Groups

What do Labour need to do to get over the line next time?

With odds as low as 6/4, the possibility of a second General Election in 2017 cannot be ruled out. Labour can clearly rely on a good proportion of the older working class vote, students, and the benefit community. Having seen footage of their recent rallies, they also appear to have virtually cornered the market for quirky characters with flamboyantly coloured hair and / or multiple piercings. How do they now reach out and build upon this to secure the required increase in vote share in critical constituencies beyond the traditional Labour strongholds?

What general policies do you feel could tip the balance in their favour amongst the more mainstream UK electorate? If not a typical Labour voter, what can they offer that would convince you as an individual to vote for them next time?

Top comments

Original Poster

Personally, I find the rumoured new initiative that they will clear the mortgages of all UK homeowners if they win power rather attractive. If implemented in their next manifesto, I think we could well see Jeremy Corbyn enter Number 10.

Oh look a thread of Corbyn haters despite the man revitalising the Labour Party after an almost two year smear campaign from most sections of the main stream media.

Here we have users ITT calling Corbyn egotistical X)
    He's changed the political landscape and it will keep on changing. That has some on here absolutely petrified as after decades of following what the Sun & Mail tells them to believe they suddenly cannot function when someone breaks the mould.

Up the Corbyn.
    Up the 26% corporate tax rates and increased tax to 5%. The 95% have had enough of the political ideology that is austerity.
    Edited by: "DT89" 12th Jun

eslick10 m ago

They were present with someone saying have some cash no more.

No, they were presented with a guy who stuck by what he believed in. Made statements he knew would be spun against him by the press and still didn't engage in the political mudslinging we usually see. It was refreshing.

I keep seeing right leaning think-pieces about his "unorthodox campaigning" what state is the political system in when a guy who doesn't engage in the usual he said/she said claptrap is deemed unorthodox!? With any luck it'll galvanise the rest of the disillusioned voters and We'll see even more gains in October, or whenever it is we're back at the polls.
    211 Comments

Original Poster

Personally, I find the rumoured new initiative that they will clear the mortgages of all UK homeowners if they win power rather attractive. If implemented in their next manifesto, I think we could well see Jeremy Corbyn enter Number 10.

Wouldn't surprise me, no other votes left to buy is there?!
    Spend spend spend. Except there's no ppi free money they can claim back when the economy goes belly up.

Saturn

Personally, I find the rumoured new initiative that they will clear the … Personally, I find the rumoured new initiative that they will clear the mortgages of all UK homeowners if they win power rather attractive. If implemented in their next manifesto, I think we could well see Jeremy Corbyn enter Number 10.

is it like the car scrapage schemes where you have to own your own home for a certain period to qualify, should I buy my kids houses now just to qualify. we really need more details. Get this on facebook now, once viral JC will pick it up immediately.

I think they will go back to the free owl for everyone plan of 2014, imagine the youth vote he could get with that, your free Harry Potter Owl.

Sack Corbyn, if any other half sensible Labour politician had been leader we would have a Labour government now.

Banned

Just promise things they can't possibly deliver! Oh wait, they tried that one already!

To be honest, your thread would have been better if it had been what do the Tories need to do to keep power as at the moment they seen hell bent on destroying themselves. Politics has gone absolutely mental in the past year.

" What do Labour need to do to get over the line next time?"

Perhaps a majority!

coys67

Sack Corbyn, if any other half sensible Labour politician had been leader … Sack Corbyn, if any other half sensible Labour politician had been leader we would have a Labour government now.

I agree, I am not sure they need Abbott either, much stronger without em!

coys6711 m ago

Sack Corbyn, if any other half sensible Labour politician had been leader …Sack Corbyn, if any other half sensible Labour politician had been leader we would have a Labour government now.

Another indistinguishable centrist wouldn't have swung anything. New voters and young people came out because they were presented with a clear left/right choice. For once.

Krooner

Another indistinguishable centrist wouldn't have swung anything. New … Another indistinguishable centrist wouldn't have swung anything. New voters and young people came out because they were presented with a clear left/right choice. For once.

They were presented with someone saying, have some cash, no more.

Edited by: "eslick" 12th Jun

eslick10 m ago

They were present with someone saying have some cash no more.

No, they were presented with a guy who stuck by what he believed in. Made statements he knew would be spun against him by the press and still didn't engage in the political mudslinging we usually see. It was refreshing.

I keep seeing right leaning think-pieces about his "unorthodox campaigning" what state is the political system in when a guy who doesn't engage in the usual he said/she said claptrap is deemed unorthodox!? With any luck it'll galvanise the rest of the disillusioned voters and We'll see even more gains in October, or whenever it is we're back at the polls.

Krooner

No, they were presented with a guy who stuck by what he believed in. Made … No, they were presented with a guy who stuck by what he believed in. Made statements he knew would be spun against him by the press and still didn't engage in the political mudslinging we usually see. It was refreshing. I keep seeing right leaning think-pieces about his "unorthodox campaigning" what state is the political system in when a guy who doesn't engage in the usual he said/she said claptrap is deemed unorthodox!? With any luck it'll galvanise the rest of the disillusioned voters and We'll see even more gains in October, or whenever it is we're back at the polls.

Your post genuinely made me laugh. I have no political affiliation, I don't trust any politicians, but to suggest that the Labour campaign was a breath of fresh air to the political norm is seeing things through the rosiest of rose tinted glasses.

I think Corbyn's time as opposition leader is going to make Neil Kinnock blush.

Krooner31 m ago

Another indistinguishable centrist wouldn't have swung anything. New …Another indistinguishable centrist wouldn't have swung anything. New voters and young people came out because they were presented with a clear left/right choice. For once.

Krooner31 m ago

Another indistinguishable centrist wouldn't have swung anything. New …Another indistinguishable centrist wouldn't have swung anything. New voters and young people came out because they were presented with a clear left/right choice. For once.

But its been proved now that the electorate will not vote for a far left government, JC was up against the worst Tory campaign for generations and still failed massively, he didn't even come close.

JC is in the winter of his career now, its been a great two years for massaging his ego but its time to step aside now, he approaching 70 years old now, but the time of the next GE he will be in his mid-70's and nearly 80 by the end of the 1st parliament if he was to win, thats far to old in this day and age to be PM imho, time now to look after his constituency and concentrate on his allotment.

Labour or Tory it makes no difference, we have a democorruptcy not a democracy.

Parrot

democorruptcy

I dont think that phrase is going to catch on...

Out of interest, what makes you think that our democracy is corrupt?

coys6718 m ago

But its been proved now that the electorate will not vote for a far left …But its been proved now that the electorate will not vote for a far left government, JC was up against the worst Tory campaign for generations and still failed massively, he didn't even come close.

I think that's nonsense, there are more voters on the left usually. they're just split over 3 or 4 parties. "The worst tory campaign for generations" didn't bring large numbers of new/young voters out did it? He's managed to do something that's been eluding politicians for decades. I think they'll be more of them next time. Enough to win a majority? I don't know,
    colin4man20 m ago

Your post genuinely made me laugh. I have no political affiliation, I …Your post genuinely made me laugh. I have no political affiliation, I don't trust any politicians, but to suggest that the Labour campaign was a breath of fresh air to the political norm is seeing things through the rosiest of rose tinted glasses.

I'm not the only one suggesting it though, the confusion of the right confirms it. They're looking at it like it was magic, "what did he do?", "how did he get young voters to the polls", it's damning really. He rode his bike to work (which the press tired to deem "Mao-ist") The dude makes his own Jam, potters about on allotments. There's photos of him standing up for what he believed in going back decades. I too am somewhat jaded at 34, but it felt like, for the first time in my voting life, I was getting a real choice. I don't think I'm alone in feeling that way.

Oh look a thread of Corbyn haters despite the man revitalising the Labour Party after an almost two year smear campaign from most sections of the main stream media.

Here we have users ITT calling Corbyn egotistical X)
    He's changed the political landscape and it will keep on changing. That has some on here absolutely petrified as after decades of following what the Sun & Mail tells them to believe they suddenly cannot function when someone breaks the mould.

Up the Corbyn.
    Up the 26% corporate tax rates and increased tax to 5%. The 95% have had enough of the political ideology that is austerity.

dtovey8926 m ago

Oh look a thread of Corbyn haters despite the man revitalising the Labour …Oh look a thread of Corbyn haters despite the man revitalising the Labour Party after an almost two year smear campaign from most sections of the main stream media.Here we have users ITT calling Corbyn egotistical X)He's changed the political landscape and it will keep on changing. That has some on here absolutely petrified as after decades of following what the Sun & Mail tells them to believe they suddenly cannot function when someone breaks the mould.Up the Corbyn.Up the 26% corporate tax rates and increased tax to 5%. The 95% have had enough of the political ideology that is austerity.

Thing is, b/c you have had "enough" doesn't mean that changing will be a better or right route.

Chalk to draw the line closer.

Replace Kezia Dugdale would make me more likely to vote Labour.

For labour to have a chance of winning next time Corbyn must step aside as leader as he lost this election. he had his chance and blew it.

Give people faith they could deliver on their election promises.

Peg politician pay rises in line with other public sector services. Next time they vote through a 1% pay rise for nurses, that's all they'll get too.

Change of leadership

It's funny how countless economists have backed Labour's spending plans yet obviously the political experts on HUKD with their nuanced "therez no magik muney tree" analysis must be right.

sonicfury

It's funny how countless economists have backed Labour's spending plans … It's funny how countless economists have backed Labour's spending plans yet obviously the political experts on HUKD with their nuanced "therez no magik muney tree" analysis must be right.

I haven't looked into their promises as I was never going to vote for them but I go on the assumption that nobody on here really has a clue what they are talking about.

We're in the era of populist politics. If you're running a party with the aim of achieving government (you'd think this was a given, but it's not necessarily so), then you wouldn't go far wrong scouring the petitions pages and seeing where all the noise is.
    Personally, I think something as simple as a commitment to removing the term time holiday tax might have nudged Labour closer to the finish line.

CoeK

I haven't looked into their promises as I was never going to vote for … I haven't looked into their promises as I was never going to vote for them but I go on the assumption that nobody on here really has a clue what they are talking about.

It's essentially an echo chamber of people reciting what they've read on Facebook, which to be fair is a lot easier than educating yourself on economics and reading non-biased political insight but does tend to lead to very stupid opinions.

coys67

But its been proved now that the electorate will not vote for a far left … But its been proved now that the electorate will not vote for a far left government, JC was up against the worst Tory campaign for generations and still failed massively, he didn't even come close.

colin4man

Your post genuinely made me laugh. I have no political affiliation, I … Your post genuinely made me laugh. I have no political affiliation, I don't trust any politicians, but to suggest that the Labour campaign was a breath of fresh air to the political norm is seeing things through the rosiest of rose tinted glasses.

I be staggered if you were the only one suggesting it, there were a few million people in the country who voted for Corbyn and I imagine a few hundred thousand of those people, at least, are staunch believers.

I really do think this election is the high watermark for Corbyn though, for exactly the reasons you mentioned in your reply. He managed to galvanise a section of the voters who are typically Labour friendly but generally don't vote. The young.

This was done mainly through a tsunami of Corbyn supports dominating social media. The other parties will counter that more effectively in the future. Yes he comes across as a sweet old man, making jam etc (although I've seen more politicians and PMs on push bikes in the last 3 governments than I can shake a stick at).

But even with all that he could not get even the largest number of MPs let alone a majority. The Labour party needs to retain the momentum they have but move closer to the centre of political​ views to get elected.

Labour have to do what they've always done to win (and by that I mean New Labour).

They need to move to the centre and appeal to people who want good public services as well as a strong economy with a healthy respect for business.

It's not complicated. As Colin said, they've reached a high water mark by maximising the vote of the young and the perpetual victims. They've appealed to that person who lives their lives full of regrets and wants to have either someone to blame or someone to punish.

Fortunately Britain still has a majority of people unwilling to let themselves be that pathetic. The Brit is usually a hardworking person with a respect for other hardworking people. They don't feel the need to be bitter and resentful, but there has always been that type of person who sees a nice car in the street and instead of asking himself how he can earn one he decides to kick the wing mirror off.

So Labour need to do what they did when Kinnock lost in 1992 (with MORE seats by the way). They need to elect a leader who can win the centre ground. If they had done that last time then Theresa May would've been back in Maidenhead rather than number 10.

They need to develop a winning mentality, but their membership simply isn't built for that because they're not winners.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Labour have to do what they've always done to win (and by that I mean New … Labour have to do what they've always done to win (and by that I mean New Labour).They need to move to the centre and appeal to people who want good public services as well as a strong economy with a healthy respect for business.It's not complicated. As Colin said, they've reached a high water mark by maximising the vote of the young and the perpetual victims. They've appealed to that person who lives their lives full of regrets and wants to have either someone to blame or someone to punish.Fortunately Britain still has a majority of people unwilling to let themselves be that pathetic. The Brit is usually a hardworking person with a respect for other hardworking people. They don't feel the need to be bitter and resentful, but there has always been that type of person who sees a nice car in the street and instead of asking himself how he can earn one he decides to kick the wing mirror off.So Labour need to do what they did when Kinnock lost in 1992 (with MORE seats by the way). They need to elect a leader who can win the centre ground. If they had done that last time then Theresa May would've been back in Maidenhead rather than number 10.They need to develop a winning mentality, but their membership simply isn't built for that because they're not winners.

I tell you they are. Coming last in a 2 horse race with the first winner being a lame duck is no mean feat. It should be considered winning too.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Labour have to do what they've always done to win (and by that I mean New … Labour have to do what they've always done to win (and by that I mean New Labour).They need to move to the centre and appeal to people who want good public services as well as a strong economy with a healthy respect for business.It's not complicated. As Colin said, they've reached a high water mark by maximising the vote of the young and the perpetual victims. They've appealed to that person who lives their lives full of regrets and wants to have either someone to blame or someone to punish.Fortunately Britain still has a majority of people unwilling to let themselves be that pathetic. The Brit is usually a hardworking person with a respect for other hardworking people. They don't feel the need to be bitter and resentful, but there has always been that type of person who sees a nice car in the street and instead of asking himself how he can earn one he decides to kick the wing mirror off.So Labour need to do what they did when Kinnock lost in 1992 (with MORE seats by the way). They need to elect a leader who can win the centre ground. If they had done that last time then Theresa May would've been back in Maidenhead rather than number 10.They need to develop a winning mentality, but their membership simply isn't built for that because they're not winners.

New Labour have been rejected.

More and more Blairities who opposed Corbyn over the past 2 years have came out and backed Jez.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

My last work place was a company owned by a labour supporter, now a labour lord. He did dreadfully at school and skipped university completely. I mean what a pathetic, stupid loser he must be to have only made himself £150 million.

dtovey89

New Labour have been rejected.More and more Blairities who opposed Corbyn … New Labour have been rejected.More and more Blairities who opposed Corbyn over the past 2 years have came out and backed Jez.

Old Labour have been rejected for 43 years. But next year is your year right? X)

Kinnock got more seats. That wasn't good enough then so they reassessed and won because Blair was actually quite smart and wanted to win.

Labour supporters aren't smart, nor do they want to win. They're losers evidenced by the fact that they keep losing general elections.

CoeK

My last work place was a company owned by a labour supporter, now a … My last work place was a company owned by a labour supporter, now a labour lord. He did dreadfully at school and skipped university completely. I mean what a pathetic, stupid loser he must be to have only made himself £150 million.

Did he have a name?

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Old Labour have been rejected for 43 years. But next year is your year … Old Labour have been rejected for 43 years. But next year is your year right? X)Kinnock got more seats. That wasn't good enough then so they reassessed and won because Blair was actually quite smart and wanted to win.Labour supporters aren't smart, nor do they want to win. They're losers evidenced by the fact that they keep losing general elections.

Keep on smearing and tarnishing us as losers.
    It'll make even more the better when Corbyn becomes PM and comes after people like you.

I will love it.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Did he have a name?

Willie Haughey

dtovey89

New Labour have been rejected.More and more Blairities who opposed Corbyn … New Labour have been rejected.More and more Blairities who opposed Corbyn over the past 2 years have came out and backed Jez.

Because they now think they can win, they didn't want him as leader 8 weeks ago and the Tory court case kept him in which I bet they regretting now.

I have said it before but will say it again. There are to many people in the 60% that didn't vote labour this time who could never vote for them with JC as leader and that is the reality of labour getting in. He will never be able to win over these people. Someone else without his baggage would have won comfortably.

dtovey89

Keep on smearing and tarnishing us as losers.It'll make even more the … Keep on smearing and tarnishing us as losers.It'll make even more the better when Corbyn becomes PM and comes after people like you.I will love it.

Once again showing that envy. You want to see successful people brought down rather than everyone elevated but that's understandable. Maybe you just need a hug or something. X)

And I'm not smearing you. Labour lost, ergo they are losers. I know your generation was bought up to believe that everyone is a winner and you all get participation medals but there are winners and losers in all things. Labour lost.

And they'll lose next time too. But you seem so strident in your belief that maybe we should have a bet. Come on, maybe you'll beat me and feel like a winner. Wouldn't that be fun? X)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767191
      2. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?712
      3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread424014478
      4. Virgin Media Price Hike retention Deals1319

See more discussions