Groups

What do people think of breath of the wild? (Spoilers!)

Discuss the aspects of the game, i.e new features.

247 Comments

Original Poster

I got it on wiiu ended up playing it about five hours, it strikes me as very SOTC with a Ni No Kuni feeling mixed it.

Its good but it doesn't feel very zelda at this point and you could easily take the name of the box and no one would really realise imho.

I think the main things are the stamina bar for climbing and swimming and the foraging for food that does it, it feels strange to be climbing a tree in a zelda game to gather apples.

I don't have a master sword is there a master sword? I'm finding the destructible weapons annoying and trying to keep a torch alight in the snow so you don't freeze is a PITA.

So far i have blown myself up twice, drowned, caught fire and fell off a tower, it's definitely the hardest Zelda I've played in that respect.

And I'm disappointed by the lack of use for the wiiu pads extra features

There are other ways to keep warm, i.e spicy food and special clothing.

I love it. I wasn't too sure for the first couple of hours but then really took to it. I remember feeling the same about ocarina of time back in 98,99.
    The world map looks huge, I'm only just making my way into kakariko village (took me ages to work out how to get to the first 4 shrines!).
    I would have preferred customisable button configuration as don't get on with the current layout even after putting in 5 hours. There's definitely some noticeable frame rate drops which is a shame but sure they'll patch some of that over time.
    It definitely plays differently to the other Zelda's but overall think I'll be my favourite game this year.
    I'm still trying to decide if I like the lack of music in the game world. It definitely helps submerse you in the environment just having the sounds of the water, wind and nature.
    I was surprised how small the switch is when I received it. I thought it would be slightly bigger.

Original Poster

SuperMariosDad

I love it. I wasn't too sure for the first couple of hours but then … I love it. I wasn't too sure for the first couple of hours but then really took to it. I remember feeling the same about ocarina of time back in 98,99. The world map looks huge, I'm only just making my way into kakariko village (took me ages to work out how to get to the first 4 shrines!).I would have preferred customisable button configuration as don't get on with the current layout even after putting in 5 hours. There's definitely some noticeable frame rate drops which is a shame but sure they'll patch some of that over time.It definitely plays differently to the other Zelda's but overall think I'll be my favourite game this year. I'm still trying to decide if I like the lack of music in the game world. It definitely helps submerse you in the environment just having the sounds of the water, wind and nature. I was surprised how small the switch is when I received it. I thought it would be slightly bigger.

You are from that far in the future and still playing zelda oO

Oh and on wiiu I've only noticed frame rate dropping about 3 times its in the areas of long grass and strong winds when i turn the camera quick its no big deal.

I just got the paraglider
    Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 4th Mar

Banned

So far I've done the 4 'training dungeons' and had that chat with the old man. So now the adventure really begins.

Playing on the switch docked and it looks really good on my tv. The art style is lovely! Not noticed frame rate issues either.

I just keep falling off high places. Thank goodness there isn't a Red Cross on the map for every place I died!

Original Poster

Marcoos

So far I've done the 4 'training dungeons' and had that chat with the old … So far I've done the 4 'training dungeons' and had that chat with the old man. So now the adventure really begins.Playing on the switch docked and it looks really good on my tv. The art style is lovely! Not noticed frame rate issues either. I just keep falling off high places. Thank goodness there isn't a Red Cross on the map for every place I died!

I don't understand that i only had one so asumed it was where enemies killed you as a warning of danger...until i fell in the ice cold river and got one there too, didn't get one for drowning or falling off the tower or blowing myself up or setting myself on fire

Did you pray to the goddess to get your reward for 4 orbs?
    Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 4th Mar

Banned

Error440

I don't understand that i only had one so asumed it was where enemies … I don't understand that i only had one so asumed it was where enemies killed you as a warning of danger...until i fell in the ice cold river and got one there too, didn't get one for drowning or falling off the tower or blowing myself up or setting myself on fireDid you pray to the goddess to get your reward for 4 orbs?

I was just being clumsy and falling from really high locations

I did indeed pray, went with an extra heart. But maybe should have gone stamina. Oh well!

Error440

I got it on wiiu ended up playing it about five hours, it strikes me as … I got it on wiiu ended up playing it about five hours, it strikes me as very SOTC with a Ni No Kuni feeling mixed it.Its good but it doesn't feel very zelda at this point and you could easily take the name of the box and no one would really realise imho.I think the main things are the stamina bar for climbing and swimming and the foraging for food that does it, it feels strange to be climbing a tree in a zelda game to gather apples. I don't have a master sword is there a master sword? I'm finding the destructible weapons annoying and trying to keep a torch alight in the snow so you don't freeze is a PITA.So far i have blown myself up twice, drowned, caught fire and fell off a tower, it's definitely the hardest Zelda I've played in that respect.And I'm disappointed by the lack of use for the wiiu pads extra features

Just cook up a spicy pepper and meat dish and this should protect you from the cold for about 12 minutes

Error440

You are from that far in the future and still playing zelda oOOh and on … You are from that far in the future and still playing zelda oOOh and on wiiu I've only noticed frame rate dropping about 3 times its in the areas of long grass and strong winds when i turn the camera quick its no big deal.I just got the paraglider

You're probably not far from reaching Kakariko Village, which is where is really starts to feel like a proper 'Zelda' game

Original Poster

fuzzydunlop

You're probably not far from reaching Kakariko Village, which is where is … You're probably not far from reaching Kakariko Village, which is where is really starts to feel like a proper 'Zelda' game

I actually fell off the pleateu earlier by accident, i know there is a co!d weather tunic up there and i was going to have a good look for it starting by following the wall but i fell off it, i have tamed a horse and am now waiting for the rain to stop so i can have a go at climbing the bridge

Error440

I actually fell off the pleateu earlier by accident, i know there is a … I actually fell off the pleateu earlier by accident, i know there is a co!d weather tunic up there and i was going to have a good look for it starting by following the wall but i fell off it, i have tamed a horse and am now waiting for the rain to stop so i can have a go at climbing the bridge

I've just pushed a rock down a hill and 'found' something Hate having to kill the foxes for meat lol. Love the game anyhow!

Original Poster

fuzzydunlop

I've just pushed a rock down a hill and 'found' something Hate having … I've just pushed a rock down a hill and 'found' something Hate having to kill the foxes for meat lol. Love the game anyhow!

I've not managed to kill a fox yet, gone back and found the tunic tho, it was somewhere I'd been and just missed the obvious chest while hugging walls

I've not read anyone's reply just incase there's spoilers.

In short the game is stressful at best.

Getting one shot from something off screen isn't great. It's mainly the way I spend my deaths.

Controls can be annoying at times. Trying to line up a jump, tap the analog and there goes Link running of the edge...

Combat is fun, but weapon destruction is annoying and ruins the fun. (hopefully improves as I get further).

First dungeon (Ruta) boss was crap in his first phase. I just ran up to him spammed slash and he did very little damage.

Phase 2 was more enjoyable but was tricky lining up the statis cool down if ya messed up.

The guiding in the game had me lost for a good few hours.

I got given 4 markers to go to, and I ended up going to the desert and wasting a lot of time. But finally reached the Zora's domain.

At the moment, the game isn't my game of the year. It's far from it. It's enjoyable at times, but it has these small issues that effect the smoothness of the game.

Weapon durability is a joke
    forced to cook constantly
    swimming controls are clunky
    horse controls are clunky
    stamina is annoying
    Voice acting is so so. Princess Zelda voice is just annoying.
    Nintendo hand holding isn't needed (you got 4 more terminals, you got 3, 2, 1, look you opened a new door... really???)

Frame rate has been great for the Wii U.

Original Poster

Just cut a tree down to create a bridge now thats cool, horse controls are fine its a horse it has a brain give it a pat to calm it down and all that it seems fine to me considering your riding a horse nit a bicycle, i still don't think it feels zelda tho they could have sold it as something new as its so different but maybe that's the point they know it will sell with that name, just shame they need some new IPs to get newbies in

Error440

Just cut a tree down to create a bridge now thats cool, horse controls … Just cut a tree down to create a bridge now thats cool, horse controls are fine its a horse it has a brain give it a pat to calm it down and all that it seems fine to me considering your riding a horse nit a bicycle, i still don't think it feels zelda tho they could have sold it as something new as its so different but maybe that's the point they know it will sell with that name, just shame they need some new IPs to get newbies in

​It's not that the controls on the horse as super bad. It's the whole "look a tiny rock, I'll stop and throw a tamprum" Then having to turn around to readjust.

They should've added experience points and leveling.
    Because weapons break so often, I've stopped going into camps and killing the creatures for their chest and weapons. It's not rewarding after the first 5 or so times.

Original Poster

kos1c

​It's not that the controls on the horse as super bad. It's the whole " … ​It's not that the controls on the horse as super bad. It's the whole "look a tiny rock, I'll stop and throw a tamprum" Then having to turn around to readjust. They should've added experience points and leveling. Because weapons break so often, I've stopped going into camps and killing the creatures for their chest and weapons. It's not rewarding after the first 5 or so times.

Maybe you should think of a better strategy then charging in all guns blazing

Error440

Maybe you should think of a better strategy then charging in all guns … Maybe you should think of a better strategy then charging in all guns blazing

​I'm not sure how that'll solve the issue of weapons having low duration?

Original Poster

kos1c

​I'm not sure how that'll solve the issue of weapons having low duration?

What if i told you using weapons to attack head on is a last resort when your cornered

Error440

What if i told you using weapons to attack head on is a last resort when … What if i told you using weapons to attack head on is a last resort when your cornered

​I'm unsure how far into the game you are. The boss in the first divine beast requires you to hit it with a weapon. For me resulting in 3 broken weapons during the fight.

Original Poster

kos1c

​I'm unsure how far into the game you are. The boss in the first divine b … ​I'm unsure how far into the game you are. The boss in the first divine beast requires you to hit it with a weapon. For me resulting in 3 broken weapons during the fight.

Save em for that then and Chuck bombs at everything else

Bombs don't do tons of damage
    But I'll continue doing what I'm doing. As it'd working.

Original Poster

I like bombs and barrels and chandeliers etc

I tried a bomb arrow with one of those metal spider laser shooting thingies. 180 shot to the eye..... did zero damage!!

Methinks I'm not meant to be in this area yet! X)

(I only read the comment above this one (to avoid spoilers)

Must say the only thing i find annoying is the weapons only lasting a few hits, that and my awful sense of direction lol

Decided to pick this up today. Thought I'd better had before it's OOS. Don't even have a switch yet Holding out for the Neon Console.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6FoQDuWgAAGHIZ.jpg:large

Sim2017

Must say the only thing i find annoying is the weapons only lasting a few … Must say the only thing i find annoying is the weapons only lasting a few hits, that and my awful sense of direction lol

if you get a few hits in the enemy will often drop his weapon - beat, steal, use, repeat is probably the best way. X)

FantasyDeals

Decided to pick this up today. Thought I'd better had before it's OOS. … Decided to pick this up today. Thought I'd better had before it's OOS. Don't even have a switch yet Holding out for the Neon Console.

Show off

I managed to bag me the Twilight Princess from smyths for 15 quid.

X)

BillySollox

Show off :pI managed to bag me the Twilight Princess from smyths for 15 … Show off :pI managed to bag me the Twilight Princess from smyths for 15 quid. :pX)

Not from Swansea, I hope. They had 1 left, someone nabbed it before me

oh, and maybe it's time for link selfies?

http://i.imgur.com/MVroCCZ.jpg

FantasyDeals

Not from Swansea, I hope. They had 1 left, someone nabbed it before me

I bought online (forgot to mention the 4 quid delivery charge) Still, even with delivery I have my first Amibo to play with, and the CD (main reason for buying, if I'm honest) and a new sealed game to sell.

kos1c

​I'm unsure how far into the game you are. The boss in the first divine b … ​I'm unsure how far into the game you are. The boss in the first divine beast requires you to hit it with a weapon. For me resulting in 3 broken weapons during the fight.

we haven't reached "Bosses" yet is what I'm thinking. I have 12 things to look for... I'm 12+ hours in and can't find the first! I'm just taking my time and exploring whilst not sure where to go next.... First Zelda game where you can truly explore whilst not sure where to go next.

BillySollox

we haven't reached "Bosses" yet is what I'm thinking. I have 12 things to … we haven't reached "Bosses" yet is what I'm thinking. I have 12 things to look for... I'm 12+ hours in and can't find the first! I'm just taking my time and exploring whilst not sure where to go next.... First Zelda game where you can truly explore whilst not sure where to go next.

​That's the main issue I'm struggling with.
    The 4 divine beasts aren't easy to get too.

I've just completed my 2nd one so far. But I'm spending way to much time getting from A to B.

The baddies in the next area are taking me out quick with my 10 hearts.

kos1c

​That's the main issue I'm struggling with. The 4 divine beasts aren't e … ​That's the main issue I'm struggling with. The 4 divine beasts aren't easy to get too. I've just completed my 2nd one so far. But I'm spending way to much time getting from A to B. The baddies in the next area are taking me out quick with my 10 hearts.

Dude - take your time....

http://i.imgur.com/teiL4jm.jpg

There's more to enjoy!

Original Poster

I've been playing 21 hours, done **** all really, i do have four horses tho

Error440

I've been playing 21 hours, done **** all really, i do have four horses … I've been playing 21 hours, done **** all really, i do have four horses tho

I haven't met a sodding horse yet!!

Where is Epona?? X)

Is it a spoiler to mention the Mike Oldfield esque music we occasionaly hear in the game?

Original Poster

BillySollox

I haven't met a sodding horse yet!! Where is Epona?? X)

They run wild and free! Ctch them tame them take them to. Stable to register them you can keep 5 at a time, i have Epona its got a speckled bum and blonde hair but its near enough

BillySollox

Dude - take your time....There's more to enjoy!

​With me I lose interest in games super quickly unless their gripping from the get go.

My views on botw are fairly low to average. I feel they should've added more features (experience/leveling/stats, weapon crafting, repair kits or weapon duration upgrades).

The world is rather large and is filled with hardly anything in it.

As above, weapons break so often that I personally don't feel the need to aim for these special weapons in chests. As they will break rather quickly.
    Sitting on 9+ weapon slots myself, I don't have much issue with them breaking.

But because I don't feel there's much reward getting into a camp of 10 bad guys to walk away with a so so polearm. I'm usually just running through packs, climbing cliffs and gliding to my main goal (the 4 divine beasts, and shines).

I've not really spent much time doing side missions, as the ones I've come across are telling me to make special elixirs, I just don't feel the fetch quests at the moment.

I got a feeling, I'll complete the main story and move onto the next game in the pile.

Error440

They run wild and free! Ctch them tame them take them to. Stable to … They run wild and free! Ctch them tame them take them to. Stable to register them you can keep 5 at a time, i have Epona its got a speckled bum and blonde hair but its near enough

This is sounding like a gold Chocobo thing! Will Zelda be at a round table?
    Edited by: "BillySollox" 5th Mar

Original Poster

kos1c

​With me I lose interest in games super quickly unless their gripping f … ​With me I lose interest in games super quickly unless their gripping from the get go. My views on botw are fairly low to average. I feel they should've added more features (experience/leveling/stats, weapon crafting, repair kits or weapon duration upgrades). The world is rather large and is filled with hardly anything in it. As above, weapons break so often that I personally don't feel the need to aim for these special weapons in chests. As they will break rather quickly. Sitting on 9+ weapon slots myself, I don't have much issue with them breaking. But because I don't feel there's much reward getting into a camp of 10 bad guys to walk away with a so so polearm. I'm usually just running through packs, climbing cliffs and gliding to my main goal (the 4 divine beasts, and shines). I've not really spent much time doing side missions, as the ones I've come across are telling me to make special elixirs, I just don't feel the fetch quests at the moment. I got a feeling, I'll complete the main story and move onto the next game in the pile.

Ride some horses, find some secret stuff, do some snow boarding, cook some food and do some hunting, chill out its not a race, as games are ultimately a pointless distraction from life, there is no achievement in completing them, only in enjoying the time in them.

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What is the true cost of 4K HDR home cinema entertainment in 2017?78
      2. Jury service1824
      3. Large card print/poster..34
      4. What laptop to choose?33

See more discussions