What device to watch Netflix and Amazon on ? (For tv in spare room)

Quick question,,, wanting to get netflix and Amazon in a spare room at home..

is there a hdmi device which supports steaming of netflix and Amazon ? Something like a chromecast or now tv or the likes ? (Plus any freebie ones like bbc etc..)

Currently use laptop via hdmi which is not ideal.

Cheers..

25 Comments

Well the obvious choice would be Amazon Fire TV £64 On offer with £15 off

Original Poster

cheers to both of you - that looks just perfect !!

is that the best all rounder? any other options your aware of ?

Thanks
Edited by: "RickT" 28th Dec 2014

RickT

cheers to both of you - that looks just perfect !! is that the best all … cheers to both of you - that looks just perfect !! is that the best all rounder? any other options your aware of ? Thanks

Id say its the best as i am not aware of anything else that plays Amazon Prime...

haritori

Id say its the best as i am not aware of anything else that plays Amazon … Id say its the best as i am not aware of anything else that plays Amazon Prime...

My 2 year old Sony 3D Blu Ray player has both it & Netflix on and the more modern versions are typically just under 50 quid.

EG: pcworld.co.uk/gbu…tml

(LoveFilm has now become Amazon Prime and the system updates to the latest apps)

Original Poster

cheers - thinking of going for Sony BDPS4200 Smart Full HD 3D Blu-ray Disc Player - Black for same price.

RickT

cheers - thinking of going for Sony BDPS4200 Smart Full HD 3D Blu-ray … cheers - thinking of going for Sony BDPS4200 Smart Full HD 3D Blu-ray Disc Player - Black for same price.

Cool. Worth pointing out that these don't have wifi as standard but I prefer a homeplug and wired ethernet anyway.

Original Poster

I have a couple of wireless hubs, so not an issue. - thank you.

IamMT

Cool. Worth pointing out that these don't have wifi as standard but I … Cool. Worth pointing out that these don't have wifi as standard but I prefer a homeplug and wired ethernet anyway.

And they have BBC iPlayer etc (although I have mine set up for US so I can get Hulu Plus).

I must admit I bought mine purely for NetFlix/Amazon Prime and don't even own a single BluRay never mind a 3D one!

IamMT

I must admit I bought mine purely for NetFlix/Amazon Prime and don't even … I must admit I bought mine purely for NetFlix/Amazon Prime and don't even own a single BluRay never mind a 3D one!

But it does support DNLA out of the box.

Im gonna go the other way and say the roku box here £37

Editor

I wouldn't bother with Amazon Instant Video, there is only so many times you can scream "I **** pay for Prime, why the **** should I have to pay for that on top?"

BuzzDuraband

I wouldn't bother with Amazon Instant Video, there is only so many times … I wouldn't bother with Amazon Instant Video, there is only so many times you can scream "I **** pay for Prime, why the **** should I have to pay for that on top?"

Hulu Plus is where I live other than Netflix. Is the US Amazon Instant any different to the UK one?

Original Poster

badgerrules

Im gonna go the other way and say the roku box here £37

do Roku support amazon instant though ?

Editor

IamMT

Hulu Plus is where I live other than Netflix. Is the US Amazon Instant … Hulu Plus is where I live other than Netflix. Is the US Amazon Instant any different to the UK one?

Not sure through experience mate, but I would have thought so as every other thing they have seems to be better than the crap we are handed.

Original Poster

IamMT

Hulu Plus is where I live other than Netflix. Is the US Amazon Instant … Hulu Plus is where I live other than Netflix. Is the US Amazon Instant any different to the UK one?

Theres somethings the MRS watching on it... i never do ..

Got a PS3 which we use for Netflix and Amazon in the living room

RickT

do Roku support amazon instant though ?

Yes for netflix, no for amazon instant

BuzzDuraband

Not sure through experience mate, but I would have thought so as every … Not sure through experience mate, but I would have thought so as every other thing they have seems to be better than the crap we are handed.

I had forgotten that they try & get you to pay for movies of newer releases - bad thing with the kids - when you say 'no!'

Original Poster

IamMT

I know the US Netflix is better, used to watch it via the Wii at one point.

Original Poster

Thanks all

RickT

Theres somethings the MRS watching on it... i never do ..Got a PS3 which … Theres somethings the MRS watching on it... i never do ..Got a PS3 which we use for Netflix and Amazon in the living room

Actually we got the Blu Ray player after the PS3 YLODed! Which was only about 2 months after starting to watch Netflix.

Editor

IamMT

I had forgotten that they try & get you to pay for movies of newer … I had forgotten that they try & get you to pay for movies of newer releases - bad thing with the kids - when you say 'no!'

It's not so much the newer releases mate, for example todays experience, My son is mad on Ghostbusters, he has the DVD of the old 80s/90s cartoon 'The Real Ghostbusters' but to save time on slapping the disc in I loaded Amazon Prime......£1.49 an episode.

BuzzDuraband

It's not so much the newer releases mate, for example todays experience, … It's not so much the newer releases mate, for example todays experience, My son is mad on Ghostbusters, he has the DVD of the old 80s/90s cartoon 'The Real Ghostbusters' but to save time on slapping the disc in I loaded Amazon Prime......£1.49 an episode.

Ouch!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…66
    2. wharf comp - win a michael grant watch - email entry only22
    3. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card11
    4. computer active mag comp - win one of two y-cam protect alarm systems worth…44

See more discussions