What are your Top 5 book recommendations?

Posted 16th Feb
As per title, I’m curious to know what are your top 5 book recommendations?

Can be either fiction or non fiction, or separate list for both. I’m looking to start reading more in 2020 and will be interesting to see the recommendations and background from HUKD community.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
Not a top 5 so much, but I'd recommend

His Dark Materials trilogy (Phillip Pullman)
Tales of the Otori series (Lian Hearn)
Wool trilogy (Hugh Howey)

All fab books and my favourite series.
Depends on what genre you like. Personally I cannot get into sci-fi or fantasy. Tame horror or crime is my thing.
I have read a lot of John Grisham & Stephen King as a result.
Peter and Jane series.
There are so many, top 5 isn't enough really. I have finished 18 books so far in the new year, bit of a Vince Flynn / Kyle Mills binge (late last year was a Lee Child binge). What has helped me is starting to track my reading on Goodreads which then suggests similar books and also shows other categories of interest.

But having said that, I don't mind going back to repeating the following authors / books -

# James Clavell's Asian Saga - personally prefer the Shogun, Tai Pan, Gai Jin and Noble House; not a fan of King Rat or Whirlwind
# Mahabharata - a few thousand year old epic from India. There are many good versions available. What I like about this is that it covers every aspect of human emotion and the story can be easily be translated / viewed from a modern perspective
# Mark Greaney - he took over developing Tom Clancy's characters further and also has his own well written Gray Man series
# John Grisham's earlier books - recent ones have been lacking a bit
# Lee Child - quick read, difficult to get bored
# Clive Cussler - the Dirk Pitt Senior series
Catch 22 Joseph Heller
Time Travelers wife Audrey neffenegger
Good as gold Joseph Heller
Notes from a small island Bill Bryson
A short history of nearly everything bill bryson
bozo00716/02/2020 19:27

There are so many, top 5 isn't enough really. I have finished 18 books so …There are so many, top 5 isn't enough really. I have finished 18 books so far in the new year, bit of a Vince Flynn / Kyle Mills binge (late last year was a Lee Child binge). What has helped me is starting to track my reading on Goodreads which then suggests similar books and also shows other categories of interest.But having said that, I don't mind going back to repeating the following authors / books -# James Clavell's Asian Saga - personally prefer the Shogun, Tai Pan, Gai Jin and Noble House; not a fan of King Rat or Whirlwind# Mahabharata - a few thousand year old epic from India. There are many good versions available. What I like about this is that it covers every aspect of human emotion and the story can be easily be translated / viewed from a modern perspective# Mark Greaney - he took over developing Tom Clancy's characters further and also has his own well written Gray Man series# John Grisham's earlier books - recent ones have been lacking a bit# Lee Child - quick read, difficult to get bored# Clive Cussler - the Dirk Pitt Senior series

18 books already : (shock)!

Thanks for the recommendations :
In regards to: Mahabharata - Which book edition/translation would you recommend?
MarioMan16/02/2020 20:08

18 books already : (shock)!Thanks for the recommendations : In regards …18 books already : (shock)!Thanks for the recommendations : In regards to: Mahabharata - Which book edition/translation would you recommend?

Not having a TV forces reading .

My recommendation is to read the one by Bibek Debroy.
The Stand
Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy
Watchmen
Selfish Gene
The god delusion
Dune
Lord of the rings (all of them)
Ready player one (awesome book dire film)
The black book - James Patison
Heads you win - Jeffrey Archer.
The girl in the blue coat - Monica Huese
The last dog on Earth - Adrian J walker
More than This - Patrick Ness.

Some of the better books that I read in 2019, in no particular order, and they're very different types of books. I listen to audiobooks via the library service, it has gotten me back into books in a massive way, downside is that I don't always have the best selection.
I 'read' The Holocaust: A New History on Audible. Nice light listening to get you off to sleep

Fantastic read though if you aren't squeamish.
The Adrian Mole series of books are a classic for someone starting out at whatever age.
Pretty much the entire Discworld series; I'm a particular fan of the Death and The Watch sub-series.

discworldemporium.com/con…der
Lots of my favorites already listed above, but 5 more flavours

High Fidelity Nick Hornby
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy John Le Carre
Good Omens Neil Gaimen/Terry Prachett
One Day David Nicholls
Just a Little Run Around the World Rosie Swale Pope
No bible or Shakespeare
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions