What is a "Hot Deal" ?

Posted 9th May
Apologises in advance for the lengthy question

Having been on this site a lot more than usual during the “lockdown / pandemic” I have
noticed a few things which are different from when I first joined but there is one phrase that I keep on seeing on various deals – “not a HOT Deal – this site is called Hotdeals and that is not a hot deal”

I guess I have noticed it more as I have posted more deals than usual but it’s a phrase I don’t quite understand - as a “deal” might be useful for one person but not another

I have started posting a few Amazon deal’s, I never used to before, my deals used to be from a variety of places but I purchased Amazon Prime last year through a deal on here by another poster and with what’s going on right now I used it to help friends and family around the country. I then thought why not help the wider community as there are people out there in the same situation.

The same goes for other posters and contributors who ultimately are doing it to help others and there is a great community here with many people helping others.

But as I keep seeing this phrase or a variation of the phrase and I have to ask “what is a HOT deal” it may seem like a stupid question but is it?

Are people voting on there like’s or dislike’s of certain stores?
I know by reading comments on different posts that “descriptions” are not read
Are people voting on the product itself? I see a lot of comments saying “cold did not work for me or it tasted horrible”
Are people voting on the posters? I see a lot of deals go instantly cold from some posters which make you really wonder. Posters are not responsible for the product they are just looking for deals that may help the community

Personally I don’t vote cold as I try to look at the deal in isolation and think this may help someone and that the poster has taken the time to research and share to help someone. I know some will say that we won’t get “cold” or bad deals if everyone followed my way of thinking and I am in no way telling anyone to do that - but we then circle back to the question – what is a hot deal?

Personally I think it would be beneficial to posters and others to know why something has been voted cold

So what is a “hot deal” ?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
You have put up some cracking deals of late - fair play for sharing. Since having prime I have benefitted from loads of your deals. Keep up the good work. You will always get negative comments/remarks and votes as people are very brave to express themselves through a keyboard. That’s the world we live in I suppose. Your deals are hot. If you can get a product delivered to your house for the same price as what it would cost in a supermarket then surely that’s a deal! It’s saving time, fuel and money getting it to your door!
35 Comments
Is this a poem?
Not your fault, OP, but why isn't the dodgy formatting fixed yet? It's been like this since the last site reboot and I spend a good few minutes tidying my posts up (this usually happens if there's any copy/paste text).

As for your question, it usually means the person somehow feels inconvenienced that the Deal wasn't tailored to them (the internet seems to suggest there's more "entitled" personalities out there), or it was cheaper in January 2019, or, as often happens if it's someone like Ed Sheeran or Daniel O'Donnell (just a guess, maybe I'm wrong about those two) people vote cold because they hate them and don't care about any money-saving potential. See also, Sports Direct Deal posts. The popularity contest vote can attract some amusing comments, though.

Not sure about people down-voting on members' Deals, can't think of anyone on here I dislike enough to do that to.
Edited by: "louiselouise" 9th May
You have put up some cracking deals of late - fair play for sharing. Since having prime I have benefitted from loads of your deals. Keep up the good work. You will always get negative comments/remarks and votes as people are very brave to express themselves through a keyboard. That’s the world we live in I suppose. Your deals are hot. If you can get a product delivered to your house for the same price as what it would cost in a supermarket then surely that’s a deal! It’s saving time, fuel and money getting it to your door!
Diamond_Studd09/05/2020 23:07

i have no idea why it posted like that

I don't know why it did that but it made me laugh. Looks like you've sorted it out now though.
louiselouise09/05/2020 23:07

Not your fault, OP, but why isn't the dodgy formatting fixed yet? It's …Not your fault, OP, but why isn't the dodgy formatting fixed yet? It's been like this since the last site reboot and I spend a good few minutes tidying my posts up (this usually happens if there's any copy/paste text).As for your question, it usually means the person somehow feels inconvenienced that the Deal wasn't tailored to them (the internet seems to suggest there's more "entitled" personalities out there), or it was cheaper in January 2019, or, as often happens if it's someone like Ed Sheeran or Daniel O'Donnell (just a guess, maybe I'm wrong about those two) people vote cold because they hate them and don't care about any money-saving potential. See also, Sports Direct Deal posts. The popularity contest vote can attract some amusing comments, though.Not sure about people down-voting on members' Deals, can't think of anyone on here I dislike enough to do that to.

Thank you @louiselouise dodgy is an understatement lol
I don't dislike anyone of here but i have noticed a number of posters being downvoted straight away which i find really strange - it's almost like they just read the title or see who the poster is and then vote cold
fearghalg09/05/2020 23:08

You have put up some cracking deals of late - fair play for sharing. Since …You have put up some cracking deals of late - fair play for sharing. Since having prime I have benefitted from loads of your deals. Keep up the good work. You will always get negative comments/remarks and votes as people are very brave to express themselves through a keyboard. That’s the world we live in I suppose. Your deals are hot. If you can get a product delivered to your house for the same price as what it would cost in a supermarket then surely that’s a deal! It’s saving time, fuel and money getting it to your door!

appreciate that @fearghalg thanks
There is going to be various reasons why people vote cold, they don’t like the item, the deal, the price, wether it’s convenient for themselves, wether they like the poster (strange but it happens) . You are doing a great job , it takes a lot of time and effort to post deals. Sometimes it’s just sheep following the crowd , sometimes it’s genuine. You always get a mixed bag of comments, you can’t please everyone
Yes and yes to most of your questions, people vote in many ways, and you always see arguments about products and I think sometimes it harms the site as people just stop posting.

The one you missed though is the mates voting, many a deal would not get so hot if others posted the deal. Let me be clear as this normally winds up a users that this is not aimed at anyone but you can see it on here every day. One deal today got to 500 degrees, another poster posts it and it went to 2500.

don’t bother with the hot deals page now, and don’t often vote. Just look and see what I think is a good deal from the new pages, and seen many say they do the same.
Diamond_Studd09/05/2020 23:15

Thank you @louiselouise dodgy is an understatement lolI don't dislike …Thank you @louiselouise dodgy is an understatement lolI don't dislike anyone of here but i have noticed a number of posters being downvoted straight away which i find really strange - it's almost like they just read the title or see who the poster is and then vote cold

I've had something like that happen to me in the past. Someone being nasty for no apparent reason and trying to argue on a thread (I can't even remember the username, or what it was about, my memory is pretty bad at the best of times) who then "followed" me onto my later Deal posts and tried to kick up a stink (and probably down-voted cold into the bargain). Slightly creepy behaviour, but I've had worse, PMs, the lot!

There's not much you can do about those members, but I suspect HUKD has some alogrithm that kicks in when you down-vote too much and/or concentrate on a certain member. Not sure of the formula, though, I've seen it mentioned elsewhere.

You can offer an opinion without being a twit (sanitised!) about it and still be respectful to others. But that doesn't happen often. I'm not afraid of having a laugh, but not at the expense of someone's feelings.
louiselouise09/05/2020 23:22

I've had something like that happen to me in the past. Someone being nasty …I've had something like that happen to me in the past. Someone being nasty for no apparent reason and trying to argue on a thread (I can't even remember the username, or what it was about, my memory is pretty bad at the best of times) who then "followed" me onto my later Deal posts and tried to kick up a stink (and probably down-voted cold into the bargain). Slightly creepy behaviour, but I've had worse, PMs, the lot!There's not much you can do about those members, but I suspect HUKD has some alogrithm that kicks in when you down-vote too much and/or concentrate on a certain member. Not sure of the formula, though, I've seen it mentioned elsewhere.You can offer an opinion without being a twit (sanitised!) about it and still be respectful to others. But that doesn't happen often. I'm not afraid of having a laugh, but not at the expense of someone's feelings.

That's terrible i am sorry to hear that happend to you
Makes you wonder what drives people to get on like that
Diamond_Studd09/05/2020 23:15

Thank you @louiselouise dodgy is an understatement lolI don't dislike …Thank you @louiselouise dodgy is an understatement lolI don't dislike anyone of here but i have noticed a number of posters being downvoted straight away which i find really strange - it's almost like they just read the title or see who the poster is and then vote cold

Glad you've brought this up. I've noticed it too.

I can often feel put off from posting stuff because of the occasional lurking negativity.
Maybe there's a secret sect that we don't know about

But please keep posting your deals! There are many of us that appreciate it hun.
Diamond_Studd09/05/2020 23:26

That's terrible i am sorry to hear that happend to you Makes you wonder …That's terrible i am sorry to hear that happend to you Makes you wonder what drives people to get on like that

It's cool, I can handle it. It only makes my lower lip tremble if it's someone I know who knows how to press my buttons

I agree with the thoughts about HUKD appearing quite hostile to newbies and maybe putting them off posting, but I hope this is improving.

Keep on truckin'
yummychocoholicbabe09/05/2020 23:28

Glad you've brought this up. I've noticed it too.I can often feel put off …Glad you've brought this up. I've noticed it too.I can often feel put off from posting stuff because of the occasional lurking negativity.Maybe there's a secret sect that we don't know about But please keep posting your deals! There are many of us that appreciate it hun.

thank you @yummychocoholicbabe
Please don't be put off posting don't let the negativity win
With some people you cannot win mate keep on posting ya saving loads of people money good on ya
benhornsby199910/05/2020 00:16

With some people you cannot win mate keep on posting ya saving loads of …With some people you cannot win mate keep on posting ya saving loads of people money good on ya

Thanks @benhornsby1999
You keep doing exactly the same thing too
Edited by: "Diamond_Studd" 10th May
I just ignore anyone who tries to argue with me for no reason.

Just click on the culprits profile and "mute" him at the bottom of the page.
louiselouise09/05/2020 23:22

I've had something like that happen to me in the past. Someone being nasty …I've had something like that happen to me in the past. Someone being nasty for no apparent reason and trying to argue on a thread (I can't even remember the username, or what it was about, my memory is pretty bad at the best of times) who then "followed" me onto my later Deal posts and tried to kick up a stink (and probably down-voted cold into the bargain). Slightly creepy behaviour, but I've had worse, PMs, the lot!There's not much you can do about those members, but I suspect HUKD has some alogrithm that kicks in when you down-vote too much and/or concentrate on a certain member. Not sure of the formula, though, I've seen it mentioned elsewhere.You can offer an opinion without being a twit (sanitised!) about it and still be respectful to others. But that doesn't happen often. I'm not afraid of having a laugh, but not at the expense of someone's feelings.

Was it that self-proclaimed "key worker" who actually worked at Holland and Barrett.

He was very weird.
Edited by: "Speculator" 10th May
Speculator10/05/2020 00:52

Was it that "key worker" who actually worked at Holland and Barrett. …Was it that "key worker" who actually worked at Holland and Barrett. He was very weird.

No, it was ages ago...though he goes into the Gallery Of Horrors
Huge thanks to you for sharing some amazing amazon deals on here. They were very useful for myself, friends and family. Especially those shielding. Thank you!

And as for voting cold, I think many posters automatically just vote cold because the deal is not suitable for them, rather than looking at the deal itself as a whole.
Edited by: "kat_1990" 10th May
Keep doing what you are doing as you are contributing to the community here rather than simply participating in drive by voting. The anonymity of social media has made far too many people forget the difference between an opinion and fact.
why do you post deals on this site ? to farm affirmation from strangers or because you saw something that was in your eyes a good saving and would like others to benefit.
Why does HUKD exist ? because someone wanted to help share these deals or to monetise other peoples finds through pageviews and redirects and have accounts promote affiliate deals that will be of interest to readers.
What makes a hot deal ? the savings some people can make or broader appeal and marketability (and is this hotter if it's large savings for few or slight savings for many ?). Do stores now push their own 'hot' deals as traffic-drivers in response to the popularity of this site or are the hottest deals niche savings and clearance items you wouldn't normally buy but enjoy finding a real bargain ?

The answer is "yes"
As with all sites as more people get involved trolls and the like will join.

I vote hot and cold, I post deals that go both hot and cold, some of my coldest deals have been absolute bargains if you are after the Niche product listed.

My main bugbear on this site is people listing items that aren’t there for example some men’s adidas trainers listed at £30 last week, there were only size UK3.5 and UK4, the poster clearly wanted heat and got it. If the post had stated 3.5/4 it wouldn’t have got the votes
A hot deal is absolutely anything that the community decides is a hot deal, which can vary from one day to the next.

It must work as a system though as I buy too much stuff off of here!
The only time people should vote Cold at all is if the exact same deal is easily available elsewhere for a lot cheaper - and they should give details. Oh, and they should read the actual post properly! I follow you, op, as I like your deals. I don’t have prime, but I still take at look at what you’ve posted
If a car company made a small family hatchback and the price was £50,000, but a similar size shape and quality from another manufacturer was only £15,000. Would people vote the new car HOT or COLD if the price suddenly dropped to £30,000???

Great price for this car, never been available at this price, will never be this cheap again...
totally overpriced compared to similar quality and power available in other models though...

from my point of view each "deal" HAS to be compared to similar items available AND the cost of the actual item, can't just vote based on the item and it's price alone.
A hot deal according to the majority is a cheaper price than normal. This is why in the UK supermarkets yoyo prices and generally people fall for it.

I on the other hand and what HUKD used to be is a price an item rarely is would be a good deal. The best of them being Clearances/mis prices as the website became more popular its what do you think is a deal according to Joe Average has become the normal.

I've adapted to this but it does annoy me still that consistent good value isn't considered a deal but artificial price changes is a deal.

Kim jon-un gets his referral money so what else really matters.
kat_199010/05/2020 04:05

Huge thanks to you for sharing some amazing amazon deals on here. They …Huge thanks to you for sharing some amazing amazon deals on here. They were very useful for myself, friends and family. Especially those shielding. Thank you! And as for voting cold, I think many posters automatically just vote cold because the deal is not suitable for them, rather than looking at the deal itself as a whole.

Thank you @kat_1990
i think alot of users look at it in that way
juggler110/05/2020 11:08

The only time people should vote Cold at all is if the exact same deal is …The only time people should vote Cold at all is if the exact same deal is easily available elsewhere for a lot cheaper - and they should give details. Oh, and they should read the actual post properly! I follow you, op, as I like your deals. I don’t have prime, but I still take at look at what you’ve posted

Thank you @juggler1
not to get off topic but that is my gripe with Amazon they should have reduced the min order value etc so people without prime could use it
I think it would nice if other users gave details on why something was hot or cold it would be nice feedback for everyone
Diamond_Studd10/05/2020 22:22

Thank you @juggler1 not to get off topic but that is my gripe with Amazon …Thank you @juggler1 not to get off topic but that is my gripe with Amazon they should have reduced the min order value etc so people without prime could use itI think it would nice if other users gave details on why something was hot or cold it would be nice feedback for everyone

I agree, I actually thought Amazon was going to extend Prime, offer it cut-price or slash the minimum purchase price for non-Prime customers when lockdown begun! They must have had a huge upsurge in custom in the last 5-6 weeks.
louiselouise10/05/2020 22:46

I agree, I actually thought Amazon was going to extend Prime, offer it …I agree, I actually thought Amazon was going to extend Prime, offer it cut-price or slash the minimum purchase price for non-Prime customers when lockdown begun! They must have had a huge upsurge in custom in the last 5-6 weeks.

Yes and it would have helped so many ppl
I thought it was really odd
If you want hot votes, become a helper or mod, guaranteed your deals will be at 1000 degrees after 10 minutes, even if it's triple the price elsewhere.
If you want cold, post some hand sanitiser, even if its a penny for 500ml, the usual trolls will downvote on the basis 'its disgusting they should be giving these are free to the NHS'
julieallen11/05/2020 02:22

If you want hot votes, become a helper or mod, guaranteed your deals will …If you want hot votes, become a helper or mod, guaranteed your deals will be at 1000 degrees after 10 minutes, even if it's triple the price elsewhere.If you want cold, post some hand sanitiser, even if its a penny for 500ml, the usual trolls will downvote on the basis 'its disgusting they should be giving these are free to the NHS'

Yes that’s a big one someone who thinks they are a scientist assumes hand sanitiser does nothing and instantly vote cote when it’s actually a good price
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions