What are apps please?

Found 5th Jun 2009
I have a nokia 5800 and read that I can download "apps" but my question is what are they? What do they do? Thanks!

1. Misc
  2. App
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. App
17 Comments

Applications. So anything and everything, just like a computer basically where Microsoft Office Word/Excel and so on are applications.

Banned

applications, i suppose its like adding software to your phone

Apps is the shortened form of "applications". Applications is any peice of software you run. Like your web browser, or a game, or a media player, anything. Investigate for yourself, you might find something special.

Definition: Apps is an abbreviation for application. An app is a piece of software. It can run on the Internet, on your computer, or on your phone or other electronic device.

Original Poster

Thanks - I have found this store.ovi.com/ - are they any good?
It says i have to send it to my phone with internet link, wont this use my internet connection/mb allowance to download from text

The Nokia 5800 has the symbian operating system - you can download apps at this address.]http//sy…et/

Banned

applications in case you didnt get it

Original Poster

Lol everyone - I get they are applications. I just dont really understand what they are!!

Banned

bargainhunter2009;5409435

Lol everyone - I get they are applications. I just dont really understand … Lol everyone - I get they are applications. I just dont really understand what they are!!

well each one will be different - lol

if you put on ganes thats an application, if you put on sat nav thats anothr application, i thnk one of us isnt being to clear and what we do/dont understand - lol

apps can be games, utilities absolubtly anything.

think of a computer, anything you use on your computer is an application, word pad is an application, paint, is and application, the caluculator is an application, even internet explorer is an application.

you can add and remove these to your computer, your phone is now a mini computer too.

For example you may well be able to download a language conversion app, type in the english and if translates it for you..... the world is your oyster hun, just just have to look which ones are usefull to you.

bargainhunter2009;5409435

Lol everyone - I get they are applications. I just dont really understand … Lol everyone - I get they are applications. I just dont really understand what they are!!

crd67;5409361

The Nokia 5800 has the symbian operating system - you can download apps … The Nokia 5800 has the symbian operating system - you can download apps at this address.]http://symbianapplications.net/

Click on the link in the quote and it lists the applications that can be used on your mobile, what they are, what they do and so on.

Original Poster

MinstrelMan;5409469

apps can be games, utilities absolubtly anything.think of a computer, … apps can be games, utilities absolubtly anything.think of a computer, anything you use on your computer is an application, word pad is an application, paint, is and application, the caluculator is an application, even internet explorer is an application.you can add and remove these to your computer, your phone is now a mini computer too.For example you may well be able to download a language conversion app, type in the english and if translates it for you..... the world is your oyster hun, just just have to look which ones are usefull to you.

Thanks, I get it now.

One final question - if I download something that is 1mb for instance is that 1mb of my mobile internet allowance it will use? Thanks

Banned

op have you not got wireless interent at home, daughter uses that to do anything on her phone

Original Poster

sassie;5409494

op have you not got wireless interent at home, daughter uses that to do … op have you not got wireless interent at home, daughter uses that to do anything on her phone

Yes Sassie I have, can I use that instead?

Or you can use a data cable, or if it uses a memory card you can transfer onto that from your computer and then plug it into your phone.

You could probably even send it over Bluetooth or possibly Infrared lol

Banned

bargainhunter2009;5409501

Yes Sassie I have, can I use that instead?

yes, my daughter had mobile interent but it was crap only place she got a signal was at home, so we removed it, so she can only use home broadband now, we deleted connections for t mobile incase she did it accidentally

Original Poster

Thanks for the replies - been playing around with phone but when I try to connect it to internet it connects (from linksys router and wep key) but it keeps saying no gateway reply??
Post a comment
@
    Text