Found 1st May 2009
Hello all, I was made redundant a couple of weeks ago and as yet have not managed to find another job. I have only been on one interview and every day I search all the job sites and apply for relevant jobs. Unfortunately I do not have any qualifications as such other than ECDL (European computer driving licence). I would like to study towards something so that I have some certificates just in case this kind of thing happens again but I dont really know where to look or what to study. I cannot afford to do any home learning. Can anyone help with some sensible suggestions on where to go and what to study!! I know this is a long shot but I desperately need some help!!!

Thanks in anticipation!
XX

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
16 Comments

you could look into doing something with the open uni that way when you get a job you can still do yr course :thumbsup:

michelleleemoo;5091486

you could look into doing something with the open uni that way when you … you could look into doing something with the open uni that way when you get a job you can still do yr course :thumbsup:

i agree, or evening classes in something is always good.

Play Peggle

awoodhall2003;5091494

i agree, or evening classes in something is always good.

i agree too, also voluntary work looks fantastic on yr cv so find yr nearest volunteer centre, this also can work around any new job :-D

michelleleemoo;5091486

you could look into doing something with the open uni that way when you … you could look into doing something with the open uni that way when you get a job you can still do yr course :thumbsup:

yes i think its free if you're in receipt of benefits x

ClarityofMind;5091524

yes i think its free if you're in receipt of benefits x

thats right hun

buy a PS3 and then problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned

Abz;5091697

No, xbox 360 Dawg ;-)

Abz;5091697

lol, i think i'd enjoy that more than endless training too

Can anyone help with some sensible suggestions on where to go and what to study!!

kazzer if you pop more on about what your work background is, your interests and where you are maybe you'll get some suggestions, would be hard to advise when picking something out of fresh air. This will prob be a chance to embark on a whole new path so widen your horizons, I always think you do better at things that you embrace, no good doing a course on nuclear physics if you dream of being a nursery nurse for example, probabaly not a good analagy but you get my drift

Original Poster

michelleleemoo;5091774

Can anyone help with some sensible suggestions on where to go and what to … Can anyone help with some sensible suggestions on where to go and what to study!! kazzer if you pop more on about what your work background is, your interests and where you are maybe you'll get some suggestions, would be hard to advise when picking something out of fresh air. This will prob be a chance to embark on a whole new path so widen your horizons, I always think you do better at things that you embrace, no good doing a course on nuclear physics if you dream of being a nursery nurse for example, probabaly not a good analagy but you get my drift

Thats a sensible suggestion. I was just getting to the end of my tether when trying to search our local college for part time courses in the evening! I know roughly what kind of thing I am looking for (anything to do with Business Studies or Business Administration) to only find out that they dont publish their prospectus until May 10th. I know it is only 10 days to wait but 10 days is a long time when all you do all day long is search for a job!! I am also interested in doing something like desk top support but dont know what kind of courses I need for that as my computer skills only go as far as being competent on the Microsoft packages!! Thanks for the info and help.

XX.

kazzer67;5092167

Thats a sensible suggestion. I was just getting to the end of my tether … Thats a sensible suggestion. I was just getting to the end of my tether when trying to search our local college for part time courses in the evening! I know roughly what kind of thing I am looking for (anything to do with Business Studies or Business Administration) to only find out that they dont publish their prospectus until May 10th. I know it is only 10 days to wait but 10 days is a long time when all you do all day long is search for a job!! I am also interested in doing something like desk top support but dont know what kind of courses I need for that as my computer skills only go as far as being competent on the Microsoft packages!! Thanks for the info and help.XX.

well have a look here ]http//ww…S01 but think you will need some patience all round as start dates for everything are varied and you dont want to rush into things either. I know exactly how you feel, going stir-crazy at home even though im doing a OU degree, have 2 kids, wanting to start a buisness AND looking for work. All in good time me thinks. I wish you well

also have a look here see if theres any helpfull info ]http//ww…615

Have you exhausted all the sites. I have got Jobs through the Grocer ([url]www.thegrocer.co.uk/jobs[/url]) These are for retail and has a very high application rate.
I also agree with the other member Voluntary work is very good on CV and shows your adaptability. Good Luck

In the mean time, enter loads of online competitions and see if you can win yourself something nice. I was off sick after having an op on my knee last year and won about £600 worth of stuff including a PS3.

If you have time scrub up on things you may need to use in the job you are looking for. There are thousands of tutorials online for all sorts of things like Microsoft office applications, photoshop, financial programs. It just might give you the edge in a interview. Many companies give you tests or time to show your skills. I had one where we had 30mins to create a 4 page powerpoint presentation on a given subject. The people who didn't produce anything went home at lunch. So if it says knowledge of Microsoft office don't assume they only want you to use word and excel.

Original Poster

Thanks to all who have replied. I have found the information very helpful and it has actually cheered me up believe it or not!! just managing to voice my frustration was good.

I will keep you updated with what I find out.

Again, thanks for listening to my rant and for all the good advice!

Karen.
XX
:thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Win an unbelievable Windows Mixed Reality prize pack from Windows Central! …44
    2. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition64694
    3. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines43
    4. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers44

See more discussions