What cheese?? Burger and Nachos

Found 2nd Nov 2017
Hi guys,

This is a Silly question, I don't use cheese very often but I sometimes make nachos and burgers at home. I use cheddar cheese for the nachos and it does not melt on the nachos.

I would like recommendations for cheese for Nachos and for burgers so I can melt when making at home some times.. I've heard Monterey Jack is good but I can't seem to find it online on Sainsburys or Tesco.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
I microwave grated cheddar on Doritos for about a minute and it’s spot on!
If you are just melting it on nachos and not making a melted cheese dip use mozzarella it works for pizza
how are you cooking the nachos? If you stick it in the oven at a low 150 Celsius it will melt, or under the grill on medium it will melt quicker.
MIDURIX3 h, 19 m ago

how are you cooking the nachos? If you stick it in the oven at a low 150 …how are you cooking the nachos? If you stick it in the oven at a low 150 Celsius it will melt, or under the grill on medium it will melt quicker.

Oven I buy the grayed cheese from Sainsbury's think it is cheddar it takes a long time for the cheese to melt and sometimes the nachos are burnt I think it's the wrong cheese.

Any cheese reccomdatioms for burgers?
Edited by: "MrMan2011" 2nd Nov 2017
MrMan201135 m ago

Oven I buy the grayed cheese from Sainsbury's think it is cheddar it takes …Oven I buy the grayed cheese from Sainsbury's think it is cheddar it takes a long time for the cheese to melt and sometimes the nachos are burnt I think it's the wrong cheese.Any cheese reccomdatioms for burgers?

I find the grated stuff is normally dried out a bit so that could have something to do with it, but I've done nachos a bunch of times in my fan assisted cheap oven and its always cooked with whatever mature cheddar I have knocking around. For a burger I normally fry the burger as usual and stick a slice of mature cheddar (cut from a block, not pre sliced) straight onto the burger while it's still drying, that melts in no time on the heat.
We use cheddar cheese (Tickler - I just posted a deal!), grate it ourselves and heat the nachos in the oven on 210c until melted.

I don't read the Guardian but I do love Felicity Cloake's recipes. Here is her recipe theguardian.com/lif…hos
Use half mozzarella and half cheddar, you can normally buy pre-grated bags of it premixed (link).
The mozzarella adds melts fast and adds that gooey stringiness and the cheddar adds flavour.

Preheat the oven and keep it around 180C.
Thinly layer the nachos, sprinkle some of the grated cheese, add another thin layer of nachos then add the rest of the cheese.
Optional jalapeños or sliced chilis at this stage
Put on one of the lower shelves, that way it heats slower and more evenly.

Of course only use plain/salted tortilla chips and only add the sauces once its out of the oven.
I have used the following for nachos:

• Cheddar
  • American
  • Monterey Jack
  • Mozzarella
  • Brie
  • Gouda
  • Gruyère
  • Provolone.
  • Camembert
  • Reblochon
  • Fontina
  • Cheez Whiz (Not strictly cheese but handy for a filthy takeaway stylee meal)

My favourite is 70% Monterey Jack and 30% Vintage cheddar for the additional tang.
Asda and probably other supermarkets do a bag of greated fiery cheese its not too hot but its great melted onto nachos or garlic bread
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions