What do I do if item is damaged I bought on eBay.

Found 25th Sep 2017
Do I return it or complain, i don't know what to do cost 11 quid in postage too2798685-vjGRa.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
Contact buyer and try to resolve mutually. Remain calm, eBay can read all of your communication.

If they fail to rectify the issue, report them via PayPal under item received as damaged/not as described. Fear not, you’re protected providing the damage is not from your misuse.
Message the Buyer first but if theres no reply, you might need to setup a return dispute within the resolution centre. THis way Ebay can get involved
I did not use PayPal I used the credit card within eBay.
£11 on postage for a key and fob? How on earth do they justify that?
Bigfootpete19 m ago

Possibly an item bought from abroad.

If so then you need to specify where the seller is as that'll affect your rights.

If the seller's in the UK then it's their responsibility to either get the item to you as described or give you a full refund.(including standard delivery charges, if you paid extra for faster delivery that may not be covered).

Ebay has nothing to do with it, although it does give you the extra option of going through their buyer protection if the seller is ignoring their legal obligations.
EndlessWaves18 m ago

Possibly an item bought from abroad.If so then you need to specify where …Possibly an item bought from abroad.If so then you need to specify where the seller is as that'll affect your rights.If the seller's in the UK then it's their responsibility to either get the item to you as described or give you a full refund.(including standard delivery charges, if you paid extra for faster delivery that may not be covered).Ebay has nothing to do with it, although it does give you the extra option of going through their buyer protection if the seller is ignoring their legal obligations.

The seller is based in Germany.
Bigfootpete40 m ago

Its an ignition lock I could bend the key back but that is putting strain on the metal and could snap off in ignition one day.
I know it is not what you want but you could straighten the key in a vice and it will likely be OK. I've done it before - use a vice if you have access to one - or if not take the key out of the plastic holder and put it between two pieces of wood and use a hammer - do not hit direct with a hammer as you will weaken the key.

At the same time still advise the seller how it has arrived with a photo - they will be able to raise a claim with their carrier and should send you a replacement.
Edited by: "Van1973" 25th Sep 2017
Van19732 m ago

I know it is not what you want but you could straighten the key in a vice …I know it is not what you want but you could straighten the key in a vice and it will likely be OK. I've done it before - use a vice if you have access to one - or if not take the key out of the plastic holder and put it between two pieces of wood and use a hammer - do not hit direct with a hammer as you will weaken the key.At the same time still advise the seller how it has arrived with a photo - they will be able to raise a claim with their carrier and should send you a replacement.

Just seen your message posted at same time as mine above. Agree, it's not worth the risk if it could break in the ignition!
eBay give you 30 days to open a case. Don't bother contacting the seller just use the resolution centre on eBay to notify the seller there is an issue and the item is damaged. They don't get a defect as long as they resolve the issue with you. Add the photo of the damage to the request.

eBay give the seller 8 days to resolve the issue and if you aren't satisfied after that you can escalate the case.
If you'd paid by Paypal (like everyone does) you could've got free returns click. You should just straighten out the key yourself. I think you should just see this as a lesson learnt, next time use Paypal.
Uk consumer protection and eu laws covering you are very similar. You need to contact the seller with you photos, through eBay, showing you have not received goods as described/advertised and asking how they would suggest you proceed.
From image I would guess they would claim damage in transit and either ship you a replacement or refund whilst being covered by the insurance they demanded in the £11 fee.
If not forthcoming, although I would be surprised if you had to, you would be rejecting that they had not completed the contract formed in supplying goods as advertised and you would then dispute the payment on your card. They will also know this and that they are responsible in resolving at no charge/cost to you which is why I would be surprised if they did not respond positively to you initially highlighting to them.
Edited by: "Bertz99" 25th Sep 2017
RiverDragon85 h, 32 m ago

If you'd paid by Paypal (like everyone does) you could've got free returns …If you'd paid by Paypal (like everyone does) you could've got free returns click. You should just straighten out the key yourself. I think you should just see this as a lesson learnt, next time use Paypal.

Paid for it not using PayPal but the in house credit card screen.32089703-pF5RC.jpg
You can set Paypal as your primary payment option.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions