What a Swizz from ebay.

Posted 8th Nov
ebay allows sellers and buyers of software and if it goes belly-up they say

"This case is now closed

Hello *********

We're sorry you have a problem with your purchase. However, this item isn't covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee.

After reviewing all the details of this request, we determined that you won't receive a refund."

The seller is laughing all the way to the bank!!!!
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
jamie1509/11/2019 01:28

Too late now as PP cases cannot be opened if eBay case is opened. Now eBay …Too late now as PP cases cannot be opened if eBay case is opened. Now eBay decided in seller's favour, PP will refuse to step in.

Mmm, but we have a non-standard instance here where the PP account is now closed, which may circumvent any one-or-the-other restriction, but in any event @ChuckTheDuck you may be able to initiate a chargeback if you used a payment card to fund the purchase (please please please do not disappoint us by saying that you've cancelled your payment card, or closed bank account, or paid with PP balance or coffee beans).
30 Comments
That a heads up. Thanks.

By the way who was the seller?What was the item? What was the problem? How much was it?

Actually, that's not very helpful.
Terms & conditions of EMBG openly available prior to purchase.
Prior to purchase did you also read PayPal's t&c about intangible goods?
It was Internet Security, supposedly one device protection from an authorised reseller with good feedback. £8

When it was emailed it was a shared key i.e. 3/5 rather than 1/1

I had to buy another internet package from another seller which I could add to my account rather than run the risk of it being pulled by the seller or software company.
AndyRoyd08/11/2019 23:30

Terms & conditions of EMBG openly available prior to purchase. Prior to …Terms & conditions of EMBG openly available prior to purchase. Prior to purchase did you also read PayPal's t&c about intangible goods?

this is plastered on their page

Shop with confidence

eBay Premium Service
Trusted seller, fast delivery and easy returns. Learn more- opens in new window or tab

eBay Money Back Guarantee
Get the item you ordered or your money back. Learn more- opens in new window or tab
If you said unauthorised transaction they would have immediately refunded. First time I've seen a buyer lose for intangible goods. PayPal cover intangible goods on their buyer protection but not seller protection, if you claimed through them you'd get an instant refund.
ChuckTheDuck08/11/2019 23:38

this is plastered on their pageShop with confidence eBay Premium …this is plastered on their pageShop with confidence eBay Premium ServiceTrusted seller, fast delivery and easy returns. Learn more- opens in new window or tab eBay Money Back Guarantee Get the item you ordered or your money back. Learn more- opens in new window or tab

Presumably you chose not to "Learn more" where if you had you would have read multiple occurences of the phrase "...Some types of listings are excluded: vehicles, real estate, businesses for sale, and digitally delivered goods or service. You can find all the details on the eBay Money Back Guarantee policy page..."
Regardless and to repeat: prior to purchase did you also read PayPal's t&c about intangible goods?
AndyRoyd09/11/2019 00:02

Presumably you chose not to "Learn more" where if you had you would have …Presumably you chose not to "Learn more" where if you had you would have read multiple occurences of the phrase "...Some types of listings are excluded: vehicles, real estate, businesses for sale, and digitally delivered goods or service. You can find all the details on the eBay Money Back Guarantee policy page..."Regardless and to repeat: prior to purchase did you also read PayPal's t&c about intangible goods?

I wrongly assumed I was covered as it was accepted as a listing.
ChuckTheDuck09/11/2019 00:28

I wrongly assumed I was covered as it was accepted as a listing.

Please set ebay aside: prior to purchase did you also read PayPal's t&c about intangible goods?
jamie1508/11/2019 23:55

If you said unauthorised transaction they would have immediately refunded. …If you said unauthorised transaction they would have immediately refunded. First time I've seen a buyer lose for intangible goods. PayPal cover intangible goods on their buyer protection but not seller protection, if you claimed through them you'd get an instant refund.

I've closed Paypal account, didn't know could.
AndyRoyd09/11/2019 00:30

Please set ebay aside: prior to purchase did you also read PayPal's t&c …Please set ebay aside: prior to purchase did you also read PayPal's t&c about intangible goods?

NO. How would I know.
ChuckTheDuck09/11/2019 00:31

NO. How would I know.

I don't understand your response. Bottom line is PP covers intangible goods. I was (repeatedly) asking if you had read PPs t&c to see if PPs definition of cover for intangible goods would include your purchase.
TBH, as you appear disappointed with everything to do with the purchase and may not be bothered to do some background t&c reading, just slap-in a PP claim and see if PP side in your favour.
AndyRoyd09/11/2019 00:37

I don't understand your response. Bottom line is PP covers intangible …I don't understand your response. Bottom line is PP covers intangible goods. I was (repeatedly) asking if you had read PPs t&c to see if PPs definition of cover for intangible goods would include your purchase.TBH, as you appear disappointed with everything to do with the purchase and may not be bothered to do some background t&c reading, just slap-in a PP claim and see if PP side in your favour.

Ah, you've closed PP account. Sorry to sound dull: read PP t&c to see if you can apply a retrospective claim.
The person is pertaining to being an authorised seller and allowed to carry on selling.

What they are doing is buying multiple seats/user packages, generating keys and selling them on singly and ebay allows!!

Have the cheek to say not covered
ChuckTheDuck09/11/2019 00:41

The person is pertaining to being an authorised seller and allowed to …The person is pertaining to being an authorised seller and allowed to carry on selling.What they are doing is buying multiple seats/user packages, generating keys and selling them on singly and ebay allows!!Have the cheek to say not covered

You're not covered as stated within the ebay t&c that, politely, you chose not to read. You would likely be covered by PayPal's policy relating to intangible goods, in which case (sic) the seller would not be "laughing all the way to the bank".
AndyRoyd09/11/2019 00:37

I don't understand your response. Bottom line is PP covers intangible …I don't understand your response. Bottom line is PP covers intangible goods. I was (repeatedly) asking if you had read PPs t&c to see if PPs definition of cover for intangible goods would include your purchase.TBH, as you appear disappointed with everything to do with the purchase and may not be bothered to do some background t&c reading, just slap-in a PP claim and see if PP side in your favour.

Too late now as PP cases cannot be opened if eBay case is opened. Now eBay decided in seller's favour, PP will refuse to step in.
You thought you were getting something cheap... You were. Internet security is so cheap nowadays, why risk yourself for a few pence?
As to why eBay allow them to sell... why not, they still make money out of them. They obviously satisfy the minimum criteria Ebay demands - pay on time. That's all that matters really as far as Ebay are concerned. Digital goods has always been a dodgy market - so easy to con someone - that's why it's excluded from the Ebay cover. Think about it, it's free insurance so they aren't going to insure against an almost certain payout, that's a recipe for disaster. Apply to PayPal if you paid by PayPal. You should I believe still be covered for any transaction that went through them though you closed down your account (curiously, why close it down if you are annoyed with Ebay?).
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 9th Nov
Ringfinger09/11/2019 01:32

You thought you were getting something cheap... You were. Internet …You thought you were getting something cheap... You were. Internet security is so cheap nowadays, why risk yourself for a few pence?As to why eBay allow them to sell... why not, they still make money out of them. They obviously satisfy the minimum criteria Ebay demands - pay on time. That's all that matters really as far as Ebay are concerned. Digital goods has always been a dodgy market - so easy to con someone - that's why it's excluded from the Ebay cover. Think about it, it's free insurance so they aren't going to insure against an almost certain payout, that's a recipe for disaster. Apply to PayPal if you paid by PayPal. You should I believe still be covered for any transaction that went through them though you closed down your account (curiously, why close it down if you are annoyed with Ebay?).

I closed both as upset at being conned. (First and last time)

YES, should have gone to a retail store. (via Specsavers lol)

You try and list on FB marketplace and many items go via mods, (or get asked questions like for beauty items) eBay should do more.

Too late now as PP cases cannot be opened if eBay case is opened. Now eBay …Too late now as PP cases cannot be opened if eBay case is opened. Now eBay decided in seller's favour, PP will refuse to step in.

Mmm, but we have a non-standard instance here where the PP account is now closed, which may circumvent any one-or-the-other restriction, but in any event @ChuckTheDuck you may be able to initiate a chargeback if you used a payment card to fund the purchase (please please please do not disappoint us by saying that you've cancelled your payment card, or closed bank account, or paid with PP balance or coffee beans).
My understanding of what you have written is that you purchased Internet security and were provided with Internet security, but you choose not to use it, as it was a share of a licence rather than a stand alone product. Can you link to the seller as I don't really see a problem here.
Pandamansays09/11/2019 10:49

My understanding of what you have written is that you purchased Internet …My understanding of what you have written is that you purchased Internet security and were provided with Internet security, but you choose not to use it, as it was a share of a licence rather than a stand alone product. Can you link to the seller as I don't really see a problem here.

Your not supposed to sell a share of your product (against software t’s & c’s) as it’s for single household only. If anybody has a problem you don’t hold the product, the ebayer does. They lie saying they are authorised. Their buyer feedback shows they are buying from a multitude of software ebayers, obviously to sell on in splits (Hardly authorised)
AndyRoyd09/11/2019 01:34

Mmm, but we have a non-standard instance here where the PP account is now …Mmm, but we have a non-standard instance here where the PP account is now closed, which may circumvent any one-or-the-other restriction, but in any event @ChuckTheDuck you may be able to initiate a chargeback if you used a payment card to fund the purchase (please please please do not disappoint us by saying that you've cancelled your payment card, or closed bank account, or paid with PP balance or coffee beans).

I funded the eBay PayPal purchase through a credit card. (Shows on statement)
Lol my feedback has been deleted. eBay is facilitating dubious practices.
AndyRoyd09/11/2019 01:34

Mmm, but we have a non-standard instance here where the PP account is now …Mmm, but we have a non-standard instance here where the PP account is now closed, which may circumvent any one-or-the-other restriction, but in any event @ChuckTheDuck you may be able to initiate a chargeback if you used a payment card to fund the purchase (please please please do not disappoint us by saying that you've cancelled your payment card, or closed bank account, or paid with PP balance or coffee beans).

Chargeback would be the only way.
ChuckTheDuck09/11/2019 12:36

Lol my feedback has been deleted. eBay is facilitating dubious practices.

If case is decided in seller's favour, then feedback is removed.

Not disputing what you are saying, but any chance you have a URL ref to the one-or-the-other PayPal t&c (may have a family member in same boat after a difficult purchase of a questionable £231 item); not fussed about the ebay t&c. Thanks.
AndyRoyd09/11/2019 15:16

Not disputing what you are saying, but any chance you have a URL ref to …Not disputing what you are saying, but any chance you have a URL ref to the one-or-the-other PayPal t&c (may have a family member in same boat after a difficult purchase of a questionable £231 item); not fussed about the ebay t&c. Thanks.

I stand corrected. They changed this policy a while back but I didn't realise.
Next time open up a not arrived or unauthorized transaction case
Norseg10/11/2019 09:46

Next time open up a not arrived or unauthorized transaction case

Ah, lie. The age old get out clause.
Credit Card say ‘NO’ they say item is provided in a roundabout way. (Suggest small claims lol)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants