What do you do with your savings?

I just have mine in an ISA and feel it's not really doing much just sitting there. So, hoping to get a few ideas.

35 Comments

Currently mine are in my 123 current account, but Santander are just changing the % so can't recommend.

Really depends how much you have, club lloyds is okay for some.

Premium bonds are worth considering given the rubbish interest rates at the moment.

Depends how much you have really. Maybe pay off some of your mortgage?

Original Poster

t_kaay

Me and my partner haven't got to the point in our life where we're considering a mortgage yet.
deeky

Premium bonds are worth considering given the rubbish interest rates at … Premium bonds are worth considering given the rubbish interest rates at the moment.

Definitely sounds more exciting than just dealing with the 1% or so interest. I'll have to look in to these more.

Original Poster

Robj1

Currently mine are in my 123 current account, but Santander are just … Currently mine are in my 123 current account, but Santander are just changing the % so can't recommend. Really depends how much you have, club lloyds is okay for some.

Just checked this out. Very disappointing. Cutting from 3% to 1.5%

try moving your ISA from Cash ISA into pooled investment funds within the ISA package...Hargreaves Lansdowne are a low cost company to help you do this if interested.

t_kaay

deeky

Premium bonds are worth considering given the rubbish interest rates at … Premium bonds are worth considering given the rubbish interest rates at the moment.

That's my point. I had £5k to invest for 2 years. Would have earned about £100 interest in total. Not even worth bothering with. I put in in Premium Bonds instead. May as well have a chance of winning something, especially when it's risk free.

What savings?

deeky

But when the envelope drops through the door it's always only £25.

deeky

That's my point. I had £5k to invest for 2 years. Would have earned about … That's my point. I had £5k to invest for 2 years. Would have earned about £100 interest in total. Not even worth bothering with. I put in in Premium Bonds instead. May as well have a chance of winning something, especially when it's risk free.

​With club lloyds over that period for that amount you would have earned around £400

Banned

deeky

That's my point. I had £5k to invest for 2 years. Would have earned about … That's my point. I had £5k to invest for 2 years. Would have earned about £100 interest in total. Not even worth bothering with. I put in in Premium Bonds instead. May as well have a chance of winning something, especially when it's risk free.

​whos that with deeky

Original Poster

Robj1

​With club lloyds over that period for that amount you would have earned a … ​With club lloyds over that period for that amount you would have earned around £400

Doesn't that require a £1,500 pay-in per month and incurs a £5 charge every time you don't make it?

SeraphXii

Doesn't that require a £1,500 pay-in per month and incurs a £5 charge e … Doesn't that require a £1,500 pay-in per month and incurs a £5 charge every time you don't make it?

​I don't have the account, I am still with Santander, but I believe so.

They are however happy with you moving that between accounts, even lloyds accounts, and I am told you can have two club lloyds accounts in your name and move money between them via direct debit to meet the requirements of the interest.

Original Poster

Robj1

​I don't have the account, I am still with Santander, but I believe so. T … ​I don't have the account, I am still with Santander, but I believe so. They are however happy with you moving that between accounts, even lloyds accounts, and I am told you can have two club lloyds accounts in your name and move money between them via direct debit to meet the requirements of the interest.

That seems strange, and like something they should've gotten wise to a long time ago.

SeraphXii

That seems strange, and like something they should've gotten wise to a … That seems strange, and like something they should've gotten wise to a long time ago.

​To be honest, I doubt the interest rates will stay at 4% for long, especially as the market leader has reduced to 1.5% from 3%

deeky

Just out of interest you ever had big wins from them even though we had over 90k quite a few years ago the most we had between 3 of us was £100.Loads of £25 though.

archer1204

Just out of interest you ever had big wins from them even though we had … Just out of interest you ever had big wins from them even though we had over 90k quite a few years ago the most we had between 3 of us was £100.Loads of £25 though.

No. Don't think I've had anything yet X)

sofiasar

​whos that with deeky

None specifically. When I was looking 1% was pretty much the standard ISA rate.

Shares, gold, USD, and occasionally red on roulette

archer1204

Just out of interest you ever had big wins from them even though we had … Just out of interest you ever had big wins from them even though we had over 90k quite a few years ago the most we had between 3 of us was £100.Loads of £25 though.

I have never won anything big. Four lots of £25 is the best. It's got so bad I don't always open them on the day they come. I'll kick myself one day when I have gone to work and won big! X)

Gold or property or Lego

Don't expect any return from premium bonds, average is somewhere around the 1% mark, but the average includes those few that have big wins.

If you chuck your money in a reasonable interest account and gamble the interest, you would probably come off better.

deeky

No. Don't think I've had anything yet X)

Perhaps the missus has cashed them in.

[email protected]

Perhaps the missus has cashed them in.

You might have a point there

ashmac

Gold or property or Lego

​Seen this a fair bit on selling sites like eBay and sphock. So if you don't mind me asking what is the deal with lego?

I give it to the poor,

honest most of my left over money goes on good things that help ppl, I have most of what I need, for my life expectancy

but I admit I do need to pay for my funeral, always a good idea then u get the one u want

Banned

zainarafiq

​Seen this a fair bit on selling sites like eBay and sphock. So if you d … ​Seen this a fair bit on selling sites like eBay and sphock. So if you don't mind me asking what is the deal with lego?

Certain Lego products go OoP/OoS and their prices sky rocket. Much like Nintendo products.

E.g. NWC cartridge is worth thousands of dollars but the chances of finding it in a charity shop, carboot sale or such are as likely as winning the lottery. I gave up looking for games on charity shops as all they ever have are FIFA and more FIFA.

Banned

miles136

but I admit I do need to pay for my funeral, always a good idea then u … but I admit I do need to pay for my funeral, always a good idea then u get the one u want

That seems like such a waste of money. Once dead, that's it, no one's coming back to matter about paying for a funeral and burying. It's a shame that my grandparents didn't just bury their relatives at the back of their land (like a private cemetery for the family only). Then again, they're traditional and already knew which cemetery they wanted to be buried in.

Some families do this if they have space and this way, not only do they save money but they still have their relatives nearby if they want to "see" or just be near. Or just sit down and remember them old days.

Spasho

That seems like such a waste of money. Once dead, that's it, no one's … That seems like such a waste of money. Once dead, that's it, no one's coming back to matter about paying for a funeral and burying. It's a shame that my grandparents didn't just bury their relatives at the back of their land (like a private cemetery for the family only). Then again, they're traditional and already knew which cemetery they wanted to be buried in.Some families do this if they have space and this way, not only do they save money but they still have their relatives nearby if they want to "see" or just be near. Or just sit down and remember them old days.

I am getting cremated them my asses will put in a hole on my mothers grave, my sis will dig the hole the ground is quite soft

Santander 123 (even at 1.5pc is still ok these days) Club Lloyds, TSB 5% are all worth while options. I also strongly advise to educate yourself in stocks and shares. Index funds. £100 per month into your chosen position, or whatever you can afford. Buy and hold. I am not a financial advisor!

Banned

miles136

I am getting cremated them my asses will put in a hole on my mothers … I am getting cremated them my asses will put in a hole on my mothers grave, my sis will dig the hole the ground is quite soft

​your sister sounds very scary!
not being funny but what happens if she dies first? will you offer same?

HSBC FTSE 100 tracker through Hargreaves Lansdown. Low fees, but volatile so only really good for long term savings. Made about 15% since August 2015 though.

I have some savings, I just keep them in a separate account and add to it every month. Every now and then I have a blow out on something. Last thing was new windows for the house, next will be new kitchen. Then nowt till next year when the new Xbox is out

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds, & fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
~George Best

miles136

I am getting cremated them my asses will put in a hole on my mothers … I am getting cremated them my asses will put in a hole on my mothers grave, my sis will dig the hole the ground is quite soft

Four questions, Miles.

a) How many do you have?

b) Where did you get them?

c) What do you use them for?

d) What will your sister do with the rest of your body?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Any PS4 News Here29213592
    2. Any Xbox One news today?2356124
    3. GOT Leaks again416
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763949

See more discussions