What are your best remedies for......

Found 11th Nov 2008

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
28 Comments

Original Poster

HEAD LICE - aaargh just noticed a few in my daughter's hair. It's been years since she had them.
Don't really want to buy any expensive stuff......
any suggestions????

Banned

comb hair every morning and every night with a tooth comb, you shouldnt need to worry then, if you can help it you really should use treatment to get rid, this is why the head lice keep becoming immune to the stuff

Put a drop of tea tree oil in with shampoo every time you wash hair and comb through with a nit comb.

Banned

the pharmacy should sort it for free....?

hows it going sheriff!? long time!

Get the nitty gritty headlice comb from your doctor. its the best thing, wet comb with conditioner.

Number 1 all over.

See the nit nurse at school they will give you a free shampoo

Tea tree oil and won't b*gger up your childs scalp as most over the counter stuff do. A few drops diluted in oil, coat the hair and scalp, leave on for a bit, then comb through and shower out

lots of conditioner on hair - comb through with the boogie comb

boogie comb again when she comes home from school -

repeat for 10 days - length of life cycle

should get rid of

every 2 days for a few weeks after that

tea tree wont kill the nits / eggs but deters from further

I hear that tea tree oil is the best.

Original Poster

thesaint;3437712

Number 1 all over.

Lol.Don't tempt me!
The nit comb and conditioner takes forever...my daughter has that type of hair that tangles really easily!!!
Does the tea tree oil work, I haven't tried it but its quite cheap to buy:)

Original Poster

imranmaz;3437696

the pharmacy should sort it for free....?hows it going sheriff!? long … the pharmacy should sort it for free....?hows it going sheriff!? long time!

Hey your back I see!
I am good, how was your travels?

I use tea tree for loads of stuff:

Tea tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) belongs to the same family of plants as the eucalyptus tree. It contains a substance known as terpinen-4-ol, which has been identified as the healing property of the plant. Research shows it has a high solvent action that attacks mature lice and dislodges them from the scalp. The result is a high mortality rate after the first application. The Australian standard (a measure of quality) requires a terpinen-4-ol of more than 30 per cent, so check labels carefully.

Valued for its astonishing antiseptic and anti-fungal properties, tea tree oil is a powerful medicine that is gentle to your child’s scalp and skin. It has a complex chemical composition that makes it difficult for organisms (like head lice) to develop a resistance to it. It’s also a highly concentrated essential oil, so use only a little. It’s an essential ingredient in your home medicine chest.

Banned

its an oil so it help to rid them, but any oil will work, i do my lads haor with a nit comb morning and night, so should he ever pick one up its never in the haor long enough to lay

Mother Nature herbal remedy. This is a teatree/eucalyptus combination - the little burgers won't cling to hair that is soaked/shampooed in this. Some big pharmacies like Tesco's stock it, or you could try Holland and Barratt or any local herbal remedy store - the Mother Nature combo has a treatment that you can spray on to keep the treatment on-going..
Good luck. Hate the little critters!:x

Original Poster

Thaks for the info guys, will be out buyin the tree oil and nit comb tomorrow.
I am itchin like mad at the thought of the little blighters now!

choc1969;3437800

I use tea tree for loads of stuff:Tea tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) … I use tea tree for loads of stuff:Tea tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) belongs to the same family of plants as the eucalyptus tree. It contains a substance known as terpinen-4-ol, which has been identified as the healing property of the plant. Research shows it has a high solvent action that attacks mature lice and dislodges them from the scalp. The result is a high mortality rate after the first application. The Australian standard (a measure of quality) requires a terpinen-4-ol of more than 30 per cent, so check labels carefully. Valued for its astonishing antiseptic and anti-fungal properties, tea tree oil is a powerful medicine that is gentle to your child’s scalp and skin. It has a complex chemical composition that makes it difficult for organisms (like head lice) to develop a resistance to it. It’s also a highly concentrated essential oil, so use only a little. It’s an essential ingredient in your home medicine chest.

Wow, you are informed! I've got a plantation of eucalyptus in my garden - should I harvest it? It smells absolutely gorgeous when you cut the stems or touch the leaves.. I could mash the leaves and harvest the oil from it couldn't I? I've thought about it but sounds quite time consuming.

franbo60;3437867

Wow, you are informed! I've got a plantation of eucalyptus in my garden - … Wow, you are informed! I've got a plantation of eucalyptus in my garden - should I harvest it? It smells absolutely gorgeous when you cut the stems or touch the leaves.. I could mash the leaves and harvest the oil from it couldn't I? I've thought about it but sounds quite time consuming.

Aloe Vera plants would be better :whistling:, use this for bites, stings, sunburn etc

ChipSticks;3437705

Get the nitty gritty headlice comb from your doctor. its the best thing, … Get the nitty gritty headlice comb from your doctor. its the best thing, wet comb with conditioner.

Yup, can't beat it :thumbsup:. I bought ours from Boots about 2 years ago for £9.99 (didn't know you could get them from the doctor). Everytime the youngest two have come home with them, I just wash/tea-tree condition the hair as you would usually and then comb through with it untill no more lice/eggs appear in the comb (takes around 5 mins - it's amazing what the comb pulls out!), For the 1st week repeat this every other day. For the 2nd week and 3rd - if you need to, just comb through in the same way 2/3 times a week. Every single time that the children have had them and I've used this method they have gone completely (usually within 10 - 14 days) without the need for any chemicals - I never found that they worked anyway, good luck

choc1969;3437899

Aloe Vera plants would be better :whistling:, use this for bites, stings, … Aloe Vera plants would be better :whistling:, use this for bites, stings, sunburn etc

Yeah, I could put a few in, but they'll take a couple of years to get going. Got tons of eucalyptus in the meantime!:whistling:

:xI do find that a # 1 does the trick with the kids hair! (Yeah, I got boys so they look like hoodlums for a week or so!!) On the other hand, if I get them - you don't want to know what I gotta do.....

franbo60;3438042

Yeah, I could put a few in, but they'll take a couple of years to get … Yeah, I could put a few in, but they'll take a couple of years to get going. Got tons of eucalyptus in the meantime!:whistling:

Meant to ward off colds and a good decongestant :thumbsup:, how are your lungs :?

choc1969;3438121

Meant to ward off colds and a good decongestant :thumbsup:, how are your … Meant to ward off colds and a good decongestant :thumbsup:, how are your lungs :?

Pretty much Ok. Where I left them I hope!
Seriously - gave up smoking 8 years ago, so I don't suffer from breathing problems, but I do get Sinusitis very badly occasionally - like don't talk to me for a few days!
:whistling:

franbo60;3438155

Pretty much Ok. Where I left them I hope! Seriously - gave up smoking 8 … Pretty much Ok. Where I left them I hope! Seriously - gave up smoking 8 years ago, so I don't suffer from breathing problems, but I do get Sinusitis very badly occasionally - like don't talk to me for a few days!:whistling:

oh dear, had it a couple of times and it's so painful :-(

have you tried crushing some eucalyptus and pouring boiling water, then inhaling ?

congrats on giving up smoking :thumbsup:

WonderWoman;3438008

Yup, can't beat it :thumbsup:. I bought ours from Boots about 2 years ago … Yup, can't beat it :thumbsup:. I bought ours from Boots about 2 years ago for £9.99 (didn't know you could get them from the doctor). Everytime the youngest two have come home with them, I just wash/tea-tree condition the hair as you would usually and then comb through with it untill no more lice/eggs appear in the comb (takes around 5 mins - it's amazing what the comb pulls out!), For the 1st week repeat this every other day. For the 2nd week and 3rd - if you need to, just comb through in the same way 2/3 times a week. Every single time that the children have had them and I've used this method they have gone completely (usually within 10 - 14 days) without the need for any chemicals - I never found that they worked anyway, good luck

yes same here, I tried the chemical stuff with my daughter and none of them ever worked, all rubbish. The nitty gritty comb is by FAR the best nit comb out there as it pulls out the eggs too, like you say, just condition hair and run the comb through every couple of days for about 10-14 days. sorted. every time.

Edit: just a note about tea tree oil, it wont kill the nits, but they don't like the smell, so its best used as a deterrent after you cleared the hair. I use to put a few drops into a spray bottle with water and spray my daughters hair before school

insects dont like the smells of tea tree, eucalyptus or lemons (strong citrus). So after the conditioner nit comb just pop a couple of drops on her brush and style her hair as normal. It wont get rid of them but it does deter others from arriving. The conditioner and nit comb is really the only way (other than chemicals) to get rid.

ChipSticks;3440250

yes same here, I tried the chemical stuff with my daughter and none of … yes same here, I tried the chemical stuff with my daughter and none of them ever worked, all rubbish. The nitty gritty comb is by FAR the best nit comb out there as it pulls out the eggs too, like you say, just condition hair and run the comb through every couple of days for about 10-14 days. sorted. every time.Edit: just a note about tea tree oil, it wont kill the nits, but they don't like the smell, so its best used as a deterrent after you cleared the hair. I use to put a few drops into a spray bottle with water and spray my daughters hair before school

I know that it doesn't kill them etc...I just use the conditioner when they have them as I like to think that 'every little helps' in getting rid/putting off the little blighters. Thats a great idea r.e putting a few drops of the oil in a spray bottle with water - i'll give that a try next time :thumbsup: rep on it's way

WonderWoman;3441951

I know that it doesn't kill them etc...I just use the conditioner when … I know that it doesn't kill them etc...I just use the conditioner when they have them as I like to think that 'every little helps' in getting rid/putting off the little blighters. Thats a great idea r.e putting a few drops of the oil in a spray bottle with water - i'll give that a try next time :thumbsup: rep on it's way

I think tea tree oil to nits, is like smelly socks to us humans, yak. lol
Post a comment
@
    Text