What age do you think people should stop driving

Found 18th Jan
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
There is no age to stop driving, there is only illness and capability that stops people driving.

My papa drove until he fell really ill and knew for the safety of others and his own safety that he had to stop driving, it was the saddest day of his life but, he did the right thing and until he passed away I drove him where and when he needed and had to go
From my observations , I would also say 17 - and only be allowed to start driving at ,say 28 , when they have outgrown the Boy Racer /Top Gear mentality .
How would you feel if you were perfectly capable of driving but were told you couldn't anymore? Someone at 75 could be more capable at driving than someone at 30 years old. Who's going to spend time and money on extra driving tests every year when people have already passed?
dcb013 m ago

Maybe ask the Queen

I am the queen and I am asking you
198 Comments
this is difficult but I feel 75 is enough, most if not all poeple at that age would have suffered mild cognative impairment
"Asking for a friend"
When they start driving at 20 mile per hour on any road.
I'd make certain ages take tests again, from 65, then every 5 years or so. If they fail it a couple of times just take their licence. Sounds harsh. The same could be done to young first time drivers lol
people really age at different rates, if it's a case of Alzheimer's that can happen as low as 50's but that also doesn't mean someone with it would be incapable of driving.

I think people should be tested at least every decade, or 5 years at higher years because laws change over time as well, someone in their 70's today would have a drastically different driving test to what they may have taken in their 20's or even younger.

Alternately no one should drive at all because environment, there could be better transport options
I have a lot of friends over that age in church. They bring me home and their driving is perfect. I rely on these kind people and wouldn't get in the car with them if I thought they weren't capable. They put most of the youth of today to shame. They are fit physically and mentally very quick! It depends on the individual. I think some sort of test after 70 every 2-3 years would be a good idea.
Edited by: "I_Am_Groot" 18th Jan
deleted1421316
97 if recent events are anything to go by.
From my observations , I would also say 17 - and only be allowed to start driving at ,say 28 , when they have outgrown the Boy Racer /Top Gear mentality .
miles13642 m ago

this is difficult but I feel 75 is enough, most if not all poeple at that …this is difficult but I feel 75 is enough, most if not all poeple at that age would have suffered mild cognative impairment

Would you still the same if you lived in an isolated area with poor or non existent public transport?
I have always supported the need for regular compulsory medicals for all throughout their driving career.
landros11 m ago

Would you still the same if you lived in an isolated area with poor or non …Would you still the same if you lived in an isolated area with poor or non existent public transport?I have always supported the need for regular compulsory medicals for all throughout their driving career.

yes I would
I don’t think there should be an age limit! I think there should be a speed limit on all cars of 75mph except the emergency services. Maybe that may stop tailgating, which is more of an issue!
bbc.co.uk/new…489

Driverless cars will make this question defunct in a few years.
joxeruk200046 m ago

When they start driving at 20 mile per hour on any road.

Including a 20 mph limit (schools etc)!
Maybe 65-70 and a yearly test should be required. Not necessarily a full driving test but some sort of reactions and memory one.

Even if a 97 year old might be fully compos mentis in his head (i doubt he ever was) his physical reactions most likely won't be up to the physical task. Cars have to pass MOT's, so should old people.
Wongy11056 m ago

"Asking for a friend"

Maybe ask the Queen
Edited by: "dcb01" 18th Jan
dcb013 m ago

Maybe ask the Queen

rogparki35 m ago

From my observations , I would also say 17 - and only be allowed to start …From my observations , I would also say 17 - and only be allowed to start driving at ,say 28 , when they have outgrown the Boy Racer /Top Gear mentality .

Quote"MORE POWER".
miles13611 m ago

miles13612 m ago

"I have told my husband he is no longer permitted to get behind a wheel"
How would you feel if you were perfectly capable of driving but were told you couldn't anymore? Someone at 75 could be more capable at driving than someone at 30 years old. Who's going to spend time and money on extra driving tests every year when people have already passed?
I’m n
jamie1518th Jan

How would you feel if you were perfectly capable of driving but were told …How would you feel if you were perfectly capable of driving but were told you couldn't anymore? Someone at 75 could be more capable at driving than someone at 30 years old. Who's going to spend time and money on extra driving tests every year when people have already passed?

I’m not allowed to drive anymore and it annoys me when people swinging it say they can drive really ???
I think 80 is the last age where ppl should drive BUT you hit 65 then your GP should declare you fit and well and you should get your eyes checked from 65 to 70
After 70 you should have to get your eyes checked plus a GP certificate and have a DVLA test every 2 and half years ( takes you to 75)
75 to 80 you should have a GP CERTIFICATE plus eyes tested and DVLA driving test ( specially tailored for OAPs) every year
Edited by: "neilakabej" 18th Jan
A quick Google search says that 94% of car accidents are human error. The elderly seem safe enough compared to 18 - 30 year olds.

I know one local resident that had altzeheimers. He drove safely to the shops and then forgot where he lived. How can you distinguish?

I'm not arguing for OAP's (I'm 50 btw) but I'm just saying there's no right answer.

Roll on driverless cars btw because that is the answer.
When they're in a coffin
Its not age we are debating in this country its capability.
Now if we stick to capability then nearly a quarter of motorists should be off the road, off the motorway as a minimum
This age He can drive us round the bend
When you get a diagnosis of altzeheimers surely the dvla get notified?
joxeruk20004 m ago

The person might forget to tell them.. too soon
Edited by: "I_Am_Groot" 18th Jan
ASongOfFireAndIce2 h, 20 m ago

I don’t think there should be an age limit! I think there should be a s …I don’t think there should be an age limit! I think there should be a speed limit on all cars of 75mph except the emergency services. Maybe that may stop tailgating, which is more of an issue!

Did you read that article in New Scientist?
joxeruk200049 m ago

hope, they can drive till they crash or the family tells the Dr about their driving skills,
family say things like "its ok I am sat with him when he makes a mistake I tell him"
"there was no traffic coming towards us so we just turned round and went the right way up the road"
"he has to keep driving I can not get to the shops if he stops"
"we do not go on motoways"

All old people off the roads.
ASongOfFireAndIce2 h, 27 m ago

I don’t think there should be an age limit! I think there should be a s …I don’t think there should be an age limit! I think there should be a speed limit on all cars of 75mph except the emergency services. Maybe that may stop tailgating, which is more of an issue!

It won’t stop tailgating when people drive 50mph in the outside lane and people want to go at 75. I agree all vehicles should be restricted to 75!
summerof761 h, 8 m ago

[Image] This age He can drive us round the bend

There is no age to stop driving, there is only illness and capability that stops people driving.

My papa drove until he fell really ill and knew for the safety of others and his own safety that he had to stop driving, it was the saddest day of his life but, he did the right thing and until he passed away I drove him where and when he needed and had to go
I don’t think you can put an age on it, it should be based on health. I know 90 year olds who are more functional and active than some 50-60 year olds becUse they have stayed active
landros12 h, 59 m ago

Would you still the same if you lived in an isolated area with poor or non …Would you still the same if you lived in an isolated area with poor or non existent public transport?I have always supported the need for regular compulsory medicals for all throughout their driving career.

A inappropriate home location choice does not entitle that person to special consideration.
GlentoranMark3 h, 3 m ago

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24204489Driverless cars will make this …https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24204489Driverless cars will make this question defunct in a few years.

A lot has changed since that article was written nearly 6 years ago but the revelation this last week, really is how many thought it would go.

carsguide.com.au/car…556

To many factors, reality is the general standard of driving in this country is shocking you could say any age.
When they start wetting themselves
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants