What are the options for buying a tent online?

10 replies
Found 20th Mar 2011
I'm thinking of buying a tent but never really had to buy any outdoor kit online before. Besides the high street chains what are the other options for picking up a cheaper than high street tent? I just need a few websites to check out.

Thanks

1. Misc
  2. Tent
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Tent
10 Comments

Go to local camping stores and check out the different tents available. Take notes of the Names and prices of ones you see and like then compare prices online and purchase.

What we done when we got our tent. As you get an idea of the size you will be looking for and what style of tent you would like e.g. Tunnel Tent or Dome Tent.

Just find a product you want and use google shopping to find an etailer. Most of them have a star rating from people that have used them before. Can't go wrong.

there was a thing done about tents on the gadget show, one was really cheap and good.

Buy a vango or outwell, vango have some decent tents for not a lot of money. Please don't buy one from Asda, halfords or the like. They'll be pap.

I have a vango sungari 400 and It's great

You need to consider:
how often you'll be camping (regularly = buy a really good quality tent),
what time of year (spring, summer & autumn = buy a 4-season tent, summer only = buy a 1 or 2-season tent),
how many will be sleeping in it (3 or less = buy the next size up e.g. for 3 people buy a 4-man tent, 4 or more buy the same size as the number camping if you're OK squeezing up otherwise buy the next size up),
what kind of camping you'll be doing (lightweight=small tent, camping holidays=big tent, with a porch).
Also, don't get tied up with buying this season's tents - you can get really good deals by buying last season's tents, and most times the only difference is the tent colour.
As sancho1983 says, DO NOT buy from Millets, Halfords, Eurohike etc - the tents will not last one week. Vango & Outwell are good makes, Coleman if you can't get the other two.
(As a Scout Leader I have LOTS of camping & tenting experience!)

sancho1983

Cis_groupie, you may be of use … Cis_groupie, you may be of use here[url=http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/official-2011-camping-thread-chat-advice-pics/902565]http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/official-2011-camping-thread-chat-advice-pics/902565[/url]

So did I, until I saw that there was a caravanner in the thread :p:D
I'll make myself known.

When you've decided on a tent, check and see if Halfords have it.

I went to Wales last year and the wind was horrific! The tent blew down (I'm not surprised, almost all of the campsite had ruined tents everywhere!).

We bought it online from Halfords and managed to find out where our nearest one was to where we were in Wales. We phoned up explained what happened and they swapped it with no trouble even though it was soaked and covered in mud!

I'd highly recommend them for the service and guarantee! Also, they're all over the place which makes it easier when this happens!!

sammyhpl

When you've decided on a tent, check and see if Halfords have it. I went … When you've decided on a tent, check and see if Halfords have it. I went to Wales last year and the wind was horrific! The tent blew down (I'm not surprised, almost all of the campsite had ruined tents everywhere!). We bought it online from Halfords and managed to find out where our nearest one was to where we were in Wales. We phoned up explained what happened and they swapped it with no trouble even though it was soaked and covered in mud! I'd highly recommend them for the service and guarantee! Also, they're all over the place which makes it easier when this happens!!

Or you buy a decent tent which doesn't blow down in the first place.........

sancho1983

Or you buy a decent tent which doesn't blow down in the first … Or you buy a decent tent which doesn't blow down in the first place.........

Haha!! Yeah that would probably help too!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…4176
    2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247616
    3. Limited quantities of STRAFE® and SHADOW WARRIOR 2 for sale @ Special Reser…46
    4. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland3275

See more discussions