Groups

What are the best 4K TV's for under £700 (new) that will be future proof?

Hi guys and gals! I've made this post to get some help and knowledge off other people that are more educated when it comes to TV's than I am.
    I do not want to get conned and want to get a great deal, so what better place than HUKD

I want my next TV to be future proof and hopefully last me for about 5 years, my current TV is a mediocre Samsung that I have used for casual gaming on Xbox 360 and watching freeview/netflix etc. since around 2010 but now that the Xbox Scorpio and PS4 Neo are around the corner and 4K content is becoming more mainstream with the likes of Netflix, BT, Sky, Youtube etc. I want an upgrade from my 720p TV and it seems pointless to get a 1080p TV when 4k models have become much cheaper.

I have done a bit of research into what features/specs will make my TV future proof, but when shopping around on the likes of Curry's, Argos, John Lewis, Richer Sounds etc. It seems impossible to find out the detailed specifications of the TV's they are selling, for example: What type of HDMI ports a TV has! Are they 1.4, 2.0 or 2.0a? According to some tech websites, older 4K TV models come with older HDMI 1.4 ports which means they cannot show 4K content as well as TV's with HDMI 2.0 ports because of the slower refresh rate. Also, Some TV's say they are "Compatible with HDR" whilst others say "HDR Equipped" ( Is this a sneaky way of retailers conning us consumers into thinking they are buying a 4k TV with HDR when it is really just "compatible" but not a "feature"? , Do TV's with "proper HDR sell for alot more than £700? )

What I want my new 4K TV to have:
    *A screen size ranging from 40 Inches to 60 Inches
    *HDR for when I upgrade my gaming consoles
    *HDMI 2.0a ports
    *HDCP 2.2
    *HEVC (h.265) Decoding
    *Quality sound. My current TV sounds awful when I higher the volume to about 25 out of 100, I want my new TV to be a sufficient upgrade from this.
    *USB 3.0
    *Ethernet port/Wi-Fi ( Preferably both)

Is my ideal TV going to be much more expensive than my Budget of £700 or is this a reasonable price limit for what I am looking for?

Thanks in advance for any help you provide and sorry for the huge post :')

14 Comments

Hi, I too am looking for a new 4K TV and I can help you with your HDR query. Essentially HDR doesn't exist on TV as an industry standard!

It is actually recognised as 'Ultra HD Premium'. Brands that are claiming HDR and not this title to not guarantee to conform to any industry standard. From my research, if you want a true HDR set or Ultra HD Premium TV, you will be paying over £1000.

Good luck, I'm interested in similar spec but I feel ill need to pay more.. That looks like a very tight budget for a lot of spec
    Edited by: "arnie" 10th Aug 2016

They're still figuring out some of the standards, like Liamwood said you now have Ultra HD Premium and Dolby Vision. I would probably wait another 6 months if you're looking to future proof unfortunately.

Original Poster

Ok thanks for the replies people, appreciate it! I do think it would be a good idea to wait until around Xmas time for better deals, but I kind of also want a 4K TV for the start of the new Premier League Season haha

kester76

They're still figuring out some of the standards, like Liamwood said you … They're still figuring out some of the standards, like Liamwood said you now have Ultra HD Premium and Dolby Vision. I would probably wait another 6 months if you're looking to future proof unfortunately.

Dolby Vision is as future proof as you'll get, the standard far exceeds UHD.

OP, you're looking for a 10bit panel, pretty much impossible on your budget, depending on size. You can get refurbished 2015 panels from Panasonic and Samsung for around that budget which can display 4k HDR via external source.

Dolby Vision does seem the next big thing . Even bigger than HDR and all the big companies will be releasing content in this format which I believe requires a 12 bit display . I think it's best waiting . Reviews I have read indicate Dolby vision being superior to HDR 10

One other thing is that all modern TVs have terrible sound. My old flatish screen JVC Nicam CRT had awesome speakers but they were about 5" each and not some cheap low profile rubbish. To get good sound you need to use a lot of power and have a good sturdy frame. It's the low frequencies where modern sets fail as they don't have the size/power.

Expensive ultra slim TVs are really only any good for video and really need either a Soundbar or Home cinema to get anything out of them.

Original Poster

kester76

One other thing is that all modern TVs have terrible sound.Expensive … One other thing is that all modern TVs have terrible sound.Expensive ultra slim TVs are really only any good for video and really need either a Soundbar or Home cinema to get anything out of them.

This is the least important feature to me anyway as I will be using a good quality gaming headset for watching movies or playing games on my new tv most of the time, thanks for the info though mate

Original Poster

[/quote]Dolby Vision is as future proof as you'll get, the standard far exceeds UHD.

OP, you're looking for a 10bit panel, pretty much impossible on your budget, depending on size. You can get refurbished 2015 panels from Panasonic and Samsung for around that budget which can display 4k HDR via external source.[/quote]

I am only interested in a brand new TV , The 8bit/10 bit/12 bit spec is something I have no clue about, could you explain what that does please mate? And how much would a new 10bit panel cost me ?

I currently have a 42" Panasonic plasma and pic is still great after 8 years, I am waiting for oled TV's to come down in price by which time current 4k TV's should be cheap, suppose you can never keep up with new tech!

prynolfc

Dolby Vision is as future proof as you'll get, the standard far exceeds … Dolby Vision is as future proof as you'll get, the standard far exceeds UHD.OP, you're looking for a 10bit panel, pretty much impossible on your budget, depending on size. You can get refurbished 2015 panels from Panasonic and Samsung for around that budget which can display 4k HDR via external source.I am only interested in a brand new TV , The 8bit/10 bit/12 bit spec is something I have no clue about, could you explain what that does please mate? And how much would a new 10bit panel cost me ?

Try here

trustedreviews.com/opi…ned
    uk.rtings.com/tv/…ent

Edited by: "moob" 11th Aug 2016

Original Poster

moob

Try … Try herehttp://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/hdr-tv-high-dynamic-television-explainedhttp://uk.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/gradient

​thanks moob

Original Poster

leitchyleck

I currently have a 42" Panasonic plasma and pic is still great after 8 … I currently have a 42" Panasonic plasma and pic is still great after 8 years, I am waiting for oled TV's to come down in price by which time current 4k TV's should be cheap, suppose you can never keep up with new tech!

​True haha, I just want to buy a TV that has most of the best/current features without getting ripped out really, OLED seems like it's going to take at least 2 years before it is affordable

Banned

This is all nonsense. There is ALWAYS a next big thing. Just go and buy any 4K telly from Sony, LG, or Samsung on a hot deal (as voted) AND with good reviews. Read the reviews first, go see it. Then just buy it. Anyone who says wait is talking crap.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. random company selling fifa 18 for £29.9511
      2. Galaxy Note 8 grey import23
      3. PC Build - Budget £70011
      4. Dreams bed sale.43

See more discussions