What bulbs will connect to the MIHOME app?

Posted 9th Nov
Bought a gateway and door sensors and now need lightbulbs, what ones are compatible, looking for cheaper as will want to add most of house eventually

seems so confusing, I have a yeelight but looks like not compatible, phillip xioami? and zigbee? no idea
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

27 Comments
Mi LED light bulb. Basically the same as a Yeelight but made just by Xiaomi. Welcome to post questions such as this here in the future
Edited by: "jamie15" 9th Nov
jamie1509/11/2019 14:34

Mi LED light bulb. Basically the same as a Yeelight but made just by …Mi LED light bulb. Basically the same as a Yeelight but made just by Xiaomi.

Link? Cheapest I've found is 13£
Gumbon09/11/2019 14:40

Link? Cheapest I've found is 13£

mobile.mi.com/uk/mi-led-smart-bulb/

Not sure where it's cheapest but this is the one. I was in the same situation as you. Bought a smart sensor kit. Had Yeelight but they only work in Chinese version of app I think. In the end I bought Mi LED bulb to work with the button so I get a light switch. Now the Yeelight I have has no use
jamie1509/11/2019 14:47

mobile.mi.com/uk/mi-led-smart-bulb/Not sure where it's cheapest but this …mobile.mi.com/uk/mi-led-smart-bulb/Not sure where it's cheapest but this is the one. I was in the same situation as you. Bought a smart sensor kit. Had Yeelight but they only work in Chinese version of app I think. In the end I bought Mi LED bulb to work with the button so I get a light switch. Now the Yeelight I have has no use

Yeelight work on the Singapore server as well (and possibly others). Or you could just use the Yeelight app which is better than the mi home app anyway.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 9th Nov
dcx_badass09/11/2019 14:50

Yeelight work on the Singapore server as well (and possibly others). Or … Yeelight work on the Singapore server as well (and possibly others). Or you could just use the Yeelight app which is better than the mi home app anyway.

Yeelight app would be fine, but they wouldn't work with the Xiaomi smart sensors then. You need to get them to work in Mi Home app.
jamie1509/11/2019 14:34

Mi LED light bulb. Basically the same as a Yeelight but made just by …Mi LED light bulb. Basically the same as a Yeelight but made just by Xiaomi. Welcome to post questions such as this here in the future

Yeelight does not work, ive got it set up with the mi home hub and switches and sensors. you wont be able to use the yeelight app though. its one or the other. you can control the yeelights from within the Mi Home app.
EN1GMA11/11/2019 08:58

Yeelight does not work, ive got it set up with the mi home hub and …Yeelight does not work, ive got it set up with the mi home hub and switches and sensors. you wont be able to use the yeelight app though. its one or the other. you can control the yeelights from within the Mi Home app.

I didn't say Yeelight would work. I said the Mi LED bulb would.
jamie1511/11/2019 09:21

I didn't say Yeelight would work. I said the Mi LED bulb would.

And I'm saying so do yeelights. So hopefully OP has lots of options.

Still trying to find recessed spotlights which will work with Mi home hub (UK compatible of course). Either the whole fitting or the bulb itself, either would do. Bulb only better of course due to cost

mobile.mi.com/uk/mi-led-smart-bulb/Not sure where it's cheapest but this …mobile.mi.com/uk/mi-led-smart-bulb/Not sure where it's cheapest but this is the one. I was in the same situation as you. Bought a smart sensor kit. Had Yeelight but they only work in Chinese version of app I think. In the end I bought Mi LED bulb to work with the button so I get a light switch. Now the Yeelight I have has no use

I've got the yeelight version, great bulbs, just not enough UK design options.
EN1GMA11/11/2019 09:46

And I'm saying so do yeelights. So hopefully OP has lots of options.Still …And I'm saying so do yeelights. So hopefully OP has lots of options.Still trying to find recessed spotlights which will work with Mi home hub (UK compatible of course). Either the whole fitting or the bulb itself, either would do. Bulb only better of course due to cost

Yeelights don't work on UK server. You have to use China, potentially Singapore. Means there is bit of a delay in turning light on/off.

I had Yeelight but bought Mi LED because I wanted it to work on Mi Home app UK server.
Edited by: "jamie15" 11th Nov
jamie1511/11/2019 09:51

Yeelights don't work on UK server. You have to use China, potentially …Yeelights don't work on UK server. You have to use China, potentially Singapore. Means there is bit of a delay in turning light on/off.I had Yeelight but bought Mi LED because I wanted it to work on Mi Home app UK server.

You're right, apologies. Think I use China to get full functionality.

I don't really want to get into the hue system but I'm tempted by IKEA and it's offerings.

Just need a flexible system. Home assistant would be great but not clued up on it. Otherwise that is perfect.

Yeelights don't work on UK server. You have to use China, potentially …Yeelights don't work on UK server. You have to use China, potentially Singapore. Means there is bit of a delay in turning light on/off.I had Yeelight but bought Mi LED because I wanted it to work on Mi Home app UK server.

Do all the sensors and switches work on the UK server?
EN1GMA11/11/2019 09:56

Do all the sensors and switches work on the UK server?

Yes. At least all the ones I have.
Edited by: "jamie15" 11th Nov
EN1GMA11/11/2019 09:54

You're right, apologies. Think I use China to get full functionality.I …You're right, apologies. Think I use China to get full functionality.I don't really want to get into the hue system but I'm tempted by IKEA and it's offerings.Just need a flexible system. Home assistant would be great but not clued up on it. Otherwise that is perfect.

HA is too much effort for me as you need another device. I already have the Xiaomi hub and that runs my light switch so that's all I need.

I think some Philips bulbs work with Mi Home as Xiaomi work with them. I am happy with Mi LED light so not really in need of anything else but Hue is probably better if you need a more advanced setup.
dcx_badass09/11/2019 14:50

Yeelight work on the Singapore server as well (and possibly others). Or …Yeelight work on the Singapore server as well (and possibly others). Or you could just use the Yeelight app which is better than the mi home app anyway.

I have the yeelight app but in order for the light to work with my mi sensors it has to work with the mi home app,

Other peopple online suggest other diy ways but its fair to complicate for my parents house

when i signed up to my gateway i want to be using uk server correct?

I've gone for these bulbs at £12 a pop, I've seen some 6w versions for around 6-7£ for lamps and stuff,

little shame its so closed but it is what it is

ebay.co.uk/itm…mLh
EN1GMA11/11/2019 09:54

You're right, apologies. Think I use China to get full functionality.I …You're right, apologies. Think I use China to get full functionality.I don't really want to get into the hue system but I'm tempted by IKEA and it's offerings.Just need a flexible system. Home assistant would be great but not clued up on it. Otherwise that is perfect.

I tried to install on a vm yesterday home assistant to see what it was like and gave up after some erros and the guide being a few month old, if I can't even install the os what chance do i have keeping the automatiions working haha,

This is for my home with my parents but moving out in a few months and rather pay premium for something that just works, don't mind messing with home assistant in my own house (so i can use any brand)

but in relatives better i go in on one standard
jamie1511/11/2019 10:01

HA is too much effort for me as you need another device. I already have …HA is too much effort for me as you need another device. I already have the Xiaomi hub and that runs my light switch so that's all I need.I think some Philips bulbs work with Mi Home as Xiaomi work with them. I am happy with Mi LED light so not really in need of anything else but Hue is probably better if you need a more advanced setup.

There is a option in the app for ''led light bulb'' although i can't see what that is until I add my gateway, I would presume its any bulb that uses Zigbee, so might be option for cheaper bulbs,

overall only will need 5 bulbs and 3 more sensors long term so

£7 x 4 6w bulbs and another 1 x £12 bulb is not tooo terrible, unless they break
Gumbon11/11/2019 12:01

when i signed up to my gateway i want to be using uk server correct?

I would recommend it. Singapore would also work but it will be slower.
Gumbon11/11/2019 12:06

I've gone for these bulbs at £12 a pop, I've seen some 6w versions for …I've gone for these bulbs at £12 a pop, I've seen some 6w versions for around 6-7£ for lamps and stuff, little shame its so closed but it is what it is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xiaomi-Aqara-Smart-Light-LED-Bulb-Wireless-Zigbee-9W-E27-App-Control-ZNLDP12LM/183862733316?hash=item2acf12aa04:g:BIYAAOSw29JcCmLh

Nice, not used the Aqara ones before but think I've seen them in UK app.
Gumbon11/11/2019 12:11

There is a option in the app for ''led light bulb'' although i can't see …There is a option in the app for ''led light bulb'' although i can't see what that is until I add my gateway, I would presume its any bulb that uses Zigbee, so might be option for cheaper bulbs, overall only will need 5 bulbs and 3 more sensors long term so £7 x 4 6w bulbs and another 1 x £12 bulb is not tooo terrible, unless they break

I see that but it says not compatible with Mi Control Hub which is what I have. A ZigBee hub is probably needed.

I personally have the Mi LED Smart Bulb but it's better for me as no hub required.
jamie1511/11/2019 12:14

Nice, not used the Aqara ones before but think I've seen them in UK app.

Hope so ordered one now haha, my gateway and door sensor should be here next week.

Might be needing a motion sensor soon aswell
Gumbon11/11/2019 12:18

Hope so ordered one now haha, my gateway and door sensor should be here …Hope so ordered one now haha, my gateway and door sensor should be here next week.Might be needing a motion sensor soon aswell

I have one of these spare and have no idea what to do with it I won a few mi.com vouchers and had nothing to spend them on so I bought two of those.

Good luck, hope they work
jamie1511/11/2019 12:17

I see that but it says not compatible with Mi Control Hub which is what I …I see that but it says not compatible with Mi Control Hub which is what I have. A ZigBee hub is probably needed.I personally have the Mi LED Smart Bulb but it's better for me as no hub required.

But you would still need a hub for the Door sensors though?

I like the idea of all my smart bulbs not being connected to the internet and commuiicate with one hub, just hope the ecosystem can offer all they need over next 5 years.

Like Phillips hue might be great for people but will it integrate if they deide they want a door sensor? oh wait they don't sell them yet, or if they do they might decide they want xxx oh wait the platform im on don't sell these yet, just seems annoying.
jamie1511/11/2019 12:22

I have one of these spare and have no idea what to do with it I won …I have one of these spare and have no idea what to do with it I won a few mi.com vouchers and had nothing to spend them on so I bought two of those.Good luck, hope they work

Again when buying the hub there was 3 listings on banggood, no idea what they diffrences was none of the descriptions seemed diffrent, I went for the ''upgraded'' one assuming this is the newest/best
Gumbon11/11/2019 12:22

But you would still need a hub for the Door sensors though?I like the idea …But you would still need a hub for the Door sensors though?I like the idea of all my smart bulbs not being connected to the internet and commuiicate with one hub, just hope the ecosystem can offer all they need over next 5 years.Like Phillips hue might be great for people but will it integrate if they deide they want a door sensor? oh wait they don't sell them yet, or if they do they might decide they want xxx oh wait the platform im on don't sell these yet, just seems annoying.

I don't use the sensors. I tried them a few times but really don't need it. I use Google Assistant or the button (which requires a hub) to control the lights.

ZigBee is the most open smart home system I've seen, it would be nice if it became a universal standard with all smart devices but manufacturers want to lock people in their ecosystem.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants