What criteria must a merchant/retailer meet to be acceptable on HUKD?

Posted 4th Jul 2019
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Lots of commission
adamspencer9504/07/2019 21:53

i will look forward to hearing their explanation of which rule i broke if …i will look forward to hearing their explanation of which rule i broke if they do

Would you like a list ? Think I've received just about their whole stock of churlish , nonsensical phrases to "justify" removal of my inoffensive comments - Off topic , threadspoiling , and respect other members are just a few of the totally non applicable phrases they lazily use . Still its their playground I guess they can do want they want .
Edited by: "rogparki" 4th Jul 2019
20 Comments
New HUKD FAQ page suggests "If you post a deal for a brand new merchant, or for a store which is based overseas, we’ll often check that merchants trade history and reviews..." and previous mod responses suggested "acceptable" trading history / feedback was critical, plus merchant self-promo or history of same would instantly result in removal.
Lots of commission
adamspencer9504/07/2019 21:41

Lots of commission

This comment will be removed.

Unfortunately the forum moderators don't take kindly to "Chinese whispers".
adam_holcombe04/07/2019 21:44

This comment will be removed. Unfortunately the forum moderators don't …This comment will be removed. Unfortunately the forum moderators don't take kindly to "Chinese whispers".

i will look forward to hearing their explanation of which rule i broke if they do
adamspencer9504/07/2019 21:53

i will look forward to hearing their explanation of which rule i broke if …i will look forward to hearing their explanation of which rule i broke if they do

Would you like a list ? Think I've received just about their whole stock of churlish , nonsensical phrases to "justify" removal of my inoffensive comments - Off topic , threadspoiling , and respect other members are just a few of the totally non applicable phrases they lazily use . Still its their playground I guess they can do want they want .
Edited by: "rogparki" 4th Jul 2019
It only depends on whether they can earn money from people clicking on a "Get Deal" link.

Case in point; my VPN blocks all that sh1ne but check how many links go to a1win.net and other affiliate sites.
Roger_Irrelevant05/07/2019 02:39

It only depends on whether they can earn money from people clicking on a …It only depends on whether they can earn money from people clicking on a "Get Deal" link.Case in point; my VPN blocks all that sh1ne but check how many links go to a1win.net and other affiliate sites.

Amazingly they even put an affiliate link on the one in your post
Edited by: "adam_holcombe" 5th Jul 2019
This is what we consider when reviewing a merchant for inclusion on hotukdeals:

Do they have sufficient contact information (static telephone number for customer queries) and/or business address?
Do that have sufficient feedback readily available online (reviews, social media presence etc)?
Are they a limited company at Companies House (with filed accounts)?
Do they have a sufficient length of trading?
What is the community demand for them?
Is this something our community is likely to engage with (thinking as consumers rather than businesses)
Would the merchant in general fit our site rules/regulations?
On their site are their T&Cs/Privacy Policy etc all in order?
Do they ship to the UK?

We apply some of the above criteria too when considering non-UK merchants and those we have allowed on site were on a trial basis to see how they went and we took it from there.

It is pretty difficult to have concrete criteria or minimum thresholds for this so we need to take all the above into consideration and then make a decision.
Jason05/07/2019 20:59

This is what we consider when reviewing a merchant for inclusion on …This is what we consider when reviewing a merchant for inclusion on hotukdeals: Do they have sufficient contact information (static telephone number for customer queries) and/or business address?Do that have sufficient feedback readily available online (reviews, social media presence etc)?Are they a limited company at Companies House (with filed accounts)?Do they have a sufficient length of trading?What is the community demand for them? Is this something our community is likely to engage with (thinking as consumers rather than businesses)Would the merchant in general fit our site rules/regulations? On their site are their T&Cs/Privacy Policy etc all in order? Do they ship to the UK? We apply some of the above criteria too when considering non-UK merchants and those we have allowed on site were on a trial basis to see how they went and we took it from there. It is pretty difficult to have concrete criteria or minimum thresholds for this so we need to take all the above into consideration and then make a decision.

So every time someone posts a deal you have to look into all the above?
SaltyExpert05/07/2019 21:03

So every time someone posts a deal you have to look into all the above? …So every time someone posts a deal you have to look into all the above?

Most of that information is contained on the merchants site so as soon as you land on their page you get an idea within a few seconds whether they're likely to be acceptable. Some merchants are borderline so we speak to a colleague within the team for a second opinion or if we think we might have overlooked something.

One of the things we've been guilty of for quite some time was the lack of communication surrounding what makes a merchant unsuitable. It is something we're working on. I can speak for the whole team when I say that we never like removing content shared by our community when they're spending their own time to upload it.
Jason05/07/2019 21:09

Most of that information is contained on the merchants site so as soon as …Most of that information is contained on the merchants site so as soon as you land on their page you get an idea within a few seconds whether they're likely to be acceptable. Some merchants are borderline so we speak to a colleague within the team for a second opinion or if we think we might have overlooked something. One of the things we've been guilty of for quite some time was the lack of communication surrounding what makes a merchant unsuitable. It is something we're working on. I can speak for the whole team when I say that we never like removing content shared by our community when they're spending their own time to upload it.

Thanks for the reply, some good info there (I know I am not a deal poster but good to know what's going on in the background)

Seems to be being a bit of a shift of late, like you're all trying to be more transparent and explain why X is done due to Y.

I know it is a very arduous unforgiving task to be a mod, quite often seen as the bad guys
SaltyExpert05/07/2019 21:16

Thanks for the reply, some good info there (I know I am not a deal poster …Thanks for the reply, some good info there (I know I am not a deal poster but good to know what's going on in the background)Seems to be being a bit of a shift of late, like you're all trying to be more transparent and explain why X is done due to Y.I know it is a very arduous unforgiving task to be a mod, quite often seen as the bad guys

I'm pleased to hear you've seen a shift. There is still much work to be done but we've got a plan
Jason05/07/2019 21:21

I'm pleased to hear you've seen a shift. There is still much work to be …I'm pleased to hear you've seen a shift. There is still much work to be done but we've got a plan

So reading between the lines , Any gaming deal is fine ? As they presumably bring much income to the site . Fair enough as HUKD is not a Public service and has to make money to survive .

Are HUKD looking into the sheep voting by gamers that results in 95% of gaming deals going ridiculously hot , when - lets be honest - these "Hot Deals" are the same price (give or take 5p) as previously posted multiple times

Presumably HUKD find these "non deals " that swamp the site profitable ? So why not create a new site- Hot UK Gaming Deals ? where the gaming sheep can vote hot to their hearts content without destroying the ethos of this site which has now been taken over by such "non deals " .

Just a thought , I always try to help .
Edited by: "rogparki" 5th Jul 2019
deleted90213905/07/2019 21:56

So reading between the lines , Any gaming deal is fine ? As they …So reading between the lines , Any gaming deal is fine ? As they presumably bring much income to the site . Fair enough as HUKD is not a Public service and has to make money to survive .Are HUKD looking into the sheep voting by gamers that results in 95% of gaming deals going ridiculously hot , when - lets be honest - these "Hot Deals" are the same price (give or take 5p) as previously posted multiple times Presumably HUKD find these "non deals " that swamp the site profitable ? So why not create a new site- Hot UK Gaming Deals ? where the gaming sheep can vote hot to their hearts content without destroying the ethos of this site which has noe been taken over by such "non deals " .Just a thought , I always try to help .

I can guarantee you this and it is entirely up to you whether you choose to believe it:

When a member posts a deal on site and we need to review it, no part of that process ever involves us considering whether they have an affiliate scheme.
To answer your other question @rogparki :

We do monitor voting (hot and cold) and if we think members are abusing their voting privileges we'll step in and look to take the appropriate action.

Gaming is clearly a hugely popular category which sees a massive amount of content on site. Some members might see an extra benefit in paying a few pence more at a specific retailer. When I say benefit I mean something like a quicker delivery, guaranteed preorder release date, reward scheme etc.

I've said this in countless other threads but profitability never comes into it. For example, Amazon don't pay hotukdeals a penny. Do we stop members posting their deals? Do we exclude them from the Highlights page? Do we exclude them from newsletters and social media? Nope. There are MANY other merchants that do not pay us a penny but we don't stop you guys sharing their deals.
Jason05/07/2019 21:59

I can guarantee you this and it is entirely up to you whether you choose …I can guarantee you this and it is entirely up to you whether you choose to believe it: When a member posts a deal on site and we need to review it, no part of that process ever involves us considering whether they have an affiliate scheme.

Fair enough , so what is being done about the "sheep voting " in the gaming category that ensures virtually all gaming posts go mindlessly hot ?

I had the temerity to vote a few gaming "non deals " Cold - and had my voting disabled .

With my length of membership and record for commenting (like my comments or not , many do ) this is clearly taking the Mick !

TBH I don't really care , I can still comment , which (shock , horror ) is far more valuable than sheep voting via the hot button .

I know commenting isn't encouraged on HUKD but the comments are what influence my decision on whether to buy or not .
deleted90213905/07/2019 22:13

Fair enough , so what is being done about the "sheep voting " in the …Fair enough , so what is being done about the "sheep voting " in the gaming category that ensures virtually all gaming posts go mindlessly hot ?I had the temerity to vote a few gaming "non deals " Cold - and had my voting disabled .With my length of membership and record for commenting (like my comments or not , many do ) this is clearly taking the Mick !TBH I don't really care , I can still comment , which (shock , horror ) is far more valuable than sheep voting via the hot button .I know commenting isn't encouraged on HUKD but the comments are what influence my decision on whether to buy or not .

I'm happy to discuss this with you but I don't think it is right (or fair) for me to give any numbers publicly which led to your vote being disabled in February. It was not a decision we took lightly, I can assure you of that.
@rogparki I've reinstated your voting ability tonight anyway.

If there is anything you want to pick up with me feel free to drop me a PM as i'm away now until Sunday.
Jason05/07/2019 22:19

I'm happy to discuss this with you but I don't think it is right (or fair) …I'm happy to discuss this with you but I don't think it is right (or fair) for me to give any numbers publicly which led to your vote being disabled in February. It was not a decision we took lightly, I can assure you of that.

As stated its not a problem - what does my one vote matter against hundreds of sheep votes ? (that HUKD felt the need to disable ) I also quite enjoy the fact that HUKD also remove many of my inoffensive on topic comments for totally ridiculous reasons .

Its the game , its your playground , I will continue to assist members as I regularly do . But please don't think HUKD's Playground bullying worries me in the least .

If you are the same magicjay1986 who has been a Mod for many years (and not just assumed a well respected username ) you will know exactly what I mean ?

Maybe you too regret the passing of many intelligent (at times outspoken ) members who always left helpful comments and have now ,sadly , left the site .

Ok that's fine for attaining heat on gaming deals - but for getting "Help" on Ask for car problems , Plumbing problems , gardens etc etc its down to the few of us left and of course those who love to spout "urban myths ".
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants