Expired

What can EE do about gf selling her new phone within 6 months?

Found 12th Apr 2014
Convinced the missus to get the EE 23.99 a month iPhone 5c contract. Chap mentioned that she wasn't allowed to sell it within 6 months - something to do with Ofcom??? I had planned on giving her my 5s and selling the 5c....so my question - what could they possibly do about her selling it within 6 months??????
Community Updates
18 Comments
To be honest I think it's a load of bs. Never heard of anything like that before; as long as you make all the payments - the smartphone is yours, and you can do what you like with it.

Take no notice of them.
they can't do anything if you're keeping up on your payments.
First I've ever heard of something like this as well :-s. I'll go with BS as well. Many people upgrade/take new contracts and sell the phone, take it to CEX etc. not like they'd know.
cock all to do with OFCOM - doesn't come under their remit
I think within contract your probably advised to keep hold of the phone, but as mentioned as long as you keep up all payments they wont say or do anything really. Many people get contracts purely to sell the phone and earn a few hundred ££ quickly, nothing happens and nobody says anything to them as they keep up their payments. You stop your payments they will block/bar the phone
Probably start with breaking her legs, I wouldn't like to say how far company's like this will go.
So you're going to give her your 5s, what phone you getting??
J4GG4

I think within contract your probably advised to keep hold of the phone, … I think within contract your probably advised to keep hold of the phone, but as mentioned as long as you keep up all payments they wont say or do anything really. Many people get contracts purely to sell the phone and earn a few hundred ££ quickly, nothing happens and nobody says anything to them as they keep up their payments. You stop your payments they will block/bar the phone

+ take a hit on your credit file. It will get flagged up as missed payments. Early warning signs of irregular non-payments to banks/creditors could put you as a higher risk credit borrower. Better to pay on time without delay & improve on your credit file.
Think you will find the phone doesnt belong to you until the end of the contract? Usually part if the monthly payment is paying for the phone.
debbiedturner

Think you will find the phone doesnt belong to you until the end of the … Think you will find the phone doesnt belong to you until the end of the contract? Usually part if the monthly payment is paying for the phone.

This could probably only be the case if there were separate contracts for the Airtime and the Phone, like O2's Refresh or Tesco's Anytime Upgrade. Even then you are free to do with the handset as you like, so long as you keep up the payments or indeed pay all remaining term when you end the Airtime contract. These are straight forward credit agreements and not hire-purchase agreements where ownership only passes when the goods have been fully paid for.

The fact that EE states that the OP can sell after six months and that it is an OFCOM regulation indicates that this is total BS. OFCOM does not regulate credit agreements and the handset is either sellable at any time or at the end of the 24 month contract, not some abstract mid-point.
I would suggest OP to go back & demand to speak to the same advisor & team manager & explain further the T&C's why not allowed to sell handset within 6 months & what else they can come up with. X)

Record it & send copy to EE CEO for review. If they employ & train monkeys like that, they'll certainly lose loads of custom. How the heck EE can employ folks like that is outside business ethics? oO
I'd file this as unverifiable hearsay from an anomalous employee.
In the old days we'd just have to lap it up and believe it, these days thankfully the internet allows us to sift through the BS.
Someone's just commented on an old thread of mine, basically saying the same thing - EE told them they can't sell the phone for 6 months :S. New "policy"? Although how it could be enforced I have no idea :S.

hotukdeals.com/tag…334

Wonder if it was the same sales rep.
Edited by: "bex85" 17th Apr 2014
bex85

Someone's just commented on an old thread of mine, basically saying the … Someone's just commented on an old thread of mine, basically saying the same thing - EE told them they can't sell the phone for 6 months :S. New "policy"? Although how it could be enforced I have no idea :S.http://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/ask/selling-a-contract-phone-an-issue-can-blocked-1459334#post21545046Wonder if it was the same sales rep.

Hi! Yeah that was me - the quote I'd pasted was direct from the web-chat I did at the time of upgrade.
maybe its because you dont own the phone? well not untill your contract is up, they need something to go after should you stop making payments. if you sell it and then cease paying they`ll bar someone elses device.
theres probablky a legal loop hole somewhere that says if you dont own the device any longer you dont have to pay, and people are takign advantage so EE are telling customers to keep the phones for 6 mths as that`ll about cover the handset cost
I got same deal. Phone will arrive on Wednesday. Salesperson said same - that I can't sell for 6 months. But I might. Does the phone come without sim and seal packed? Is it locked to ee? And how much possibly I can get it if I sell on gumtree or cex. Hate eBay for charges.
You need to read the Terms and Conditions on EE's website. The rules have only changed a few months ago and you can't - sadly sell your phone b4 6 months are up. Once the EMI number is used and not by the person who's sim it should belong to - they will ask for the phone back. Failing that then the full cost of the phone.
Hi Mimi1900
Where do you have this info from?
Also, what is the EMI number? I am aware of IMEI, MSISDN, IMSI

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants