What did you learn once you turned 18?

Found 16th Apr
As the title says I turned 18 today and would love to know/ have some sort of ‘pre-warning’ about what being an adult is like.

What advice would you give your younger self? What was something you didn’t expect? Stuff like that etc
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
Top comments
Best advice I could offer my younger self, don't smoke!
42 Comments
First of all Happy Birthday.

To not listen to people on forums that try to turn a lighthearted thread political

Edit: this now makes no sense as the political comment was deleted but the point probably still stands!
Edited by: "Skaman" 16th Apr
Happy birthday to you
You will need to carry ID , now that you are 18 you will need to prove it.
Enjoy your life, get on the property ladder. Have lots of sex , use your vote and learn how to improvise and think quickly on your feet, it’ll help you immensely in the world of work. Go to Amsterdam!!
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 16th Apr
Never regret anything
Original Poster
xfaxfa2 m ago

Haha yeah I already plan on not doing that! Avoiding it like the plague
that life isnt a bunch of roses and everything will be handed to you on the plate and finally the people that you love will stand by you when you need them the most not everyone is lucky
If at first you don't succeed try again, then give up. No point in being stupid about it.
shadey121 m ago

And look after your limbs.

Yeah. Don't run down stairs while carrying a puppy. You could break your ankle.
Original Poster
cmdr_elito31 m ago

Enjoy your life, get on the property ladder. Have lots of sex , use …Enjoy your life, get on the property ladder. Have lots of sex , use your vote and learn how to improvise and think quickly on your feet, it’ll help you immensely in the world of work. Go to Amsterdam!!

Is there any point in voting in the local elections?

Also, what is in Amsterdam that is so good?
Mechtup1 m ago

Is there any point in voting in the local elections?Also, what is in …Is there any point in voting in the local elections?Also, what is in Amsterdam that is so good?

They make the best brownies.....🤪
Happy Birthday.

Most important things i've learned in adulthood;-

Do at least one thing a day that makes you happy. Hard work brings reward, but all work and no fun is bad for your health.

Surround yourself with people that genuinely care about your best interests. Don't waste a second on hangers-on, and those that don't appreciate you.

A true friend will never ask you for anything that makes you uncomfortable. They will also give without being asked.

Don't spend all your time on the Internet. You'll learn far more in the real world than in the virtual world.

Spending money can be fun, but being in debt definitely isn't. Don't live hand to mouth.

Start a pension as early as you can. The later you leave it, the harder it is.

The older you get, the more quickly time passes. When I was younger, I thought i'd be young forever.

Life is full of contradictory advice.
Edited by: "Guzzle" 16th Apr
Mechtup3 m ago

Is there any point in voting in the local elections?Also, what is in …Is there any point in voting in the local elections?Also, what is in Amsterdam that is so good?

of course there is a point in voting in all elections. You can't complain about stuff if you haven't expressed your opinion. Amsterdam has canals and cheese. Cheese is good. As for what else is there, you'll need to go see....
don't do anything to get arrested, follow that, and you be fine
mod
@Guzzle great advice, it reminded me of the song sunscreen by baz luhrmann.
Listen to the music of the 60s and 70s, telling us to make love . Don't listen to todays " music " that tells us to hate and stab each other thereby gaining "respect " - NOT
Buy a bible be a good person don't look for love it will find you when the times right, don't have regrets just move on sometimes wish I could go back and do some things different and enjoy youth it goes fast blink and it's gone
Original Poster
_Enzo_25 m ago

Buy a bible be a good person don't look for love it will find you when the …Buy a bible be a good person don't look for love it will find you when the times right, don't have regrets just move on sometimes wish I could go back and do some things different and enjoy youth it goes fast blink and it's gone

Already have one
Original Poster
rogparki25 m ago

Listen to the music of the 60s and 70s, telling us to make love . Don't …Listen to the music of the 60s and 70s, telling us to make love . Don't listen to todays " music " that tells us to hate and stab each other thereby gaining "respect " - NOT

Today’s music is dreadful!
Original Poster
psychobitchfromhell45 m ago

of course there is a point in voting in all elections. You can't complain …of course there is a point in voting in all elections. You can't complain about stuff if you haven't expressed your opinion. Amsterdam has canals and cheese. Cheese is good. As for what else is there, you'll need to go see....

But I mean, what do the local councils do? What would you be voting for exactly?
cmdr_elito49 m ago

They make the best brownies.....🤪

Reminds me... A place I worked was mainly staffed by elderly, retired ladies. They organised a week trip to Amsterdam. One evening they went to a cafe and tried the Brownies. They couldn't remember getting back to the hotel.... and they came back through customs (OK, on a coach so a bit lucky there) with little boxes tied up with ribbon - full of Brownies. They had no idea until someone back in the UK told them.
Go down the Pub - not to get shedded , but just to have a couple of pints , watch a bit of footy and chat face to face with real people . Listen to what old farts like me have to say - maybe it is a totally different world to when I was 18 - but some lessons learned are as true to the youth of today as in my day .

We can't uninvent Social Media - but we can try to control how it affects our lives , sadly many allow it to control their whole lives and emotions . Be your own person (warts and all) learn from your mistakes and you wont go far wrong .
Mechtup18 m ago

But I mean, what do the local councils do? What would you be voting for …But I mean, what do the local councils do? What would you be voting for exactly?

Not a great deal admittedly by they are important to all . They control rubbish collection , the first stage of planning permission and a few other insignificant things .

Where they are useful is that they have weight and connections in many areas so could be your first port of call if you have a local or community problem or gripe . Neighbours , parking , bus timetables and similar niff naff .

An MP probably has about 60,000 to 70,000 constituents so is difficult to access ,your Local councillor probably has a few hundred so much easier to access to at least listen to your gripe (that's if they are any good) and you find a good one and vote for them regardless of party .
Mechtup24 m ago

But I mean, what do the local councils do? What would you be voting for …But I mean, what do the local councils do? What would you be voting for exactly?

The roads, the schools, the street lights, the bins, planning, you name it....
Happy birthday! Well.. if you are not happy in relationship, leave. Don't waste few years - it's not gonna get better. If you are not happy at work - leave. Even that you have nothing else. If you wanna work you will always find job. And travel. As much as you can. :-)
Don’t follow the herd. It’s easy to be drawn into being “cool” or one of the boys/lassies.
Don’t be afraid to say no. A friend that throws a guilt trip at you is a flash in the pan.
Money does not grow on trees. Treat it with respect.
Living life and having fun doesn’t have to cost money.
Travel the world, well actually the UK. There is lots to see and learn. Cheap with a tent and rail pass.
Consumerism is a bad thing, learn it now or end up like the rest of us.

Above all tomorrow doesn’t always come. You’ll make good and bad choices, enjoy today and treat people properly.
When you pass your driving test, immediately you shall feel you have aquired the driving ability of ayrton senna. You haven't and probably never will. I wrapped my dad's jaguar iinto a lampost. Thankfully no one was injured. A lesson was learnt albiet an expensive one
Various companies will attempt to loan you money. Only borrow what you genuinely need, and only if you can comfortably pay it back.
Start your pension now
Focus on education so you can do whatever you want when you start looking for a job and aren't stuck doing minimum wage jobs because you don't have qualifications to do anything better paid.

I have a qualification equivalent to your A Levels and I'm thinking of studying now for a degree, which I should have done back when I was 18 but back then I didn't want my dad to get a bank loan to finance my education so I just started working and gave up the idea of ever graduating, which was stupid.
Edited by: "hearts22" 17th Apr
Learn to make good decisions, take calculated risks and most importantly travel the world.
Mechtup10 h, 54 m ago

Already have one

What, Love? or a bible?.

At your age you should get laid as much as you can!
Pretty much what Guzzle says above oh and happy birthday!
Original Poster
.MUFC.50 m ago

What, Love? or a bible?.At your age you should get laid as much as you can!

A Bible
Be kind
Be brave
Don’t worry about other people’s opinion of you, they’re mostly too wrapped up in their own **** to really notice
Edited by moderator: "removed swear word" 17th Apr
I went to a Brothel and they could no longer kick me out!
Find good mentors - people you can trust and rely upon to offer advice! Choose them carefully - make sure they have been successful themselves and have experience in the areas you want them to advise you!

Always listen to the advice with an open mind - you don't have to follow it but always consider it!

Work hard and expect to get paid with EXPERIENCE first - the financial reward will come later (especially if you have good experience).

Become financially astute - browse websites such as this as well as Moneysavingexpert etc.

Start saving now - spend your money when necessary but don't waste a penny.

Also do as @.MUFC. suggests!! That advice also stands for us 50+ year olds!
dont be an adult - it's overrated
You find out nearly everything you were ever told by authority is a lie.... Enjoy
Edited by: "cowsindahouse" 17th Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants