Groups

What do you put in your little'ns lunch box??

Just curious as someone mentioned to me that I might be putting too much in my kid's lunch box. He's 6 and usually has a ham salad sandwich (1 slice of bread), a mini scotch egg, a cheese stick, a pot of grapes and strawberries cut up, a frube yoghurt thingy, a bag of crisps (although just cut those out since worrying) and a treat something (either a chewy bar or a mince pie, or a flapjack etc..)

He does it it all usually and he is defo not overweight but I'm worried he might become overweight.
    What do you give them??

Oh, and my 3 year old has pretty much the same....just not the crisps

28 Comments

Hi Hannah, that does seem a lot. I give my daughter (aged a sandwich, a packet of crisps, raisins and a yogurt. Sometimes I change the raisins for carrots or a cheese string. However I have just started giving her raisins. I was giving her a sandwich, crisps and yogurt before

Original Poster

Ah so I need to leave something else out then really.....perhaps stop doing the cheese too then?

I give my daughter sandwich,1 piece of fruit, cheese string & yoghurt tube (shes4). They cant have any crisps or biscuits,choc and I sometimes find it hard to give her a variety as she is very fussy

hannah19790;7021208

Ah so I need to leave something else out then really.....perhaps stop … Ah so I need to leave something else out then really.....perhaps stop doing the cheese too then?

Its up to you hun, but the cheese good for calcium - how about not putting in the treat? The yogurt is my daughters sweet element of her lunch

4lyons09;7021227

I give my daughter sandwich,1 piece of fruit, cheese string & yoghurt … I give my daughter sandwich,1 piece of fruit, cheese string & yoghurt tube (shes4). They cant have any crisps or biscuits,choc and I sometimes find it hard to give her a variety as she is very fussy

Same at my daughters school - they are now allowed choc or cakes

Original Poster

bargainhunter2009;7021228

Its up to you hun, but the cheese good for calcium - how about not … Its up to you hun, but the cheese good for calcium - how about not putting in the treat? The yogurt is my daughters sweet element of her lunch

Yh, I did think about taking that out but I sometimes feel like everything he eats is healthy and he deserves a treat.......but I think ur right, I'll stop giving him a treat from now on..................and I tell him u told me to:lol:

I would be happy that my child eats ! as long as he is running around and burning it off i don't see a problem. I would cut out the treat though, especially as he is having fruit and a yogurty thing! a lot of sugars going on there.

Original Poster

4lyons09;7021227

I give my daughter sandwich,1 piece of fruit, cheese string & yoghurt … I give my daughter sandwich,1 piece of fruit, cheese string & yoghurt tube (shes4). They cant have any crisps or biscuits,choc and I sometimes find it hard to give her a variety as she is very fussy

At our school they're not allowed sweets or choc although I think they can have things like penguins.....my son usally choices a flapjack or something tho so don't have to worry too much....think I'll cut that ou nowt tho:thumbsup:

hannah19790;7021266

At our school they're not allowed sweets or choc although I think they … At our school they're not allowed sweets or choc although I think they can have things like penguins.....my son usally choices a flapjack or something tho so don't have to worry too much....think I'll cut that ou nowt tho:thumbsup:

How about flapjack or yogurt? He prob doesnt need both :thumbsup: You could change it around

Original Poster

queenlush;7021265

I would be happy that my child eats ! as long as he is running around and … I would be happy that my child eats ! as long as he is running around and burning it off i don't see a problem. I would cut out the treat though, especially as he is having fruit and a yogurty thing! a lot of sugars going on there.

Oh I thought the fruit and yogurt were good:? Too sugary?? What u reckon I should put in? Obviously a sarny.....what else u think?

Original Poster

bargainhunter2009;7021281

How about flapjack or yogurt? He prob doesnt need both :thumbsup: You … How about flapjack or yogurt? He prob doesnt need both :thumbsup: You could change it around

Yh good idea:thumbsup:

I am always being told I send my kids with too much as well Hannah but so long as they come back with an empty lunch box its probably ok

hannah19790;7021285

Oh I thought the fruit and yogurt were good:? Too sugary?? What u reckon … Oh I thought the fruit and yogurt were good:? Too sugary?? What u reckon I should put in? Obviously a sarny.....what else u think?

Fruit and yogurt are good!

I wish you made my lunch, sounds great! But maybe a bit too much for a young'un.

hannah19790;7021285

Oh I thought the fruit and yogurt were good:? Too sugary?? What u reckon … Oh I thought the fruit and yogurt were good:? Too sugary?? What u reckon I should put in? Obviously a sarny.....what else u think?

They aren't bad sugars really, but if he will eat fruit then i would use that as his sweet treat. Not much you can give a six year old really is there? Will he eat wraps? They are slightly healthier than bread. Mini pitta pockets maybe?

Original Poster

fireheaven;7021300

I am always being told I send my kids with too much as well Hannah but so … I am always being told I send my kids with too much as well Hannah but so long as they come back with an empty lunch box its probably ok

lol see that's what I thought, and he is ery active but a dinnerlady (friend too) told me that they have to eat all their lunch b4 they're allowed to get down:lol:

bargainhunter2009;7021302

Fruit and yogurt are good!

Good, but a bit sugary? Not too much of them ?

Trickyjabs;7021311

I wish you made my lunch, sounds great! But maybe a bit too much for a … I wish you made my lunch, sounds great! But maybe a bit too much for a young'un.

lol thank u, it's funny coz I never thought about it b4, yep, decided, defo cutting down:thumbsup:

Original Poster

queenlush;7021340

They aren't bad sugars really, but if he will eat fruit then i would use … They aren't bad sugars really, but if he will eat fruit then i would use that as his sweet treat. Not much you can give a six year old really is there? Will he eat wraps? They are slightly healthier than bread. Mini pitta pockets maybe?

Yh now there's an option:thumbsup: Something just for a change I spose. He eats fruit because he has to tho, not coz he really wants to...don't think he sees it as a treat:lol:

Hannah, that's a similar amount to what I pack for my daughter (also six and is quite slender) and son (three). She does bring back left overs but then scoffs it at home after school. In the mornings, I cook fresh noodles with peas, ham and a little soy sauce/salt or pasta with a veg. Current daily favs are tuna sandwishes, celery/carrot and cream cheese and ham pasta.

I think the main concern regarding food for children is if they eat a lot of sugary snacks (sweets, cakes, etc.) and fats (eg crisps, processed cheese, etc.).

I don't allow my young ones fizzy drinks or lollipops.

Admin

Depends how much your little one can eat! All kids are different. My five yr old has a sandwich (2 slices of bread) breadsticks/celery & a dip, an orange, an apple or banana, a cereal bar or crackers and some raisins. He always eats the lot and spends until dinnertime burning it off

Original Poster

Bishbash;7021370

Hannah, that's a similar amount to what I pack for my daughter (also six … Hannah, that's a similar amount to what I pack for my daughter (also six and is quite slender) and son (three). She does bring back left overs but then scoffs it at home after school. In the mornings, I cook fresh noodles with peas, ham and a little soy sauce/salt or pasta with a veg. Current daily favs are tuna sandwishes, celery/carrot and cream cheese and ham pasta. I think the main concern regarding food for children is if they eat a lot of sugary snacks (sweets, cakes, etc.) and fats (eg crisps, processed cheese, etc.). I don't allow my young ones fizzy drinks or lollipops.

lol, I even have to make the sarnies the evening b4 ...... would never get a chance to do them in the morning :lol: How good are u?? :thumbsup:
    No mine don't either......maybe on his birthday lol....actually that's another thing...both mine choose water over juice half the time so I know that's good for them.

juliet_bravo;7021372

Depends how much your little one can eat! All kids are different. My five … Depends how much your little one can eat! All kids are different. My five yr old has a sandwich (2 slices of bread) breadsticks/celery & a dip, an orange, an apple or banana, a cereal bar or crackers and some raisins. He always eats the lot and spends until dinnertime burning it off

Yh well that is what I thought at 1st but now am worried they'll get fat lol....but same as u, mine do burn it off so perhaps they need all that energy:?

juliet_bravo;7021372

Depends how much your little one can eat! All kids are different. My five … Depends how much your little one can eat! All kids are different. My five yr old has a sandwich (2 slices of bread) breadsticks/celery & a dip, an orange, an apple or banana, a cereal bar or crackers and some raisins. He always eats the lot and spends until dinnertime burning it off

http://bluebob.com/images/uploads/fatboy390.gif

I use to get 2 sandwich, a drink and an apple.

I've seen a huuuuuuuuuge thread about this in mse, you may be able to search it

Original Poster

queenlush;7021440

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mostof_childrenlunchbox.shtml

That was really interesting reading....might try a few ideas, thanks hun:thumbsup:

Marina;7021479

I've seen a huuuuuuuuuge thread about this in mse, you may be able to … I've seen a huuuuuuuuuge thread about this in mse, you may be able to search it

Thanks hun, will take a look:thumbsup:

strike;7021478

I use to get 2 sandwich, a drink and an apple.

I used to get a sugar butty.

deek72;7022739

I used to get a sugar butty.

Eeeewwww loads of kids used to eat those. I still love a banana butty tho.

I would say if he is not overweight and on the whole eats everything ie. not leaving the sandwich and fruit, then it sounds fine.
    I think far better that he has a good lunch instead of snacking in the afternoon - it is the snacking that is really bad for their teeth - especially if it's something like raisens/ fruit.
    Maybe if anything I would say vary it as much as you can rather than giving less - who wants the same lunch every day? Put in different fruits/ different sandwich fillings etc etc Variety is good!
    x

queenlush;7024134

Eeeewwww loads of kids used to eat those. I still love a banana butty … Eeeewwww loads of kids used to eat those. I still love a banana butty tho.

Yeah I used to love those too or sugar and jam :-D
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1015
      2. Can't delete friends on Xbox 360 or accept any friend requests, anyone know…22
      3. Sad news about Barcelona26113
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764188

See more discussions