What Android phone for £220-250?

Posted 2nd Jun
If I rule out anything Moto, Huawei (unless it's a model that still has access to the Play store) and Xiaomi, what's my best option for an Android phone around the £250 mark and currently available?
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Google Pixel range of phones. First to get the latest updates. Even the original 2016 version has been given the latest software update (Samsung only 2 years) and the best camera I've ever seen on a phone (much better than Samsung's for this price)

I'm currently using a Pixel 2 XL they can be had for around £150 or sometimes less, but the Pixel 3 is in the bracket you're talking about.

I was always a Samsung user, but I'll never go back, so glad I made the move.
SteamyWee02/06/2020 18:52

Google Pixel range of phones. First to get the latest updates. Even the …Google Pixel range of phones. First to get the latest updates. Even the original 2016 version has been given the latest software update (Samsung only 2 years) and the best camera I've ever seen on a phone (much better than Samsung's for this price)I'm currently using a Pixel 2 XL they can be had for around £150 or sometimes less, but the Pixel 3 is in the bracket you're talking about.I was always a Samsung user, but I'll never go back, so glad I made the move.

i am a samsung fan and i have been looking to move away from the brand. google pixel seems a good candidate as they make small phones and it has a headphone jack (although that may no longer be that important to me).

good to hear your experience with google.
mutley102/06/2020 18:56

i am a samsung fan and i have been looking to move away from the brand. …i am a samsung fan and i have been looking to move away from the brand. google pixel seems a good candidate as they make small phones and it has a headphone jack (although that may no longer be that important to me).good to hear your experience with google.

You won't look back, honestly. They are amazing phones. Great support too from Google if anything goes wrong. I bought mine second hand off eBay. It stopped charging fully and was near the end of its 2 year warranty (2 weeks away). Google replaced it within 3 days, with a refurbished (as new) phone and it's been going strong ever since. Monthly software updates and I expect my 2017 phone to be getting Android 11 and maybe even 12.
Edited by: "SteamyWee" 2nd Jun
hotukdeals.com/dea…398

Honor 20 still has Google Services and is a good phone for the price. Any reason for ruling out Xiaomi? They have quite a selection of good models within your price range.
Why on earth would you rule out Moto?
deleted250841402/06/2020 19:31

Why on earth would you rule out Moto?

Previous poor experience. Bad enough to rule them out unless they make big changes, particularly around customer service.
If you want Amoled screen and big battery get Samsung A series device or m30
Nokia worth a look as well.

Why rule out Xiaomi though? Missing out on some of the best value handsets out there, especially in the price range you are looking at.
I used Pixel 2XL for 2+ years, moved to Samsung S10+ in December and honestly it feels like a downgrade. Camera was so much better on Pixel. Also getting the latest updates or running beta version of new one. Google Assistant is very nicely integrated into Pixels as well. So +1 for Pixel phones. 🏼

Let's see how Samsung goes for updates, stuck with it for 2 years for now.

Edit: the reason I upgraded to S10+ was for the screen (high Res + HDR) since I watch all my media on phone.
Edited by: "D3SI" 3rd Jun
tenohfive02/06/2020 19:35

Previous poor experience. Bad enough to rule them out unless they make big …Previous poor experience. Bad enough to rule them out unless they make big changes, particularly around customer service.

Ahh I see, we all have different experience of customer service. I've never had to contact Moto so I wouldn't know. However I've had two of their phones and they've been great.

Companies on my avoid list due to similar reasons are Vodafone, Sky and Sony.

Good Luck with your hunt
A lot of love for the Pixel's then, although 64gb with no expandable storage seems a little slim to me - no risk of filling up?
Struggling to find the 3a below £300, I could stretch a little beyond £250 but I think that's a bit far - especially as it's been £280 fairly recently.
Post a comment
@
    Text