Groups

what do people use food steamers for???

I might be sounding very dumb here but have never used a steamer before and would like to know what you cook using them??? Are they any good???

28 Comments

Vegetables mostly for me, though I have done fish and chicken too. The veggies taste so much better steamed... I'm sure theres loads more I haven't got round to trying too! :-D

lol im not sure either, i think its a healthy way of cooking veg... but i could be wrong :oops:

i love mine i throw steak mushrooms and onions carrots and oxo switch on low and when i get home i have really tender steak and i buy a jacket potato on the way home

dmh77;5151508

Vegetables mostly for me, though I have done fish and chicken too. The … Vegetables mostly for me, though I have done fish and chicken too. The veggies taste so much better steamed... I'm sure theres loads more I haven't got round to trying too! :-D

yeah thats what id ahve said to. At first i thought this said food streamerS

shosie;5151517

yeah thats what id ahve said to. At first i thought this said food … yeah thats what id ahve said to. At first i thought this said food streamerS

Lol.... close!! :thumbsup:

linw;5151516

i love mine i throw steak mushrooms and onions carrots and oxo switch on … i love mine i throw steak mushrooms and onions carrots and oxo switch on low and when i get home i have really tender steak and i buy a jacket potato on the way home

wow dont you watch the fire safetey adverts?

Are you not more thinking of a pressure cooker?

vegetables. eggs, rice

dmh77;5151519

Lol.... close!! :thumbsup:

yeah i thought surely for decoration, and then thought why would you want tissue paper on food?

Original Poster

i might buy one from argos.... trying to eat healthy these days...lets see how long it will all last

shosie;5151528

yeah i thought surely for decoration, and then thought why would you … yeah i thought surely for decoration, and then thought why would you want tissue paper on food?

:giggle:

momofone;5151530

i might buy one from argos.... trying to eat healthy these days...lets … i might buy one from argos.... trying to eat healthy these days...lets see how long it will all last

Lol, healthy is good.... but like I said before, vegetables really do taste better steamed, and when you are doing your sunday roast, you can stack 'em all!! No more hob full of pans!!! :thumbsup:

dmh77;5151540

Lol, healthy is good.... but like I said before, vegetables really do … Lol, healthy is good.... but like I said before, vegetables really do taste better steamed, and when you are doing your sunday roast, you can stack 'em all!! No more hob full of pans!!! :thumbsup:

agree its so much easier and no faffing about.

corriessvk;5151545

agree its so much easier and no faffing about.

And it keeps everything hot for ages too!!! :-D

shosie;5151524

wow dont you watch the fire safetey adverts?Are you not more thinking of … wow dont you watch the fire safetey adverts?Are you not more thinking of a pressure cooker?

nope this is a slow cooker it cooks slow and thats why they are brilliant for when you get home from work as the steam in the slow cooker stops the food drying out i do own a pressure cooker as well though but hardly use it now

dmh77;5151551

And it keeps everything hot for ages too!!! :-D

yeh. i keep mine on the automatic keep warm if everything else isnt ready.

linw;5151570

nope this is a slow cooker it cooks slow and thats why they are brilliant … nope this is a slow cooker it cooks slow and thats why they are brilliant for when you get home from work as the steam in the slow cooker stops the food drying out i do own a pressure cooker as well though but hardly use it now

ahhh ok then:thumbsup:

Original Poster

cool...thanks every1.... i have a one year old and i think it will make life more easier, rather than boiling vegetables i can give him steamed ones.... will buy one of these soon...

[SIZE="6"][CENTER]Syrup sponge[/CENTER][/SIZE]

Banned

you can steam chicken and veg.

Just remembered what I did with the chicken... chicken breast, a layer of cheese, then wrap in bacon. wrap again in tin foil.... yum!!! :-D

Original Poster

dmh77;5151614

Just remembered what I did with the chicken... chicken breast, a layer of … Just remembered what I did with the chicken... chicken breast, a layer of cheese, then wrap in bacon. wrap again in tin foil.... yum!!! :-D

any more yummy ideas?

I put in boil in the bag fish, potatoes and veg, all done in 20 minutes.

Some tips and ideas here. :thumbsup:

waitrose.com/foo…spx

momofone;5151634

any more yummy ideas?

Lol, not off the top of my head, TBH I use it more for convenience than anything, it really is handy! ;-)

I think when you buy one, it will come with a recipe book.... most kitchen gadgets do.. ( trust me, my kitchen is full of them! :oops:)

Good for vegetables, they keep much more of the flavour rather than boiling them, where the flavour (and vitamins) go into the water.

Mine is great, I used it once to steam to mange tout, then it has sat in the kitchen cupboard collecting dust, another useless kitchen gadget to add to the collection.

Banned

DKLS;5152129

Mine is great, I used it once to steam to mange tout, then it has sat in … Mine is great, I used it once to steam to mange tout, then it has sat in the kitchen cupboard collecting dust, another useless kitchen gadget to add to the collection.

What you talking about? Its not a gadget but an essential in my house, how else do you cook vegetables??

goldmax;5152212

What you talking about? Its not a gadget but an essential in my house, … What you talking about? Its not a gadget but an essential in my house, how else do you cook vegetables??

Same here! Couldnt imagine boiling the life out of veg in pans of water ever again -Ugh!

Banned

Has anyone said 'to steam food' yet :?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie11
      2. Old one pound coins are they worth more then their face value913
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767196
      4. Shana Tova to all Jewish HUKDers11

See more discussions