What can you do with watch with magnetic north

Found 19th Jul
I have been looking at a Casio watch and they make a big deal that it has magnetic north what can this do
Community Updates
AskAccessories
Top comments
If you bought two of them, you could use them for water divining in a survival situation.
Or if you wore one of the watches upside down. When you placed your wrists on top of each other, you would levitate.
15 Comments
It can tell the time and tell you where magnetic north is
steve.t25 m ago

It can tell the time and tell you where magnetic north is

yes, but what are the advantages of knowing this.
mrnehru32 m ago

Pretty simple, just ask yourself the question "Would I ever need to know where magnetic North is?".

If the answer is "Not really" then there are none.

If the answer is "That would actually come in quite handy" then you would surely be aware of the advantages.

Did you really need to create a thread for this?
If you bought two of them, you could use them for water divining in a survival situation.
Or if you wore one of the watches upside down. When you placed your wrists on top of each other, you would levitate.
RossD8923 m ago

Pretty simple, just ask yourself the question "Would I ever need to know …Pretty simple, just ask yourself the question "Would I ever need to know where magnetic North is?".If the answer is "Not really" then there are none.If the answer is "That would actually come in quite handy" then you would surely be aware of the advantages.Did you really need to create a thread for this?

So it is really a marketing gimmick. i would not in any way gain from this knowledge.

Scientia potentia est
Edited by: "mrnehru" 19th Jul
mrnehru40 m ago

So it is really a marketing gimmick. i would not in any way gain from this …So it is really a marketing gimmick. i would not in any way gain from this knowledge.Scientia potentia est

What?!

My car can tow a caravan. I will likely never use that feature - does that make it a marketing gimmick, or just a feature you don't need?
adam_holcombe10 m ago

What?! My car can tow a caravan. I will likely never use that feature - …What?! My car can tow a caravan. I will likely never use that feature - does that make it a marketing gimmick, or just a feature you don't need?

This of course depends if it has the latent capability or you paid extra for the towing pins, but i see the point you are making and it has a certain amount of validity
As said, if you dont know what it is then you dont really need it.
mrnehru3 h, 20 m ago

I could see it being useful if you where to parachute into the middle of the Peak District with no other navigation aids other than your trusty casio magnetic north watch....... find north with it, if you want to walk to Mablethorpe turn to the right, turn left if you want Liverpool, walk south for Birmingham...... don't go north otherwise you will end up in a strange place called Scotland
I think Father Christmas has one, to navigate his way home
Toptrumpet29 m ago

I think Father Christmas has one, to navigate his way home

The best answer of all.
mrnehru7 h, 27 m ago

So it is really a marketing gimmick. i would not in any way gain from this …So it is really a marketing gimmick. i would not in any way gain from this knowledge.Scientia potentia est

In what way do they make a 'big deal' of having this feature?
Compasses point to magnetic north, which is not actually true north. Serious orienteering requires that you make adjustments or else you'll end up in the wrong place. I suspect it's a marketing gimmick.
Modern world not too much. Go back 10 years or so and it was pretty handy.
Gps devices for walking were insanely priced so planned route with map and compass as a backup.
Even now I someone is doing a serious route they'll take a map and compass as backup.
Pandamansays2 h, 20 m ago

Compasses point to magnetic north, which is not actually true north. …Compasses point to magnetic north, which is not actually true north. Serious orienteering requires that you make adjustments or else you'll end up in the wrong place. I suspect it's a marketing gimmick.

I bothered to use Google, unlike OP, and found out that you can adjust it to be much more accurate.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants