Expired

What can I use to remove orange/brown water stains from grout (I have travertine tiles)

Found 9th Dec 2013
I can't use the usual cleaners because of the tiles. I have tried elbow grease & a toothbrush which helps a little. Has anyone found a product that is safe to use on travertine that works?
Community Updates
AskTile
18 Comments
what about a steam cleaner x
I've used a grout pen before- I got it from Tesco for about a fiver. I tried steam cleaning, toothbrushes, bleach, bicarb, the lot, nothing worked. That was about 2.5-3 years ago and it's just coming to the point where I need to do it again
i use dettol anti bacterial mould and mildew remover. it gets rid of everything!!!!
Whitening bicarbonate toothpaste (arm and hammer from poundshop) and toothbrush. Might take a few attempts.
I use mould and mildew spray out of the pound shop, it's the astonish one in a green spray bottle, it's very very good
Edited by: "debbie26pet" 9th Dec 2013
I use washing up liquid and water (just like your washing the dishes) and it definitely removes it!
Thank you to everyone for all the replies.
Aimone

I use washing up liquid and water (just like your washing the dishes) and … I use washing up liquid and water (just like your washing the dishes) and it definitely removes it!

Thank you, I'll give it a try.
debbie26pet

I use mould and mildew spray out of the pound shop, it's the astonish one … I use mould and mildew spray out of the pound shop, it's the astonish one in a green spray bottle, it's very very good

Thank you for the suggestion. I didn't think it would be OK to use on limestone.
pinkgbubbles

what about a steam cleaner x

It's worth a try, thank you.
Redleela

Thank you for the suggestion. I didn't think it would be OK to use on … Thank you for the suggestion. I didn't think it would be OK to use on limestone.

I can check in morning on my bottle see if any warnings
monkeyarse

I've used a grout pen before- I got it from Tesco for about a fiver. I … I've used a grout pen before- I got it from Tesco for about a fiver. I tried steam cleaning, toothbrushes, bleach, bicarb, the lot, nothing worked. That was about 2.5-3 years ago and it's just coming to the point where I need to do it again

That's what I feared! Think I'll try the other options before I reach for a grout pen. Thank you.
I read on one of the forums on MSE that shaving foam left on for a few mins was meant to work. I can't see how & I've never tried it but it can't hurt if you have it at home anyway.
A paste made from washing up powder and left over night, depending on where it is, u can apply a wet paper towel to prevent drying
Diluted bleach in a spray bottle 50 /50 leave for 15 mins
i then use a body scrub glove from pound land
lightly scrub the grout and rinse off with the shower works a treat
i have Tavertine tiles and always cleaned them this way
even though your not supposed to

if you have a spare tile or a piece of tile , spray it with the diluted bleach to see what happens
can you please let me know which one works
min123

can you please let me know which one works

Hi, I'll let you know how I get on sometime next week - I have laryngitis at the moment so I don't feel like attacking the tiles just yet.
the pinky peach colour is bacteria from your skin. you need to clean or ideally replace the grout with antibacterial grout. then seal the travertine and grout with a sealer. clean only with ph neutral cleaner. bleach cleaners will damage travertine and kill the protection of the sealer.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants