Groups

What Bike Can My Son Ride At 16?

Hi, my son is turning 16 and saving up for a bike to take a cbt on. He isn't a fan of mopeds but he said if that's all he can have he'll have it. He is wondering when he is 16, can he ride these 50CC bikes displayed in the link below?

dropbox.com/s/c…l=0

Thanks.

25 Comments

We are now looking for my son he don't want a scooter either there are a couple of bikes around 50cc rieju Derby sendi and Aprilla I think u have to put a restrictor on then as there not suppose to ride faster than 28 which is dangerous I think but Ye x

Limited to 50cc and sub 30mph which means anything legal with gears would be a pain.
    If you don't live in a town or city then I would bother with any legal 50cc as the limit is dangerous on any road quicker then 30.

There are sporty looking mopeds, but they will have to have l plate and are still limited to 30mph

hello sorry for jumping in the thread but I took my motorbike test many many years ago when no restriction and one part
    failed and never tried again as i bought a car
    what have you to do to pass now and what are the limits (in 50 age bracket)

Think u just do a cbt at 16 I'm told u can't really fail this u can only ride a 50 cc think then 17 u can get a 125 and at 18 another cbt but proper motorbike test I'm told is pretty hard

madmax666

hello sorry for jumping in the thread but I took my motorbike test many … hello sorry for jumping in the thread but I took my motorbike test many many years ago when no restriction and one partfailed and never tried again as i bought a carwhat have you to do to pass now and what are the limits (in 50 age bracket)

Your text here

loose women? Surprised it's not been said already.

Paddy_o_furniture

loose women? Surprised it's not been said already.

50cc aprilla once hes passed cbt get it derestricted. If tuned they can hit 70mph or so im told but maybe a bit too quick for his age

madmax666

hello sorry for jumping in the thread but I took my motorbike test many … hello sorry for jumping in the thread but I took my motorbike test many many years ago when no restriction and one partfailed and never tried again as i bought a carwhat have you to do to pass now and what are the limits (in 50 age bracket)

If you passed your driving test before 2001 (I think that's correct) you can ride any 50cc without the need for CBT
    If you then want to ride upto 125cc then you need to take a CBT (I'm just doing mine over 2 separate days for personal reasons but generally it's all done on one day) which consists of
    Talking about clothing (advice)
    Eye test (reading number plate)
    Maintenance of bike
    Highway code (with extra about lane selection and where and when to manoeuvre (I was a little surprised as it seems motorbikes should in most instances ride as if they are a car (taking primary much more than cyclists)
    Balance and control )(riding at walking pace, figure of 8 etc) trick is to keep revs high but use rear brake to control speed)
    Emergency stop under control (this got me also as apparently all bikers should use front brake as the main brake whereas I'm a former keen cyclist and using front brake would almost throw you over the handlebars)
    Then a 2 hour ride (which is the only part I need to compete)

IMHO and remember I have ridden one moped about 20 years ago for about 6months it's all about road/ride safety (using your noggin) and ensuring the rider thinks and can control the bike.

I'm probably going to create my own thread soon - asking for advice on 125cc scooters because it seems there's a lot of very poor advice direct from sellers and with the number of sellers in close proximity actually getting a ne or decent bike can be frustrating.

HTH

Original Poster

He's already onto his dirtbikes offroading. He doesn't mind anything geared or not as he already knows how to ride

Personally I'd make him stick with a 50cc scooter for 12 months and save for a nice 125 when he gets to 17. Gives him 12 months experience on the road on something a lot less likely to hurt him that way. I know he knows bikes but he doesn't know roads. We all know how likely it is for a new car driver to crash in the first 12 months. You don't want your son on a 50cc Aprilla doing 70mph when hes most likely to have an accident.

I personally think the geared bikes are safer than the peds

50cc twist and go scooters can be tuned to go pretty quick just as easily as a geared 50cc can be, so the advice to keep to a twist and go doesn't really ring true with me.

For him to be able to ride at 16 the bike needs to be classified as a moped (not all 50cc bikes are mopeds, you can get 50cc motorcycles) - geared or auto doesn't matter, it's the classification.

Personally, I think the 30mph limit is dangerous, riding along at 30mph wobbling in the gutter while traffic goes by at 60mph isn't fun for anyone involved.

If your son gets a decent geared 50cc and keeps it in nice condition I doubt it would lose much in value, I'm guessing he already knows how to look after bikes if he has dirtbikes which will help retain the bikes value.

sammyjc71

i think so

sammyjc71

I think in general that's definitely true and if he already drove a car i'd be recommending a geared bike but not in the case of somebody new to roads. There is a lot to learn for somebody who has only ever been a passenger, people still don't know the rules after 25 hours of learning in a car and a much more prone to accidents. The CBT is VERY basic when it comes to rules of the road, there's no detailed explanation of junctions, roundabouts ect. The ideal way would be sort the car out first while he gets road experience then get a bike but I understand his eagerness being in to his dirt bikes.
    Regardless I think andymagic is right and the vehicle has to be classified as a 'moped' so a motorcycle is out of the question for another year.

Deaa

Regardless I think andymagic is right and the vehicle has to be … Regardless I think andymagic is right and the vehicle has to be classified as a 'moped' so a motorcycle is out of the question for another year.

Just to clarify, most geared 50's are classed as mopeds.

Deaa

I think in general that's definitely true and if he already drove a car … I think in general that's definitely true and if he already drove a car i'd be recommending a geared bike but not in the case of somebody new to roads. There is a lot to learn for somebody who has only ever been a passenger, people still don't know the rules after 25 hours of learning in a car and a much more prone to accidents. The CBT is VERY basic when it comes to rules of the road, there's no detailed explanation of junctions, roundabouts ect. The ideal way would be sort the car out first while he gets road experience then get a bike but I understand his eagerness being in to his dirt bikes.Regardless I think andymagic is right and the vehicle has to be classified as a 'moped' so a motorcycle is out of the question for another year.

If they are restricted to 30 there classed as a moped

andymagic

50cc twist and go scooters can be tuned to go pretty quick just as easily … 50cc twist and go scooters can be tuned to go pretty quick just as easily as a geared 50cc can be, so the advice to keep to a twist and go doesn't really ring true with me.For him to be able to ride at 16 the bike needs to be classified as a moped (not all 50cc bikes are mopeds, you can get 50cc motorcycles) - geared or auto doesn't matter, it's the classification.Personally, I think the 30mph limit is dangerous, riding along at 30mph wobbling in the gutter while traffic goes by at 60mph isn't fun for anyone involved.If your son gets a decent geared 50cc and keeps it in nice condition I doubt it would lose much in value, I'm guessing he already knows how to look after bikes if he has dirtbikes which will help retain the bikes value.

If he's wobbling whilst riding and/or if he's riding in the gutter the he needs training.

Yes I undertand the dangers of riding an underpowered motorised vehicle of some roads what with the attitude/dangerous driving of some 4 (or more wheeled) vehicles but

Cyclists travel mostly at less than 28.4mph and at those slow speeds aren't wobbling and aren't always riding in the gutter
    Cyclists are taught to take primary at specific points
    Last Tuesday I took my CBT (I still need to do the 2 hour ride to complete and get the certificate) but I haven't been on a motorbike/scooter for more than 15 years yet after a few minutes I was able to ride the scooter at walking pace whilst maintaining balance and control and completing figure of 8's, U turns and the like. And as mentioned in my first comment I was surprised to be taught that in most cases a motorbike rider should ride as if the are a vehicle (primary) and only ride closer to the kerb when filtering or similar

Yes they are restricted for a reason and can put riders at a greater risk but no less a greater risk than a cyclist but wobbling or riding in the gutter is down to a total lack of training hence why CBT is a necessary tool.

Edited by: "philphil61" 2nd Sep 2016

sammyjc71

If they are restricted to 30 there classed as a moped

Wasn't aware of that!

philphil61

If he's wobbling whilst riding and/or if he's riding in the gutter the he … If he's wobbling whilst riding and/or if he's riding in the gutter the he needs training.Yes I undertand the dangers of riding an underpowered motorised vehicle of some roads what with the attitude/dangerous driving of some 4 (or more wheeled) vehicles butCyclists travel mostly at less than 28.4mph and at those slow speeds aren't wobbling and aren't always riding in the gutterCyclists are taught to take primary at specific pointsLast Tuesday I took my CBT (I still need to do the 2 hour ride to complete and get the certificate) but I haven't been on a motorbike/scooter for more than 15 years yet after a few minutes I was able to ride the scooter at walking pace whilst maintaining balance and control and completing figure of 8's, U turns and the like. And as mentioned in my first comment I was surprised to be taught that in most cases a motorbike rider should ride as if the are a vehicle (primary) and only ride closer to the kerb when filtering or similarYes they are restricted for a reason and can put riders at a greater risk but no less a greater risk than a cyclist but wobbling or riding in the gutter is down to a total lack of training hence why CBT is a necessary tool.

Agreed, they should be riding in a dominant position whether at 30 or 60mph

philphil61

Yes I undertand the dangers of riding an underpowered motorised vehicle … Yes I undertand the dangers of riding an underpowered motorised vehicle of some roads what with the attitude/dangerous driving of some 4 (or more wheeled) vehicles butCyclists travel mostly at less than 28.4mph and at those slow speeds aren't wobbling and aren't always riding in the gutterCyclists are taught to take primary at specific pointsLast Tuesday I took my CBT (I still need to do the 2 hour ride to complete and get the certificate) but I haven't been on a motorbike/scooter for more than 15 years yet after a few minutes I was able to ride the scooter at walking pace whilst maintaining balance and control and completing figure of 8's, U turns and the like. And as mentioned in my first comment I was surprised to be taught that in most cases a motorbike rider should ride as if the are a vehicle (primary) and only ride closer to the kerb when filtering or similarYes they are restricted for a reason and can put riders at a greater risk but no less a greater risk than a cyclist but wobbling or riding in the gutter is down to a total lack of training hence why CBT is a necessary tool.

I didn't for a second suggest that the CBT had no value, but the fact remains that a bike restricted to 30mph is dangerous to ride on a road where other traffic is passing at 60mph as not everyone drives as they should. The CBT does not automatically give the rider the confidence to own the lane.

I often see mopeds on a busy A road on my commute to work and they are effectively bullied into the gutter by poorly driven cars, of course that is the fault of those drivers and not of the moped rider.

I have been riding bikes long enough to remember riding unrestricted mopeds (those made before 1977) and unrestricted 125's, I agree with the restriction of 125's for learners as some of the late 80's stuff was capable of putting 100mph on the speedo, but feel that 30mph mopeds are not the answer with the density and speed of today's traffic, I feel 50mph to be more suitable.

andymagic

I didn't for a second suggest that the CBT had no value, but the fact … I didn't for a second suggest that the CBT had no value, but the fact remains that a bike restricted to 30mph is dangerous to ride on a road where other traffic is passing at 60mph as not everyone drives as they should. The CBT does not automatically give the rider the confidence to own the lane.I often see mopeds on a busy A road on my commute to work and they are effectively bullied into the gutter by poorly driven cars, of course that is the fault of those drivers and not of the moped rider.I have been riding bikes long enough to remember riding unrestricted mopeds (those made before 1977) and unrestricted 125's, I agree with the restriction of 125's for learners as some of the late 80's stuff was capable of putting 100mph on the speedo, but feel that 30mph mopeds are not the answer with the density and speed of today's traffic, I feel 50mph to be more suitable.

It's the cars that bully the mopeds into the gutter uneducated

andymagic

I didn't for a second suggest that the CBT had no value, but the fact … I didn't for a second suggest that the CBT had no value, but the fact remains that a bike restricted to 30mph is dangerous to ride on a road where other traffic is passing at 60mph as not everyone drives as they should. The CBT does not automatically give the rider the confidence to own the lane.I often see mopeds on a busy A road on my commute to work and they are effectively bullied into the gutter by poorly driven cars, of course that is the fault of those drivers and not of the moped rider.I have been riding bikes long enough to remember riding unrestricted mopeds (those made before 1977) and unrestricted 125's, I agree with the restriction of 125's for learners as some of the late 80's stuff was capable of putting 100mph on the speedo, but feel that 30mph mopeds are not the answer with the density and speed of today's traffic, I feel 50mph to be more suitable.

You missed the point
    Clearly if you believe a 30mph moped is dangerous because of other road users then clearly a cyclist is at a greater risk.

Even if they upped the restriction to 50mph then clearly they are still at risk - probably slightly less but still at risk because how many drivers stick to 50mph in a 50mph speed limit?
    The whole purpose of the CBT is to teach road safety and ensure the rider has the set requirements to ride within the limitations. Having passed my driving test prior to 2001 I didn't need to take a CBT for a restricted 50cc moped but since taking the CBT (because I want to ride 125cc) I realise that it's an invaluable course even for those like me who wouldn't of needed it just for a 50cc moped.
    Now for a 16 yr old who has little road sense and little acceptance of the dangers (acceptance is probably the wrong word but hopefully you'll understand) restricting the maximum speed and providing road sense is a worth while cause. Maybe the law on driving tests should be changed and where a driver is caught by police or recorded on camera being a risk to 2 (or 3) wheeled vehicles they should be forced to not drive until they re-take and pass their driving test rather than a simple caution or fine or ban - wouldn't that then put the emphasis on those that cause more danger to 2 (or 3) wheeled vehicles.

philphil61

You missed the pointClearly if you believe a 30mph moped is dangerous … You missed the pointClearly if you believe a 30mph moped is dangerous because of other road users then clearly a cyclist is at a greater risk.Even if they upped the restriction to 50mph then clearly they are still at risk - probably slightly less but still at risk because how many drivers stick to 50mph in a 50mph speed limit?The whole purpose of the CBT is to teach road safety and ensure the rider has the set requirements to ride within the limitations. Having passed my driving test prior to 2001 I didn't need to take a CBT for a restricted 50cc moped but since taking the CBT (because I want to ride 125cc) I realise that it's an invaluable course even for those like me who wouldn't of needed it just for a 50cc moped.Now for a 16 yr old who has little road sense and little acceptance of the dangers (acceptance is probably the wrong word but hopefully you'll understand) restricting the maximum speed and providing road sense is a worth while cause. Maybe the law on driving tests should be changed and where a driver is caught by police or recorded on camera being a risk to 2 (or 3) wheeled vehicles they should be forced to not drive until they re-take and pass their driving test rather than a simple caution or fine or ban - wouldn't that then put the emphasis on those that cause more danger to 2 (or 3) wheeled vehicles.

I'm far from missing the point, I see cyclists along the same commute and feel they are in more danger than mopeds from the non-concentrating drivers, driving standards are generally very poor with people on their phones or just not concentrating while at the wheel.
    There is an up to 40 mph speed difference between a cyclist and a law abiding driver (obviously more so for those that speed in excess of the limit) - being hit by something doing 40 mph more than you is not going to end well.

Look at 20mph limits in built up areas as an example of the point I am trying to make (I have lived and currently work in Cambridge which is known for having large numbers of cyclists, I cycle myself) one of the reasons for 20mph limits is that cyclists and vehicular traffic are travelling at similar speeds (well, the ones that abide to the limits are) which greatly reduces the number of cycles and cars overtaking each other, it is these times of passing one another where the opportunity to collide with each other exist. With a high difference in the speed of traffic sharing the same lane the chances of a collision are greatly increased. It is this principle I am referring to when I say 30mph moped vs 60mph cars. A moped that does 50mph (as they do in pretty much every other country) will be travelling at a much closer speed to that of the car.

Just to reiterate, I completely agree with you regarding the CBT being good, I also agree that drivers should be held more accountable, but by the same token I sadly realise that all the laws in the world won't stop the selfish driver from doing whatever it is they do in preference of concentrating on the task of driving their 1 ton + cars.

I took a CBT in 2000 and all that involved was riding around some cones in various formations and some basic bike handling skills, it wasn't until the direct access part of the course that any road craft was taught, hopefully this is not the case these days and from what you have said it sounds to be the case.

I do get your point to a degree about the reasons mopeds were restricted, but this law came into effect in 1977 and the traffic landscape has changed beyond all recognition since then, cars are vastly faster than they were in 77 so traffic generally moves faster and the sheer volume of traffic has increased exponentially which points back to my point about 20mph limits in built up areas.

With all that said, it's all rather a moot point; 16 year old are still 16 year olds and any that want to do 50mph will simply hit the internet and find out how to de-restrict their moped. These days it is staggeringly simple to uncork most mopeds and get them doing 50mph.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. One for the mathmaticians2847
      2. One thing you've forgotten55
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767462
      4. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.816

See more discussions