What do people who hate sweetner do?

Found 6th Aug
was never a massive drinker of pop but at weekends specially hot ones, a glass of sugary pop is what you need.

I don't like coca cola and despise sweetner, always can taste it few seconds after a gulp, what other options is there left?

DIY, products with sugar still?
Community Updates
Ask
44 Comments
Imagine their drinking with the added imaginary sweetness
Water
You can still find fizzy pop without sweeteners... usually posh style pop such as the san pellegrino range
I'm struggling slightly with this myself - that sweetener taste is just a bit nasty. I stocked up massively before the tax came in, but i'm going to run out of the hard stuff at some point. Hopefully the fact that the artificially sweetened range is now the main focus for a lot of drinks companies might mean they'll make a bigger effort to improve the taste of their products.
sheripeterson29 m ago

You can still find fizzy pop without sweeteners... usually posh style pop …You can still find fizzy pop without sweeteners... usually posh style pop such as the san pellegrino range

Nope, San Pellegrino recently changed the recipe to include sweeteners.
Make home made lemonade but with sparkling water
I don’t like the taste of sweeteners. Natural juices and iced tea do it for me when I want something more than water (and cooler than tea).
sheripeterson1 h, 42 m ago

You can still find fizzy pop without sweeteners... usually posh style pop …You can still find fizzy pop without sweeteners... usually posh style pop such as the san pellegrino range

Tesco groceries type San Pellegrino in and see 90p can so think yes might of found one finally.. look at ingredients sweetner is present, 90p rip off
dealpickle1 h, 27 m ago

I'm struggling slightly with this myself - that sweetener taste is just a …I'm struggling slightly with this myself - that sweetener taste is just a bit nasty. I stocked up massively before the tax came in, but i'm going to run out of the hard stuff at some point. Hopefully the fact that the artificially sweetened range is now the main focus for a lot of drinks companies might mean they'll make a bigger effort to improve the taste of their products.

I don't think it ever be comparable, diet coke has been messing with sweetner for a decade still taste nasty
psychobitchfromhell1 h, 13 m ago

Make home made lemonade but with sparkling water

I have been messing with a few things, lime squash is a good one, can get rose lime juice but is pretty pricey 2.20£ for litre
melomanias14 m ago

I don’t like the taste of sweeteners. Natural juices and iced tea do it f …I don’t like the taste of sweeteners. Natural juices and iced tea do it for me when I want something more than water (and cooler than tea).

Gf grabbed me an ice tea yesterday and low and behold it's got sweetner in, poured half in sink when I got home
Creatishh6th Aug

I have been messing with a few things, lime squash is a good one, can get …I have been messing with a few things, lime squash is a good one, can get rose lime juice but is pretty pricey 2.20£ for litre

Lime squash with soda water is very refreshing but not very sweet. I believe you can make drinks fizzy just by adding a little bicarbonate of soda. It reacts with the acid i think.
It’s getting harder and harder to find anything drinkable nowadays. You really have to inspect every drink you buy, stupid sugar police. They want to bring in sugar tax, ok, but let us pay extra rather than change the recipe and make them disgusting. I honestly think drinks companies don’t employ taste testers
Try Lager or Beer and stop being a Big Girl's Blouse

Sorry for being Sizeist to the PC brigade.
Sorry for not being gender neutral to the PC brigade.
etc.
psychobitchfromhell14 m ago

Lime squash with soda water is very refreshing but not very sweet. I …Lime squash with soda water is very refreshing but not very sweet. I believe you can make drinks fizzy just by adding a little bicarbonate of soda. It reacts with the acid i think.

Bicarb with sparkling water? Might give it a go, yes not very sweet although on a hot day I'd rather not be guzzling something that sweet anyways, 1 glass max of something really sugary. 17p 2L sparkling water
pinkleponkle6th Aug

It’s getting harder and harder to find anything drinkable nowadays. You r …It’s getting harder and harder to find anything drinkable nowadays. You really have to inspect every drink you buy, stupid sugar police. They want to bring in sugar tax, ok, but let us pay extra rather than change the recipe and make them disgusting. I honestly think drinks companies don’t employ taste testers

Most diet drinks on the first gulp they taste nice, refreshing and the same however the big issue is the massive aftertaste of dry chemicals, not worth it
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell6th Aug

Try Lager or Beer and stop being a Big Girl's Blouse Sorry for being …Try Lager or Beer and stop being a Big Girl's Blouse Sorry for being Sizeist to the PC brigade.Sorry for not being gender neutral to the PC brigade.etc.

Hate 🍺, taste revolting to me... I'm sure I could get to like it but right now I'd rather consume bad calories and fats by eating cake, want to stay fit for aslong as possible
Creatishh6th Aug

Bicarb with sparkling water? Might give it a go, yes not very sweet …Bicarb with sparkling water? Might give it a go, yes not very sweet although on a hot day I'd rather not be guzzling something that sweet anyways, 1 glass max of something really sugary. 17p 2L sparkling water

No bicarb to make it fizz instead of fizzy water. So just make up your favourite sugary squash and make it fizz using bicarb. That's the old fashioned way. The other thing you could do would be to get some fruit syrups and dilute them with fizzy water. We get them from Lidl for about a quid a bottle. The one I'm looking at how says it is sweetened with sugar. I'm the opposite, I hate the full sugar drinks. I find them way too sweet and the make your teeth all furry
psychobitchfromhell5 m ago

No bicarb to make it fizz instead of fizzy water. So just make up your …No bicarb to make it fizz instead of fizzy water. So just make up your favourite sugary squash and make it fizz using bicarb. That's the old fashioned way. The other thing you could do would be to get some fruit syrups and dilute them with fizzy water. We get them from Lidl for about a quid a bottle. The one I'm looking at how says it is sweetened with sugar. I'm the opposite, I hate the full sugar drinks. I find them way too sweet and the make your teeth all furry

By fruit syrups do you mean cartons of fruit juice? ... Quite nice orange juice half and half with sparkling water
Creatishh6th Aug

By fruit syrups do you mean cartons of fruit juice? ... Quite nice orange …By fruit syrups do you mean cartons of fruit juice? ... Quite nice orange juice half and half with sparkling water

I mean this sort of thing.
sainsburys.co.uk/web…40g
It does say fructose but that is not a saccharine type taste
I switched to making iced tea. Brew your fruity flavour of choice, I then add 3 glasses of ice to the large container and place it in the fridge.

You can further sweeten with whatever you wish but I use natural lemonade.
Buy sugary drinks or use honey
I’m the same, think coke is gross and the supermarkets seem to be removing most other drinks from their isles, even things like tango seem to be going from Tesco

the zero and diet versions of drinks are horrible too. Been drinking a lot more fruit juice now
This topic is golden....
Since sugar levy all drinks changed recipies to include sweeteners. Just check content of sugar on a can of popular fizzy drinks now and from last year
Edited by: "mattsk" 6th Aug
mastablasta4 h, 0 m ago

I switched to making iced tea. Brew your fruity flavour of choice, I then …I switched to making iced tea. Brew your fruity flavour of choice, I then add 3 glasses of ice to the large container and place it in the fridge. You can further sweeten with whatever you wish but I use natural lemonade.

could you tell me how much of what and what you do, i'd be intrested
mattsk1 h, 36 m ago

This topic is golden....Since sugar levy all drinks changed recipies to …This topic is golden....Since sugar levy all drinks changed recipies to include sweeteners. Just check content of sugar on a can of popular fizzy drinks now and from last year

I don't get your point?
Sainsbury's high juice is the only squash I've found that doesn't have sweetener in them. They cost £2.30 for a litre but you could use sparkling water if you want it fizzy. They also do the low sugar versions so check the labels but you can tell as they are only £1.20 and have a light blue cap. I managed to get a summer fruits, blackcurrant and orange in my local. They also had apple and mango but I'm not that keen on that one. I've stocked up as don't know how long they will be doing them as Tesco used to but then changed to add sweetener.
smargetts8 m ago

Sainsbury's high juice is the only squash I've found that doesn't have …Sainsbury's high juice is the only squash I've found that doesn't have sweetener in them. They cost £2.30 for a litre but you could use sparkling water if you want it fizzy. They also do the low sugar versions so check the labels but you can tell as they are only £1.20 and have a light blue cap. I managed to get a summer fruits, blackcurrant and orange in my local. They also had apple and mango but I'm not that keen on that one. I've stocked up as don't know how long they will be doing them as Tesco used to but then changed to add sweetener.

I have looked at these and there basically 500ml orange juice carton (65p) 400ml water and 100g of sugar.

One thing about this sugar crap is 520 million the goverment are racking in and this money is going towards funding for school breakfasts and sport equipment, I can go round every school in my country and none of them can say they received anything, seems like a a big con
I'm nearly off of sugary drinks now just water and squash that's about it hate the taste of sweeteners
Creatishh6th Aug

what sugary drinks?

Anything you like.
smargetts2 h, 4 m ago

Sainsbury's high juice is the only squash I've found that doesn't have …Sainsbury's high juice is the only squash I've found that doesn't have sweetener in them. They cost £2.30 for a litre but you could use sparkling water if you want it fizzy. They also do the low sugar versions so check the labels but you can tell as they are only £1.20 and have a light blue cap. I managed to get a summer fruits, blackcurrant and orange in my local. They also had apple and mango but I'm not that keen on that one. I've stocked up as don't know how long they will be doing them as Tesco used to but then changed to add sweetener.

I agree with you on the Sainsbury's variety hi-juice drinks, very nice and refreshing when drunk with cold, sparking water.
I recently stocked up on Ribena before the tax came in and the "new" taste is absolutely awful. Can hardly get the kids to drink it. Nowadays, I've switched to cold, sparkling water. Badoit is my favourite followed by San Pellegrino. After that, it's just plain lager!
jjmmww19 h, 51 m ago

I'm nearly off of sugary drinks now just water and squash that's about it …I'm nearly off of sugary drinks now just water and squash that's about it hate the taste of sweeteners

What squash
cmdr_elito9 h, 3 m ago

Anything you like.

Coca cola/pepsi is only one I'm aware off
Creatishh6th Aug

Gf grabbed me an ice tea yesterday and low and behold it's got sweetner …Gf grabbed me an ice tea yesterday and low and behold it's got sweetner in, poured half in sink when I got home

Yes, I think it might be due to the sugar tax, which is making it harder to find drinks with no sweeteners. But homemade ice tea can take any sugar you like
Alternatively, if you prefer something slightly quicker to prepare, I just checked Lipton Ice Tea powder on Amazon and it still contains only cane sugar, no sweeteners.
Creatishh6th Aug

Gf grabbed me an ice tea yesterday and low and behold it's got sweetner …Gf grabbed me an ice tea yesterday and low and behold it's got sweetner in, poured half in sink when I got home

I had the same problem - I bought a bottle of Iced Tea for 29p from Home Bargains last week, didn't even think to check it for sweetener, but noticed it as soon as I tasted it. Can't imagine Iced Tea had much sugar in to start with, so why add sweetener?
dealpickle4 m ago

I had the same problem - I bought a bottle of Iced Tea for 29p from Home …I had the same problem - I bought a bottle of Iced Tea for 29p from Home Bargains last week, didn't even think to check it for sweetener, but noticed it as soon as I tasted it. Can't imagine Iced Tea had much sugar in to start with, so why add sweetener?

On a 2 litre bottle of coke they have to pay 36p sugar tax, so if it was selling for 1£ why can't it be put on sale for 1.36£, instead of goes to 2£, why?

Can someone explain the economics of this
Creatishh7th Aug

On a 2 litre bottle of coke they have to pay 36p sugar tax, so if it was …On a 2 litre bottle of coke they have to pay 36p sugar tax, so if it was selling for 1£ why can't it be put on sale for 1.36£, instead of goes to 2£, why? Can someone explain the economics of this

I would guess retailers ramped up their prices to see what they could get away with after the tax came on, and whether the Diet ranges outsold the standard variety. None of the supermarkets seem willing to break ranks on this at the moment, and they all seem to be selling at much the same price, but I would guess that a 2l bottle of standard Pepsi will drop to about £1.50 pre-Xmas. Glad I stocked up with 3l bottles from Iceland when they were 2 for £3 - those were the days!
dealpickle10 m ago

I would guess retailers ramped up their prices to see what they could get …I would guess retailers ramped up their prices to see what they could get away with after the tax came on, and whether the Diet ranges outsold the standard variety. None of the supermarkets seem willing to break ranks on this at the moment, and they all seem to be selling at much the same price, but I would guess that a 2l bottle of standard Pepsi will drop to about £1.50 pre-Xmas. Glad I stocked up with 3l bottles from Iceland when they were 2 for £3 - those were the days!

Yes, but like you said, surely by now if a retailer could sell it for 1.36£ surely one of them would just as a loss leader to bring people in, there must be something to it
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants