Expired

What are the BEST 4k HDR TV's for Gaming? Is there any top 4k HDR TV's that are great on a smaller budget? Argos sell HISENSE TV's at great prices, worth the money or avoid? PLEASE HELP!

Found 26th Oct 2017
What are the BEST 4k HDR TV's for Gaming? Is there any top 4k HDR TV's that are great on a smaller budget? Argos sell HISENSE TV's at great prices, worth the money or avoid? PLEASE HELP!

If anyone can post links or make/models that would be much appreciated. If possible if I could get a good enough TV for gaming for less then great. If not then list the price and I will see if I can stretch or not.

A TV is an investment that will last a good while, want my next TV to be perfect for gaming in particular. I own a 4K TV just now but it doesnt have HDR sadly

Getting an Xbox One X on November the 7th and own a PS4 Pro so really want a TV that will be outstanding with 4K and HDR Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Forgot to add is there a minimum or optimum size for 4K?

My current 4K is 43" so ideally want to go bigger than that for gaming so I get the most from the huge improvement in image quality!
A good sized increase in dynamic range is still expensive on the display side of things. The more you spend the bigger the improvement you see. The Best HDR TVs are the Sony ZD9, Sony XE94 and the OLEDs. The LG B7/C7 is probably the most affordable top quality HDR TV and is likely to be available for around £1500 within the next month.

A more modest option would be something like the Sony XE90 which runs to around £1,100 in 49" and might hit £999.

If you're looking at the price range of the TVs argos typically sell I'd ignore HDR, leave it for the TV after this one. I wouldn't even bother to upgrade from your current TV if you have a newish one.

pauledwardking12 h, 21 m ago

Forgot to add is there a minimum or optimum size for 4K?

4K is a LOT of extra pixels to account for all the situations where the TV fills your field of vision. That can be a medium sized TV really close, or a huge TV at a modest distance.

It's those situations where it'll most help over the Full HD that is all you need for more normal sizes and viewing distances.
Lg c7
EndlessWaves42 m ago

A good sized increase in dynamic range is still expensive on the display …A good sized increase in dynamic range is still expensive on the display side of things. The more you spend the bigger the improvement you see. The Best HDR TVs are the Sony ZD9, Sony XE94 and the OLEDs. The LG B7/C7 is probably the most affordable top quality HDR TV and is likely to be available for around £1500 within the next month.A more modest option would be something like the Sony XE90 which runs to around £1,100 in 49" and might hit £999.If you're looking at the price range of the TVs argos typically sell I'd ignore HDR, leave it for the TV after this one. I wouldn't even bother to upgrade from your current TV if you have a newish one.4K is a LOT of extra pixels to account for all the situations where the TV fills your field of vision. That can be a medium sized TV really close, or a huge TV at a modest distance. It's those situations where it'll most help over the Full HD that is all you need for more normal sizes and viewing distances.

Thanks for the advice.

I will look at buying one of those models for my living room, just asking advice for a 4K TV with HDR for my games room. Does the HDR make a huge difference? My current 4K is good, Samsung 43” just wanting something with 4K and HDR. Does anyone know about the hisense TV’s that Argos sell or do they have any other recommended 4K TV’s?

Thanks for the responses so far, I will get a top of the line one for my living room soon but at the moment just want something for the games room with 4K and HDR and is a decent enough price under £1000 for the games room.
Argos only sell the lower down Hisense models, not the NU models that might be of interest for HDR (although HDTV test's review video said the colours weren't very accurate on the NU9700 and I haven't seen any review of the NU8700 yet).

pauledwardking138 m ago

Does the HDR make a huge difference?

It will do once the hardware manufacturing goes into full swing and we get TVs capable of reproducing a good part of it. Right now we're just seeing the first dribs and drabs and you have to decide for yourself whether it's worth it or not. Unless you're size limited it's just as good a choice to spend £1k on a mid-range 65" model without any meaningful HDR rather than an 49" XE90 with a bit of HDR.
EndlessWaves6 m ago

Argos only sell the lower down Hisense models, not the NU models that …Argos only sell the lower down Hisense models, not the NU models that might be of interest for HDR (although HDTV test's review video said the colours weren't very accurate on the NU9700 and I haven't seen any review of the NU8700 yet).It will do once the hardware manufacturing goes into full swing and we get TVs capable of reproducing a good part of it. Right now we're just seeing the first dribs and drabs and you have to decide for yourself whether it's worth it or not. Unless you're size limited it's just as good a choice to spend £1k on a mid-range 65" model without any meaningful HDR rather than an 49" XE90 with a bit of HDR.

Thanks again.

Some TV’s are just no use for gaming, refresh rate and input lag are important.

Argos I see on the app doesn’t have that detailed info. Stay away from Hisense then, do you recommend any of the TV’s Argos have on the app? The TV’s are also UHD but not native true 4K take it those TV’s are even more expensive lol

As a PC gamer mostly I do prefer monitors for gaming but 4K ones are pricey and smaller in size...
pauledwardking19 h, 52 m ago

Thanks again.Some TV’s are just no use for gaming, refresh rate and input l …Thanks again.Some TV’s are just no use for gaming, refresh rate and input lag are important.

HDMI 2.0 doesn't have the bandwidth to accept higher than 60fps signals at 4K so if you're looking ahead to high frame rate support in consoles you'd need to wait and buy an HDMI 2.1 TV.

Beyond that a 120hz panel is entirely dependant on the quality of the motion interpolation, it's quite possible for a 60hz TV to be better at motion than a 120hz one.

UHD and 4K are the same thing, both are 3840x2160. You may be thinking of DCI 4K (4096x2160) but that's ended up being only used in cinemas and a few video editing monitors.
I the same sort of dilemma. I spoke to a mod at AV forums who said you wouldn't really notice the difference in 4k on a 55-60 inch if you sit more than 2.5-3m away. I was also informed that the HDR really only gets on the upward curve from Sony XE9005 more XE9300. All models stated HDR at the start to entice consumers, but now there's a minimum level, and thereafter they can say ultra HD and display its logo. I was deflated by this to say the least.

XE9005 was £1250 with a free sound bar of £250, so I'm guessing they might hit £950in some places. I'm opting for a larger screen 60-65 with decent screen for football as I think this will give me more WoW factor as I think my eyes aren't that keen from all the streaming.
Pure_Evil4 h, 18 m ago

All models stated HDR at the start to entice consumers, but now there's a …All models stated HDR at the start to entice consumers, but now there's a minimum level, and thereafter they can say ultra HD and display its logo.

Not really, the first TVs to claim HDR support were some of the high end 2015 models while the Ultra HD Premium marketing program you're talking about was launched for the 2016 ranges.

Whether the Ultra HD Premium sticker should be considered a minimum level or not is debatable. The major problem with it is that it doesn't define any requirements for the local dimming system which is fundamental to HDR performance in LCDs.

The key thing about HDR is that it's a major change. If 4K TVs are equivalent to 180 horsepower engines in cars, HDR is the change from internal combustion to electric.

Much like cars a few years ago, you can pick up something like an electric sticker on the outside like a Toyota Prius for the same cost you'd pay for a normal car. If you went that route you got a couple of gimmicks like being able to drive a mile in electric mode and some slight improvements in fuel consumption but it was essentially the same a normal car.

If you wanted an actual electric car you had to put down 50% more on the smaller i-Miev or Leaf.

And like electric cars, HDR has noticable improvements in range all the way up to the most expensive models - and more to come in future.

Basically, don't feel you should rush into buying HDR support and if you do want it now then be prepared to pay early adopter prices for it.
Just the way the article was taken by me. Fingers crossed for a black weekend sale as someone mentioned new Sony's are coming out soon. I see currys offering more and more with the XE9005 / XE9305.
I can't find any reference to any new Sony models. Late October would be a very late launch.

They may have been talking about the 2018 models which typically start to launch at CES in January, but they won't be comparable prices to existing models until this time next year.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants