What are you expectancies when buying a car from a main dealer?

Edited by:"AdamCR"Found 10th Sep 2017
Would also love to hear good/bad experiences on WHY you felt that way

thank you!

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
10 Comments

I expect not to be mis-led (and possibly lied to) and treated like an idiot, but in reality it rarely happens.

You can always tell a good salesman, they know about their product and if they don't know something, admit it and go off to find the answer. I have bought 3 mini's from the main dealer and have always found them to be knowledgeable and professional.

The opposite experience is our local 'Trade Centre'. 1000's of cars and a group of sales guys who pounce on you like vultures on carrion. Ok, they are cheaper, but I'd never trust a word that was spoken.

Original Poster

airbus3308 m ago

You can always tell a good salesman, they know about their product and if …You can always tell a good salesman, they know about their product and if they don't know something, admit it and go off to find the answer. I have bought 3 mini's from the main dealer and have always found them to be knowledgeable and professional.The opposite experience is our local 'Trade Centre'. 1000's of cars and a group of sales guys who pounce on you like vultures on carrion. Ok, they are cheaper, but I'd never trust a word that was spoken.

Great answer! thank you

Original Poster

Dyslexic_Dog17 m ago

I expect not to be mis-led (and possibly lied to) and treated like an …I expect not to be mis-led (and possibly lied to) and treated like an idiot, but in reality it rarely happens.

I agree! thank you

A salesman to actually show and explain the features of the car to me rather than continually asking what colour on the colour chart would I prefer and what old stock they want to shift

I've bought from a main dealer before, but recently visited one and it put me off buying from them again. The first experience was great, always owned older cars but decided on something newer, <2 yrs old. The salesman knew the car inside and out, wasn't pushy, made it clear that I could have my own people inspect, came with a good warranty etc.

The second one was the opposite, a typical smarmy salesman. Always looking at trying to upsell. I made it clear that I wouldn't be buying that day, I was interested to see what the range looked like, interior comfort, feel of the car, handling on the road etc. Went for a test drive and he constantly banged on about gap insurance, diamond paint protection, higher spec cars, higher performing models.....

Got back to the salesroom and he gave me a 'bargain' price that was almost 40% higher than the ticket price. He said all the extras he added were completely worthwhile and recommended, and you'd be a fool not to have them!!! Obviously they are recommended because you get a nice fat commission from them! When it became obvious I wasn't interested he tried to sell me a different model, not suitable for my requirements and more than twice the original budget I gave him. I walked away and bought the same car/model from elsewhere, with better mileage, better warranty, better customer service for more than £2000 less.

The moral of this rather overlong and tedious tale is that there are some good dealers out there and there are some rogue dealers. Always do your homework, have a price in mind, don't buy what you don't need and always remember you can walk away. As soon as I hear the high pressure spiel, that's enough for me. It's the same reason I don't buy from door to door salesmen or cold callers - if I want something you'll know about it because I'll come to you, I don't need you to tell me what I need or what a great deal it is.

Original Poster

badger26091 h, 26 m ago

I've bought from a main dealer before, but recently visited one and it put …I've bought from a main dealer before, but recently visited one and it put me off buying from them again. The first experience was great, always owned older cars but decided on something newer, <2 yrs old. The salesman knew the car inside and out, wasn't pushy, made it clear that I could have my own people inspect, came with a good warranty etc.The second one was the opposite, a typical smarmy salesman. Always looking at trying to upsell. I made it clear that I wouldn't be buying that day, I was interested to see what the range looked like, interior comfort, feel of the car, handling on the road etc. Went for a test drive and he constantly banged on about gap insurance, diamond paint protection, higher spec cars, higher performing models.....Got back to the salesroom and he gave me a 'bargain' price that was almost 40% higher than the ticket price. He said all the extras he added were completely worthwhile and recommended, and you'd be a fool not to have them!!! Obviously they are recommended because you get a nice fat commission from them! When it became obvious I wasn't interested he tried to sell me a different model, not suitable for my requirements and more than twice the original budget I gave him. I walked away and bought the same car/model from elsewhere, with better mileage, better warranty, better customer service for more than £2000 less.The moral of this rather overlong and tedious tale is that there are some good dealers out there and there are some rogue dealers. Always do your homework, have a price in mind, don't buy what you don't need and always remember you can walk away. As soon as I hear the high pressure spiel, that's enough for me. It's the same reason I don't buy from door to door salesmen or cold callers - if I want something you'll know about it because I'll come to you, I don't need you to tell me what I need or what a great deal it is.

Thank you for your response - Really appreciate it. Hope you're happy with the car you have

Watch last weeks dispatches on ch4 about car finance. Its very intrsting and what the dealers where saying.

I have 2, one bad and one good. The gap between them is about 30 years that how bad the first one was, I said I would never buy a new car again because it.

First was a VW Golf CL - £16,000 when for golf for service and quality got neither. Salesman hardly helped when choosing the features and when we picked it up was even less helpfull as we were made to wait over an hour. When we finally got the car it was chunk. First sign of rain the floor was flooded, we took it back and to leave it almost a week when the found the grommits that had been left out the body. 2 months later the accelerator cable kept coming off and 2 more months we went though our first of 3 clutches in the 18 months we had the car. During that time VW were not interested in our complaints about the car. Ended up giving it back to the finance company having already paid 50% off.

A year ago we decided to exchange our diesal for a petrol car plus have a bit more room for out camping equipment. After many days of research narrowed it down to 3 or 4 cars one of which was a Honda Civic Tourer but to get anything near decent spec meant £19k and we didn't want to pay that at first. Went to Honda Derby after seeing an advert for one at 19k with 19 miles on the clock, we had timed it to be a few days before the plate change. Honda were great, we managed to get one down from top spec, 5 years servicing, diamond treatment inside and out plus a proper spare where. Plus they gave us £1,000 more for our old car then we had been offered. When we took it for it's first free service I would "are well this'll be a cheap in and out job for them" but no such thing, the did a proper service, even updated the dash computer software and cleaned inside and out. In first 12 months we've done 16k miles, everyone who see's them love the magic seats and the space inside.

Somewhere that respects its customer. No conflicts in information and above all transparency. I recently visited a main dealer, told me before I set out on an hours drive that the car was perfect, needless to say...it wasn't.

Perhaps with the evolution of electric cars and the way in which a lot of people buy cars, manufacturers will scrub dealers out and the manufacturers will own the cars and lease them or short term rent.
Post a comment
@
    Text