What car to get?

I need a new car but dont know what one to get. So im looking for reviews of cars from geniune people like yourselves. So what car do you own and whats it like to drive etc?. What would you mark it out of 10. Thanks for all suggestions.

45 Comments

Do you have a budget? Are you wanting new or secondhand?

Original Poster

starsparkle2311;5336113

one with 4 wheels.........

lol yeh why didnt i think of that :thumbsup:

Original Poster

bellabonkers;5336119

Do you have a budget? Are you wanting new or secondhand?

my budget is £20,000 preferably new

Toyota Avensis :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Niafromwales;5336138

you got one? whats it like to drive? marks out of 10 for drive, comfort etc?

depends on the sort of driving you do.
Do you do lots of miles, and need something reliable with good mpg?
Or just something fast and furious to go down the shops in?

Original Poster

bigflump;5336150

depends on the sort of driving you do. Do you do lots of miles, and need … depends on the sort of driving you do. Do you do lots of miles, and need something reliable with good mpg?Or just something fast and furious to go down the shops in?

anything really. do less than 4000 miles a year. so a good little runner for short distances. and it needs to be quick off the mark as i live just off a very major dangerous road and need to be safe getting out but it can be a big or small car, basically just want to know if anyone has actually ever experienced a good car

hmm...well I don't like my ford KA anymore....I love my bf's audi but thats too expensive so I can't help any more than that.

corriessvk;5336144

you got one? whats it like to drive? marks out of 10 for drive, comfort … you got one? whats it like to drive? marks out of 10 for drive, comfort etc?

One of the guys in work has it as a company car, so its great for long miles. He's never had any problems with it. I've only driven it a couple of times, but its niiice!! I'd give it a solid 9/10. Toyota's are usually pretty reliable too.
Not sure how much it would be to buy new, I suppose there's lots of add ons, which would bump the price up, but thats typical of any car I suppose.

Original Poster

bellabonkers;5336228

hmm...well I don't like my ford KA anymore....I love my bf's audi but … hmm...well I don't like my ford KA anymore....I love my bf's audi but thats too expensive so I can't help any more than that.

im not keen on the Ka either. i liked the audi a5 but the one i wanted was £22,000 second hand. thanks for the help anyways :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Niafromwales;5336241

One of the guys in work has it as a company car, so its great for long … One of the guys in work has it as a company car, so its great for long miles. He's never had any problems with it. I've only driven it a couple of times, but its niiice!! I'd give it a solid 9/10. Toyota's are usually pretty reliable too.Not sure how much it would be to buy new, I suppose there's lots of add ons, which would bump the price up, but thats typical of any car I suppose.

thanks for that ill take a look.

Original Poster

thanks for all the help so far :thumbsup:. im going to have to go now, will be back in the morning to see if anyone else replies. night night

Honda Civic. Build quality is great, loads of gadgets (if you like that sort of thing), very quick, lovely and comfy and very roomy.

We got 2, the Ex which comes with Alloys and Sat Nav and the Type R which is super quick. Love em!

Edit - Currently looking at the Nissan Quashqui+2 so if anyone has one would love to hear what you think:thumbsup:

I have a 1999 Seat Cordoba 2 dr Coupe with private plate T ** MAD, lol

Very nice car, group 8, 1.6 ltr, sun roof etc.

Only problem is you can't buy it anymore but very happy with it.

I cant fault the RX8, very nice looking car, well equipped with all the gadgets, incredibly fast (:oops:when required:oops:) and can easily seat four people, they can be picked up at reasonable prices too.

Only downside is that is very thirsty on the old petrol if you redline it too often.

edit (actually that last bit is a lie - its a very thirsy car regardless of how its driven)

JasonMason;5336831

I cant fault the RX8, very nice looking car, well equipped with all the … I cant fault the RX8, very nice looking car, well equipped with all the gadgets, incredibly fast (:oops:when required:oops:) and can easily seat four people, they can be picked up at reasonable prices too.Only downside is that is very thirsty on the old petrol if you redline it too often.

was gonna say the Mazda RX8 - weird huh:thumbsup:

got a honda civic new shape, great drive, loads of space inside, love it, would defo recommend

kjbenja;5336703

I have a 1999 Seat Cordoba 2 dr Coupe with private plate T ** MAD, … I have a 1999 Seat Cordoba 2 dr Coupe with private plate T ** MAD, lolVery nice car, group 8, 1.6 ltr, sun roof etc.Only problem is you can't buy it anymore but very happy with it.

I would say go for the Leon instead since you can no longer get this one. I only had it as a courtesy car when my ibiza was getting fixed but racked up the mileage in it and loved it. Very confy and very quick.

3rd vote for the Honda Civic here ......

I drive the Civic Type R GT and it's a great car for many reasons.

And maybe just within your budget depending on spec :thumbsup:

KazzyD;5336375

Honda Civic. Build quality is great, loads of gadgets (if you like that … Honda Civic. Build quality is great, loads of gadgets (if you like that sort of thing), very quick, lovely and comfy and very roomy.We got 2, the Ex which comes with Alloys and Sat Nav and the Type R which is super quick. Love em!Edit - Currently looking at the Nissan Quashqui+2 so if anyone has one would love to hear what you think:thumbsup:

vikkiwathall;5337874

got a honda civic new shape, great drive, loads of space inside, love it, … got a honda civic new shape, great drive, loads of space inside, love it, would defo recommend

corriessvk;5336122

my budget is £20,000 preferably new

Scirocco GT TDI, I love mine, not as quick as I would like but drives superbly and the spec is decent for the money, if you can stretch there is, as ever, an abundance of extras

Downside, 8 week lead time, classified as a sports car not a hatchback so insurance is higher than you would expect (£700 for me with 5 NCB)

I had a Focus CMax and it was the worst car I have ever driven. I've just traded for a Qashqai, and in terms of driving, comfort and size I'd give it 100%. I've not really had it liong enough to comment on reliability, but so far I'd say it's the best car I've ever had. The second best car I;ve ever had was a Peugeot 106. It was tiny was a great drive and it never once let me down.

I got the new fiesta TDCi 1.4, very happy with car also looks good i think, and saves me a fortune in fuel. Work is a 70mile round trip a day.

and only £35 a year for raod tax!

starsparkle2311;5336113

Won't they need a spare one too?

You really need to select your' own car, they are like football teams, everyone has their favourites.

Most Jap' cars are very reliable, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda etc.... and most German ones too, BMW, Merc', VW's. :thumbsup:

You'll also need to decide if you'd prefer a brand new one, or a used one?

You could get the hottest deal this week, over £7k under budget..

hotukdeals.com/ite…-ti

Original Poster

Shambolic;5338515

You really need to select your' own car, they are like football teams, … You really need to select your' own car, they are like football teams, everyone has their favourites.Most Jap' cars are very reliable, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda etc.... and most German ones too, BMW, Merc', VW's. You'll also need to decide if you'd prefer a brand new one, or a used one?You could get the hottest deal this week, over £7k under budget.. http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/406437/brand-new-09-ford-focus-1-8-tdci-ti

yeh my husband was saying to get a german car because everyone keeps saying how good they are.

thanks for everyones help. rep left. i havnt given it to everyone as it says ive given too much but will do it when im allowed.

Banned

pugeot 307 is a nice car to drive im thinking of getting myself one

Ford mondeo isnt really a nice car to drive couldn't get a nice feel with it (could be the faxct that it was an automatic)

PabloInTheSky;5338846

pugeot 307 is a nice car to drive im thinking of getting myself oneFord … pugeot 307 is a nice car to drive im thinking of getting myself oneFord mondeo isnt really a nice car to drive couldn't get a nice feel with it (could be the faxct that it was an automatic)

307 is the worst car I've ever known, I had one and had nothing but problems with it, thought fine just a one off, every company makes them, then 2 friends had them, exactly the same, endless electrical problems, fault codes, needed a new exhaust after 3 years, CD deck broke, leather wore through in no time at all, "pollution" errors, constant limited performance mode at the slightest problem, eventually ended up with a water leak that nobody could find so part ex'd it for the Scirocco.

That's before I even start on how useless Peugeot (multiple garages) were at decoding ecu faults, I even went in to have a turbo chip changed which for anybody that knows is about the size of a rubber and is held in place with 1 screw, Peugeot insisted they had to do it, I watched them, 5mins tops, then they tried to charge me for an hours labour.

Would always say "nothing was wrong" would drive away and it would start again, their answer to everything is "reset the ecu" only masks the problem until it returns.

Worst cars in the world would never ever buy a french car again, they are cheap because they are made of cheap materials.

Just my experience of course but the fact the nearly all the same faults arose on 3 separate 307s seems very odd to me.

Banned

ms2005;5342985

307 is the worst car I've ever known, I had one and had nothing but … 307 is the worst car I've ever known, I had one and had nothing but problems with it, thought fine just a one off, every company makes them, then 2 friends had them, exactly the same, endless electrical problems, fault codes, needed a new exhaust after 3 years, CD deck broke, leather wore through in no time at all, "pollution" errors, constant limited performance mode at the slightest problem, eventually ended up with a water leak that nobody could find so part ex'd it for the Scirocco.That's before I even start on how useless Peugeot (multiple garages) were at decoding ecu faults, I even went in to have a turbo chip changed which for anybody that knows is about the size of a rubber and is held in place with 1 screw, Peugeot insisted they had to do it, I watched them, 5mins tops, then they tried to charge me for an hours labour.Would always say "nothing was wrong" would drive away and it would start again, their answer to everything is "reset the ecu" only masks the problem until it returns.Worst cars in the world would never ever buy a french car again, they are cheap because they are made of cheap materials.Just my experience of course but the fact the nearly all the same faults arose on 3 separate 307s seems very odd to me.

thanks for the heads up dnt think ill buy now :lol:

I've had my Audi A3 2.0 TDI 170 Sport from new (08 plate), love it, bombproof build quality, torquey diesel engine, great residuals and a real pleasure to drive (unless it rains, then it wheelspins a bit if you hammer the throttle, I say wheelspins a bit, its a lot actually :oops:)

pick a VW, Honda or Ford x

starsparkle2311;5336113

Reliant Robin:w00t:.........3 wheels outside and the steering wheel inside:whistling:

SAAB 9-3 Aero

Lovely motors, or an Alfa Romeo, love my Alfa and will deffo buy again.

Niafromwales;5336138

totally agree i have now bought 2 and i would change to another its magic

Banned

I would go against convention and writeups and look at the Alfa Romeo range

Mito is a supermini looks cool
156 and GT both stand out from the crowd (GT is gorgeous shape)
the spider is a soft top sports and vey stylish

people will always **** off alfas (jealousy)

Banned

iCodd;5343641

SAAB 9-3 AeroLovely motors, or an Alfa Romeo, love my Alfa and will deffo … SAAB 9-3 AeroLovely motors, or an Alfa Romeo, love my Alfa and will deffo buy again.

What alfa have you got , I think the range is superb- see above

Banned

Didn't know 5lag was a bad word

Original Poster

thanks for all the pros and cons of cars. i think ive made up my mind now after going to some test drives. :thumbsup:

merc clk convertible...used but within ur budget if used. dead comfy but as its 3.2 litre its heavy on petrol but awesome as its convertible. smaller engine sizes available.

or honda civic...get the r type. i have normal 1.8 SE or something. wicked boot space and fab dash etc.

My dads a mechanic of 45yrs experience, and has just worked on the new Honda Civic. Says it is not a patch on the previous model.

Audi A3 TDI

goldmax;5343763

What alfa have you got , I think the range is superb- see above

Currently an lovely red 146, but will be upgrading to a 159 or a Brera soon.

EDIT: The Alfa Brera has to be the sexiest car for under £20K surely?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. GOT Leaks again715
    2. How much would you pay for this chair?1517
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764096
    4. How dangerous is Donald trump?68

See more discussions