What do you do to prevent indoor cat from going ouside?

Posted 1st Aug 2020
As it's hot, we want to open the doors and windows but I am pretty sure the cat will eventually try to step out and don't want it to get lost outside

Any hacks other than to not open the doors and windows which we are already doing

We were thinking of making the garden cat proof but it's is pretty big so dropping the plans for now and will do it at somepoint.

Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
furbars01/08/2020 11:16

Cruel to keeps cats prisoner indoors 24/7. They are naturally outside …Cruel to keeps cats prisoner indoors 24/7. They are naturally outside animals and love to roam and explore. You would be better off getting a budgie or similar pet it you don't want it to go outside.

I know what you mean cos it’s not cruel to keep a bird in a cage, much better option.
Let it go outside. It's a cat, it's meant to explore the outside environment. Get it microchipped, fit an ID tag to its collar and let it do what it's meant to do.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 1st Aug
My cat is the lasiest cat ever. proper garfield.

We can leave all windows and doors open but she has no interest in going out. we got a big garden with oak trees and fields behind it.

Nope, prefers to sleep on the bed. I wanna know how you get a get to go out! been trying years now, she just inst interested haha
Haircut_10001/08/2020 09:24

Let it go outside. It's a cat, it's meant to explore the outside …Let it go outside. It's a cat, it's meant to explore the outside environment. Get it microchipped, fit an ID tag its collar and let it do what it's meant to do.

and **** in everyone else's garden and kill all the birds.
25 Comments
A cat that never leaves the house? Well I suppose if it has never been outside it doesn’t know what it’s missing. Can you leave it in one room/ two adjoining rooms with doors shut whilst rest of the house gets some air?
Edited by: "Jump_Out_Gang" 1st Aug
Door netting

Google
I built a wire mesh "door" to go outside the back door, means we can leave the door open and let air in and the cats can sit and watch the world.
Just a basic wood frame, some wire mesh and a couple of hinges.

Also for windows, bought a bunch of these:

41549706-uAQvz.jpg
Means you can open it but not far enough for a cat to get through and can easily be removed if you want to open window more.
Edited by: "Satan_Claws" 1st Aug
My cat is the lasiest cat ever. proper garfield.

We can leave all windows and doors open but she has no interest in going out. we got a big garden with oak trees and fields behind it.

Nope, prefers to sleep on the bed. I wanna know how you get a get to go out! been trying years now, she just inst interested haha
Let it go outside. It's a cat, it's meant to explore the outside environment. Get it microchipped, fit an ID tag to its collar and let it do what it's meant to do.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 1st Aug
Our cats are absolutely useless outdoors. Thing is though, they know where the food is so they know where to come back to. We have a fairly high fence which they haven't yet worked out how to climb (I told you they were useless) so I just leave the door open and let them exp!ore the vast outdoors which is our suburban garxen. Our last cat was a hooligan and the idea of keeping him in was ridiculous. He roamed far and wide but he always came home eventually. Cats know which side their bread is buttered on so in all likelihood, they Will come back.
Haha I have the opposite problem, i have a cat that lives outside that I want to try and stop coming in
Haircut_10001/08/2020 09:24

Let it go outside. It's a cat, it's meant to explore the outside …Let it go outside. It's a cat, it's meant to explore the outside environment. Get it microchipped, fit an ID tag its collar and let it do what it's meant to do.

A moat
If you have the space, why not have a cat cave enclosure which allows the cat to be outside but in a safe environment and no chance of him or/her getting lost or injured etc. Even if the cat ventures outside they usually find the way back home.
Uridium01/08/2020 09:44

Haha I have the opposite problem, i have a cat that lives outside that I …Haha I have the opposite problem, i have a cat that lives outside that I want to try and stop coming in

If you're feeding it then stop, it'll soon find another home to visit for food.
Even better solution is to get a dog.
Edited by: "PaulandPam" 1st Aug
Cruel to keeps cats prisoner indoors 24/7. They are naturally outside animals and love to roam and explore. You would be better off getting a budgie or similar pet it you don't want it to go outside.

Cruel to keeps cats prisoner indoors 24/7. They are naturally outside …Cruel to keeps cats prisoner indoors 24/7. They are naturally outside animals and love to roam and explore. You would be better off getting a budgie or similar pet it you don't want it to go outside.

I know what you mean cos it’s not cruel to keep a bird in a cage, much better option.
pinkleponkle01/08/2020 11:33

I know what you mean cos it’s not cruel to keep a bird in a cage, much b …I know what you mean cos it’s not cruel to keep a bird in a cage, much better option.

Haha, brilliant.
PaulandPam01/08/2020 10:52

If you're feeding it then stop, it'll soon find another home to visit for …If you're feeding it then stop, it'll soon find another home to visit for food.Even better solution is to get a dog.

Its our cat, just lives outdoors, keeps the vermin away :-) We have a Springer spaniel that loves to chase the cat, the cat has grown clever now though and doesn't run, knows the dog is only interested in the chase

We do feed it daily and it likes to sneak in now and again.
Bungee cord bolted to the centre of the house?

But in seriousness, the netting and window locks that were posted above mainly.
Family in Cornwall have a rope system that can allow their cat can wander the garden but not reach the road and farmland and get hurt/lost
splatsplatsplat01/08/2020 09:45

And prevent your neighbourhood from being overrun with rats and mice.

My cat is deaf and totally useless. Would be dead in a day if let out as he has no fear of cars, trains, dogs etc... I assume because he can't hear them.
Satan_Claws01/08/2020 16:15

My cat is deaf and totally useless. Would be dead in a day if let out as …My cat is deaf and totally useless. Would be dead in a day if let out as he has no fear of cars, trains, dogs etc... I assume because he can't hear them.

my cat isn't deaf, just totally useless..she runs away from even spiders. Once she just watched a big mouse walk across the kitchen, and only killed the babies (they were coming in from next doors garden) as she was cuddling them too hard and crushing/smothering them to death by mistake...
Satan_Claws01/08/2020 16:15

My cat is deaf and totally useless. Would be dead in a day if let out as …My cat is deaf and totally useless. Would be dead in a day if let out as he has no fear of cars, trains, dogs etc... I assume because he can't hear them.

There are exceptions of course, but there's no excuse in keeping a fit healthy cat locked indoors 24/7. I know my cat would go mad !
Flat cats
Haven’t used them personally but have friends that have and are happy. Might be worth looking at
Satan_Claws01/08/2020 08:16

I built a wire mesh "door" to go outside the back door, means we can leave …I built a wire mesh "door" to go outside the back door, means we can leave the door open and let air in and the cats can sit and watch the world.Just a basic wood frame, some wire mesh and a couple of hinges.Also for windows, bought a bunch of these:[Image] Means you can open it but not far enough for a cat to get through and can easily be removed if you want to open window more.

Where are the window things from? Thanks
melanieking200002/08/2020 15:12

Where are the window things from? Thanks

I got mine from ebay, search for window security locks. They are around £5 each but cheaper if you buy more than 1.
read000102/08/2020 11:50

Flat catsHaven’t used them personally but have friends that have and are h …Flat catsHaven’t used them personally but have friends that have and are happy. Might be worth looking at

We have these on the bedroom windows so that they can be fully open at night and the cat stays in. She is out in our garden during the day. Only occasionally goes into one neighbouring garden as the 6' fence has the rails our side so easy to get over, but a big leap from their side!

You either need to cat proof the garden/part of it as you can't not have fresh air in the house when the temperatures have been mid 30's and fortunately with a breeze.
you can try and keep kitty in but it's a hard task esp if it's an inquisitive one. the thing is, by keeping it solely indoors it won't quite build awareness to cars or potential prey - May become too trusting? why not get a leash and take it out a few minutes at a time and when confident enough just embrace its natural instinct and allow him to go out. kitty will be so much happier and once you've gotten over the anxiety after the first week or so, you'll be too. Unless ofcourse its a very pricey breed or incredibly rare?

Just bear in mind there's thousands of felines out there and owners who love their cats very much - but - its the 'done' thing. just hope for the best (if you're comfortable with it) I've been in your position (cat was adopted, had been a flat cat, came here.. out it went after a few weeks indoors)- she was a spotted Bengal.. I had my work cut out
Edited by: "samwants2save" 3rd Aug
Post a comment
@
    Text