it, but I don't know where :?

seems like theres only ryanair that fly there direct, what about another london airport?

£300 quid for 4 return flights to Spain for that length of time seems like a good price to me.

modoc;4231199

£300 quid for 5 return flights to Spain for that length of time seems … £300 quid for 5 return flights to Spain for that length of time seems like a good price to me.

length of time shouldnt be an issue

Original Poster

MinstrelMan;4231191

seems like theres only ryanair that fly there direct, what about another … seems like theres only ryanair that fly there direct, what about another london airport?

Typical - not really worth the hassle - thanks for looking though hun:thumbsup:

modoc;4231199

£300 quid for 5 return flights to Spain for that length of time seems … £300 quid for 5 return flights to Spain for that length of time seems like a good price to me.

Yh it is, I agree (although only 4 of us) it just annoys me that that give u a price then add something on the next page, thn again a bit later then £40 just to pay!! :-D

OK then, 300 quid for four return flights to Spain seems like a good price to me. :lol:

Try and price flights with any of the major tour companies or travel agents for that time of year, and I bet you will not get near £300.

Everyone should know by now though that the only way to get cheap flights from Ryanair is to:

1. Fly midweek and stay for a couple of days (anything else and you will need a suitcase).
2. Take no suitcases so that you can check in online.
3. Use an Electron debit card when paying

modoc;4231199

Thats not the point though is it. It's the fact they are blatantly conning people and getting away with it. It reminds me of a program I watched last night about soho strip bars, they get you in on the promise of a cheap strip show and then fleece you with hidden charges like £40 for a fugly asylum seeker bird to bring you your £50 pint of asda price lager. Surely the government should do something about it , ryanair that is.

Seems a good price..
Shame their planes are held together by duct tape

why gerona? family over there or is it just a holiday, I found a wicked deal on a hotel in majorca last week.

danmc;4231268

Thats not the point though is it. It's the fact they are blatantly … Thats not the point though is it. It's the fact they are blatantly conning people and getting away with it. It reminds me of a program I watched last night about soho strip bars, they get you in on the promise of a cheap strip show and then fleece you with hidden charges like £40 for a fugly asylum seeker bird to bring you your £50 pint of asda price lager. Surely the government should do something about it , ryanair that is.

I know what you are saying but surely everyone should know what to expect from Ryanair by now. Its not as if they have only just started doing it, its been happening for years. I agree that the Government should do something about it though. Its not nice when you get your hopes built up thinking about a cheap break only to discover all the extras that they pile on at the end.

Yes,it is really annoying.
What they should do is start with a high price where everyone has suitcases and checks in and insurance etc etc and then you take off the ones you don't want and hey presto!! you've got the bargain you wanted!!:thumbsup:
Go for it anyway hannah and enjoy your holiday when the time comes.:-D

chesso;4231438

What they should do is start with a high price where everyone has … What they should do is start with a high price where everyone has suitcases and checks in and insurance etc etc and then you take off the ones you don't want and hey presto!! you've got the bargain you wanted!!

Thats not a bad idea actually :thumbsup:

Could be even more expensive for you if somebody dishonest knows you and where you live. To all you peeps out there remember not everyone is honest. Be careful if giving out info when you will be away from home. Could get back to find your belongings are gone etc
Hope you manage to find a deal.

Before paying your account to ryanAir first buy the ryanAir vouchers and then use the vouchers to pay .That way they do not charge you for using a credit card to pay .

anthonio;4231578

Before paying your account to ryanAir first buy the ryanAir vouchers and … Before paying your account to ryanAir first buy the ryanAir vouchers and then use the vouchers to pay .That way they do not charge you for using a credit card to pay .

Another excellent tip. :thumbsup:

If by chance you are going out to your holiday home or a friends place there, you could do what a friend of mine used to do. He would only carry hand luggage and found that it paid him to have clothes available either end. I admit it is more difficult with children to cater for but could save money with luggage costs.

Original Poster

Sorry guys had to do the school run

danmc;4231268

Thats not the point though is it. It's the fact they are blatantly … Thats not the point though is it. It's the fact they are blatantly conning people and getting away with it. It reminds me of a program I watched last night about soho strip bars, they get you in on the promise of a cheap strip show and then fleece you with hidden charges like £40 for a fugly asylum seeker bird to bring you your £50 pint of asda price lager. Surely the government should do something about it , ryanair that is.

Haha yh....exactly lol

thrustmaster;4231299

Seems a good price..Shame their planes are held together by duct tape

Oh thanks lol

MinstrelMan;4231307

why gerona? family over there or is it just a holiday, I found a wicked … why gerona? family over there or is it just a holiday, I found a wicked deal on a hotel in majorca last week.

We go to a place called L'Estartit and that's the closest airport - Mum and Dad's place:-D

modoc;4231351

I know what you are saying but surely everyone should know what to expect … I know what you are saying but surely everyone should know what to expect from Ryanair by now. Its not as if they have only just started doing it, its been happening for years. I agree that the Government should do something about it though. Its not nice when you get your hopes built up thinking about a cheap break only to discover all the extras that theypile on at the end.

I fly with them every year but each time there is something new - it's just a con! I didn't expect it any cheaper as such, ur right a 3 week holiday for £300 is a bargain - it's just the way they do it!!

chesso;4231438

Yes,it is really annoying. What they should do is start with a high price … Yes,it is really annoying. What they should do is start with a high price where everyone has suitcases and checks in and insurance etc etc and then you take off the ones you don't want and hey presto!! you've got the bargain you wanted!!Go for it anyway hannah and enjoy your holiday when the time comes

Yh that's a good idea, might mention it to them when I write and complain lol

Thanks hun, will do :thumbsup:

WoolyM;4231549

Could be even more expensive for you if somebody dishonest knows you and … Could be even more expensive for you if somebody dishonest knows you and where you live. To all you peeps out there remember not everyone is honest. Be careful if giving out info when you will be away from home. Could get back to find your belongings are gone etcHope you manage to find a deal.

Yh that's very true, thanks hun, and just incase anyone was thinking that about me I have a bouncer, a couple of security guards and 4 huge dogs there while I'm away :lol:
No but seriously I do have my sis staying lol

anthonio;4231578

Before paying your account to ryanAir first buy the ryanAir vouchers and … Before paying your account to ryanAir first buy the ryanAir vouchers and then use the vouchers to pay .That way they do not charge you for using a credit card to pay .

Ooo good thinking - will look into that :thumbsup:

WoolyM;4231806

If by chance you are going out to your holiday home or a friends place … If by chance you are going out to your holiday home or a friends place there, you could do what a friend of mine used to do. He would only carry hand luggage and found that it paid him to have clothes available either end. I admit it is more difficult with children to cater for but could save money with luggage costs.

Yh, it's my parents place and I do have a few bits left there from last year but coz the kids are so young they grow out of things before the next year:roll:

Banned

Good deal if you ask me.....Just got my return flights to spain (from jet2) for £170 each and there are 5 of us

Ryanair qualifies for the 'fur cup' prize!! :whistling:

http://bp3.blogger.com/_BMBcNTkgjnM/Rq5o1F5rTeI/AAAAAAAAAZI/x8GAzoBiN8k/s320/Fury+Tea+Cup088.jpg

Original Poster

It IS a good deal, I just get soo peeved when big companies like them try and con ya. Give u a price then add an extra here and there oh and another one over here!!

I've now just found out they charge £60 to take golf clubs - has doubled since lst year :roll:

Sloth/Mod

Forget Ryan Air..........go cheap...........this man is selling a canoe :thumbsup:

http://www.topnews.in/law/files/JohnDarwinCanoeMan.jpg

People do tend to knock Ryanair but they are the best Airline going when it comes to value for money. I have just returned from Prague. The total cost of the flight was £2. I took hand luggage only therefor checked in online & paid with an Electron card meaning there was no booking fee. All in all a great couple of nights for next to nothing. Thanks Ryanair :-D

Original Poster

Syzable;4236262

Forget Ryan Air..........go cheap...........this man is selling a canoe … Forget Ryan Air..........go cheap...........this man is selling a canoe :thumbsup:

LMFAO yh, but I hear I could have trouble getting back before school starts again :lol:

Original Poster

darren9030;4236316

People do tend to knock Ryanair but they are the best Airline going when … People do tend to knock Ryanair but they are the best Airline going when it comes to value for money. I have just returned from Prague. The total cost of the flight was £2. I took hand luggage only therefor checked in online & paid with an Electron card meaning there was no booking fee. All in all a great couple of nights for next to nothing. Thanks Ryanair :-D

I agree, don't ever have any probs with them as such it's just the way they add on all the time - why can't they just give u a price in the 1st place! Also, as I have two small children it's quite awkward for me to take hand luggage, kids and pushchair. Hopefully that will change soon though lol :thumbsup:

hannah19790;4236396

I agree, don't ever have any probs with them as such it's just the way … I agree, don't ever have any probs with them as such it's just the way they add on all the time - why can't they just give u a price in the 1st place! Also, as I have two small children it's quite awkward for me to take hand luggage, kids and pushchair. Hopefully that will change soon though lol :thumbsup:

Yes i know it is. I guess ( as i usually travel alone ) i am lucky when it comes to flying :thumbsup:

Alternatively, if you have any accounts with Halifax, open a basic account and get yourself an Electron card. Ryanair don't charge for using these.

As for the person who said they were held together with Duct tape, I couldn't disagree more.

OK, they're not the comfort and space of Easyjet, but there's far worse out there. The Ryanair Airbuses that I've used were well maintained and I've never had a problem.

I'd be very careful too as saying they are held together with Duct tape is very libellous. Let's hope they're not watching!

I got an Electron card from Co-op bank. No hassle. I loaded it with a £100 & then booked two return flights with Ryanair (Stansted/Girona) for a hefty £0.04 which I paid via Electron. The flight was £0.01 each way including taxes & no card fees by paying through Electron. You have to beat Ryanair at there own game!

Original Poster

newsgroupmonkey;4248985

Alternatively, if you have any accounts with Halifax, open a basic … Alternatively, if you have any accounts with Halifax, open a basic account and get yourself an Electron card. Ryanair don't charge for using these.As for the person who said they were held together with Duct tape, I couldn't disagree more.OK, they're not the comfort and space of Easyjet, but there's far worse out there. The Ryanair Airbuses that I've used were well maintained and I've never had a problem.I'd be very careful too as saying they are held together with Duct tape is very libellous. Let's hope they're not watching!

Thanks for that hun, I have a friend with one so am gonna try and use that:thumbsup:

ryan lair;4251894

I got an Electron card from Co-op bank. No hassle. I loaded it with a … I got an Electron card from Co-op bank. No hassle. I loaded it with a £100 & then booked two return flights with Ryanair (Stansted/Girona) for a hefty £0.04 which I paid via Electron. The flight was £0.01 each way including taxes & no card fees by paying through Electron. You have to beat Ryanair at there own game!

Thanks for that hun, am hoping to borrow a friends but might look into getting one for next time.:thumbsup: typically the price has gone up now!! :roll: I'm not lucky enough to get it for 1p though - I wish lol

Welcome to HUKD btw x x

HeadsUp
Ryanair, reported yesterday, is to charge £30 for passengers who are unable to stuff any plastic bags of their duty-free purchases made at an airport shop into their hand luggage they will be placing in their overhead lockers.

darren9030;4236316

I have just returned from Prague. The total cost of the flight was £2. I … I have just returned from Prague. The total cost of the flight was £2. I took hand luggage :-D

You don't need much luggage to carry condoms to Prague:thumbsup: hehe!! You've got to love Prague, Women are beautiful and beer is CHEAP!!

I personally not so sure why people think Ryanair is a con, I have flown with them numerous times & only ever once has the flight not arrived on time, My husband on the other hand sometimes flies BA from London to Edinburgh return & several times his flight has been delayed by more than the time he has been due home. Checking cases in etc costs airlines time & money in handling. Airlines want there planes in the air as much as possible.

Original Poster

Kez64;4376608

I personally not so sure why people think Ryanair is a con, I have flown … I personally not so sure why people think Ryanair is a con, I have flown with them numerous times & only ever once has the flight not arrived on time, My husband on the other hand sometimes flies BA from London to Edinburgh return & several times his flight has been delayed by more than the time he has been due home. Checking cases in etc costs airlines time & money in handling. Airlines want there planes in the air as much as possible.

Wot I am saying is a con is the £40 charges they add on. I have stated it is overall a bargain, but it annoys me when they give you a price and then charge you £40 JUST TO PAY!! I would be pretty P'd off if I did my shopping in Tesco's and then they said right £100 ooh plus an extra £40 if your paying!:roll:

Original Poster

Lam;4311609

HeadsUpRyanair, reported yesterday, is to charge £30 for passengers who … HeadsUpRyanair, reported yesterday, is to charge £30 for passengers who are unable to stuff any plastic bags of their duty-free purchases made at an airport shop into their hand luggage they will be placing in their overhead lockers.

Oh really?? Thans hun, something to keep in mind then:thumbsup:

well that's Ryanair for you, BTW do you all know that the lousey money grabbers at Manchester are now charging £1 for plastic bags at security so make sure you take one with you or you'll get ripped off yet again
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Battered women won't be chased for TV licence fees: Vulnerable victims at r…99
    2. Quidco Highest Cashback Guarantee - Quidco will double the difference if yo…23
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7771816
    4. Without saying how old you are, Name one thing from your childhood someone …2748

See more discussions