What car insurance company offered you the best quote on your first car?

Found 25th Apr
I know this can be highly variable but just curious. Currently, morethan seem to be offering me (20yr old student) the cheapest quote for a 2006 seat ibiza or vw polo (about £1.8k) but that's only after using a couple of price comparison websites. Can't really check every website, there's too many!
Community Updates
22 Comments
My bank at the time, (lloyds) were significantly cheaper than everyone else, for my partner the co op were the cheapest. I also did a pass plus course which gave me a years no claims straightaway which helped a lot, well worth the cost, some councils even offer discounts on doing it.
Tesco with a box was just under 1000 that's was 4 years ago
Have you tried 1st Central as they always seem pretty cheap for me.
Tick the box to allow top prices insurers to contact you. I had a quote of just over £1000, admiral called me and it came down to £831 on a corsa. The couldn’t come close to beat price on second year Hastings were cheaper by a long way. Have you tried adding an experienced named driver that helped me by about £100. Good luck!!
Try and find an insurance broker in your area they are usually the best people who can help you save a bit of your insurance otherwise you'll have to fit a box. In your own name you're looking at about £1300 - £1800 on the cars you have said (without the box).

You can also see if the pass plus makes a difference, it costs about £100 to do with your driving instructor and is the same as having a 1 year no claims discount but not all insurance companies accept them.
Edited by: "tiki3471" 25th Apr
Always Hastings direct in my area, you will find it depends on where you live mostly, I put same insurance the next little town up from me, 10 minute walk and the cheapest insurance was not insuring I'm that area and next cheapest was £300 more,. This is for many reasons mainly crime and claims in that area high for the company that is cheaper in other town
Admiral / bell / elephant
Something new I found Google topcashabxk car insurance you enter details like you would on moneysupermarket and they give the same results and cashback (£30 on 192£ for me)
my was direct line. I will keep saying it... small cars are not always the cheapest to insure. especially polo and ibiza, most of the chavs and boy racers drive those

My first car was 1.8 mondeo, it was cheaper than anything smaller in size
You may want to re-think the 'I dont have the time' in favour of paying less. I have a 17 year old paying £800pa for a 1ltr Hyundai i10 fully comp. Quotes ranged to over £3000. The policy is an Admiral Multicar which may not be an option for you but if you can group family cars onto one policy at one address, it helps.

Use comparison sites.

Try putting older adults (with a clean license) on. Doesnt matter if they will drive it. A lot of insurers like older adults on the policy.

Look at the excess and try raising it voluntarily.

Get rid of the extras. Hire car, personal insurance, road side assistance etc. Look elsewhere of HUKD for Motor Legal cover for £9.99pa posted a few days ago. Look elsewhere for roadside assistance.

Yes it takes effort but its very rewarding effort. Insurers love people who think it's too much effort.
Hastings direct and hasting essential came back miles cheaper than anyone else.

We chose hastings essential:

i pay £650 fully comp. everything includedon a citreon c1
my partner passed his test last month and im on provisional licence and thats for both of us.
Hastings with TCB = £580 on 10yr old Fiesta no NCB but named driver for 2 yrs on another policy. Rural postcode. 2 Older drivers named on policy.
£450, 22, 3 years no claims, Hastings direct
For a new car it was Admiral and for an older car like a mk2 gold it was 1st central.
30 now and got a 4.6 V8 Mustang and it's just over £200 with classic line insurance, they don't even care about no claims either :D.
Edited by: "MIDURIX" 25th Apr
First thing, consider a car with a really small engine like a 1.0l as this will provide a cheaper quote.

Set the excess as high as you can afford to pay in the event of a blameworthy claim.

Consider getting a box fitted.

Add your parents, brothers, sisters, grandparents and anyone else related to you at the same address as named drivers (you must be the policy holder) this will cost you £6-10 per person but will bring down your premium as it lowers the percentage time you will be driving the car especially if they have been driving for many years.

Where you live and where you keep the car has a massive impact too, live in an area with lots of car crime or high accident stats and your insurance will be much higher, this can also include car write offs for say previously flooded areas. Keeping the car on a drive or in a garage can lower your premium (make sure you keep it where you state you do).

Look for cashback deals on tcb or quidco

Pay in lump sum (paying monthly will cost much more).

When your over 21 insurance drops a little, when your over 25 it drops quite a bit and more significantly at 30.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 25th Apr
My son and daughter used insurance broker(s) for their first cars. There are also insurers that do not appear on comparison websites e.g. Directline.. try and get a second (parent?) named on the policy, it definitely reduces the premium.
Unfortunately I find the largest impacting variable on an insurance quote is your address. If you live in an affluent well of area and likely have money yourself its cheap. If your from a poor area and skint they want 3k a year..
I can do a quote for a 10 minute drive down the road and more than half my cheapest quote.
There should be an option to choose to not be covered for theft and then have standardised prices. have an accident and it goes up a set amount, a 2nd then same again.
If they are looking at any statics other than theft/vandalism rate and past accidents/penalty then its blatant discrimination and should be illegal. They shouldn't be able to assume that because your 20 you are more liekly to crash.
Deaa8 h, 58 m ago

Unfortunately I find the largest impacting variable on an insurance quote …Unfortunately I find the largest impacting variable on an insurance quote is your address. If you live in an affluent well of area and likely have money yourself its cheap. If your from a poor area and skint they want 3k a year.. I can do a quote for a 10 minute drive down the road and more than half my cheapest quote.There should be an option to choose to not be covered for theft and then have standardised prices. have an accident and it goes up a set amount, a 2nd then same again.If they are looking at any statics other than theft/vandalism rate and past accidents/penalty then its blatant discrimination and should be illegal. They shouldn't be able to assume that because your 20 you are more liekly to crash.

Why not, because it’s a proven fact that you are significantly more likely to crash at 20 than at 30. Why? Because of many factors, maturity, assessment of risk, experience and probably many other factors.

Also there are plenty of affluent areas with extremely high quotes because all the skint people are knicking their cars to chop for parts.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 26th Apr
cmdr_elito43 m ago

Why not, because it’s a proven fact that you are significantly more likely …Why not, because it’s a proven fact that you are significantly more likely to crash at 20 than at 30. Why? Because of many factors, maturity, assessment of risk, experience and probably many other factors.Also there are plenty of affluent areas with extremely high quotes because all the skint people are knicking their cars to chop for parts.

Yeah but that doesn't mean every 20 year old is a wreckless driver; it's a correlation, not a causative relationship. Why should eveyone have to suffer? Instead, everyone should start off with reasonable car insurance and a telematics, if wreckless driving is recorded/ a blameworthy claim, then it would be fair to go higher..
mohsin03107 h, 27 m ago

Yeah but that doesn't mean every 20 year old is a wreckless driver; it's a …Yeah but that doesn't mean every 20 year old is a wreckless driver; it's a correlation, not a causative relationship. Why should eveyone have to suffer? Instead, everyone should start off with reasonable car insurance and a telematics, if wreckless driving is recorded/ a blameworthy claim, then it would be fair to go higher..

Well it’s how companies approach risk, how society/government approaches risk. If an area hasn’t flooded before it’s considered not a risk and if it’s flooded a few times it’s really risky. House insurances will go up or down based on this (plus other factors).

So if 20 year olds had never crashed then there would be no data or ability to assess risk, therefore a low premium would be the likely result, but because loads have crashed and continue to crash everyday there is that correlation and therefore a high premium is a result. Unfortunately if you are a sensible driver you will be contributing to cover the costs/risk associated with the other idiots in your age group. If all of your age group suddenly become sensible/exceptionally competent and don’t have accidents premiums will end up falling. That’s why telematics offer lower premiums because it’s now been around enough to prove that it’s a more sensible group within your age group that opt for that and as a result don’t have so many accidents, however they still have accidents and make claims due to other factors such as inexperience.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 27th Apr
I can also say that having driven over 500,000 miles in my 13 years of driving, age does play a considerable part in ones ability to drive safely. At 20 my attitude to risk was almost it won’t happen to me, I was never an idiot driving 70 in a 30 or anything like that but still had 3 accidents (2 non blameworthy and 1 partial) and a car fire which I suffered burns in and had to have a skin graft. That all happened in my early 20’s and as a result I have adapted due to my experience to ensure those and similar situations are dealt with in a better manner next time.

Car fire = don’t buy French cars, notoriously known for poor wiring, I won’t even hire one either
Stopping in country lanes to allow other vehicles to pass, don’t pull in behind vans they may decide to reverse for no reason, ignore you beeping, not look in their drivers mirror which you can clearly see, despite leaving a big gap of almost a car length they may reverse into you
Try and listen for vehicles travelling stupidly fast round blind corners in a 10mph zone (you will hear the high revs) even though you were doing on 5mph and stopped and they hit you
Be aware that on very narrow blind bends timing may be crucial to whether you can see a vehicle in time to stop even at low speed, so slowing down ridiculously may be the only course on really difficult tight bends and if your on the inside of a corner steer in and brake you are likely to slip due to left wheels being on mud on the road in a country lane
cmdr_elito10 h, 9 m ago

Why not, because it’s a proven fact that you are significantly more likely …Why not, because it’s a proven fact that you are significantly more likely to crash at 20 than at 30. Why? Because of many factors, maturity, assessment of risk, experience and probably many other factors.Also there are plenty of affluent areas with extremely high quotes because all the skint people are knicking their cars to chop for parts.

Regardless of whether is a fact, its discrimination and stereotyping. The trend may support it but it can't be said for a fact that the OP as an individual is more likely to crash than a 30 year old, based on that alone they shouldn't be allowed to charge them more.
Black people in the USA commit more than half of the countries murders despite being around 10-15% of the population. That doesn't they put black suspects first when investigating a murder as that would be ridiculous.
I get what your saying, its what the stats support but until higher risk has been proven by either telematics or history of claims/accidents they should simply have to take that risk on the chin and make the money up on people who are a proven risk, not make the assumption of risk based on the group they are from. They have already decided that can't be done for men/women despite men as a group being more risk so why can they do it on age? (and it is age, not experience as a brand new 40 year old driver is way cheaper than a new 17yr old one) its simply unfair.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants