What are your guys home photo/video backup strategies?

Posted 6th Dec 2019Edited by:"Fn6Dragon"
Now thanks to Black Friday and Cyber Monday, we have a lot of very nice SSD / HDD deals floating around on HUKD.

So for other people benefit and myself, I'd like to ask you guys how you manage backing up your ever growing photos and videos.

• How do you organize Photos/Video? (naming convention)
  • What software do you use?
  • Any tips and tricks to do schedule transfer / Regular Download etc?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
At the moment all photos we take on phones are automatically backed up to google photos.

Older photos and videos taken with camera/video camera are stored on a Hp n36l where they're backed up should 2 of the 4 drives fail, we won't Lose data.

Has anyone has found a way to automatically back up phones photos to a server or desktop running windows in the home?.
Edited by: "ScubaDudes" 6th Dec 2019
mines a mess and need to sort myself also lol

i currently have amazon photos doing my backups which is i think is around 20 quid a year (android phone) and the wife uses ICloud for hers.

i do have a Qnap with Plex but have never got round to checking that out as a backup solution i do have Plex pass... i do like the convenience of cloud backups.
I backup the same content on multiple drives. I don't use or trust online storage, my file sizes are too large anyway.
I name them something like: "<Place Name or Subject> (April 2024)". And use Windows Explorer to find them.
Resilio Sync on our mobiles to sync photos and videos to a home 'server' (always on desktop).

PhotoMove 2.5 Pro which runs once a month, searches the Resilio folder for new photos and moves the to folders based on year then month.

Subscription to Backblaze to continuously backup the entire server to their servers.

As a secondary backup, Google Photos running on the same server, backing up all photos and videos (at their reduced 'unlimited' storage rates).

Probably slightly over the top.
Derek_Fortescue_Shatwell06/12/2019 11:33

I backup the same content on multiple drives. I don't use or trust online …I backup the same content on multiple drives. I don't use or trust online storage, my file sizes are too large anyway.I name them something like: "<Place Name or Subject> (April 2024)". And use Windows Explorer to find them.

Can I borrow your time travel device, please?
What size do you back up to google. Default is not full size.

backup is not the issue. Recovering or bulk downloading is the service you will need.
Ha, this is something I've set myself to resolve over the Christmas holiday period. I desperately need a photo tagging system as well.

Goggle photos facial recognition is really good but that just provides a breakdown of people and where assuming the exit data is tagged
rmjowen06/12/2019 11:46

Resilio Sync on our mobiles to sync photos and videos to a home 'server' …Resilio Sync on our mobiles to sync photos and videos to a home 'server' (always on desktop). PhotoMove 2.5 Pro which runs once a month, searches the Resilio folder for new photos and moves the to folders based on year then month.Subscription to Backblaze to continuously backup the entire server to their servers.As a secondary backup, Google Photos running on the same server, backing up all photos and videos (at their reduced 'unlimited' storage rates).Probably slightly over the top.

How much did you pay for resilio sync for desktop/server?.
ScubaDudes06/12/2019 13:16

How much did you pay for resilio sync for desktop/server?.

I got the family pro version when it was 50% off, ended up about £40. There is a free version which you could see if it meets your needs.

I also use it to back up other family laptops to the server, so needed more than the free version.
OK thanks, will wait until its on offer then. Currently trying photosync for about a week that should do the same BUT it adds photos to the server folder and deletes them later

Edit, photosync is working (user error)
Edited by: "ScubaDudes" 6th Dec 2019
fanpages06/12/2019 11:58

Can I borrow your time travel device, please?

Yes, as long as you bring it yesterday, the 21st October 2816 @ 19:00
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants