what do I need to play Computer 4k 60hz to a pc?

Found 1st Feb
I have just bought a 4k monitor, it has hdmi and display port, but my computer does not suppourt 4k because its slightly under the sepcification of graphics card, i've established intel hd 4400 or 4600 will suffice but now i hear you need hdmi 2.0 or a display port 1.2 or something for 60hz

firstly for my uses which is soley to watch youtube videos in 4k and internet stuff is 30hz vs 60hz something to miss? and how do i find computer able to do this? hard to find it in specifications on desktops and laptops, pain in the butt
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
15 Comments
You just need a GPU or iGPU that supports h.265/HEVC main12 profile and HDMI 2.0 out. GT 1030 to GTX 1080ti range. No idea about AMD range to be honest. Lots of cheaper older card that support main10 but I would recommend buying a newer card that supports the new formats.
Yeah, unfortunately 'specs' these days are more marketing then relevant information.

What form factor are you after (desktop, laptop, all in one, tablet etc.) and would you be buying new or second hand?

Generally if it's a new system you can ignore the GPU bit and just look for the appropriate outputs. If a new system has DisplayPort (any version), Thunderbolt 3 or HDMI 2.0 then it will run your new monitor properly. Some laptops with USB Type C may also work.

The only exception I can think of is that some home desktops bundle a cheap, old graphics card. While that won't necessarily support 4K@60hz the integrated graphics will do so you'd need to make sure the system also has the appropriate output for the integrated graphics.

And yes, you definitely want 60hz for video watching.
Original Poster
EndlessWaves9 m ago

Yeah, unfortunately 'specs' these days are more marketing then relevant …Yeah, unfortunately 'specs' these days are more marketing then relevant information. What form factor are you after (desktop, laptop, all in one, tablet etc.) and would you be buying new or second hand?Generally if it's a new system you can ignore the GPU bit and just look for the appropriate outputs. If a new system has DisplayPort (any version), Thunderbolt 3 or HDMI 2.0 then it will run your new monitor properly. Some laptops with USB Type C may also work. The only exception I can think of is that some home desktops bundle a cheap, old graphics card. While that won't necessarily support 4K@60hz the integrated graphics will do so you'd need to make sure the system also has the appropriate output for the integrated graphics. And yes, you definitely want 60hz for video watching.

I currently have a laptop to monitor situation which tbh I think I would want to continue because I know there be times i'd want to walk away from my office with it ect, but guessing it be unlikely to do so unless I'm putting down 1k for a laptop that gets used 5% as a laptop which is a waste, form factor wise not fussed I think mainly just budget, I don't game, 8gb ram, and just being able to play youtube in 4k mainly tbh

like kester and you say so much marketing makes it hard to determine, I look at desktop pc prebuilt and it never says if its hdmi 2.0 ect
Original Poster
kester761 h, 31 m ago

You just need a GPU or iGPU that supports h.265/HEVC main12 profile and …You just need a GPU or iGPU that supports h.265/HEVC main12 profile and HDMI 2.0 out. GT 1030 to GTX 1080ti range. No idea about AMD range to be honest. Lots of cheaper older card that support main10 but I would recommend buying a newer card that supports the new formats.

What would suggest for budget, just want something 8gb ram and able to play youtube at 4k 60hz, have to be desktop tower/pc I spose as laptop will be expensive to have as a desktop 95% of time
Original Poster
Thankyou for taking time to reply
whelan1891 h, 19 m ago

What would suggest for budget, just want something 8gb ram and able to …What would suggest for budget, just want something 8gb ram and able to play youtube at 4k 60hz, have to be desktop tower/pc I spose as laptop will be expensive to have as a desktop 95% of time

It's confusing but I guess you really only need a VP9 compatible device if you're just watching Youtube, Netflix etc. In the short term it is probably easier just to use a modern smart phone as these tend to support the majority of codecs but useless for your monitor I assume.
A high end Mac will do 4K but your looking about 2-3k for that, and then it’s a Mac
whelan18917 h, 55 m ago

What would suggest for budget, just want something 8gb ram and able to …What would suggest for budget, just want something 8gb ram and able to play youtube at 4k 60hz, have to be desktop tower/pc I spose as laptop will be expensive to have as a desktop 95% of time

Which budget?

HDMI 2.0 is new so you can assume if it just says HDMI then it's the old version.
Original Poster
EndlessWaves58 m ago

Which budget?HDMI 2.0 is new so you can assume if it just says HDMI then …Which budget?HDMI 2.0 is new so you can assume if it just says HDMI then it's the old version.

£500 used or new ,prebuilt or build, assuming j just need a motherboard that has hdmi 2.0 t
And intel graphics card, 4k mainly to get best use of YouTube's 4k content
It's easy enough to find a small desktop with DisplayPort on that budget, e.g. Fujitsu Q556 (details).

Laptops are trickier at this time of year. For some reason manufacturers haven't been keen to offer DisplayPort on their entry level models. The mid-range models, especially business ones, often have it but while the basic 4GB ram & HDD models often get close to £500 (e.g. £520 L470) it is tricky to find one that ticks all the boxes without being £700-800.
I'm not sure if this would work but at the price might be worth a try cpc.farnell.com/pro…005
Original Poster
rejcomp1 h, 24 m ago

I'm not sure if this would work but at the price might be worth a try …I'm not sure if this would work but at the price might be worth a try http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg91129/adapter-usb3-0-displayport-4k/dp/CS2779969?CMP=TREML007-005

Interesting, my current pc won't work but I could try with my brother's laptop to get an idea , thanks will look into it
rejcomp2 h, 56 m ago

I'm not sure if this would work but at the price might be worth a try …I'm not sure if this would work but at the price might be worth a try http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg91129/adapter-usb3-0-displayport-4k/dp/CS2779969?CMP=TREML007-005

The USB 3 ones are pretty good at lower resolutions but with several times the pixels it's likely to be more sluggish/delayed

I hadn't realised they were that cheap now though, they used to be around £40 even for the normal ones.
Original Poster
EndlessWaves6 m ago

The USB 3 ones are pretty good at lower resolutions but with several times …The USB 3 ones are pretty good at lower resolutions but with several times the pixels it's likely to be more sluggish/delayedI hadn't realised they were that cheap now though, they used to be around £40 even for the normal ones.

think they still are by the looks of it think its just a good deal, probs be a good buy and sell for 2x on ebay haha
whelan1898 m ago

think they still are by the looks of it think its just a good deal, probs …think they still are by the looks of it think its just a good deal, probs be a good buy and sell for 2x on ebay haha

Yeah, worth a try at that price.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants