What colour sofa/wall/curtains would go with brown carpet and dinning table?

Found 19th May 2017
Hi,

I asking this question here as I am sure there are good interior designers or even people that are good at spotting a good living/dinning room design.

We currently have a brown carpet and a brown dinning table as well as cream colour wall paper. We would like to buy a new sofa and kind of redecorate it as the sofa we currently have is getting really old and it is a maroon colour. We were thinking of maybe putting a small fluffy carpet on top of the carpet that we currently have so it would match the sofa and the curtains. What would you suggest would suit the brown carpet. It also has a cream design on it ( Little spots). Don't want to make the room look small. Was thinking of Grey or Black but not really sure.

I was think of grey and purple cushions, vases and all ? Would it go well with brown carpet? and then get a purple curtain ?

Thank you for all in advance
Community Updates
22 Comments
Gray
if you have a smart phone. Download "Dulux Visualizer" ... you take a picture of your room then with the app you can try colour combinations.

I'd say black sofa and curtains and then red accessories (cushions, candles etc) just to brighten it up a bit
Dusky pink .... or personally id do a cream sofa with dusky pink throw / cushions. Is the carpet dark brown or light?
Duck egg type colour for a feature wall and decorative bits like vase, lamp etc........????
Original Poster
coopern1

Dusky pink .... or personally id do a cream sofa with dusky pink throw / … Dusky pink .... or personally id do a cream sofa with dusky pink throw / cushions. Is the carpet dark brown or light?

It is a light brown I would say with cream spots.
Original Poster
derekduggan

if you have a smart phone. Download "Dulux Visualizer" ... you take a … if you have a smart phone. Download "Dulux Visualizer" ... you take a picture of your room then with the app you can try colour combinations.

Thanks Ill try it tonight
Original Poster
miducky

Duck egg type colour for a feature wall and decorative bits like vase, … Duck egg type colour for a feature wall and decorative bits like vase, lamp etc........????

Was thinking of duck egg?blue but we currently have a brown with blue design and the room looks abit too dark want to open up the room and make it look bigger. We have a french door for the entrance to the garden so have a lot of light coming in especially during the summer but as it is mostly raining in England not a lot of light comes in for the rest of the 11 months or so..
Original Poster
I was think of grey sofa and purple cushions, vases and all ? Would it go well with brown carpet? and then get a purple curtain ? Would it be better with a fluffy carpet for the coffee table ?
Faz10

I was think of grey sofa and purple cushions, vases and all ? Would it go … I was think of grey sofa and purple cushions, vases and all ? Would it go well with brown carpet? and then get a purple curtain ? Would it be better with a fluffy carpet for the coffee table ?

Can u not put a photo of your carpet on here ? We would b able to see if grey went with the carpet.
A brown leather sofa, then as it 'wears in' you'll get the luxurious creases and slight colour variances. Leather is much easier to care for too.
Edited by: "mrty" 19th May 2017
Original Poster
coopern1

Can u not put a photo of your carpet on here ? We would b able to see if … Can u not put a photo of your carpet on here ? We would b able to see if grey went with the carpet.

http://tinypic.com/r/23uzpt5/9
Not sure how to upload a pic on here, but searched for a bit and found a website so hopefully you can see the picture now
Original Poster
http://i63.tinypic.com/23uzpt5.jpg[/img]http://tinypic.com/r/23uzpt5/9
Original Poster
mrty

A brown leather sofa, then as it 'wears in' you'll get the luxurious … A brown leather sofa, then as it 'wears in' you'll get the luxurious creases and slight colour variances. Leather is much easier to care for too.

Wont it look old fashioned ? Would like a modern feel to it
I would go cream fabric sofa ( not too light cream )and duck egg accessories
Think brown and black will be too dark
Faz10

Was thinking of duck egg?blue but we currently have a brown with blue … Was thinking of duck egg?blue but we currently have a brown with blue design and the room looks abit too dark want to open up the room and make it look bigger. We have a french door for the entrance to the garden so have a lot of light coming in especially during the summer but as it is mostly raining in England not a lot of light comes in for the rest of the 11 months or so..

We just painted one wall "stepping stone" by Coral paint and it is a lovely light duck egg colour and our room still feels big and light. Rest of walls are magnolia, we have light mocha colour carpet, dark brown leather settees and dark wood tv unit and side board, duck egg cushions, lamp, mix of cream, dark wood and duck egg photo frames.....if that tickles your fancy at all. Good luck!
Edited by: "miducky" 19th May 2017
Faz10

Wont it look old fashioned ? Would like a modern feel to it

​ The fashion (old or new) depends on the style you buy. Leather is the material. Hard wearing, naturally stain resistant and whereas cloth upholstery looks worn after a while, leather looks comfortable and has character.

Look at this on eBay ebay.co.uk/itm…746
Forget about what goes well, choose what colours you like best as what does it matter what anyone else thinks? It is your house and you got to live in it.

Personally i like neutral colours for furnishings and walls, and red sofas
mutley1

Forget about what goes well, choose what colours you like best as what … Forget about what goes well, choose what colours you like best as what does it matter what anyone else thinks? It is your house and you got to live in it.Personally i like neutral colours for furnishings and walls, and red sofas

​ Good advice.. Neutral colours with accent colours on the cushions, curtains and any accessories...much cheaper if you change your mind.
teachelly

I would go cream fabric sofa ( not too light cream )and duck egg … I would go cream fabric sofa ( not too light cream )and duck egg accessories Think brown and black will be too dark

I agree but dusky pink accessories
Original Poster
Thanks all for your suggestions.Really appreciate it
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions