What can I salvage from my old PC? Now a new build!

Found 13th JunEdited by:"zorbathegeek"
Ok looks like I'm replacing most of my old PC, so this is now more of a new build discussion:

Bought an RX580 8gb graphics card. (£220 warehouse deal)
Acer 24" 144hz freesync monitor (£159)
Cheapo 'gaming' Teknet K/M combo (£14 warehouse)
Big old mouse mat (£8)
EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3, 80 Plus Gold modular 550W (£79.99)
ASUS Intel 1151 Socket Z370 Chipset Prime P (£90 warehouse)
Ballistix Sport 16 GB Kit (8 GB x 2) DDR4, 2400 MT/s (£139)
Intel 8600k unused (£180 ebay)

Running total: £890.

How did that happen?!

Kept the case, fans, hard drive and optical drive. Will have to add an ssd for windows.

-----------------------------
Just had a brief look at my mothballed PC and it appears to contain:

ddr 3 1066 ram (replacing)
430W be quiet! Pure Power BQT L7 ATX2.3 Power Supply (might keep)
Asus m5a97 pro AM3 motherboard (replacing)
AMD 955 black edition processor (replacing)
Samsung 7200 500gb hard drive (adding SSD)
Optical drive (keeping)
Some fans and a case. (keeping)
Community Updates
Ask
20 Comments
Whip cream with a cherry on top, if you’re lucky
Ka11ran4 m ago

Whip cream with a cherry on top, if you’re lucky

Thank you for that baffling contribution.

I think the case might be ok. I mean, a case is a case, right? Maybe the aftermarket cooler for the CPU on a Ryzen chip? Possibly the hard drive if I add an SSD? Probably have to bin the power supply.
Psu might be ok if you're not gaming.
kester767 m ago

Psu might be ok if you're not gaming.

I think I will be doing. Maybe a 1060 card. 1080p monitor.
Ram will be no good in a DDR 4 system
Mobo will be no good with a new processor as they use different sockets
Processor is pretty old for gaming
Hard drives are slow and old. SSD or preferable M2 SSD
Optical drive could be saved if it uses SATA
fans should be replaced every 2-3 years of hard use so bin those
PSU is probably slightly too low for decent graphics cards
Case - if it was a good one then keep otherwise you can probably get a better case for cheap

You can always try selling parts on eBay.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 13th Jun
deleted1315437
I must say. This is a great little question to ask. Well played op.
fans should be replaced every 2-3 years of hard use so bin those

Not had much use at all so should be able to keep them. Hurrah!
I'm still running an AMD 965... depends what games you want to run, can do my tank battle one and Elder Scrolls Legends with no problem (GTX 750 Ti graphics) - would probably bottleneck much higher than that.
The GTX1060 is a 120W card, the CPU is 125W and the PSU has a total of 360W available on the major 12V

Ought to be able to get away with it as it's a decent brand, not that I'd recommend a GTX1060 on that CPU.

To salvage the RAM, you'd have to be using a previous generation Intel, up to 4th gen Haswell / 5th gen Broadwell in LGA1150
cmdr_elito9 h, 2 m ago

You can always try selling parts on eBay.

That's what (s)he is trying to do here. Subtle.
zorbathegeek9 h, 55 m ago

I think I will be doing. Maybe a 1060 card. 1080p monitor.

Might be tight but a 1050ti would be fine
ccnp1 h, 10 m ago

That's what (s)he is trying to do here. Subtle.

Haha, you got me!

Can't wait to rake in the £2.50 after postage this badboy setup will net me.

If only ebay didn't exist, or I'd tried to sell anything on here in the 8 yrs I've been a member...
kester7623 m ago

Might be tight but a 1050ti would be fine

I'v ran 1050ti's on OEM dell systems with 240w PSU's. I recon 430w will be plenty for the 1060.
Deaa6 m ago

I'v ran 1050ti's on OEM dell systems with 240w PSU's. I recon 430w will be …I'v ran 1050ti's on OEM dell systems with 240w PSU's. I recon 430w will be plenty for the 1060.

Well the price is certainly right. Thinking I might go with one of those 15 8400 chips, unless there's a worthwhile Ryzen alternative around the same price?
430W is loads of power and will happily handle anything except a high end card or overclocked setup.

Also, the only reason to get rid of functional fans is if they fail or become too noisy. There's no reason I'm aware of to replace then solely due to age.

I'd be keeping your current PC, a Phenom II X4 is still a plenty for website work and will run the majority of games acceptably too - it's about 60% of the speed of a Ryzen 1200 or G4560.

Buy a graphics card for it like an RX 560 and a freesync monitor and decide where to go from there. You might be perfectly happy with it's performance.
EndlessWaves7 m ago

430W is loads of power and will happily handle anything except a high end …430W is loads of power and will happily handle anything except a high end card or overclocked setup.Also, the only reason to get rid of functional fans is if they fail or become too noisy. There's no reason I'm aware of to replace then solely due to age. I'd be keeping your current PC, a Phenom II X4 is still a plenty for website work and will run the majority of games acceptably too - it's about 60% of the speed of a Ryzen 1200 or G4560. Buy a graphics card for it like an RX 560 and a freesync monitor and decide where to go from there. You might be perfectly happy with it's performance.

Thanks for the info.

I'm actually considering buying an rx580 4gb and a freesync monitor. That might bump up the power requirements though, and I'm sure the ram and chip will be a bottleneck.

Eventually I'll swap out the board, chip and ram. Just interested to see if the setup works at all first, make me excited for the subsequent upgrades!
It depends

Are you planning on gaming or just getting a faster computer for browsing

The PSU is useful
You can reuse the harddrive but it's best to replace it, I wouldn't throw it away I'll use it as a secondary drive to keep non important stuff since a old Harddrives could fail if you had it too long, if do you throw it away make sure you use a good program to erase it or put a drill through it
Edited by: "Norseg" 14th Jun
Well I ended up buying an rx580 8gb and a Freesync monitor.

Checked the ram and it's 2 4gb modules and 2 8gb modules. No idea how I came to buy that combination, but it's in there. Think I've got a crappy video card in there too.

Anyway, we'll see if it explodes over the next few days.
I would recommend you spend £25 grabbing a cheap 120GB SSD
Cisco0606063 m ago

I would recommend you spend £25 grabbing a cheap 120GB SSD

Thanks, I'll definitely be getting an SSD. Made a big difference in my laptops.

Was hoping to salvage the CPU cooler for an AM4 build but have checked the mount and it's not compatible. So I'll be getting a Ryzen chip, heatsink and fan, AM4 board, SSD and new RAM. Gonna get spendy this!
Well thanks to Amazon Prime’s expedited delivery I’ll be waiting 5 days for my monitor, and everything I ordered is arriving on different days. Not one next day.

Meanwhile, looking at today’s RAM prices is depressing... and apparently Ryzen likes the faster modules?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants