What changes have you made in your life (if any) relating to this virus?

Posted 14th Mar
A few things I have been doing myself that are in my control:

• If buying canned drinks, washing the top part around the rim with hot water and soap, same with any kinds of bottles bought from the shop.
  • Focusing on an increase of Vitamin C, D, A and Zinc (primarily from food sources, not so much synthetic).
  • Being sure not to touch my eyes, mouth or nose.
  • Not buying takeaway coffee (or any coffee outside for that matter).

I've always washed my hands before eating, so nothing new there. Maybe some of what I am doing is a bit extreme. My focus is on the vulnerable people around me.

I'm just wondering what kind of changes you have made, if any?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
I'm not seeing Nanna anymore, TBH it's a blessing. She's a miserable old thing and I just do it out of obligation. Give her a quick call instead, no more of her tea with powered milk. Yuk.
I've stopped eating Chinese food. That'll teach 'em for infecting the World
I've stopped reading the threads in misc.
Edited by: "maccy1i" 14th Mar
Stay indoors and worry about my partner working in the NHS and worrying she doesn't get infected.
134 Comments
I go to fewer swinger's club nights.
I think that ought to be enough really unless things get really gruesome

To help mitigate the environmental impact. I wear my nitrile gloves inside-out too before discarding them.
My car shampoo has added ethically-sourced vitamin B12 so that's an added reassurance.

All-in-all. I feel that I'm doing my bit.
Edited by: "Erudite" 14th Mar
Spend more time on HUKD rather than out & about having a life.
I'm not seeing Nanna anymore, TBH it's a blessing. She's a miserable old thing and I just do it out of obligation. Give her a quick call instead, no more of her tea with powered milk. Yuk.
Stay indoors and worry about my partner working in the NHS and worrying she doesn't get infected.
I've stopped reading the threads in misc.
Edited by: "maccy1i" 14th Mar
Can I ask why you have stopped buying takeaway coffee as I can think of alot more sources you could catch the virus from...it’s not like your been given a reusable coffee cup/lid that somebody else has drank from!
I've stopped eating Chinese food. That'll teach 'em for infecting the World
Mich8ll814/03/2020 16:09

Can I ask why you have stopped buying takeaway coffee as I can think of …Can I ask why you have stopped buying takeaway coffee as I can think of alot more sources you could catch the virus from...it’s not like your been given a reusable coffee cup/lid that somebody else has drank from!

I don't know if the person who has handled the plastic lid has clean hands. They serve customers, handle money, and then turn around and make the coffee, putting the lid on it.
I bought a few day saver bus tickets so I can fulfill my bucket list of travelling the country in arriva double decker
Life’s short ya know,that’s one off the list
Cloeeez14/03/2020 16:39

Comment deleted

Not heard that one. Some people just have a better ability to fight something than others. A cold (as in coughing, sneezing etc) is actually the last stage of the infection.

I've not had a cold since 2011. I put that down to working in retail for 10 years of my life, facing hundreds of people a day and being exposed to who knows what has built my immune system up over the years. That and a healthy diet and exercise.
I found myself visiting supermarkets more and I have started injecting the hand sanitizer with a variety of viral strains but my favourite pastime is spraying toilet roll with my ultra hot chilli spray, hope this helps
Only thing I have done is that I bought a packet of paracetamol because we didn’t have any.
guru40414/03/2020 16:57

Not heard that one. Some people just have a better ability to fight …Not heard that one. Some people just have a better ability to fight something than others. A cold (as in coughing, sneezing etc) is actually the last stage of the infection. I've not had a cold since 2011. I put that down to working in retail for 10 years of my life, facing hundreds of people a day and being exposed to who knows what has built my immune system up over the years. That and a healthy diet and exercise.

That's probably to do with eating healthy and exercise so your immune system is good at eradicating it before any noticeable symptoms.
An immune system makes antibodies. Hence why a vaccine has a limited amount of the actual virus so your immune system can make antibodies to fight it. So if you catch it in future, your body already has a head start at fighting it.

The problem with the corona virus is that it is essentially a new virus so no one apart from the people who have already caught it and gotten over it, have antibodies for it. Hence why there is no vaccine for it.
People with good immune systems have nothing to worry about, their body will eradicate it and create antibodies for it incase they catch it a second time in which they will have a head start at fighting it off.

People who have a cold at least twice a year - as a cold virus is constantly evolving to match our immune systems evolving - these people have 'newer' antibodies for the newer strain of the cold/flu.
Hence why a flu shot is recommended each year as it's evolved from the year before.
It's a lot to do with superbugs and strains of viruses that are becoming immune to actual medication because people take them for stupid things.
A good immune system is one of the best things at tackling viruses so people should eat healthy and exercise like yourself.

Corona will kill a lot of people because it's highly infectious and no vaccine like the flu. But it will mostly be elderly and immune system compromised people.

This is from what I've read in books and medical pages anyway lol.
Sorry for the long reply it's just interesting how these things work and how a lot of people panic at what's on the media.
Jonathan_Dance6Hn14/03/2020 16:01

Stay indoors and worry about my partner working in the NHS and worrying …Stay indoors and worry about my partner working in the NHS and worrying she doesn't get infected.

Good luck too you both
Downtownmonkey14/03/2020 17:09

Only thing I have done is that I bought a packet of paracetamol because we …Only thing I have done is that I bought a packet of paracetamol because we didn’t have any.

My local Sainsburys had run out of paracetamol this morning.

I have started working from home and minimised going out only when necessary. Not going to panic stock up anything unless things get really ugly.
I’m doing hee haw
mogsog14/03/2020 15:53

I'm not seeing Nanna anymore, TBH it's a blessing. She's a miserable old …I'm not seeing Nanna anymore, TBH it's a blessing. She's a miserable old thing and I just do it out of obligation. Give her a quick call instead, no more of her tea with powered milk. Yuk.

Haha
I’ve been working out more
mogsog14/03/2020 15:53

I'm not seeing Nanna anymore, TBH it's a blessing. She's a miserable old …I'm not seeing Nanna anymore, TBH it's a blessing. She's a miserable old thing and I just do it out of obligation. Give her a quick call instead, no more of her tea with powered milk. Yuk.

Lol. She's probably feeling the same not having you come over all the time and having to pretend to enjoy your visit out of duty.

She tried to give you the hint for years with giving you terrible tea and powdered milk, but it obviously hadn't worked. Now she won't feeling guilty
mutley114/03/2020 17:56

Lol. She's probably feeling the same not having you come over all the …Lol. She's probably feeling the same not having you come over all the time and having to pretend to enjoy your visit out of duty.She tried to give you the hint for years with giving you terrible tea and powdered milk, but it obviously hadn't worked. Now she won't feeling guilty

Perhaps you're right, I don't take social queues easily. Perhaps absence makes the heart grow fonder. She'll have some jobs for me when I can see her again.
Edited by: "mogsog" 14th Mar
Started to ration myself to one sheet per poo whether I need it or not
bozo00714/03/2020 17:39

My local Sainsburys had run out of paracetamol this morning.I have started …My local Sainsburys had run out of paracetamol this morning.I have started working from home and minimised going out only when necessary. Not going to panic stock up anything unless things get really ugly.

They certainly will when you've run out of toilet roll. Get with the program!
bozo00714/03/2020 17:39

My local Sainsburys had run out of paracetamol this morning.I have started …My local Sainsburys had run out of paracetamol this morning.I have started working from home and minimised going out only when necessary. Not going to panic stock up anything unless things get really ugly.

Apparently China exports paracetamol and they have restricted the amount they are exporting so we may get a paracetamol shortage? We use ibuprofen so don't know if they will be affected.
SalfordCityRed14/03/2020 18:07

They certainly will when you've run out of toilet roll. Get with the …They certainly will when you've run out of toilet roll. Get with the program!

Well I can't get any rice from Sainsbury's. I went to see my dad in London today and I went to his local Sainsbury's but the pasta and rice shelf was completely empty. There was very few toothpaste left as well and I need to get some.
Derek_Fortescue_Shatwell14/03/2020 16:09

I've stopped eating Chinese food. That'll teach 'em for infecting the …I've stopped eating Chinese food. That'll teach 'em for infecting the World

Still supporting my Chinese food outlet, least I know I can get food from there & it hasn't been pillaged/looted like my local sainsburys ect.

I've stopped eating Chinese food. That'll teach 'em for infecting the …I've stopped eating Chinese food. That'll teach 'em for infecting the World

I ordered a Chinese and it turned up in record time, thanks.
paul.williamsA4v14/03/2020 16:29

I bought a few day saver bus tickets so I can fulfill my bucket list of …I bought a few day saver bus tickets so I can fulfill my bucket list of travelling the country in arriva double decker

Should have pushed the boat out and gone with stagecoach.

Ironic statement or not, their treatment of animals is absolutely dire and I find them too insular and backward to praise. They boil animals alive FFS, this is legal in China!
Erudite14/03/2020 15:49

I go to fewer swinger's club nights. I think that ought to be enough …I go to fewer swinger's club nights. I think that ought to be enough really unless things get really gruesomeTo help mitigate the environmental impact. I wear my nitrile gloves inside-out too before discarding them.My car shampoo has added ethically-sourced vitamin B12 so that's an added reassurance.All-in-all. I feel that I'm doing my bit.

A swinger's club can't be as much fun as a swingers' club.
mutley114/03/2020 18:28

Apparently China exports paracetamol and they have restricted the amount …Apparently China exports paracetamol and they have restricted the amount they are exporting so we may get a paracetamol shortage? We use ibuprofen so don't know if they will be affected.

A lot of the base ingredients are produced in China for many different medications.
mutley114/03/2020 18:31

Well I can't get any rice from Sainsbury's. I went to see my dad in …Well I can't get any rice from Sainsbury's. I went to see my dad in London today and I went to his local Sainsbury's but the pasta and rice shelf was completely empty. There was very few toothpaste left as well and I need to get some.

I grabbed one of the last few bags of rice from an Asian grocery store. There was a proper raid on them too.
JumpMan198014/03/2020 17:52

I’ve been working out more

Been active gym goer the last 6 yrs and now self isolating!
mutley114/03/2020 18:31

There was very few toothpaste left as well and I need to get some.

Do people plan on eating it or something?
tempt14/03/2020 20:00

I grabbed one of the last few bags of rice from an Asian grocery store. …I grabbed one of the last few bags of rice from an Asian grocery store. There was a proper raid on them too.

i am going again tomorrow to my local sainsburys and see if i can get some. i don't want a big bag and the asian stores tend to sell big bags. i only want 1 or 2 kg. i also don't want to pay more than sainsburys.

i may go again next week during the working day when people haven't had a chance to do their grocery shopping as they are all at work. i will also try lidl as that may be fine, i don't shop there but this is hard times
Edited by: "mutley1" 14th Mar
Nothing different as there is no need.

People should get a grip, cleaning isn't going to stop it.
Unless you mix with someone that has it then nothing you do is going to matter.
tempt14/03/2020 20:00

I grabbed one of the last few bags of rice from an Asian grocery store. …I grabbed one of the last few bags of rice from an Asian grocery store. There was a proper raid on them too.

The real sh*thouses are the people now hoarding gluten/dairy free products because others have otherwise stockpiled all the non free-from variants of certain items. Hoarding bog roll is one thing but I think a line has been crossed now.
mutley114/03/2020 20:13

i am going again tomorrow to my local sainsburys and see if i can get …i am going again tomorrow to my local sainsburys and see if i can get some. i don't want a big bag and the asian stores tend to sell big bags. i only want 1 or 2 kg. i also don't want to pay more than sainsburys.i may go again next week during the working day when people haven't had a chance to do their grocery shopping as they are all at work. i will also try lidl as that may be fine, i don't shop there but this is hard times

What's your location, perhaps we can go shop together?
SalfordCityRed14/03/2020 18:57

Ironic statement or not, their treatment of animals is absolutely dire and …Ironic statement or not, their treatment of animals is absolutely dire and I find them too insular and backward to praise. They boil animals alive FFS, this is legal in China!

Don't forget once a year in some towns they have some festival too where they skin animal's alive and they slowly die with no skin
joeydeacon14/03/2020 20:27

The real sh*thouses are the people now hoarding gluten/dairy free products …The real sh*thouses are the people now hoarding gluten/dairy free products because others have otherwise stockpiled all the non free-from variants of certain items. Hoarding bog roll is one thing but I think a line has been crossed now.

Hoarding should be a criminal offence.

40106679-b9P0b.jpg
40106679-I8Bei.jpg
40106679-Seb6G.jpg
Edited by: "tempt" 15th Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants