What do you feed your cat/kitten, how often and from where?

Posted 29th Feb
What do you feed your cat/kitten, how often and from where and much how much is it?

We have a kitten around 6 months old.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

28 Comments
I have 2 kittens at 8 months and a cat at 9 years. I mainly do dry food and get random ones to try from zooplus and royal canin from pets at home (if im low and need to top up). I tend to buy food every 3 months and spend about £120 on the food. I do buy small tins of applaws (around £20) from pets at home and they get it every now and then but not that often. Maybe once a week as a treat. I tend to feed them twice a day, put out a little (dont really measure it, you get a feel for it). If I accidentally put out a lot then maybe once a day but they let me know when they want food normally.

They also get tit-bits here and there with cold meat in the morning etc.. they aint shy on telling you what they like and dont like. The 9 year old if I make hot chocolate loves cream so he gets a small amount in a plate but the 2 kittens dont like it.

Kittens you're meant to feed a little and alot but that doesnt work for me with a 9 year old cat.. Also I feed them cat food and not kitten food cause the kittens eat the cat food and the cat eats the kitten food. Cant really stop them so I do put out kitten food but the 9 year old mainly eats it. Asked the vet and doesnt do them any harm, ideally they are to eat the kitten food but meh.
If you buy the small bags you can test what they really like and dont like as much.
Edited by: "ambc_666" 29th Feb
ambc_66629/02/2020 09:25

I have 2 kittens at 8 months and a cat at 9 years. I mainly do dry food …I have 2 kittens at 8 months and a cat at 9 years. I mainly do dry food and get random ones to try from zooplus and royal canin from pets at home (if im low and need to top up). I tend to buy food every 3 months and spend about £120 on the food. I do buy small tins of applaws (around £20) from pets at home and they get it every now and then but not that often. Maybe once a week as a treat. I tend to feed them twice a day, put out a little (dont really measure it, you get a feel for it). If I accidentally put out a lot then maybe once a day but they let me know when they want food normally. They also get tit-bits here and there with cold meat in the morning etc.. they aint shy on telling you what they like and dont like. The 9 year old if I make hot chocolate loves cream so he gets a small amount in a plate but the 2 kittens dont like it.Kittens you're meant to feed a little and alot but that doesnt work for me with a 9 year old cat.. Also I feed them cat food and not kitten food cause the kittens eat the cat food and the cat eats the kitten food. Cant really stop them so I do put out kitten food but the 9 year old mainly eats it. Asked the vet and doesnt do them any harm, ideally they are to eat the kitten food but meh.If you buy the small bags you can test what they really like and dont like as much.

We tried a number of kitten and cat food but after eating the cat food, he vomitted. We were feeding him mince meat, cheese, milk and water. He slowly stopped the cheese and mince meat and started on tuna. Whenever we put out kitten specific food, he circles around it a couple of times and walks away. He is a fussy eater
My 9 year old is really fussy, which is why zooplus for food. He eats royal canin mainly or purizon. Cant get enough of the wild boar food purizon makes hence the zooplus for food. I started getting random small bags to test them on what they like which is how I found it. 1 of them eats anything and 2 dont touch fish dry food so Im kinda mainly on chicken or duck dry food so I tend to try new stuff and see if they like. Sometimes they cirlce the food I put out and scrape the floor as in to cover it kinda thing and walk away but if you leave it out they'll go back to it and eat.

Its a trial by error, they all love tins of tuna but its a treat now and then. I know its not healthy for them so I dont do that one daily. The applaws tins can be tuna and they love the prawn and ocean fish so I can do them daily but they are fine on dry food.

Normally they vomit if they eat too much of the dry food so maybe your cat gorged themselves with the food? I have one that can get excited and eat a little too much. I'd try to keep the human food to a minimum but a little doesnt hurt them. They do tend to be lactose so the cheese and milk can have some bad effects if you give them alot of it.

It sounds like they are taking the mick out of you. They do that to see what they can get away with. I'd put dry food out and leave it, they'll eat it before they'll starve. They'll likely cry in protest but they'll learn and will eat whats there 9 times out of 10. If they dont like it you'll know. I have a set of bowls 2 and 2 so I put out 4 choices normally or I'll double up if I know they really like something but least they have a choice of foods. It also helps me work out what to not buy again if Im testing the small packs of food.
ambc_66629/02/2020 09:42

My 9 year old is really fussy, which is why zooplus for food. He eats …My 9 year old is really fussy, which is why zooplus for food. He eats royal canin mainly or purizon. Cant get enough of the wild boar food purizon makes hence the zooplus for food. I started getting random small bags to test them on what they like which is how I found it. 1 of them eats anything and 2 dont touch fish dry food so Im kinda mainly on chicken or duck dry food so I tend to try new stuff and see if they like. Sometimes they cirlce the food I put out and scrape the floor as in to cover it kinda thing and walk away but if you leave it out they'll go back to it and eat.Its a trial by error, they all love tins of tuna but its a treat now and then. I know its not healthy for them so I dont do that one daily. The applaws tins can be tuna and they love the prawn and ocean fish so I can do them daily but they are fine on dry food. Normally they vomit if they eat too much of the dry food so maybe your cat gorged themselves with the food? I have one that can get excited and eat a little too much. I'd try to keep the human food to a minimum but a little doesnt hurt them. They do tend to be lactose so the cheese and milk can have some bad effects if you give them alot of it. It sounds like they are taking the mick out of you. They do that to see what they can get away with. I'd put dry food out and leave it, they'll eat it before they'll starve. They'll likely cry in protest but they'll learn and will eat whats there 9 times out of 10. If they dont like it you'll know. I have a set of bowls 2 and 2 so I put out 4 choices normally or I'll double up if I know they really like something but least they have a choice of foods. It also helps me work out what to not buy again if Im testing the small packs of food.

Thanks, I'll give zooplus a try and expirement with different stuff.

On a different note, mind me asking, what do you do for cat litter, in terms of litter tray, type of litter, how often you change and stuff. We are having a hard time with this and room stinks like hell.
I use Tigerino Crystals - The lemongrass one but you could try either, they do lots of different types lavender, fresh cotton (just depends the cat, they might not like it so might need to switch). I get them from Zooplus as well. I used to use a tub of litter from Costco which was lemongrass and its pretty similar so they have not noticed the difference. Its clumping stuff, I like it as its easy to scoop and its very easy to clean.

I have 3 trays (not that they use 1 each, they kinda have a 1 for pee and 1 for poop and one is a free for all) and I tend to clean them once every 2nd day but sometimes Im busy and it can be 3rd or 4th day (not ideal but can happen). I tend to do a bleach and full empty of the tray at least once per month sometimes twice if there is a smell. Dump the litter to the bin bag and bleach the trays clean then dry and put new litter in.

I have 2 smaller trays which are quite big for kittens and the cat likes it, they are open (I got from costco so not branded). I bought a 3rd tray when we got the kittens 6 months ago from zooplus which is the " Catit Jumbo Litter Box" and it is massive. It is a closed one and it has a filter on the top of it. My 9 year old hates the lid down so I leave the lid open on top and they use it. Generally if their is a smell just clean the trays. Sometimes if they poop its smelly but does disappear - open a window or spray fabreeze or both (not much different to a human going to toilet). You can get food that helps with that which is why they normally get royal canin food.

Edit:. The 2 kittens like to play with the litter which is a total pain in the neck (1 loves to roll in it when its clean) and scatter it everywhere so I tend to have to sweep up/hoover a few times per day but I dont really mind it too much. I bought a big mat out of Dunelm Mill which I put down at the litter trays (half on and half off) so that it takes most of the litter off their paws on the way out. It works especially when they scatter it but I still get a clean up. Even bought a dyson cordless cause I got annoyed with sweeping all the time lol. It just means they really like the litter.

I tried the catsan's stuff, hated it for cleaning and cat was too keen on it at the time. I have friends that use it and swear by it so just depends on the kitty I think.
Edited by: "ambc_666" 29th Feb
I have a cat about 6 years old and she loves Go-Cat Crunchy which I put half a pouch of wet food with in the morning and evening.
I feed my 6ish year old cat Whiskas pouches jelly (from Asda)1 in morning and 1 in evening, I leave Harrington's dry food in a bowl so that he can graze during the day if he fancies (recommend a water fountain though)
We have two cats and we buy the Costco maintenance premium cat biscuits. About £20 for approx 12 kg bag. And they get a couple of pouches. They usually turn their noses up at chicken unless they trying to dig carcuss out of the bin.
Adam_Khan1Tc29/02/2020 09:34

We tried a number of kitten and cat food but after eating the cat food, he …We tried a number of kitten and cat food but after eating the cat food, he vomitted. We were feeding him mince meat, cheese, milk and water. He slowly stopped the cheese and mince meat and started on tuna. Whenever we put out kitten specific food, he circles around it a couple of times and walks away. He is a fussy eater

cheese and milk?
I have a 4 yr old girl who is totally spoilt 😹 i feed her wet and dry food 2-3 times a day, i use one of those 2 sided bowls fill them both up i’ve found this has worked with all my past cats. U may have to try a few brands to find the one ur cat likes, I also feed her cooked chicken and chicken cat treats also cat tuna loins and treat sticks(like i said spoilt 😁 the best litter for no odour is the crystals u can buy them in b&m for £2, i use the wood pellets atm which require more scooping but my cat prefers those. Cats can have a lil bit of cream and cheese but there tummy doesn’t handle lactose well so be mindful or u’ll be cleaning up cat diarrhoea 😬🥴
kerrrachel5029/02/2020 11:25

I have a 4 yr old girl who is totally spoilt 😹 i feed her wet and dry …I have a 4 yr old girl who is totally spoilt 😹 i feed her wet and dry food 2-3 times a day, i use one of those 2 sided bowls fill them both up i’ve found this has worked with all my past cats. U may have to try a few brands to find the one ur cat likes, I also feed her cooked chicken and chicken cat treats also cat tuna loins and treat sticks(like i said spoilt 😁 the best litter for no odour is the crystals u can buy them in b&m for £2, i use the wood pellets atm which require more scooping but my cat prefers those. Cats can have a lil bit of cream and cheese but there tummy doesn’t handle lactose well so be mindful or u’ll be cleaning up cat diarrhoea 😬🥴

We are using pellets as well atm and followed a guide from YouTube to make a good system but thE doesn't seem to work too well. The kittens been having cheese and milk for quite a while (not so regular now) and tbh not had any issues with diarrhoea luckily but mind you he has started having it less often now so maybe it's a sign to stop gradually .

Where do you buy your food from we are looking for something that doesn't leave a too much of a dent in the bank .
ambc_66629/02/2020 10:00

I use Tigerino Crystals - The lemongrass one but you could try either, …I use Tigerino Crystals - The lemongrass one but you could try either, they do lots of different types lavender, fresh cotton (just depends the cat, they might not like it so might need to switch). I get them from Zooplus as well. I used to use a tub of litter from Costco which was lemongrass and its pretty similar so they have not noticed the difference. Its clumping stuff, I like it as its easy to scoop and its very easy to clean.I have 3 trays (not that they use 1 each, they kinda have a 1 for pee and 1 for poop and one is a free for all) and I tend to clean them once every 2nd day but sometimes Im busy and it can be 3rd or 4th day (not ideal but can happen). I tend to do a bleach and full empty of the tray at least once per month sometimes twice if there is a smell. Dump the litter to the bin bag and bleach the trays clean then dry and put new litter in.I have 2 smaller trays which are quite big for kittens and the cat likes it, they are open (I got from costco so not branded). I bought a 3rd tray when we got the kittens 6 months ago from zooplus which is the " Catit Jumbo Litter Box" and it is massive. It is a closed one and it has a filter on the top of it. My 9 year old hates the lid down so I leave the lid open on top and they use it. Generally if their is a smell just clean the trays. Sometimes if they poop its smelly but does disappear - open a window or spray fabreeze or both (not much different to a human going to toilet). You can get food that helps with that which is why they normally get royal canin food.Edit:. The 2 kittens like to play with the litter which is a total pain in the neck (1 loves to roll in it when its clean) and scatter it everywhere so I tend to have to sweep up/hoover a few times per day but I dont really mind it too much. I bought a big mat out of Dunelm Mill which I put down at the litter trays (half on and half off) so that it takes most of the litter off their paws on the way out. It works especially when they scatter it but I still get a clean up. Even bought a dyson cordless cause I got annoyed with sweeping all the time lol. It just means they really like the litter.I tried the catsan's stuff, hated it for cleaning and cat was too keen on it at the time. I have friends that use it and swear by it so just depends on the kitty I think.

We are currently using wooden pellets, will give crystals a go. We tried catsan litter before and oh boy the kitten makes the place look like its white Christmas again
trivium29/02/2020 11:17

cheese and milk?

Yep, he's been holding up fine with it so far tbh. Though he has started having it less now.
ndksamb29/02/2020 11:17

We have two cats and we buy the Costco maintenance premium cat biscuits. …We have two cats and we buy the Costco maintenance premium cat biscuits. About £20 for approx 12 kg bag. And they get a couple of pouches. They usually turn their noses up at chicken unless they trying to dig carcuss out of the bin.

How long does it last you between the 2 cats?
Honestly my cat loves felix as good as it looks pouches she wont eat the regular felix or any others and her dry food is whiska’s or iams
You don’t need to spend a lot some of these organic grain free this free blah blah can be very expensive, I use 2 pouches of wet food and 2 bowls of dry a day and i pick her food up in asda as they have a great selection of cat treats too. Just try ur kitten with a few wet foods get an idea what she likes u can also add some cat milk to dry food i used to do that for a kitten i found abandoned he loved it. In regards to the pellets i scoop a poo as soon as its done and i also sift her litter daily otherwise it will stink if u want no odour at all try the crystals there amazing but still scoop the poop everyday
kerrrachel5029/02/2020 12:23

Honestly my cat loves felix as good as it looks pouches she wont eat the …Honestly my cat loves felix as good as it looks pouches she wont eat the regular felix or any others and her dry food is whiska’s or iams You don’t need to spend a lot some of these organic grain free this free blah blah can be very expensive, I use 2 pouches of wet food and 2 bowls of dry a day and i pick her food up in asda as they have a great selection of cat treats too. Just try ur kitten with a few wet foods get an idea what she likes u can also add some cat milk to dry food i used to do that for a kitten i found abandoned he loved it. In regards to the pellets i scoop a poo as soon as its done and i also sift her litter daily otherwise it will stink if u want no odour at all try the crystals there amazing but still scoop the poop everyday

maybe people spend more because the supermarket food like felix and whiskas is like giving your cat mcdonalds. Very little nutrition with only about 5% meat content. The rest is maize and ash and water which is just a filler. Cats being obligate carnivores only derive nutrition from meat and you need to aim for 40% meat content minimum. To say there is no need to spend more is wrong but each to their own.

dry food is even worse although some cats just wont eat wet food so owners have little choice
Adam_Khan1Tc29/02/2020 12:14

Yep, he's been holding up fine with it so far tbh. Though he has started …Yep, he's been holding up fine with it so far tbh. Though he has started having it less now.

Cats are lactose intolerant. You ought not be giving them milk or cheese. It's like giving a child sweets but worse. They like the taste but it's not good for them even in moderation. It is also not recommended to feed a cat just on raw meat as it still requires a proper balance of foods. Here is typical info on this matter
Edited by: "OllieSt" 29th Feb
Our kittens get access to food whenever they want it. After that they get wet food morning and evening, and have access to biscuits to snack on if needed. Water 24/7 no matter the age.
Cat milk is available from Tesco’s Etc.
Edited by: "choccie32" 29th Feb
chocci29/02/2020 13:19

maybe people spend more because the supermarket food like felix and …maybe people spend more because the supermarket food like felix and whiskas is like giving your cat mcdonalds. Very little nutrition with only about 5% meat content. The rest is maize and ash and water which is just a filler. Cats being obligate carnivores only derive nutrition from meat and you need to aim for 40% meat content minimum. To say there is no need to spend more is wrong but each to their own.dry food is even worse although some cats just wont eat wet food so owners have little choice

Yes I totally agree which is why i give my cat fresh cooked chicken or turkey and also she has whole tuna loins and mackerel which are 100% nothing added. I think if ur substituting ur cats diet then those are fine just my two cents. I also have never had any health issues with any of my cats and i’ve had 6 over the decades
Adam_Khan1Tc29/02/2020 12:15

How long does it last you between the 2 cats?

Usually about two months, normally put a bowl down each day with pouches in the evening.
I have 3 cats & am awaiting 2 kittens in about 4 weeks time. Each of the cats has now has 1/2 a pouch of as good as it looks or doubly delicious twice a day & an infinite supply of Purina biscuits laid out. The older cat is nearly 16 years old & the other 2 are 11.
We have 2 cats, both from a rescue shelter as kittens. They were fed on Hills Science diet so we have continued to do the same. We buy 10kg bags for around £45 and they tend to last approx 5 months whic I think is a Bargain for all the good nutritients that they get. We get it from zooplus. One of the cats likes felix as good as it gets so we give her two ⅓rds of a pack a day. We dont have set meal times. I leave the biscuits out constantly and they graze whenever they're hungry. Thankfully they are not greedy and are both healthy weights according to their vet. Neither one likes Any kind of human food which is also a plus as they Never climb up onto my work tops...unless it's to get to the sink for a drink from the tap!!! They just ignore their bowl of water.
Remember to place your cats water well away from its food. Lots of advice on the internet that cats dislike the scent of food when drinking.
Edited by: "RichinParadise" 2nd Mar
RichinParadise02/03/2020 22:21

Remember to place your cats water well away from its food. Lots of advice …Remember to place your cats water well away from its food. Lots of advice on the internet that cats are dislike the scent of food when drinking.

Its because they associate drinking water with dead animals in it.
Willy_Wonka02/03/2020 22:22

Its because they associate drinking water with dead animals in it.

I see. That's made my guilt worse. I had cats for 18 years and always had water next to the food. I wondered why my last cat liked to drink from the toilet bowl and he loved drinking from a tap. Damn stupid me. Shouldve read a cat care book.
RichinParadise02/03/2020 22:21

Remember to place your cats water well away from its food. Lots of advice …Remember to place your cats water well away from its food. Lots of advice on the internet that cats are dislike the scent of food when drinking.

WOW I Never knew this! Makes sense now though with mine, they're happy to drink from the tap or from a puddle outside but I Rarely see them touching the water bowl
nightshadeUK02/03/2020 22:34

WOW I Never knew this! Makes sense now though with mine, they're happy to …WOW I Never knew this! Makes sense now though with mine, they're happy to drink from the tap or from a puddle outside but I Rarely see them touching the water bowl

Yeah. It's really something all cat owners should share first time they hear of another cat family.
RichinParadise02/03/2020 22:43

Yeah. It's really something all cat owners should share first time they …Yeah. It's really something all cat owners should share first time they hear of another cat family.

Will Do
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants