Groups

What are Game doing ? Cyberpower PC Builds.

I'm in the market of upgrading my current PC and came across these X)

The price they are asking for these half arsed builds is completely ridiculous.

Processor
    Intel® Core™ i5-7400 Quad Core (7th Gen) CPU 3.0GHz
    6MB cache
    Turbo’s up to 3.5GHZ max.
    Memory
    16GB 2133MHz DDR4 Kingston
    2 x Dimm slots (1 x free)
    Hard Drive
    1TB SATA III (SATA 6.0GBs)
    Operating System
    Genuine Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit (pre-installed, Cyberpower recovery disk)
    Display
    Monitor not included
    Graphics
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6GB Direct X12

Game Store

Just wanted to point out to people not in the know, that these are not a good choice if you are in the market of upgrading. Don't buy pre-built.

29 Comments

Pre-built pcs are always over priced why are you surprised?

is the only issue you have no monitor or what exactly is it your trying to say ?

Original Poster

ritchiedrama

Pre-built pcs are always over priced why are you surprised?

I haven't upgraded mine for the past 3 years so was having a browse around and looking into the new Ryzen chips. Followed a link to the Game site. I didn't know they even sold PC Hardware, then I noticed the specs and the pricing and had a chuckle to myself. Thats all. Just wanted to point out to people not in the know that these aren't a good choice.

MrCollective

I haven't upgraded mine for the past 3 years so was having a browse … I haven't upgraded mine for the past 3 years so was having a browse around and looking into the new Ryzen chips. Followed a link to the Game site. I didn't know they even sold PC Hardware, then I noticed the specs and the pricing and had a chuckle to myself. Thats all. Just wanted to point out to people not in the know that these aren't a good choice.

Ryzen looks nice. I recently upgraded to a 7700K and 1080ti. Thinking of building a Ryzen 1600 too.

Original Poster

ritchiedrama

Ryzen looks nice. I recently upgraded to a 7700K and 1080ti. Thinking of … Ryzen looks nice. I recently upgraded to a 7700K and 1080ti. Thinking of building a Ryzen 1600 too.

So far I've spec'd up:
    Motherboard\x09Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero
    CPU\x09AMD Ryzen 1700X 3.8Ghz Turbo
    RAM\x0916GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance
    mSATA SSD\x09250GB Samsung 850 Evo mSATA
    Case\x09Corsair Carbide Series Air 540

MrCollective

So far I've spec'd up:Motherboard\x09Asus ROG Crosshair VI HeroCPU\x09AMD … So far I've spec'd up:Motherboard\x09Asus ROG Crosshair VI HeroCPU\x09AMD Ryzen 1700X 3.8Ghz TurboRAM\x0916GB Corsair DDR4 VengeancemSATA SSD\x09250GB Samsung 850 Evo mSATACase\x09Corsair Carbide Series Air 540

Any reason for the 1700X? Unless you're a big content creator pretty pointless. The 1600 performs the same in gaming and if you're still wanting R7 the 1700 is the better choice.

Original Poster

ritchiedrama

Any reason for the 1700X? Unless you're a big content creator pretty … Any reason for the 1700X? Unless you're a big content creator pretty pointless. The 1600 performs the same in gaming and if you're still wanting R7 the 1700 is the better choice.

Game but not 5+ hours a day anymore.

Looking at the 1700X as the PC is used more of a Workstation these days. The additional power wouldn't go a miss and for the price difference now its not a hard hitter.

I do a far bit of video editing for Aircraft POV's and Multi rotor - No idea if the X has any influence on that.

I'd like to see the performance of the new GPU's before I upgrade my 780ti for XFR performance.
    Edited by: "MrCollective" 20th Apr

don't see the issue myself, they are offering up something at a price, people can either buy it or not, when you bought your laptop did you say, oh i could have made this for less?

prebuilt is always going to be at a premium.

yeah you could buy the parts and a windows licence for half the price, but then you have to build it yourself, and although its just plugging in a few wires etc some people haven't got the slightest idea how do do it, the same way there are computer repair shops where they will stick in a new hard driver or add some ram for a massive cost, because some people just don't know how to do it, or cant be bothered, yeah you could go and buy tht tick of ram for £25 but if you havent got a clue what youre doing or what to buy, paying the shop £50 to sort it out and but in the correct bits is worth it.

just curious, when your car gets a fault or needs something doing, do you take it to a garage? why? you could buy the parts for cheaper and do it yourself, no? brake pads for £20 quid instead of the £80 the garage will charge, change the head gasket for the £30 gasket instead of the £400 garage cost.

why is a computer build seen as different?
    Edited by: "eset12345" 20th Apr

eset12345

don't see the issue myself, they are offering up something at a price, … don't see the issue myself, they are offering up something at a price, people can either buy it or not, when you bought your laptop did you say, oh i could have made this for less?prebuilt is always going to be at a premium.yeah you could buy the parts and a windows licence for half the price, but then you have to build it yourself, and although its just plugging in a few wires etc some people haven't got the slightest idea how do do it, the same way there are computer repair shops where they will stick in a new hard driver or add some ram for a massive cost, because some people just don't know how to do it, or cant be bothered, yeah you could go and buy tht tick of ram for £25 but if you havent got a clue what youre doing or what to buy, paying the shop £50 to sort it out and but in the correct bits is worth it.just curious, when your car gets a fault or needs something doing, do you take it to a garage? why? you could buy the parts for cheaper and do it yourself, no? brake pads for £20 quid instead of the £80 the garage will charge, change the head gasket for the £30 gasket instead of the £400 garage cost.why is a computer build seen as different?

​Because it is a lot less complicated than a car?

eset12345

don't see the issue myself, they are offering up something at a price, … don't see the issue myself, they are offering up something at a price, people can either buy it or not, when you bought your laptop did you say, oh i could have made this for less?prebuilt is always going to be at a premium.yeah you could buy the parts and a windows licence for half the price, but then you have to build it yourself, and although its just plugging in a few wires etc some people haven't got the slightest idea how do do it, the same way there are computer repair shops where they will stick in a new hard driver or add some ram for a massive cost, because some people just don't know how to do it, or cant be bothered, yeah you could go and buy tht tick of ram for £25 but if you havent got a clue what youre doing or what to buy, paying the shop £50 to sort it out and but in the correct bits is worth it.just curious, when your car gets a fault or needs something doing, do you take it to a garage? why? you could buy the parts for cheaper and do it yourself, no? brake pads for £20 quid instead of the £80 the garage will charge, change the head gasket for the £30 gasket instead of the £400 garage cost.why is a computer build seen as different?

Don't compare plugging about 5-6 lego like components together in a small mid tower case to a car.

MrCollective

Game but not 5+ hours a day anymore.Looking at the 1700X as the PC is … Game but not 5+ hours a day anymore.Looking at the 1700X as the PC is used more of a Workstation these days. The additional power wouldn't go a miss and for the price difference now its not a hard hitter.I do a far bit of video editing for Aircraft POV's and Multi rotor - No idea if the X has any influence on that.I'd like to see the performance of the new GPU's before I upgrade my 780ti for XFR performance.

The 1700 is what you want then. No need for the X at all, just spending money for no benefit. You don't get a free CPU cooler, it performs IDENTICAL.

Original Poster

eset12345

Hey,

I don't really want this discussion to turn into a Pre-build vs Build-A-PC for Dummies thread but In short building a PC is very simple and easily learnt by watching a 10 - 15 minute youtube video. Most of us learned to build PC's at a young age (Im guessing) as there weren't many "Pre-Builds" available.

The build above is extremely dull and you can find better Pre-built PCs on various other websites.

MrCollective

Hey,I don't really want this discussion to turn into a Pre-build vs … Hey,I don't really want this discussion to turn into a Pre-build vs Build-A-PC for Dummies thread but In short building a PC is very simple and easily learnt by watching a 10 - 15 minute youtube video. Most of us learned to build PC's at a young age (Im guessing) as there weren't many "Pre-Builds" available.The build above is extremely dull and you can find better Pre-built PCs on various other websites.

changing a head gasket is easy, you can learn it by watching a youtube video ans use literally a couple of spanners.

ritchiedrama

Don't compare plugging about 5-6 lego like components together in a small … Don't compare plugging about 5-6 lego like components together in a small mid tower case to a car.

why not? changing brake pads you literally unbolt 2 bolts and place in new pads, but people pay 4 times the cost of the parts for a garage to do them, same with brake rotors, sometimes they simply push on, others its a couple of bolts, yet people will pay a garage £300 to have them done.

electrical issues? a £5 multimeter will find the problem for you.

do a diagnostic check by literally plugging in a single plug.

most jobs on cars are easy as pie, but people don't do them. you can completely strip and put a car back together with some very basic tools.
    Edited by: "eset12345" 20th Apr

Original Poster

ritchiedrama

The 1700 is what you want then. No need for the X at all, just spending … The 1700 is what you want then. No need for the X at all, just spending money for no benefit. You don't get a free CPU cooler, it performs IDENTICAL.

Just read a bit more into the 1700 / 1700X - You're on the spot with that, OC potential on both seem identical as well.

MrCollective

Just read a bit more into the 1700 / 1700X - You're on the spot with … Just read a bit more into the 1700 / 1700X - You're on the spot with that, OC potential on both seem identical as well.

Yep! 1700 is the no brainer (or 1600 if you go to R5).

Original Poster

eset12345

changing a head gasket is easy, you can learn it by watching a youtube … changing a head gasket is easy, you can learn it by watching a youtube video.

I know it is bud, Haynes manuals are great & show you pretty much everything you need.

Discs, Calipers, Breaks, Filters, not sure it shows ECU configs but you get the VCDS for about £100. Bargain!

eset12345

changing a head gasket is easy, you can learn it by watching a youtube … changing a head gasket is easy, you can learn it by watching a youtube video ans use literally a couple of spanners.why not? changing brake pads you literally unbolt 2 bolts and place in new pads, but people pay 4 times the cost of the parts for a garage to do them, same with brake rotors, sometimes they simply push on, others its a couple of bolts, yet people will pay a garage £300 to have them done.electrical issues? a £5 multimeter will find the problem for you.do a diagnostic check by literally plugging in a single plug.most jobs on cars are easy as pie, but people don't do them. you can completely strip and put a car back together with some very basic tools.

Exactly this. Inexperienced people might not want the effort of researching parts, sourcing suppliers for exact part numbers, watching endless Youtube entertainers or clickbait masquerading as technicians. Sure, for people like myself and others tech is a job or hobby, but some people it will just be too much wasted time that could have been spent doing something else productive.

I've seen what happens when you let inexperienced people buy parts on their own. They'll buy an ATX motherboard for an ITX case and a £10 PSU.

Original Poster

drasim

I've seen what happens when you let inexperienced people buy parts on … I've seen what happens when you let inexperienced people buy parts on their own. They'll buy an ATX motherboard for an ITX case and a £10 PSU.

X) I do agree with this.

At least they have part-picker and Reddit to help them these days.

drasim

I've seen what happens when you let inexperienced people buy parts on … I've seen what happens when you let inexperienced people buy parts on their own. They'll buy an ATX motherboard for an ITX case and a £10 PSU.

and stick their finger in the fan to test it's spinning ok

MrCollective

Hey,I don't really want this discussion to turn into a Pre-build vs … Hey,I don't really want this discussion to turn into a Pre-build vs Build-A-PC for Dummies thread but In short building a PC is very simple and easily learnt by watching a 10 - 15 minute youtube video. Most of us learned to build PC's at a young age (Im guessing) as there weren't many "Pre-Builds" available.The build above is extremely dull and you can find better Pre-built PCs on various other websites.

It depends when you built PC's, Its vastly easier now, than it was in the 80's back then you had to understand and align jumpers etc.. todays builder prob doesnt even know what an IRQ conflict is, let alone launch a PC through the window because of them and a Soundblaster that wants to run on the same port as a printer COM port.

But just because you may find it easy others may not... Ive heard Java is very simple to programme personally I wouldnt have a clue where to start.

also lots of people do not have time to learn these easy things..

Its like saying why go to a restaurant when you can make it at home for half the price and suit it to your own tastes.
    Edited by: "haritori" 20th Apr

eset12345

prebuilt is always going to be at a premium.

Apart from when it's not. I've always built my own PC's but the last one I bought for family I bought pre-built. It was cheaper than buying the components separately and had a warranty on the system as a whole.

moneysavingkitten

Apart from when it's not. I've always built my own PC's but the last one … Apart from when it's not. I've always built my own PC's but the last one I bought for family I bought pre-built. It was cheaper than buying the components separately and had a warranty on the system as a whole.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2012/10/double-take.gif

Hi I'm still shaking X)

deeky

Hi I'm still shaking X)

The good kind of shaking I hope? X)

Original Poster

haritori

todays builder prob doesnt even know what an IRQ conflict is, let alone … todays builder prob doesnt even know what an IRQ conflict is, let alone launch a PC through the window because of them and a Soundblaster that wants to run on the same port as a printer COM port.

Still have these issue's to date with Win7 IRQ/COM port conflicts & LED Boards!

haritori

It depends when you built PC's, Its vastly easier now, than it was in the … It depends when you built PC's, Its vastly easier now, than it was in the 80's back then you had to understand and align jumpers etc.. todays builder prob doesnt even know what an IRQ conflict is, let alone launch a PC through the window because of them and a Soundblaster that wants to run on the same port as a printer COM port. But just because you may find it easy others may not... Ive heard Java is very simple to programme personally I wouldnt have a clue where to start.also lots of people do not have time to learn these easy things..Its like saying why go to a restaurant when you can make it at home for half the price and suit it to your own tastes.

Installing MS DOS ........ ......... .........
    Please Insert Disk 2
    ..... ...... .....
    Please Insert Disk 3
    ..... ...... ......
    A:\Setup.exe

Installing Microsoft Windows 3.11 ........
    Please Insert Disk 2......

AAARRRGGGGHHHH

drasim

Installing MS DOS ........ ......... .........Please Insert Disk … Installing MS DOS ........ ......... .........Please Insert Disk 2..... ...... .....Please Insert Disk 3..... ...... ......A:\Setup.exeInstalling Microsoft Windows 3.11 ........Please Insert Disk 2......AAARRRGGGGHHHH

Subst:A\

https://i.giphy.com/owbp1CzIuv8Ig.gif

Game partnered up with Overclockers last year to start offering PC hardware.
    Edited by: "MBeeching" 20th Apr

MBeeching

Game partnered up with Overclockers lat year to start offering PC … Game partnered up with Overclockers lat year to start offering PC hardware.

Overclockers sell everything higher than everyone else too, joke of a company.

kick_u_in_the_nuts

is the only issue you have no monitor or what exactly is it your trying … is the only issue you have no monitor or what exactly is it your trying to say ?

​The issue is that anyone with a screwdriver and access to Google could build the same specification computer themself for probably £3/400 cheaper than game is advertising this one for. Clearly hoping to make money off naive customers.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains98
      2. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon33
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick88
      4. Win a pair of running shoes up to the value of £100 with UKRunChat99

See more discussions