What are your experiences with Gearbest?

17 replies
Found 10th Jun
What are your experiences when ordering from Gearbest? Have you ever had any problems? What about taxes, customs and delivery times? I would like to order something slightly above £20, will I be charged extra on arrival? I am considering ordering Xiaomi Mi Band 2. I would appreciate your feedback and opinions. Many thanks!

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
17 Comments

The rule when ordering from abroad is to always assume you'll pay customs charges if the item qualifies. That way you're never disappointed.

Ditto, for customer service. Expect them to do what their terms and conditions say they will, don't expect UK standards.

If it still looks like the best option at £35 with minimal after-sales service then go for it, otherwise it's not worth the potential hassle. If you get it cheaper then great, but it's best to make your buying decisions based on the worst case.

Very good but only with items under £20 - light bulbs!!
Been fast and no worries.

Good experience with items over £100 - no extra charges but have always used the cheapest delivery service. Warranty is a problem though because sending items back is likely to be very expensive and possibly difficult to get proof of delivery.

i would be willing to bet that if you search the web / ebay for the item you will not only find it... but find it cheaper and not have to wait a month for delivery.
i used to always use Gearbest until it became Dearbest.
years ago it was dirt cheap but its so expensive now that i only use it to browse new items and then use the name and model number to find it in the uk.

doogan9

Good experience with items over £100 - no extra charges but have always … Good experience with items over £100 - no extra charges but have always used the cheapest delivery service. Warranty is a problem though because sending items back is likely to be very expensive and possibly difficult to get proof of delivery.

​+1
ordered loads, phones, tablets, android boxes.
always chose cheapest delivery and never paid customs.
had one problem and their store rep Alice (who is on hukd) sorted it.
Edited by: "shadey12" 10th Jun

never really had an issue ordered many things from the website from keyrings, headphones, Android boxes as well. would recommend adding the shipping insurance just in case which is only an extra dollar or 2. So far no extra custom payments as cheapest method of delivery is chosen.

Used these guys a few times. Only had one bad experience with them on a Umi Mobile Phone I ordered. Got a refund eventually. Just received a order for some GGMM Aluada Earphones I placed two weeks ago, tested the earphones last night and was really impressed, like others have said on here, great for low value items - £20 to £30 at most....

I've ordered about 15 times with a max value around 30-40 quid, only 1 issue where the order was lost in the post. When I read people ordering phones with no tracking to avoid customs, personally I think they are nuts.

shadey12

+1ordered loads, phones, tablets, android boxes.always chose cheapest … +1ordered loads, phones, tablets, android boxes.always chose cheapest delivery and never paid customs.had one problem and their store rep Alice (who is on bike) sites it.

how is her mode of transport relevant?

dataload

how is her mode of transport relevant?

​got to love autocorrect, edited thanks.

Original Poster

FTCom

Used these guys a few times. Only had one bad experience with them on a … Used these guys a few times. Only had one bad experience with them on a Umi Mobile Phone I ordered. Got a refund eventually. Just received a order for some GGMM Aluada Earphones I placed two weeks ago, tested the earphones last night and was really impressed, like others have said on here, great for low value items - £20 to £30 at most....

If the item I am interested in costs $22 ( without shipping), will I have to pay customs? How much? How do you pay customs? Does it also depend on what you order? e.g. electrical stuff vs clothes?

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

The rule when ordering from abroad is to always assume you'll pay customs … The rule when ordering from abroad is to always assume you'll pay customs charges if the item qualifies. That way you're never disappointed.Ditto, for customer service. Expect them to do what their terms and conditions say they will, don't expect UK standards.If it still looks like the best option at £35 with minimal after-sales service then go for it, otherwise it's not worth the potential hassle. If you get it cheaper then great, but it's best to make your buying decisions based on the worst case.

If the item I am interested in costs $22 ( without shipping), will I have to pay customs? How much? How do you pay customs? Does it also depend on what you order? e.g. electrical stuff vs clothes?

miimiii

If the item I am interested in costs $22 ( without shipping), will I have … If the item I am interested in costs $22 ( without shipping), will I have to pay customs? How much? How do you pay customs? Does it also depend on what you order? e.g. electrical stuff vs clothes?

For cheaper items the main costs are VAT (20% as normal) and the customs handling charge of the delivery service (typically £10-15). Excise Duty isn't collected until it exceeds a certain amount which it generally only does for items costing a couple of hundred quid or more.

Excise duty varies by item type (generally 2-3%) but VAT only has a few exceptions (Books are VAT-free for example).

The VAT limit is £15 for purchases which currently works out to 18-19USD. That's the total cost including all services (delivery, insurance etc.).

You should pay VAT on everything over that price but a lot do seem to slip through. The delivery company sends you a message and then you pay them the amount due and their handling fee. Depending on the company this may be before the item clears customs or after they've delivered it to you.

If there's nothing to pay they'll deliver it as normal.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

For cheaper items the main costs are VAT (20% as normal) and the customs … For cheaper items the main costs are VAT (20% as normal) and the customs handling charge of the delivery service (typically £10-15). Excise Duty isn't collected until it exceeds a certain amount which it generally only does for items costing a couple of hundred quid or more.Excise duty varies by item type (generally 2-3%) but VAT only has a few exceptions (Books are VAT-free for example).The VAT limit is £15 for purchases which currently works out to 18-19USD. That's the total cost including all services (delivery, insurance etc.). You should pay VAT on everything over that price but a lot do seem to slip through. The delivery company sends you a message and then you pay them the amount due and their handling fee. Depending on the company this may be before the item clears customs or after they've delivered it to you.If there's nothing to pay they'll deliver it as normal.

Thanks. That's a detailed answer!
In simple terms, if something is worth $22 (cost of the item), how much in total would I be likely to pay in total ( including the cheapest shipping, VAT, customs etc.?)

miimiii

Thanks. That's a detailed answer!In simple terms, if something is worth … Thanks. That's a detailed answer!In simple terms, if something is worth $22 (cost of the item), how much in total would I be likely to pay in total ( including the cheapest shipping, VAT, customs etc.?)

If that's US dollars then at current exchange rates that's about £17.50. Shipping costs obviously depend on the item but if we assume another £2.50 for shipping/insurance/tracking then that's £20. 20% VAT is £4 and handling charge is £10-15 depending on carrier.

The final price could be as high as £35-40.

my order never arrived. they said I needed to take it up with the shipping company. some Chinese company and I didn't have any details. lucky the order was a £3 mouse and got it back though paypal dispute. I wouldn't order anything worth a lot from them.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

If that's US dollars then at current exchange rates that's about £17.50. … If that's US dollars then at current exchange rates that's about £17.50. Shipping costs obviously depend on the item but if we assume another £2.50 for shipping/insurance/tracking then that's £20. 20% VAT is £4 and handling charge is £10-15 depending on carrier.The final price could be as high as £35-40.

Oh, I see... Thanks! Definitly not worth it.. Too much hussle and uncertainty...
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Lol doll big surprise.11
    2. Help! In need of a PS4 Headset35
    3. good place to buy stocks22
    4. Android pay set up57

See more discussions