Groups

What can a PS3 do

Can someone break down for me apart from playing games, watching DVD's and listening to music all the things the PS3 can do. I'm thinking of getting rid of the Xbox360 and upgrading. What can the PS3 do the Xbox can't.

57 Comments

well you can use them as a door stop

Original Poster

It would be an expensive one :->

blu-ray, 'nuff said

Is blu ray any good? Is is only new films that are filmed in blu ray? Also is 80gb enough?

Im interested in the answer to this too, one of my sons has the 360 and loves it to bits but hates his younger brother going on it. Sooooooo we're thinking of a games console for the younger one, he has had a Wii and didnt play on it. Is it worth getting a PS3 or another 360?
    (sorry to hijack )

I use my PS3 primarily as a blu ray player and the 360 for games. In time the PS3 will have a decent catalogue of games but at the minute it's seriously lacking.

ps3 can be used as a media player good for games and blue ray internet aslo sony dont charge for internet i ahve a ps3 and 360 and i like them both but a bit peed with the braking down 360 sent my back twice and the ps3 is still ticking lol also like to stream stuff of pc to ps3 wireless no more burning discs

Only thing is blu-ray and internet browsing.

commas and full stops are great.

TBH yeh i wouldnt even use bluerays once i get a ps3 i still prefer dvds or watching them on the net. I never really pay to keep dvds and never will. If you like hi def and that then its worth it.

I wanted to know what else it done too.:oops:.. I bought one for my boys a couple of months ago and all they have done is play the games.. They have got seven to go at and I have had a two blu-ray films from lovefilms and to be honest I didn't think the picture quality was any better than skyHD.. They have set it up on-line and have been playing other players on Fifa.. But what else in simple terms can they do with it?..

I'm pleased you asked this Extrajohn..:thumbsup:

PS3's aren't fail proof............i'm on my 3rd.

1st time the drive died within 48hrs of getting one. 2nd time a FW update killed it.

the dandy p;2828042

commas and full stops are great.

so are you.

pikachu12;2828071

so are you.

Thanks.

Should also mention DIVX support (does 360 have that?) and free online play

yep the 360 has divx support.

can ps3 play .mkv?

pikachu12;2828131

can ps3 play .mkv?

You need to convert it first.

online play for the xbox 360 your paying for a excellent service but yeh it would have been nice for it to be free.

Abvance;2828148

You need to convert it first.

to what?

One of the main reason i bought a ps3 is region free. I'm sick and tired waiting for games to be released here in europe, if not never or cancelled. Disgaea 3 and Afrika come to mind.

Have to admit though it has gotten better with several big titles (GTA4, MGS4) with worldwide release.

mmk1125;2828254

One of the main reason i bought a ps3 is region free. I'm sick and tired … One of the main reason i bought a ps3 is region free. I'm sick and tired waiting for games to be released here in europe, if not never or cancelled. Disgaea 3 and Afrika come to mind.

Has Afrika been cancelled? There was so much hype surrounding that game.

Most of the features have been listed, so I will summarise them in an easy to read format:

-Bluray player with full 1080P and High Def lossless audio support
    #Very importantly receives regular updates to ensure compatibility with newer disks
    - Excellent upscaling DVD player
    - Audio CD player
    - Plays PS3 games (obviously!)
    - DNLA compliant media player (stream music, videos, photos from PC / Media server)
    # - MPEG-4 (AAC LC)
    # - H.264(AAC LC)
    # - MPEG-2
    # - MP3
    # - AAC
    # MP4
    # MPEG-1
    # AVI
    #JPEG
    # AVCHD (.m2ts / .mts)
    # DivX
    # WMV
    - SACD player (60GB only)
    - PS1 / PS2 games player (60GB only)
    - Various media card readers
    - Excellent internet Browser
    - Built in WiFi
    - Free online play via Playstation network

Anything I have forgotten? :-)

The 40gb will play PS1 games as well. Just not PS2

Syzable;2828398

The 40gb will play PS1 games as well. Just not PS2

I did not know that. Thank you.:thumbsup:

I was a massive supporter of xmbc for years, but the PS3 has led me to retire my xbox 1 back to its box.

It just handles the video aspect so well, pushing your xvids up to a nice high resolution and churning through both stereo and 5.1 soundtracks with ease.

So, I use my PS3 every day, but not to play games, and I would not switch away from xbox live to PSN if they paid me, thats how much better xbl is.

(Africa was always Japan only, but maybe Europe as well now)
    (MKV content needs to be encoded to MP4 on a non-streaming basis, I think I use gotsent)

I too use it every day as a media player. No more watching videos on the small laptop screen for me!!

As LRGM mentions, the audio capabilities are excellent. I run mine via HDMI to a Onkyo 605 amp.

Syzable;2828002

I use my PS3 primarily as a blu ray player and the 360 for games. In time … I use my PS3 primarily as a blu ray player and the 360 for games. In time the PS3 will have a decent catalogue of games but at the minute it's seriously lacking.

That exactly what i am going mate

Glad to see i am not the only one :thumbsup:

Uncharted Drake's Fortune is the PS3 game to get

LRGM;2828455

I was a massive supporter of xmbc for years, but the PS3 has led me to … I was a massive supporter of xmbc for years, but the PS3 has led me to retire my xbox 1 back to its box.It just handles the video aspect so well, pushing your xvids up to a nice high resolution and churning through both stereo and 5.1 soundtracks with ease.So, I use my PS3 every day, but not to play games, and I would not switch away from xbox live to PSN if they paid me, thats how much better xbl is.(Africa was always Japan only, but maybe Europe as well now)(MKV content needs to be encoded to MP4 on a non-streaming basis, I think I use gotsent)

I'm planning on moving to the PS3 from the original XBox as a replacement for my much loved XBMC and I'm in the same boat as I use it as a Media Centre rather than for games. I love the recoding on the fly from xvid to hi-def content - the article I read was via Nero SmartHome and it looked awesome. PlayTV also looks great and will probably force my hand into my pocket and make me buy a PS3 as long as it supports mobile TV from devices other than a PSP.

Just curious on what you can utilise the 80GB's of storage for? Can you get nooky games stored on the drive and how does it handle local xvids etc?

Also - in terms of the 40Gb, 60Gb & new 80 Gb, which can play PS1 & PS2 games?

(Sorry if this is a hijack but it seemed relevant to the discussion) :oops:

Banned

LRGM;2828455

(MKV content needs to be encoded to MP4 on a non-streaming basis, I think … (MKV content needs to be encoded to MP4 on a non-streaming basis, I think I use gotsent)

MKV is just a container.. most files that you download off the internet with that extension just need to be re-muxed into another container that the PS3 supports like .MPG or .VOB etc which on an average computer won't take longer than 5-10 minutes maximum. There are some though that must be converted into another codec, usually the audio - although if you download a 1080p rip it won't be a quick process at all.

fugjostle

Also - in terms of the 40Gb, 60Gb & new 80 Gb, which can play PS1 & PS2 … Also - in terms of the 40Gb, 60Gb & new 80 Gb, which can play PS1 & PS2 games?

Europe only ever had one PS2 B/C model and that was the now (long) discontinued 60GB.

[QUOTE=beelzebub;2829717]MKV is just a container.. most files that you download off the internet with that extension just need to be re-muxed into another container that the PS3 supports like .MPG or .VOB etc which on an average computer won't take longer than 5-10 minutes maximum. There are some though that must be converted into another codec, usually the audio - although if you download a 1080p rip it won't be a quick process at all.

You are right, mkv is just a container, as is an avi file.

I think the point I was trying to make without too much insight was in reference to the fact a lot of 720p content from the internet comes as .h264 . mkv and that content needs some processing to get it to work.

Anyway, as long as people know what GOTSent is (sentry23.googlepages.com/) then I guess my work is done.

Original Poster

Thnaks for all the info huys. I to have an Xbox360 and am debating wether or not to upgrade, I think in the long run the PS3 has more life in it than the 360 has. Shoot me if I'm wrong. I do prefer the controller of the 360 though.

Original Poster

Also is the PS3 online really all that bad compared to what you pay Microsoft for on the xbox ????

Extrajohn;2831259

Also is the PS3 online really all that bad compared to what you pay … Also is the PS3 online really all that bad compared to what you pay Microsoft for on the xbox ????

Live is much better than the PS3 network. But you pay for Live and not for the PS3 so it balances itself out.

Original Poster

Sorry to sound dumb but how is live better, I've played on the PS3 and it does have any lag when I was on it. ????

I guess it's just down to personal preference. I often struggle to get a game online on some PS3 titles whereas on Live there is always people about.

Original Poster

not being nosey just interessted what type of games are you playing, COD4 , FIfa 08???

aarond74;2827969

Is blu ray any good? Is is only new films that are filmed in blu ray? … Is blu ray any good? Is is only new films that are filmed in blu ray? Also is 80gb enough?

Blu-Ray is just a type of laser technology that allows for large amounts of data to be read from discs. To be 'Full HD' (1080p the usual for Blu-Ray) a film must have a source with a high enough resolution. Most movies, even really old ones, go well beyond this as they needed to be able to be projected onto big screens. So it's really just that the Home Theatre market is starting to move closer to the cinema experience.

360 rules on games, PS3 rules as a disc player slash media centre. I have a Popcornhour (1080p media player) so the PS3 only holds an attraction as a disc player only.

Extrajohn;2831447

not being nosey just interessted what type of games are you playing, COD4 … not being nosey just interessted what type of games are you playing, COD4 , FIfa 08???

No. Some of the earlier launch titles.

I haven't really bought any of the bigger games as i've plumped for those on the 360 as the price is much better for them and there is no difference.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…11
      2. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…67
      3. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64545
      4. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1134

See more discussions