What do you make of this?

Found 7th Jan 2010
Dear deek72uk (de*********@ntlworld.com),

We've detected some unusual activity on your eBay account, and it looks like your password may have become known to a third party. In order to protect you and your eBay account we've reset your password and Secret Question (password hint).

The unusual activity may be a result of using a sniping site to bid on your behalf at the last minute, using a public-use computer or could be a result of you answering a spoof mail. You'll find more information on spoof below.

Here's what you should do now:

1) Choose a new eBay password
2) Change your Secret Question
3) Update your information in Turbo Lister
4) Protect against spoof emails

1) Choose a new eBay password

1. Go to the eBay homepage and click on "My eBay".
2. Click on "I've forgotten my password" on the sign-in page.
3. Answer two of the questions from your contact information (such as your postcode and Date of Birth) as we have changed your Secret Question.
4. Check your email for the "Forgotten Password" email.
5. Copy the link in this email into the address bar of a new browser window. Do not click on the link.
6. Enter and confirm your new password.

Tips for secure passwords:
- Choose a completely new password, preferably a random combination of letters and numbers. This password should be different to all of your other online passwords.
- Never give your password to anyone else. eBay will not ask you for your password or credit card details in any communication.
- If you used your old eBay password for other services such as PayPal or online banking, you should choose a new password for those accounts as well.

2) Change your Secret Question

Please change your Secret Question and check that your eBay registration information is correct. Once you have created a new eBay password, you can update both your Secret Question and your registration information in My eBay, under "Personal Information".

3) Update your information in Turbo Lister

If you use Turbo Lister for selling on eBay, it is important that the information in Turbo Lister - including your eBay password - is the same as in My eBay.

Here's how to update your details in Turbo Lister:

1. Click on "Tools" in the Turbo Lister menu bar, then on "Options".
2. Make the necessary changes in "My Data".

4) Protect against spoof

The safest way to access your eBay account is to type "www.ebay.co.uk" into the address bar of your internet browser and then click "Sign in" or "My eBay".

Always check My eBay. Most emails from eBay or sent via the eBay system will be available in My Messages. If you are in doubt about an email you receive, forward it to us at:

spoof@ebay.co.uk

We encourage you to visit our Safety Centre for more tips on protecting against spoof and buying and selling safely on eBay. To get there, click on the "Safety Centre" link at the bottom of the eBay homepage.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation in this important matter. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have further queries or require assistance.

Regards,

eBay Trust & Safety

H51409

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
33 Comments

What email address is it from?

Have you tried going to ebay.co.uk and trying your usual user/pass?

I agree, any email from ebay is always on your ebay log in. This is probably spam so I would suggest that you DON'T click on any links from the email and forward the whole email to spoof@ebay.co.uk. They will then investigate it for you,

S

maybe a scam email ebay from their site not reply to the email!

Original Poster

matt3454;7466277

What email address is it from?Have you tried going to http://ebay.co.uk … What email address is it from?Have you tried going to http://ebay.co.uk and trying your usual user/pass?

Its from ukrswebhelp@ebay.com

I haven't looked yet I wondered if anyone else had had one. I don't wanna change anything yet in case it's a trap.

Ill see if I can log in now.

its ******** mate,scammers aagain

deek72;7466298

Its from ukrswebhelp@ebay.comI haven't looked yet I wondered if anyone … Its from ukrswebhelp@ebay.comI haven't looked yet I wondered if anyone else had had one. I don't wanna change anything yet in case it's a trap.Ill see if I can log in now.

scam m8, if you do anything dont click any links from the email,

ukrswebhelp@ebay.com, u a member of ebay.com or ebay.co.uk? all my ebay emails are from ebay.co.uk, not .com

Banned

scam, they hope most will click on links within email

Original Poster

micoo;7466331

scam m8, if you do anything dont click any links from the email, … scam m8, if you do anything dont click any links from the email, ukrswebhelp@ebay.com, u a member of ebay.com or ebay.co.uk? all my ebay emails are from ebay.co.uk, not .com

Its.com. im .co.uk but I cant log into my account. I went to ebay from the link in my favs, haven't touched any links in email.

Original Poster

geordiepete;7466313

its ******** mate,scammers aagain

boss stay on i got summit for ya

Original Poster

the porter;7466365

scam 100%

So why won't ebay accept my password?

Could someone pm me the select members phone number? I cant log in to get it.

Thx

Banned

as long as you have not clicked on any links from the email, then click on forgotten password and what does it ask you for? do not answer anything, just what does it ask you for?

Original Poster

sueseee;7466295

I agree, any email from ebay is always on your ebay log in. This is … I agree, any email from ebay is always on your ebay log in. This is probably spam so I would suggest that you DON'T click on any links from the email and forward the whole email to spoof@ebay.co.uk. They will then investigate it for you,S

but the email itself tells me to do that

'Always check My eBay. Most emails from eBay or sent via the eBay system will be available in My Messages. If you are in doubt about an email you receive, forward it to us at:

spoof@ebay.co.uk'

??

They are trying to make you think (by this email) that they are genuine, trust me, it's spoof.

I'd just log in through [url]www.ebay.co.uk[/url] and also forward the phoney email to spoof@ebay.co.uk

S

Banned

deek72;7466393

but the email itself tells me to do that 'Always check My eBay. Most … but the email itself tells me to do that 'Always check My eBay. Most emails from eBay or sent via the eBay system will be available in My Messages. If you are in doubt about an email you receive, forward it to us at: spoof@ebay.co.uk'??

makes it look more official

Original Poster

sueseee;7466415

They are trying to make you think (by this email) that they are genuine, … They are trying to make you think (by this email) that they are genuine, trust me, it's spoof.I'd just log in through [url]www.ebay.co.uk[/url] and also forward the phoney email to spoof@ebay.co.ukS

Iv just google ebay, gone to ebay.co.uk, tried to log in. not accepted password. selected 'forgotton password' recieved email on how to reset, but it's from .com
again!!

just check all my emails from ebay and they are all .co.uk

so it looks dodgy but I cant log in with my existing password so what do I do now?

I'd suggest if you have initiated an email from ebay by saying you had forgotten your password, that email will be ok.

S

Banned

Obviously don't click any of the links in the email but I believe the email is genuine - Ebay DO SeNd emails like that when accounts appear to have been comprimised.

As stated do not under any circumstances click links in the email but don't listen to the ... people who are saying 100% scam etc

Banned

deek72;7466438

Iv just google ebay, gone to ebay.co.uk, tried to log in. not accepted … Iv just google ebay, gone to ebay.co.uk, tried to log in. not accepted password. selected 'forgotton password' recieved email on how to reset, but it's from .com again!!just check all my emails from ebay and they are all .co.ukso it looks dodgy but I cant log in with my existing password so what do I do now?

Can u use a different machine? Again the .com is not necessarily an issue as your eBay account is valid on all eBay sites, so not surprising email come from .com

however would check on another pc if poss in case your hosts file has been changed etc

God how most of you are annoying.

The email said GO to ebay and click on the tab to reset/recover the password as ebay have reset your password

I didn't see anywhere they said there was a link in the email to click, the email said GO to ebay.

Now they can't log into their ebay account - this tellls any sane person the email was genuine and they have changed the password

Simple go to ebay by typing the address in your web browser then log in and if you can't (which you cant) follow the instructions by clicking the link that says confirm your identity.

Your not clicking anything in any emails, you typed the address yourself its genuine.
Trust your senses not info from badly informed suspicious people that don't read what's written and who always assume the worse.
Long as you dont click links in emails you'll be fine.

Banned

karenhornby;7466511

God how most of you are annoying.The email said GO to ebay and click on … God how most of you are annoying.The email said GO to ebay and click on the tab to reset/recover the password as ebay have reset your passwordI didn't see anywhere they said there was a link in the email to click, the email said GO to ebay.Now they can't log into their ebay account - this tellls any sane person the email was genuine and they have changed the passwordSimple go to ebay by typing the address in your web browser then log in and if you can't (which you cant) follow the instructions by clicking the link that says confirm your identity.Your not clicking anything in any emails, you typed the address yourself its genuine.Trust your senses not info from badly informed suspicious people that don't read what's written and who always assume the worse.Long as you dont click links in emails you'll be fine.

you are not 100% correct because various badware will change the hosts file and point domains elsewhere. However, I'm with u fully about slagging off some of the utter utter idiots in this thread

comments such as "100% spam" are just stupid and wrong

Original Poster

vibeone;7466492

Obviously don't click any of the links in the email but I believe the … Obviously don't click any of the links in the email but I believe the email is genuine - Ebay DO SeNd emails like that when accounts appear to have been comprimised. As stated do not under any circumstances click links in the email but don't listen to the ... people who are saying 100% scam etc

Thanks vibey,

This is the mail I received in response to my 'reset passwrd' request:

Dear deek72uk,

This email was sent automatically by eBay in response to your request to recover your password. This is done for your protection; only you, the recipient of this email can take the next step in the password recover process.

To reset your password and access your account, follow these steps:

1.Click on the link below. If nothing happens when you click on the link (or if you use AOL), copy and paste the link into the address bar of your web browser.
cgi1.ebay.co.uk/aw-*************************************
The link will take you to our Change Password page.

2. Fill in the appropriate fields to reset your password and click Submit. You will then be able to access your account.

If you did not forget your password, please ignore this email.

This request was made from:
IP address: 86.28.*** ***
ISP host: 86.28.*****

Thank you,
eBay

i followed the instruction in the email. I went to ebay via google. I selected
forgotten passwrd' copied and pasted the link in the email, reset password and logged in. all seems fine now, no unknown transactions.

Also, both emails are present in 'my messages' so I presume that suggests all is well?

Banned

deek72;7466545

Thanks vibey,This is the mail I received in response to my 'reset … Thanks vibey,This is the mail I received in response to my 'reset passwrd' request:Dear deek72uk, This email was sent automatically by eBay in response to your request to recover your password. This is done for your protection; only you, the recipient of this email can take the next step in the password recover process. To reset your password and access your account, follow these steps: 1.Click on the link below. If nothing happens when you click on the link (or if you use AOL), copy and paste the link into the address bar of your web browser.http://cgi1.ebay.co.uk/aw-*************************************The link will take you to our Change Password page. 2. Fill in the appropriate fields to reset your password and click Submit. You will then be able to access your account. If you did not forget your password, please ignore this email. This request was made from:IP address: 86.28.*** ***ISP host: 86.28.*****Thank you,eBay i followed the instruction in the email. I went to ebay via google. I selected forgotten passwrd' copied and pasted the link in the email, reset password and logged in. all seems fine now, no unknown transactions.Also, both emails are present in 'my messages' so I presume that suggests all is well?

Yea it does. It also makes it clear that hukd users are overly confident in their abilities but actually utterly useless

the porter specifically should be banned for such a silly comment

glad it's sorted though

the porter;7466365

scam 100%

I disagree.

I had one today from these.... ukrswebhelp@ebay.com warning me of a recent seller i had dealt with. :)....Deek72 :?

Banned

have to say only skimmed through post, and it did appear iffy, i never realised ebay would ask for information like this, although i did wrongly assume their was links in the email, you learn something new everyday though

Original Poster

vibeone;7466577

Yea it does. It also makes it clear that hukd users are overly confident … Yea it does. It also makes it clear that hukd users are overly confident in their abilities but actually utterly uselessthe porter specifically should be banned for such a silly commentglad it's sorted though

Cheers vibey. :friends:

Original Poster

But thanks to everyone for at least taking time out to try to help.

Appreciated. :thumbsup:

deek72;7466628

Wow thanks LLM. My mind is completely at ease now. … Wow thanks LLM. My mind is completely at ease now. :-Dxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Your too much of a stress head, get taken them chill pills i got ya!

Banned

sassie;7466639

have to say only skimmed through post, and it did appear iffy, i never … have to say only skimmed through post, and it did appear iffy, i never realised ebay would ask for information like this, although i did wrongly assume their was links in the email, you learn something new everyday though

Can you hear that? That's the sound of reverse gear clunking into
place as various posters flee the scene

although your excuse is pitiful, you win points for replying rather than ducking and running like the rest of the people shouting scam!

Banned

Go on eBay live help and talk to a rep

deek72;7466692

I.....love .....you...all......sniff

feeling aint mutual.

deek72;7466692

I.....love .....you...all......sniff

and we all love u too sniff:x

deek72;7466831

Don't lie Mofo. And does your mother know you're up on the computer at … Don't lie Mofo. And does your mother know you're up on the computer at this time of the night?

haha! no, i didnt think to ring her and tell her!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Trouble submitting deals on Safari (Mac)55
    2. Anyone else disappointed by Amazon's Black Friday Deals?11
    3. What is cash back?813
    4. Can I remove icloud off my phone and is it really needed if i use my comput…11

See more discussions