Expired

What do I need to watch TV on my normal TFT monitor?

Found 31st Oct 2009
Hi all,

I know this is not tech forum. But a lots of people are very knowledgeable about tech related questions.

I would like to watch TV (Free to Air/Freeview) on my 22" TFT monitor with VGA input. (Not via Computer)

The question is can I connect it to freeview box to monitor with somekind of adaptor or converter?
I know most of the freeview box only come with Scart output. Is there anything like Scart to VGA converter?

Alternatively, is there any device out there which has freeview builtin and VGA/DVI output?

Thanks in advance.

10 Comments

You can buy an external TV card for £30 or £40 but much easier and free go here

tvcatchup.com/

apologies, didn't read your question correct. Not sure if you can get a freeview box to fit, someone else may help.

Original Poster

thanks

You could always try something like ]this

Original Poster

Mike73;6743509

You could always try something like ]this

Spot on! Well done mate. That is exactly what I am looking for. I did not know the name so I couldn't find it.

Thanks millons.

fullmoon;6743568

Spot on! Well done mate. That is exactly what I am looking for. I did not … Spot on! Well done mate. That is exactly what I am looking for. I did not know the name so I couldn't find it. Thanks millons.

Happy to help, I don't think the box I found has freeview though, and I neither own one or have ever even heard of it (before now) so can't vouch for it - although the reviews seem pretty good. The freeview version seems to cost about £50

if your monitor has a dvi input you could also use any freeview / pvr upscaling box with hdmi out and the appropriate adaptor.

bruffterman;6743814

if your monitor has a dvi input you could also use any freeview / pvr … if your monitor has a dvi input you could also use any freeview / pvr upscaling box with hdmi out and the appropriate adaptor.

Yeah, if you've got a DVI input then a freeview box that outputs HDMI and something else for sound is by far the simplest option.

Apart from HDMIDVI that's just a change in plug I'd generally beware of any converters as they may only work one way or for different types of signal so if only have VGA make very sure that the converter you do buy will work for what you want.

dealextreme.com/pro…deo

some cheap ones there. ive used one a while back to convert my vhs's to dvd.

Original Poster

Thanks for all the advises and links above. I really appreciate it.
Post a comment
@
    Text