Found 10th Dec 2014
Not very good with these sorts of thing so hear goes...

My son has a laptop but it doesn't have anywhere to put a disc, he's got a PC game he wants to play. What do I need?

Thanks

17 Comments

an external disk drive

Has he tried installing Steam and entering the CD Key into Steam to see if it's valid, if so it'll install via the Internet. Otherwise try putting the CD in a PC on the same network and sharing the CD drive over the network and accessing it via his laptop.

Or a digital copy

You need an external DVD/CD drive which would connect to the laptop via a USB port - does he have USB ports on his laptop? He should have - how many does he have?

Tell us the make and model of laptop and we can help further.

Original Poster

I honestly have no idea about Computers so don't really understand any of that, wish I new more about them. Thanks though

ShaunR

Has he tried installing Steam and entering the CD Key into Steam to see … Has he tried installing Steam and entering the CD Key into Steam to see if it's valid, if so it'll install via the Internet. Otherwise try putting the CD in a PC on the same network and sharing the CD drive over the network and accessing it via his laptop.

nkje02

I honestly have no idea about Computers so don't really understand any of … I honestly have no idea about Computers so don't really understand any of that, wish I new more about them. Thanks though

You don't need to spend any money to make it work if you have another PC/Laptop on the same network with a CD drive. What game is it, perhaps it IS steam compatible?

Original Poster

Packard Bell EasyNote ME69BMP, 10.1" Touchscreen Laptop, Intel Celeron, 2GB RAM, 320GB - Silver

That's what he has. So any of the above links will work with this?

Original Poster

Call of duty world at war, my laptop has a disk drive on it.

ShaunR

You don't need to spend any money to make it work if you have another … You don't need to spend any money to make it work if you have another PC/Laptop on the same network with a CD drive. What game is it, perhaps it IS steam compatible?

nkje02

Packard Bell EasyNote ME69BMP, 10.1" Touchscreen Laptop, Intel Celeron, … Packard Bell EasyNote ME69BMP, 10.1" Touchscreen Laptop, Intel Celeron, 2GB RAM, 320GB - SilverThat's what he has. So any of the above links will work with this?

OK, assuming it is the laptop at the below link, it has two USB ports on the right hand side.

notebookcheck.net/Rev…tml

tesco.com/dir…prd

Any of the DVD drives people have posted above should work - it all depends how much you wish to spend. The two for around £10 should work fine.

nkje02

According to Steam Method: Steam, the games code won't register on Steam (an online, gaming commerce company). However look into it for future purchases if he doesn't have a CDROM. They're almost always cheaper than buying retail and you can buy games from other sites and register them on steam to download instantly (see HUKD!)

Network method: Insert the disc into your laptop, right click on the drive in My Computer, click share, share for all users. It might ask you to give the share a name, anything will do.
On your Son's laptop, either Start > Run and then enter \\YOURPCNAME\ and OK to open your shared folders on his laptop (your PC name will be found by right clicking My Computer and seeing on the first screen), or ask him to go to Network shared on his laptop and your machine should show up, opening that then opening the share folder then execiting the install.exe (or whatever it is) will treat allow it to install - but be warned it'll be slow, especially if they're both on WIFI. However there is a hurdle, you'll run into problems if the game wants the CD in the drive when you play it (hence why I prefer steam!)

If you need any more specific help, feel free to ask here or PM me as to not clog up the thread. Buying an external CD drive is also a good option.

Edited by: "ShaunR" 10th Dec 2014

nkje02

OK, if you wish to play COD then perhaps paying a bit more for a DVD/CD drive with a USB 3.0 connector IF - BIG IF - you have a laptop with a USB 3.0 Ports? According to the reviews some models of your laptop come with just USB 2.0 ports and some come with a USB3.0 port.

USB2.0 will work fine but USB3.0 will be faster - again, IF you have a USB3.0 port on your laptop?

It's a low power net book with dismal graphics capability (compared to something that isnt a netbook - all netbooks have sucky graphics ability).
is it really capable of running a first person shooter?.

Original Poster

Thanks for all you help people at least I know what I'm dealing with now.

He only messes about with his mates on it nothing serious so hasn't got to be brilliant graphics, he has his Xbox one for that.

Thanks again

sounds like he's got a net book not a laptop.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. amazon echo idiots guide69
    2. Does any kind person have one spare sweet Sunday's code?22
    3. disneyland paris tickets33
    4. putting dry clean only through washing machne1112

See more discussions