What age does a cot last up till?

Found 23rd Dec 2011
Morning all.
I had cot beds with my older two, but my room is a bit tight for space so am considering buying a cot instead to save space.

Was hoping any of you lovely lot can tell me what age your little ones were able to stay in their cot for?

Thanks x
Community Updates
MiscCot
25 Comments
My little one is 2 and still in his cot, I think we will get away with it for another few months yet but it depends on the child, my friends little one has been in bed for four months as he was climbing out and he's the same age.
I'm 39 and still sleep in one !
My 12 month old son is still In his cot, it's an ikea cot. My daughter was in hers till about 15months I think then I got her a little bed. Isn't a cot bed the same size as a cot?
Edited by: "pink-ka" 23rd Dec 2011
I bought a cot for my now 26mth old, she was out of it by 12mths ( she's so long ) so bought hera cotbed as didn't feel she was ready for a bed then, with my now 15mth old I bought a cotbed right from the start and she's still in it as she's so restless at night she's not ready for a bed yet
about 18-24 months - we used the cot, then took off one of the sides for a couple of months as an interim step before putting both daughters into real beds
my daughter is 3 in jan and still in her cot , will be putting her in a bed soon though , not had the need to put her in a bed as she doesn't try and climb out and she hasn't out grown it
cots are different sizes...continental 60x120 but i think ikeas are smaller..cotbed is 70x140. A good regular cot should last til 2 easily imo but an ikea one not cos they tend to catch the rails and wake or can climb out!
wishihadadonkey

I bought a cot for my now 26mth old, she was out of it by 12mths ( she's … I bought a cot for my now 26mth old, she was out of it by 12mths ( she's so long ) so bought hera cotbed as didn't feel she was ready for a bed then, with my now 15mth old I bought a cotbed right from the start and she's still in it as she's so restless at night she's not ready for a bed yet

How old is Hera? Lovely name that. Very unusual. Sort of like Hero.

As others have said all depends upon the child, primarily due to climbing out or size.
deek72

Picky so and so
JR Hartley

Picky so and so

Lol. Donks doesn't mind
Thanks everyone - I forgot about factoring in the age at which they start escaping from the cot at nap time

I am considering getting a crib instead of a moses basket as cribs are a bit bigger and last till around 6 months old (the one I am looking at will also work out not much different in price by the time buy the basket stand, too), but was wondering how much use I would get out of a cot after 6 months of age.
I was hoping a cot would last a bit longer than 12 months as I wasn't planning to put baby in to share with brother/sister quite that young (maybe 18 months?)
The cot I am looking at is 121cm length x 61cm width

A cotbed doesn't seem much bigger space-wise at 144cm x 74cm but it all adds up when trying to fit it in
Edited by: "Mrs.Z" 23rd Dec 2011
I think it depends on how quickly the child grows (can sometimes be estimated from comparing with other siblings), and how adventurous the child is
deek72

cross between she ra and he man
Cot and cotbed is same size no?

We turned our cotbed into a bed when our daughter was just over 2. She wasn't escaping I just felt it would be more grown up for her
Mrs.Z

Thanks everyone - I forgot about factoring in the age at which they start … Thanks everyone - I forgot about factoring in the age at which they start escaping from the cot at nap time :DI am considering getting a crib instead of a moses basket as cribs are a bit bigger and last till around 6 months old (the one I am looking at will also work out not much different in price by the time buy the basket stand, too), but was wondering how much use I would get out of a cot after 6 months of age.I was hoping a cot would last a bit longer than 12 months as I wasn't planning to put baby in to share with brother/sister quite that young (maybe 18 months?)

Have you not thought about just putting them straight in a cot instead of Moses basket, I found my two didn't stay in the Moses basket long and if I had another baby I would put them straight in a cot to save some money, I had the Moses basket given me so glad I didn't buy it.
pink-ka

Have you not thought about just putting them straight in a cot instead of … Have you not thought about just putting them straight in a cot instead of Moses basket, I found my two didn't stay in the Moses basket long and if I had another baby I would put them straight in a cot to save some money, I had the Moses basket given me so glad I didn't buy it.

I was also considering that but was thinking that it might be less 'cosy' than a basket or crib. Also, both my other two liked being rocked so was going to get either a rocking moses basket stand or swinging crib
Mrs.Z

I was also considering that but was thinking that it might be less 'cosy' … I was also considering that but was thinking that it might be less 'cosy' than a basket or crib. Also, both my other two liked being rocked so was going to get either a rocking moses basket stand or swinging crib

i think the cot sizes you quote may be exterior not mattress size...and you can get quite big swinging cribs..but if you are trying to economise they always go cheap on ebay just get a new mattress...you can always put a moses in the cot to make it cosy so no stand needed!!

due to lack of space my daughter age 12mths was in a bunk bed (lower lol) and i put a safety side on and a gate on the room and she was absolutely fine in every way..i think they key is to do it early enough..
On average all 3 of mine were out of their cots by 18 months - 2 years old.
pink-ka

Have you not thought about just putting them straight in a cot instead of … Have you not thought about just putting them straight in a cot instead of Moses basket, I found my two didn't stay in the Moses basket long and if I had another baby I would put them straight in a cot to save some money, I had the Moses basket given me so glad I didn't buy it.

Problem with putting straight into the cot is with a basket or a crib you get "cosyness / safe / smaller / comforting" when you use a cot they lose that and can sometimes scream due to having too much space (despite being swaddled). Also with a cot its harder to get them out of it (depending how far it drops down).
http://greenbabyguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/baby_in_drawer.jpg
Quick and cheap solution
Edited by: "WoolyM" 23rd Dec 2011
deleted265520
Some of our resident miskers still sleep in cots.
My tall daughter was 2 1/2 before I put her in a bed. She filled the cot but still slept well. She experimented with climbing out once but was so shocked when she fell that she didn't do it again!
The main problem is when the baby trys to climb out..... its a long fall from over the rail
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants